HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Time.

Old
07-11-2007, 03:04 PM
JamesG1221

vCash: 500
Avery Time.

Well now that all the other key Rangers are back on board for the upcoming season it would definitely be nice to see Avery agree to terms before an arbitration hearing some time next month.

He said after the season that this is where he wants to be and it seems as if his teammates along with most Ranger fans want him back as well...This is still the guy who was center stage scoring the goal against St. Louis which started the 180 this team pulled (what were they 17-4-6 once he got here?)

He called for Scott Gomez at the end of the year and as luck would have it- here he is along with Sean's boy Shanny.

The pieces are just about all in place except for him at this point..I think it'd be cool to see him sign a deal even if its just for one year...

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 03:28 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
Well now that all the other key Rangers are back on board for the upcoming season it would definitely be nice to see Avery agree to terms before an arbitration hearing some time next month.

He said after the season that this is where he wants to be and it seems as if his teammates along with most Ranger fans want him back as well...This is still the guy who was center stage scoring the goal against St. Louis which started the 180 this team pulled (what were they 17-4-6 once he got here?)

He called for Scott Gomez at the end of the year and as luck would have it- here he is along with Sean's boy Shanny.

The pieces are just about all in place except for him at this point..I think it'd be cool to see him sign a deal even if its just for one year...
Defintely NOT one year. that would make him a UFA.

Three years...lock him up.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Both sides would be crazy not to get a multi-year deal done. Fans love him, team mates feed off of him, and he performs well here. "GET IT DONE GLEN!"

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

take care of him and hossa

i would get hossa, and even if you dont like him, you should, because if we didnt that would mean we have to call up 2 prospects to play 4th line time. either tht or Orr plays 82 games, which i dont think we should have

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Though I love Avery and what he brings to the team and I want him signed ASAP - I would give him a 2 year deal.

Theres something mysterious about this guy that makes me a little uneasy (thats part of his draw)
and i think it would be wise as a business decision to not go overboard and sign him longterm (3 years and up)

He also seems liek the type that can get complacent in one place if he gets too comfortable. Hes the type of player thats good when hes on his toes and is in the spotlight. Giving him a longterm deal might not be the best way to extract that confidence. I'm sure the length of a deal doesnt go into a players pysche that much but you get the idea. Sometimes you get a players best during their "walk years".

Keep him close to the vest sign him for two years and RFA in 10' if you can. It also gives you a chance to re-evaluate what hes done and by then the team will be a different entity if Jagr is finshed.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Fletch

I agree, HBNYC...

there may be guys coming up through the system who can provide energy, some offense, and come at a cheaper price tag in two seasons when compared to Avery.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Sometimes you get a players best during their "walk years".
Sometimes? More often than not I'd say.

But good post, I agree theres no need to go overboard with Avery.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:28 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Actually for a guy like Avery, you might just concede the UFA status in 10' if it gives you the right price.

If he likes it so much here he'll come back. Especially after seeing him take the Rangers to arbitration this year. See where his heart is then.

If it helps the contract negotiations i'd give it to him to knock down the number. Like Fletch says - they'll most likely be some cheaper options down the road in the vast prospect pool everyone loves.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
ziggy_puppy

How much money is left to spend on Avery and Hossa? Because I added up the salaries on the NHLPA's Ranger page and it's already over 53 million which just doesnt make sense.

ziggy_puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 05:22 PM
NYR1724

It makes sense that the Rangers are over $50.3 million in total salaries, but the cap hit (players average salary over the life of the contract) is what counts against the salary cap.

Check this out:

http://www.nhlscap.com/

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
broadwayblue

interesting point on the 2 year deal. got to wonder whether Sean will push for a longer term. i'd probably be ok with 3 years, but wouldn't go any longer than that.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote