HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

General Rugby talk thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2007, 04:48 AM
  #26
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
No, they are the best defensive team, its not close.

The fact is they allowed only 15 points where by all rights they should have been down by 30 given their hopeless territorial play, and in the end that is what won them the game. Their defense was excellent in both halves, not sure what you were watching.

Mauger royally sucked at 12 as well that game. And what are the alternatives at 13? Muliaina can't exactly fill you with confidence as a centre, largely in part because you nullify his impact as a fullback, MacDonald is also iffy (and injured), Nonu is off the radar, that young guy (Conrad Smith, I think) hasn't played in a while due to injury as well...I think its something too big to brush off espcially when they're going to have to go through the likes of Sterling Mortlock and Brian O'Driscoll.


Last edited by clefty: 07-08-2007 at 04:57 AM.
clefty is offline  
Old
07-08-2007, 05:11 AM
  #27
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
My predictions


Group A - South Africa, England (Tonga, Samoa, USA)
Group B - Australia, Wales (Fiji, Canada, Japan)
Group C - New Zealand, Italy (Scotland, Romania, Portugal)
Group D - France, Ireland (Argentina, Nambia, Georgia)

My upset of course is Italy finishing in second ahead of Scotland.

Haven't been Happy with Ireland as of late. Argentina WILL give them a run but I see Ireland just coming out on top (2nd place) over argentina...

Q-Finals

AUSTRALIA VS ENGLAND - Australia advance with a score of 30-17
NEW ZEALAND VS IRELAND - NZ crush the irish 52 -27
SOUTH AFRICA VS WALES - S.Africa have some trouble w/ the welsh but win 25-19
FRANCE VS ITALY - France advance after good showing by Italy 42-26

S-FINALS

AUSTRALIA VS NEW ZEALAND - NZ beat the aussies in a hard game, 23-17
SOUTH AFRICA VS FRANCE - France at home defeat the South Africans 33-30

FINAL

NEW ZEALAND 34
FRANCE 36

NZ are upset as France run out winners at HOME.

GarretJoseph* is offline  
Old
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
  #28
McBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
My predictions


Group A - South Africa, England (Tonga, Samoa, USA)
Group B - Australia, Wales (Fiji, Canada, Japan)
Group C - New Zealand, Italy (Scotland, Romania, Portugal)
Group D - France, Ireland (Argentina, Nambia, Georgia)
I don't know about that... Argentina's looked really strong recently, that group's going to be a tough one.

Anyone know if it's televised in Canada, or if it'll be live on the net anywhere? Thanks

McBlaze is offline  
Old
07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
  #29
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,709
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlaze View Post
Anyone know if it's televised in Canada, or if it'll be live on the net anywhere? Thanks
I'm pretty sure the rights are tied up with Setanta at the moment which means that pubs with Setanta Sports and Setanta Broadband are the only places where you can watch the World Cup, at least live anyway.

Unfortunetely MediaZone wont have it either.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
07-10-2007, 01:15 PM
  #30
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,709
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post

Mauger royally sucked at 12 as well that game.
That was far and away the worst game I've ever seen him play. Not only was he a non-factor offensively, but he was actively destructive defensively.

Quote:
And what are the alternatives at 13? Muliaina can't exactly fill you with confidence as a centre, largely in part because you nullify his impact as a fullback, MacDonald is also iffy (and injured), Nonu is off the radar, that young guy (Conrad Smith, I think) hasn't played in a while due to injury as well...I think its something too big to brush off espcially when they're going to have to go through the likes of Sterling Mortlock and Brian O'Driscoll.
When he's healthy, Smith is definitely the best option, I don't like McDonald or Muliana at 13 either.

Considering just how good this All Black team can be, I find it remarkable that they do it without a solid outside centre, nevermind an elite one. But that could be their downfall in the end, especially if Mauger has any games in the World Cup like this one. It doesn't really matter how good your wings are if there's nobody to get them the ball.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
  #31
McBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
This is how I'm thinking it will go:

A - RSA, ENG
B - AUS, FIJ
C - NZ, SCT
D - FRA, ARG (Argentina beat the Irish earlier in the year, I think they'll do it again)

RSA will trounce Fiji
Australia will get its revenge for the last final
NZ will wreck the Argentines
and France will eke out a win against the Scots

Then, in the SFs, the aussies will stonewall the All Blacks, and the Boks will knock off the French

Final - RSA beats AUS - The aussie d just can't contain all of Habana, Monty, and Steyn

McBlaze is offline  
Old
07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
  #32
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,709
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlaze View Post
D - FRA, ARG (Argentina beat the Irish earlier in the year, I think they'll do it again)

Well, they beat the Ireland that didn't play Horan, Rory Best, Hayes, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Easterby, Wallace, Leamy, Stringer, O'Gara, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Horgan, Hickie or Dempsey so its best not to go off that alone. All those games showed is just how putrid Ireland's depth at fly half is.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
07-11-2007, 06:30 PM
  #33
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
I don't see South Africa making a World Cup final away from home, let alone winning one. Like France, they travel poorly.

And there is no way Fiji make it ahead of Wales. Fiji are horrible, Wales are pretty good. And then you double that with the fact Wales get to play at Cardiff twice during the group stages.

Quote:
The aussie d just can't contain all of Habana, Monty, and Steyn
Last time they played; at Newlands, no less, Australia kept them to one try and only went down due to a last minute field goal.

clefty is offline  
Old
07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
  #34
BMann
Registered User
 
BMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watford
Country: England
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
I'd hardly say Italy beating Scotland is a shock.Scottish rugby is in absolute disarray & that Italian pack is as formidable as they come.

The Pumas have been training very well in Pensacola & they can certainly beat either France or Ireland though they will be very tough games.

Fiji & Samoa at full strength can make it too. Their backlines esp.Fiji are devastating (hopefully Caucau is getting prepared) but its their packs I'm worried about.

I hope the likes of Rumania & Canada who were making sterling progress at closing the gap with the so called Tier 1 nations can improve on their showing from 2003.

However until these nations are inc. meaningful international competition on a regular basis & given a bigger slice of the IRB profits & equal voting rights at the IRB then I fear the same questions arising in the aftermath of 2003 will arise again when we get some terrible mismatches.

And the clubs had better release their players this time. The likes of Hendrik Meyer playing for Namibia could take off 10 point off a deficit for instance .It might not sound much but it makes the games more respectable.

Best of luck to Portugual making their debut. In the near future theire needs to be a re-evaluation of the 6N in favour of say two groups of ten teams say Russia,Rumania,Georgia,Spain & Portugual are added as this can only be beneficial in the long term at making these nations come up to speed.

BMann is offline  
Old
07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
  #35
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,709
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Best of luck to Portugual making their debut. In the near future theire needs to be a re-evaluation of the 6N in favour of say two groups of ten teams say Russia,Rumania,Georgia,Spain & Portugual are added as this can only be beneficial in the long term at making these nations come up to speed.
Argentina deserves to be in the Six Nations before any of the Div 2 countries (they should be in the Tri Nations but that's a whole different story).

There has supposedly been talk of a promotion/relegation system for the tournament, but that would have to involve a playoff or series involving the last and first placed teams to be fair to the top tier.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
07-12-2007, 04:38 PM
  #36
BMann
Registered User
 
BMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watford
Country: England
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
The IRB have got to show some more imagination at this point.

Sure the likes of Spain & Russia would no doubt suffer big defeats initially whereas the Oaks & Lelos would be tough at home but unless its done it will take far longer to grow viable domestic competitions & interest in these nations (aside from Georgia where it is followed very closely)

There was an idea mooted during a meeting of European Rugby about a one up & one down system but only in perhaps say ten years. After all there was huge resistance to the idea of Italy joining when in 195 they were at their previous peak.

As for the Pumas something has to be done. The UAR is a farce in itself but they did moot the idea of playing in Spain or Belgium as a base.

Logistically easier to get their players v-v Tri-Nations .However their natural berth has to be there despite the NZRUs continual intransigence & excuse of jet lag induced fatigue among players.

Puma possible line up from Loffreda :

Roncero--------- Ledesma------------Hasan
----Alvarez--------------Lobbe------------
Lobbe-----------Leguizamon-------Durand--

------------------Pichot-----Todeschini
Borges ---- F.Contepomi---Aramburu---------Bosch
-----------------Hernandez----------------------------

Some replacements would likely inc.Gaitan Tiesi Ayerza & Scelzo.

BMann is offline  
Old
07-13-2007, 07:33 AM
  #37
BMann
Registered User
 
BMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watford
Country: England
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Manu Samoa squad announced.No Tagickibau but Lima makes a 5th World Cup Appearance.Three of the Tuilagi brothers are in. The youngest is still in the Wasps Academy the oldest is a retiree.

Forwards: Census Johnston (Saracens, UK), Justin Va'a (Glasgow Warriors, UK), Kasiano Lealamajua (Dax, France), Donald Kerslake (Vaiala, Samoa), Mahonri Schwalger (Hurricanes, NZ), Muliufi Salanoa (Scopa, Samoa), Silao Vaisolasefo (Alhambra, NZ), Filipo Levi (Ricoh, Japan), Kane Thompson (Wests, NZ), Iosefa Fekori (Auckland, NZ), Daniel Leo (London Wasps, UK), Henry Tuilagi (UK), Siu Lafaialii (Yokogawa, Japan), Semo Setiti (Docomo, Japan), Ulia Ulia (Marist, Samoa), Justin Purdie (Wellington, NZ).

Backs: Steven So'oialo (Harlequins, UK), Junior Poluleuligaga (North Harbour, NZ), Loki Crichton (Worcester, UK), Lolo Lui (Moataa, Samoa), Seilala Mapusua (London Irish, UK), Eliota Sapolu Fuimaono (Bath, UK), Jerry Meafou (Scopa, Samoa), Elvis Sevealii (Sale, UK), Anitelea Tuilagi (Leeds Tykes, UK), Brian Lima (Bristol, UK), David Lemi (Bristol, UK), Lome Fa'atau (Glasgow Warriors, UK), Alesana Tuilagi (Leicester, UK), Gavin Williams (Ponsonby, NZ).

BMann is offline  
Old
07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
  #38
McBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Fiji's also just announced its roster for the RWC:
http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,1...496007,00.html

Forwards: Graham Dewes, Alefoso Yalayalatabua, Sunia Koto, Vereniki Sauturaga, Jone Railomo, Henry Qiodravu, Bill Gadolo, Iferemi Rawaqa, Kele Lewere, Isoa Domolailai, Wame Lewaravu, Jone Qovu, Netani Talei, Semisi Naevo, Sisa Koyamaibole, Aca Ratuva, Akapusi Qerai

Backs: Jone Dunivucu, Mosese Rauluni, Nicky Little, Waisea Luveniyali, Seremaia Bai, Seru Rabeni, Kameli Ratuvou, Maleli Kunavore, Vilimone Delasau, Isoa Naivua, Filimone Bolavucu, Gabiriele Lovobalavu, Norman Ligairi

Interesting that they've left out Rupeni...

McBlaze is offline  
Old
07-14-2007, 04:58 AM
  #39
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlaze View Post
Interesting that they've left out Rupeni...
No its not. Why would they put him in? Apart from testing positive to a banned substance recently, he's completely uncoachable, has no heart, he's lazy, a renowned poor trainer, has previously been banned for 12 months in the past for going AWOL on the national team (he's a serial offender on this, the suspension was only lifted when he came crawling on his hands and knees begging for another chance, only for him to do it again) and is probably about 15kgs overweight.

Caucaunibuca is perhaps the biggest flash in the pan the professional era has ever seen.

clefty is offline  
Old
07-14-2007, 05:09 AM
  #40
BMann
Registered User
 
BMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watford
Country: England
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Its a real shame regarding Caucau but what can you do with an indolent individiual. The guy is a game breaker & one of the best wings in the world but its all for nothing if he's going to be a fool.

I'm afraid he'll end up in his home village ballooning in weight & drunk most of the day.

Other notable omissions are Bobo(perhaps from not turning up on time to last years PNC) & Raiwalui who I'd have thought would lead the side after coming back from international exile.

Also Ace Nacewa who has had S14 experience was not looked at. Strange. Fiji love shooting themselves in the foot.

BMann is offline  
Old
07-14-2007, 01:51 PM
  #41
BMann
Registered User
 
BMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Watford
Country: England
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Ric Suggitt has announced the Canuck squad.
Forwards:
Scott Franklin (Castaway-Wanderers), Dan Pletch (Oakville Crusaders), Mike Pletch (Oakville Crusaders), Jon Thiel (Bayside), Kevin Tkachuk (Glasgow Warriors), Aaron Carpenter (Brantford), Pat Riordan (Burnaby Lake), Mike Burak (Pau), Jamie Cudmore (Clermont-Auvergne), Mike James (Stade Français), Luke Tait (Overmach Parma), Colin Yukes (Agen) David Biddle (Meraloma), Nanyak Dala (Wild Oats), Adam Kleeberger (University of Victoria), Stan McKeen (Cornish Pirates), Sean-Michael Stephen (Beziers), Mike Webb (Swilers).

Backs:
Ed Fairhurst (Cornish Pirates), Matt Weingart (Castaway-Wanderers), Morgan Williams (capt. Albi), Nathan Hirayama, (University of Victoria), Ander Monro (Waterloo), Ryan Smith (Montauban), Craig Culpan (Meraloma), Derek Daypuck (Castaway-Wanderers), David Spicer (University of Victoria), Nick Trenkel (Capilano), Justin Mensah-Coker (Albi), James Pritchard (Bedford), Mike Pyke (Montauban), DTH Van der Merwe (James Bay AA).

Some decent performances in NZ & the likes of the Pletch twins should be aiming for a European club.

Hopefully this is the springboard for a return to where Canada was before the professional era when their fiercesome pack with the likes of Hadley, Snow & Cardinal & backs in Rees ,Graf & Lougheed put in some excellent performances.That 1991 QF against NZ could & should have been won.

BMann is offline  
Old
07-14-2007, 06:04 PM
  #42
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,709
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Hopefully this is the springboard for a return to where Canada was before the professional era when their fiercesome pack with the likes of Hadley, Snow & Cardinal & backs in Rees ,Graf & Lougheed put in some excellent performances.That 1991 QF against NZ could & should have been won.
I don't think we're there yet. There is alot of young players to like, and more coming up through the system (James Buchanan and Rogan Verboven from here in Calgary will be playing professionally in the next 18 months), but Canadian rugby is still trying to grow at the grassroots level. The vast majority of players don't start playing until high school, and they don't start playing meaningful club rugby with proper coaching until they're usually 17. There also isn't enough support from Rugby Canada in decent devellopment, they need to send the top young players abroad for at least a while so they can learn the game better, not forcing them to pay their own way to a U23 tournament.

Its all definitely improving, just slowly. There is a desire to have proper club rugby at a high level in provinces outside of BC and Ontario, rather than just a beer league, and the Super League is definitely a step in the right direction (even if it is killing club rugby in some places and makes alot of players think they're much better than they are).

I'm just hoping for 2 wins for this team (beating Japan and upsetting Fiji) and for respectable performances against Australia and Wales.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
07-15-2007, 07:20 PM
  #43
CycloneLaunch
...
 
CycloneLaunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 10,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
No, they are the best defensive team, its not close.

The fact is they allowed only 15 points where by all rights they should have been down by 30 given their hopeless territorial play, and in the end that is what won them the game. Their defense was excellent in both halves, not sure what you were watching.
Mauger royally sucked at 12 as well that game. And what are the alternatives at 13? Muliaina can't exactly fill you with confidence as a centre, largely in part because you nullify his impact as a fullback, MacDonald is also iffy (and injured), Nonu is off the radar, that young guy (Conrad Smith, I think) hasn't played in a while due to injury as well...I think its something too big to brush off espcially when they're going to have to go through the likes of Sterling Mortlock and Brian O'Driscoll.
Untrue, they were average in the first half and where only saved by poor execution on the All Blacks part.

The All Blacks home test against Australia should be one of the most interesting of the year. If Australia win it'll be a huge momentum boost.

CycloneLaunch is offline  
Old
07-15-2007, 07:21 PM
  #44
CycloneLaunch
...
 
CycloneLaunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 10,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
My predictions


Group A - South Africa, England (Tonga, Samoa, USA)
Group B - Australia, Wales (Fiji, Canada, Japan)
Group C - New Zealand, Italy (Scotland, Romania, Portugal)
Group D - France, Ireland (Argentina, Nambia, Georgia)

My upset of course is Italy finishing in second ahead of Scotland.

Haven't been Happy with Ireland as of late. Argentina WILL give them a run but I see Ireland just coming out on top (2nd place) over argentina...

Q-Finals

AUSTRALIA VS ENGLAND - Australia advance with a score of 30-17
NEW ZEALAND VS IRELAND - NZ crush the irish 52 -27
SOUTH AFRICA VS WALES - S.Africa have some trouble w/ the welsh but win 25-19
FRANCE VS ITALY - France advance after good showing by Italy 42-26

S-FINALS

AUSTRALIA VS NEW ZEALAND - NZ beat the aussies in a hard game, 23-17
SOUTH AFRICA VS FRANCE - France at home defeat the South Africans 33-30

FINAL

NEW ZEALAND 34
FRANCE 36

NZ are upset as France run out winners at HOME
.

This would be a shock, considering France have been absolutely thrashed at home in the past years by NZ.

CycloneLaunch is offline  
Old
07-15-2007, 08:37 PM
  #45
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Untrue, they were average in the first half and where only saved by poor execution on the All Blacks part.
Its absolutely true. Execution of the attacking team has nothing to do with a defensive team's line speed, one on one tackling, breakdown pressure and defensive pattern.

New Zealand did bomb a try down the right fringes 30m out with a wayward pass, but I'm completely flabbergasted that anyone would say the Australians defensive structure wasn't good in that half.

ADD: The lack of execution from New Zealand was a by-product of pressure from the Australian defensive line.


Last edited by clefty: 07-15-2007 at 10:09 PM.
clefty is offline  
Old
07-16-2007, 02:01 AM
  #46
CycloneLaunch
...
 
CycloneLaunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 10,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Its absolutely true. Execution of the attacking team has nothing to do with a defensive team's line speed, one on one tackling, breakdown pressure and defensive pattern.

New Zealand did bomb a try down the right fringes 30m out with a wayward pass, but I'm completely flabbergasted that anyone would say the Australians defensive structure wasn't good in that half.

ADD: The lack of execution from New Zealand was a by-product of pressure from the Australian defensive line.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm flabbergasted you would call a defence that let in two, but could have been 3 tries in one half "excellent".

On another note, does anyone else remeber this match from the '95 world cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPCbuQxJr00

CycloneLaunch is offline  
Old
07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
  #47
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm flabbergasted you would call a defence that let in two, but could have been 3 tries in one half "excellent".
Did you watch the game?

Australia gave up territory early through dumb mistakes (ie, Julian Huxley's kickoff going out on the full and handling errors) and dumb penalties which lead to New Zealands early points. Thats the fault of the attack and team discipline, not the defense.

To say a team played poorly defensively because they gave up two tries (not four, not five, but two whole tries) is asinine. Your claim is like blaming an NFL defense for allowing scores when the offense turns the ball over in the red zone.

clefty is offline  
Old
07-17-2007, 04:19 AM
  #48
CycloneLaunch
...
 
CycloneLaunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 10,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Did you watch the game?

Australia gave up territory early through dumb mistakes (ie, Julian Huxley's kickoff going out on the full and handling errors) and dumb penalties which lead to New Zealands early points. Thats the fault of the attack and team discipline, not the defense.

To say a team played poorly defensively because they gave up two tries (not four, not five, but two whole tries) is asinine. Your claim is like blaming an NFL defense for allowing scores when the offense turns the ball over in the red zone.
Two tries in a half is not excellent defence, it's adequate defence, of course they were excellent in the second half. Blame it on whatever you want, but they buckled pretty easily once the All Blacks were inside their 22, not exactly what i'd call excellent defence.

CycloneLaunch is offline  
Old
07-17-2007, 06:00 AM
  #49
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
You're clutching at straws. Neither try was a result of a defensive lapse. You had a pick-and-drive from one metre out, and then a two or three man overlap because the Wallabies had been scrambling for 9 or 10 phases. Any team worth their salt would have scored in those circumstances.

Defensively they did nothing differently in the second half. What they did was tighten up their ball security, use a more focused kicking game and get quicker ruck ball. As a result, they weren't forced to play so much in their own half. Now you can claim that I'm 'blaming' all you want, but it really is a fundamental aspect of the game.

I mean, we started off with "ordinary", now you've upgraded them to "adequate". Pretty soon you'll be agreeing with me.

clefty is offline  
Old
07-17-2007, 09:42 AM
  #50
CycloneLaunch
...
 
CycloneLaunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 10,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
You're clutching at straws. Neither try was a result of a defensive lapse. You had a pick-and-drive from one metre out, and then a two or three man overlap because the Wallabies had been scrambling for 9 or 10 phases. Any team worth their salt would have scored in those circumstances.

Defensively they did nothing differently in the second half. What they did was tighten up their ball security, use a more focused kicking game and get quicker ruck ball. As a result, they weren't forced to play so much in their own half. Now you can claim that I'm 'blaming' all you want, but it really is a fundamental aspect of the game.

I mean, we started off with "ordinary", now you've upgraded them to "adequate". Pretty soon you'll be agreeing with me.
Means the same thing to me. I'm not upgrading it, i'm just stating it differently.

A pick and drive from one metre out was not a result of a defensive lapse? I suppose they just magically appeared one metre out from the line rather than working there way half way down field? In my opinion an excellent defence system would not concede a try so easily.

You can say i'm clutching at straws or that soon ill be agreeing with you, but i'm no closer to agreeing with you now than i was two weeks ago about the Wallabies being 'hands down' the best defensive side in the world.

CycloneLaunch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.