HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rebuilt??

Old
07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Rebuilt??

I'm not picking on the Islanders right now i swear i'm not but I find it interesting that our 20-10 prospects voted by the fans rivals the 1-10 prospects posted by hockeysfuture.com

Now, again I'm not picking on the Islanders they still have enough NHL talent to compete for a playoff spot...My point is it's pretty cool that the Rangers prospect pool is as deep as it's ever been...I mean Hiller, Kveton, and Ryan might not even win the poll above and they would easily be on a lot of teams top 10 prospect list...

Sather, Maloney, Clarke, and all the scouts that made the commitment at the end of 03-04 to rebuild this organization did there job...

If Sather was fired during the firesale and another GM was brought in and did the same exact things Sather has done everyone of us would have a statue of the GM on our front lawns....

Obviously I'm not saying Sather has finished the job (far from it) but in a matter of 3 years the Rangers have been rebuilt....maybe completly?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

It took long enough... but yes i'd have to agree that Sather has done an about face, but i think it was a total organization decision. Things have been good lately the past 3 years and getting better. It wil lbe interesting to see how these two huge UFA deals work out though, that will be a challenge. Sather couldnt help himself to pull a once in a lifetime FA season.

But theres always more work to be done - If Sather sticks around hes gonna have to consistently improve this team and its future for another 3 years before I think of his term here as above average. I think the hard work is ahead, tough decisions filling this team in and we will really see if these prospects, though sitting in a very deep pool, will actually make it up and contribute.

As far as the Islanders go, they took a huge, huge hit with that O'Marra deal. But you never know when you have drafted a solid NHL player - look at Prucha and Henrik in the lower rounds.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 12:59 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'm not picking on the Islanders right now i swear i'm not but I find it interesting that our 20-10 prospects voted by the fans rivals the 1-10 prospects posted by hockeysfuture.com

Now, again I'm not picking on the Islanders they still have enough NHL talent to compete for a playoff spot...My point is it's pretty cool that the Rangers prospect pool is as deep as it's ever been...I mean Hiller, Kveton, and Ryan might not even win the poll above and they would easily be on a lot of teams top 10 prospect list...

Sather, Maloney, Clarke, and all the scouts that made the commitment at the end of 03-04 to rebuild this organization did there job...

If Sather was fired during the firesale and another GM was brought in and did the same exact things Sather has done everyone of us would have a statue of the GM on our front lawns....

Obviously I'm not saying Sather has finished the job (far from it) but in a matter of 3 years the Rangers have been rebuilt....maybe completly?
Yes, the days of Garth Murray being our top prospect is over.

I would not say we are completely rebuilt. IMO we still need top end forwards for the future. We really only have one in Cherepanov. Dubinsky, Anisimov, Dawes, Pyatt, Callahan are nice players but have alot to prove.

I would love to trade some of our depth prospects and this year's #1 pick to move up in a GREAT draft. It's great that we have so many but they are all coming at once because of the purge a few years ago. Not all will make it and we will probably lose some, so trading quantity for quality should be our goal.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 01:05 PM
trench23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Yes, the days of Garth Murray being our top prospect is over.

I would not say we are completely rebuilt. IMO we still need top end forwards for the future. We really only have one in Cherepanov. Dubinsky, Anisimov, Dawes, Pyatt, Callahan are nice players but have alot to prove.

I would love to trade some of our depth prospects and this year's #1 pick to move up in a GREAT draft. It's great that we have so many but they are all coming at once because of the purge a few years ago. Not all will make it and we will probably lose some, so trading quantity for quality should be our goal.

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 01:10 PM
thestaalera*

I put nothing into HF rankings. Girardi wasn't even given a rating by HF till a couple months ago because they thought so little of him. Callahan was rated as a career minor league player. So was Prucha. Their Sauer rating has been laughable from day one along with their Dupont rating. Welcome to the anti-NY hatred in the hockey world.

thestaalera* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by signlundqvist View Post
I put nothing into HF rankings. Girardi wasn't even given a rating by HF till a couple months ago because they thought so little of him. Callahan was rated as a career minor league player. So was Prucha. Their Sauer rating has been laughable from day one along with their Dupont rating. Welcome to the anti-NY hatred in the hockey world.
Feel free to go over their rankings are redo them to fit your needs. No matter who the Top 10 out of that group is, the point remains the same.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Pizza

Such a great thread subject SOS. I just had to comment quickly.

Rebuilt? No, but absolutely on the way.

Everybody with good points.

The quality of Rangers prospects is continually maligned and marginalized on these boards. This area is still our greatest strength, IMO. It use to be the #1 organization liability. Now it's an asset in the space of a very few years.

From the day of the draft in '04 Sather pronounced our picks as assets to be used in possible future deals. That has and will continue to happen. So far so good. Moving up in this years draft is something Slat's has been planning, IMO....maybe for awhile. I'd like to see us get all the way to the top. Especially if a certain prospect gets special consideration from the NHL. Wonder what that would take?

Statues for the front lawn? Hmmmm.....

Would that include a lantern and jockey outfit? I could be interested.

Great thread SOS.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

All will be forgiven if we win one Cup.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 01:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by signlundqvist View Post
On our previous prospect poll, Girardi was ranked 13th. The one before, he may not have even been ranked. Not many people thought highly of Girardi before he was called up.

I can't really remember HF staff calling Prucha or Callahan career minor leaguers. Where is that coming from?

The prospect list for us at HF.com is done by Leslie Treff, a former amateur hockey player and a lady who has been watching Junior talent since before you were alive. You may disagree with her rankings (I do, as a matter of fact), but to accuse her of "anti-NY bias" just makes you look absolutely uninformed. She's smart, fair, and knows her ****.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
On our previous prospect poll, Girardi was ranked 13th. The one before, he may not have even been ranked. Not many people thought highly of Girardi before he was called up.

I can't really remember HF staff calling Prucha or Callahan career minor leaguers. Where is that coming from?

The prospect list for us at HF.com is done by Leslie Treff, a former amateur hockey player and a lady who has been watching Junior talent since before you were alive. You may disagree with her rankings (I do, as a matter of fact), but to accuse her of "anti-NY bias" just makes you look absolutely uninformed. She's smart, fair, and knows her ****.
I got nothing but nice things to say about Treff, she is dooing a great work that I enjoy a ton, and I am not expecting one person alone to keep track of like 60 prospect we got spread out over the world.

But HF, TSN, THN -- never got any track whatsoever on these players after they are drafted in Europe nor international tournaments.

Lundqvist was named top goalie in the WCH's in 04', and still wasn't on anyones NYR top 10 list. Prucha beat out Havlat for a all NHL Czech team for the WCH on home ice in 04', got top PP minutes on that team, and still wasn't on anyones top 10 NYR list.

Leaving out Lundqvist from the top 50 lists of prospects that year is like leaving out Crosby on a top 50 in the NHL this season... Its really that bad.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 02:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I got nothing but nice things to say about Treff, she is dooing a great work that I enjoy a ton, and I am not expecting one person alone to keep track of like 60 prospect we got spread out over the world.

But HF, TSN, THN -- never got any track whatsoever on these players after they are drafted in Europe nor international tournaments.

Lundqvist was named top goalie in the WCH's in 04', and still wasn't on anyones NYR top 10 list. Prucha beat out Havlat for a all NHL Czech team for the WCH on home ice in 04', got top PP minutes on that team, and still wasn't on anyones top 10 NYR list.

Leaving out Lundqvist from the top 50 lists of prospects that year is like leaving out Crosby on a top 50 in the NHL this season... Its really that bad.
Agreed, Ola. But the specific players named by resignlundqvist obviously weren't Euros, and were assessed pretty fairly IMO. Especially Girardi, who was underneath pretty much everyones' radar before the season started.

Old
07-11-2007, 02:32 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Ranking and projecting prospects is an inexact science. There isn't going to be ANY list regardless of who compiles it that predicts the success or failures of a prospect 100% accurately. Prospect lists are simply a general guide to go by.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 03:02 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I have to think he was referring to prior to Leslie coming on the scene. The HF coverage by Leslie is a million times better than the no coverage that was in place after the Edge and Guru fallouts.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
I have to think he was referring to prior to Leslie coming on the scene. The HF coverage by Leslie is a million times better than the no coverage that was in place after the Edge and Guru fallouts.

True indeed, though the guy I was responded to has not made a single positive (or neutral) comment thus far so I'm not at all sure that's what he's referring to.