HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Summer Reading

Old
07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
and if you would like something more modern philosophy

Identity and Violence - Amartya Sen
Banker To the Poor - Cant remember the guys name but he won the Nobel peace Prize recently

anything form Chomsky is amazing as well... Hegemony or Survival, Failed States,Media Control...
Chomsky is awesome .....Media Control would be good in light of Michael Moore's <correct IMO> outburst on the media being controlled. It's a light read.

Lots of good books mentioned here .... maybe we should sticky this thread

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Chomsky is awesome .....Media Control would be good in light of Michael Moore's <correct IMO> outburst on the media being controlled. It's a light read.

I have a few issues with Moore but I thought his outburst the other day was right on the money too. The one unfortunate thing about it though is it cast Wolf Blitzer in the eyes of a lot of people as some kind of a victim. My wife for one thought he (Moore) was way over the line even though she basically agreed with him. I don't know though--I thought it might have been nice to see a media shill admit that the media was used.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR27 View Post
I am actually going to meet Kozol in a few weeks for Baltimore County's new teacher orientation. He writes a lot about education and released one called "Letters to a New Teacher" or something to that effect which he is going to talk about and sign for all new teachers in the district.

To continue this thread though:

The Prince - Maciavelli

somewhat complex but wow
can you get me a autographed edition????

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post

The last thing I want to do on these boards is start some sort of Michael Moore Argument, but I saw Sicko (Which my employer made a cameo appearance in... No I don't personally Deny people coverage or Call people looking for money, Infact I probably help insure some of your children) and I thought it was spot on as far as the horror stories they focused on in the beginning of the film. They really didn't surprise me at all.
So I give mike props for ripping wolf a new one cause I have hated wolf blitzer ever since katrina. A few weeks following the storm when CNN was swarming in the frenzy of the situation they had a guy from the Nat'l weather Service on talking about another up coming hurricane that looked like it was going to hit New Orleans again and wolf was eatting up:

Wolf: Is this storm going to be as DEADLY as katrina!?!?
Weather Guy: No, it will not be nearly as strong
Wolf: Are you sure its not going to KILL Hundreds and cause havoc on the crumbled city?!!
Weather Guy: Nope, the eye won't even hit the city directly

....Or something to that effect. After that, I've decided that wolf blitzer is nothing but a drama-seeking puke. Like CNN, Hate Wolf Blitzer.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck

I liked that one, it was a good read and steinbeck is a good author

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
can you get me a autographed edition????
cant promise anything, but if he is willing to sign 2 for me I would be happy for a fellow fan

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote