HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT:Who is the worst regular NHLer of all time?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2007, 07:28 AM
  #76
Crazyhorse
Registered User
 
Crazyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
Peter Worrell
/Thread?

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:35 AM
  #77
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Brent Fedyk
Jan Mertzig
Dave Farrish
Willlie Huber
Dave Barr
Nathan LaFayette
Barry Richter
Wayne Presley
Sergio Momesso

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:52 AM
  #78
Sockosensei
Registered User
 
Sockosensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nippon
Country: Japan
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
I'll take a crack at this one:

Mike Eastwood.

Highlights:
  • Hung on for 14 glorious seasons, with 7 franchises.
  • Averaged 9 goals and 16 assists per 82 games.
  • Traded mid season 4 times.
  • Wasn't a goon. Was neither an offensive star, nor the second coming of Bob Gainey.

In fact he's exactly the type of player who around the time he hits 28 years old you say "you know what you're gonna get from Mike Eastwood", which is usually followed by "that roster spot would be better spent on a kid with more potential upside at half the salary."
The freakish twist in the Eastwood story is that he always found a new home.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:59 AM
  #79
mjdlight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
I'll take a crack at this one:

Mike Eastwood.

Highlights:
  • Hung on for 14 glorious seasons, with 7 franchises.
  • Averaged 9 goals and 16 assists per 82 games.
  • Traded mid season 4 times.
  • Wasn't a goon. Was neither an offensive star, nor the second coming of Bob Gainey.

In fact he's exactly the type of player who around the time he hits 28 years old you say "you know what you're gonna get from Mike Eastwood", which is usually followed by "that roster spot would be better spent on a kid with more potential upside at half the salary."
The freakish twist in the Eastwood story is that he always found a new home.
Good, creative choice. Mike Eastwood...quietly mediocre in every way!

mjdlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
  #80
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
As long as he sticks with a franchise that has a fan base that respects his gritty style, I think he'll be fine. I agree that he needs to add offense, but even as is, most people around here love him.
In that sense he's not different than a lot of guys on this list than. That's what makes it hard, because there's no clear cut criteria.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
  #81
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
I'll take a crack at this one:

Mike Eastwood.

Highlights:
  • Hung on for 14 glorious seasons, with 7 franchises.
  • Averaged 9 goals and 16 assists per 82 games.
  • Traded mid season 4 times.
  • Wasn't a goon. Was neither an offensive star, nor the second coming of Bob Gainey.

In fact he's exactly the type of player who around the time he hits 28 years old you say "you know what you're gonna get from Mike Eastwood", which is usually followed by "that roster spot would be better spent on a kid with more potential upside at half the salary."
The freakish twist in the Eastwood story is that he always found a new home.
He wasn't the second coming of Bob Gainey but he was a very good defensive forward and almost always the top faceoff guy and top PK guy on his team.

While mediocre he probably isn't near the "worst" regular player ever. Nor even the worst 14 year vet - though he has to be in the bottom of the players that got 14 years in.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
  #82
Sockosensei
Registered User
 
Sockosensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nippon
Country: Japan
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Agreed.
There have definitely been players whose peak lack-of-value was higher (Nathan Lafayette in NY comes to mind), but they were usually out of the league in 3 years. The original criteria stated "I'm looking for the ultimate hanger on", which is really what made me think of Mike.

While a Gainey is a once a generation gem of a player, a solid one-way defensive forward is a dime a dozen --- pretty much any guy who can skate, has some guts, and has come to grips with the fact that he has no offensive game, can be that guy if he chooses to be. But few of them can hang on for 14 years.

If you know worse ones who've survived that long though, then I'm all ears

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
  #83
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
Agreed.
There have definitely been players whose peak lack-of-value was higher (Nathan Lafayette in NY comes to mind), but they were usually out of the league in 3 years. The original criteria stated "I'm looking for the ultimate hanger on", which is really what made me think of Mike.

While a Gainey is a once a generation gem of a player, a solid one-way defensive forward is a dime a dozen --- pretty much any guy who can skate, has some guts, and has come to grips with the fact that he has no offensive game, can be that guy if he chooses to be. But few of them can hang on for 14 years.

If you know worse ones who've survived that long though, then I'm all ears
He married my wife's university roommate. So I have heard a lot of stories about him. She met him a few times around the time Mike met his future wife during the first lock out in 1995. I never met him and the roommate is no longer in touch with my wife.

Nonetheless I have a bias towards him.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.