HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

An option for Lowe at the deadline

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 10:00 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
An option for Lowe at the deadline

If Lowe so decides (i.e. if they lose to the hawks), evidently Toronto was interested in Nedved but the Oilers outbid them (and yes, hell has frozen over). It's likely that Toronto is still interested in Nedved, and Lowe could probably grab a 2nd rounder for him from the leafs.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:36 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If Lowe so decides (i.e. if they lose to the hawks), evidently Toronto was interested in Nedved but the Oilers outbid them (and yes, hell has frozen over). It's likely that Toronto is still interested in Nedved, and Lowe could probably grab a 2nd rounder for him from the leafs.
What year? aren't their next 2 2nds gone?

Old
03-05-2004, 10:53 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
What year? aren't their next 2 2nds gone?
The leetch deal involved their 2nd next year, and I don't know what other trade they made that involved their 2nd this year...

Old
03-05-2004, 11:15 AM
speeds

Quote:
The leetch deal involved their 2nd next year, and I don't know what other trade they made that involved their 2nd this year...
grabbing Wesley at last years deadline cost them their 04 2nd

Old
03-05-2004, 11:20 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
LOL, I can't think of a trade that moved that either. Maybe Nolan? I guess I just assumed. the Leafs NEVER use their picks

Old
03-05-2004, 11:47 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
grabbing Wesley at last years deadline cost them their 04 2nd
good call...

but what was their compensation for losing him as a UFA?

Old
03-05-2004, 11:53 AM
speeds

Quote:
good call...

but what was their compensation for losing him as a UFA?
I don't think it's been established yet, and TOR probably wouldn't get one since they signed Klee as a replacement anyways (though Klee only costs 1.5 mil while Wesley cost CAR 2.75, so maybe the leafs will still get a pick - depends on other UFA signings)

or at least, the info isn't public knowledge, not sure how it works exactly. in the Oilers e-mail announcing the trade they said the pick moving to NYR was a "previously acquired" second rounder, which would be a weird way of wording it if it's EDM's own pick. They don't have any other 2nd, though that is where the Leetch compensation pick is expected to go.

but I'm not sure you can trade that pick yet, but you must be able to if they did

Old
03-05-2004, 04:52 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I don't think it's been established yet, and TOR probably wouldn't get one since they signed Klee as a replacement anyways (though Klee only costs 1.5 mil while Wesley cost CAR 2.75, so maybe the leafs will still get a pick - depends on other UFA signings)

or at least, the info isn't public knowledge, not sure how it works exactly. in the Oilers e-mail announcing the trade they said the pick moving to NYR was a "previously acquired" second rounder, which would be a weird way of wording it if it's EDM's own pick. They don't have any other 2nd, though that is where the Leetch compensation pick is expected to go.

but I'm not sure you can trade that pick yet, but you must be able to if they did
Heh. Yeah, that IS strange. Either it would be "future considerations", or a "conditional draft pick", or else you'd think they'd have to trade *their own* (Oilers') 2nd-round pick... Unless someone's already confirmed that they'll get a 2nd-rounder for the Leetch deal. Hmmm....interesting!

Bart

Old
03-06-2004, 12:56 AM
jadeddog

i could very well be wrong on this point, but i thought that it *was* decided that the oilers got a 2nd rounder for the leech fiasco..... please correct me if im wrong, but this is what i thought

Old
03-06-2004, 10:52 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i could very well be wrong on this point, but i thought that it *was* decided that the oilers got a 2nd rounder for the leech fiasco..... please correct me if im wrong, but this is what i thought
For Brian Leetch? Nope, I don't believe so. That's just what speculation brought us on the boards. The NHL doesn't really release compensation awards at the time of those trades.

For a 6 million dollar contract, though. It can be surmised that the compensation pick will indeed be in the 2nd round.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Allan

Lowe said that the pick in the trade "may" be the one for Leetch. I think it's conditional on whether that pick or the Oilers' second round pick is higher.

Closed Thread