HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers take Lundqvist to Arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Tumsh

vCash: 500
Quick question from a guy who isn't all that familiar with the rules and stuff:

Why would they sign a 2 year deal, rather than a 1 year deal? Could other teams make offers if they only signed a one year deal? Or does it have to do with when Jagr's contract expires etc and they will have more room under the salary cap?

Old
07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
I hate Scott Gomez and I also think that 7M is way too much for the guy... only time will tell with that offer thou and that is the nature of the beast.

And unless you have a huge ego as a player, you understand where the rangers are coming from with their two big signings.

Lundquvist will get signed and I dont think there will be any bitterness there and so far there doesnt seem to be either. Avery may or may not be back after his one/two year arbitration award... all depends on how you as a player want to look at the situation... you can look at it is "woe is me, I got passed up, they didnt take care of me first" or you can look at it as "my team went out and got two players that we needed to be sucesful for the next 5 years" i would look more at the latter.
I don't believe what I'm reading.
Can you be serious?
HOW can this team improve and consider letting Avery go?
Did you see how much of an igniter and spark plug he was....HE was one of the KEY reasons why this team went so far.
Without him, they don't make the playoffs.

I just can't believe a Ranger fan would justify adding expensive bodies like Gomez and Drury while casting aside cheaper players like Nylander and Avery that actually had chemistry and made this team win.

Unreal.

Old
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewinder View Post
I just can't believe a Ranger fan would justify adding expensive bodies like Gomez and Drury while casting aside cheaper players like Nylander and Avery that actually had chemistry and made this team win.

Unreal.
How was Nylander casted aside? He wasnt coming cheap and he had a deal on the table he could have signed but he elected not to and fire his agent instead.

They got two top centers instead, expensive yes...

Old
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
How was Nylander casted aside? He wasnt coming cheap and he had a deal on the table he could have signed but he elected not to and fire his agent instead.

They got two top centers instead, expensive yes...
Nylander played chicken and lost...he had a solid deal on the table from the Rangers, he thought he could get away with pushing for more and lost...its that simple really...I find no fault in the Rangers there. I would have liked to see him back...he gambled and lost!

Old
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
Quick question from a guy who isn't all that familiar with the rules and stuff:

Why would they sign a 2 year deal, rather than a 1 year deal? Could other teams make offers if they only signed a one year deal? Or does it have to do with when Jagr's contract expires etc and they will have more room under the salary cap?
They'd sign a two year deal in order to avoid going through this process again next year (when Lundqvist would be RFA again). Plus, the team can only choose to take a player to arbitration once, so other teams could wave offer sheets to Lundqvist starting July 1st.

Old
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewinder View Post

Unreal.
I personally don't think we would have won anything with Nylander. He is good offensively but is a liability in the defensive zone. Not to mention he is pretty soft, and playing with Jagr doesn't help. Gomez will fill in his spot perfectly

As for Drury, I don't think anyone here will regret this signing. Although he isn't a massive point producer, he is one hell of a teammate. Him AND Shanny on the same team is more than anyone can ever ask for. Plus, he scores when it matters - in the playoffs. What is the difference in having a 120 point scorer that puts up as much points as a 70 point scorer in the playoffs? Same can be said for Gomez, he was exceptional this year in the playoffs. Putting up tons of points in the regular season is fine and dandy, but if you're not going to show up when it matters then what the hell is the point? I know these two will and that's all I care about

Old
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Nylander played chicken and lost...he had a solid deal on the table from the Rangers, he thought he could get away with pushing for more and lost...its that simple really...I find no fault in the Rangers there. I would have liked to see him back...he gambled and lost!
Thats what im sayin!

Old
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
The flip side of the coin is that the contract Nylander refused to sign was for under 4 million a year--he got an extra 7+ million and another year to play in the NHL. And there's no guarantees that either one or both of the free agent signings will work nearly as well on the ice come crunch time as they do in the middle of a July heat wave.

This time next year, we might be saying the Rangers gambled and lost, it's just too early to tell.

Old
07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
hdw

Quote:
One can argue if Nyls really lost.

Sure, he wont have Jagr on his line, he wont have MSG as his home arena and his chances for a cup is, let's say 'limited'.

But he's got a nice salary, a long contract, relativly short move for his extensive family and he's got Ovie to compensate if he's missing Jagr.

And Rangers have Drury and Gomez.

I'd say that they both played chicken and both won

Old
07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I personally don't think we would have won anything with Nylander. He is good offensively but is a liability in the defensive zone. Not to mention he is pretty soft, and playing with Jagr doesn't help. Gomez will fill in his spot perfectly

As for Drury, I don't think anyone here will regret this signing. Although he isn't a massive point producer, he is one hell of a teammate. Him AND Shanny on the same team is more than anyone can ever ask for. Plus, he scores when it matters - in the playoffs. What is the difference in having a 120 point scorer that puts up as much points as a 70 point scorer in the playoffs? Same can be said for Gomez, he was exceptional last year in the playoffs. Putting up tons of points in the regular season is fine and dandy, but if you're not going to show up when it matters then what the hell is the point? I know these two will and that's all I care about
I remember watching that Overtime game between the Lightning and the Debbies and seeing Gomez block a pass - rush down the left wing and bury one over Holmqvists shoudler to end the game.

After i threw the remote in disgust I thought to myself what a clutch player he is because he always seemed to pop in a big one every year for that team. He scores big ones, theres no butts about it.

Old
07-11-2007, 10:26 AM
bender13

Anyone see this yet? 1 year contract.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Old
07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Seeing how Lunqvist has re-signed for one year (note the sticky thread), this thread is now closed.