HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

An option for Lowe at the deadline

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2004, 10:00 AM
  #1
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
An option for Lowe at the deadline

If Lowe so decides (i.e. if they lose to the hawks), evidently Toronto was interested in Nedved but the Oilers outbid them (and yes, hell has frozen over). It's likely that Toronto is still interested in Nedved, and Lowe could probably grab a 2nd rounder for him from the leafs.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 10:36 AM
  #2
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If Lowe so decides (i.e. if they lose to the hawks), evidently Toronto was interested in Nedved but the Oilers outbid them (and yes, hell has frozen over). It's likely that Toronto is still interested in Nedved, and Lowe could probably grab a 2nd rounder for him from the leafs.
What year? aren't their next 2 2nds gone?

s7ark is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 10:53 AM
  #3
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
What year? aren't their next 2 2nds gone?
The leetch deal involved their 2nd next year, and I don't know what other trade they made that involved their 2nd this year...

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:15 AM
  #4
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The leetch deal involved their 2nd next year, and I don't know what other trade they made that involved their 2nd this year...
grabbing Wesley at last years deadline cost them their 04 2nd

speeds is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:20 AM
  #5
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The leetch deal involved their 2nd next year, and I don't know what other trade they made that involved their 2nd this year...
LOL, I can't think of a trade that moved that either. Maybe Nolan? I guess I just assumed. the Leafs NEVER use their picks

s7ark is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:47 AM
  #6
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
grabbing Wesley at last years deadline cost them their 04 2nd
good call...

but what was their compensation for losing him as a UFA?

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 11:53 AM
  #7
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
good call...

but what was their compensation for losing him as a UFA?
I don't think it's been established yet, and TOR probably wouldn't get one since they signed Klee as a replacement anyways (though Klee only costs 1.5 mil while Wesley cost CAR 2.75, so maybe the leafs will still get a pick - depends on other UFA signings)

or at least, the info isn't public knowledge, not sure how it works exactly. in the Oilers e-mail announcing the trade they said the pick moving to NYR was a "previously acquired" second rounder, which would be a weird way of wording it if it's EDM's own pick. They don't have any other 2nd, though that is where the Leetch compensation pick is expected to go.

but I'm not sure you can trade that pick yet, but you must be able to if they did

speeds is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 04:52 PM
  #8
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I don't think it's been established yet, and TOR probably wouldn't get one since they signed Klee as a replacement anyways (though Klee only costs 1.5 mil while Wesley cost CAR 2.75, so maybe the leafs will still get a pick - depends on other UFA signings)

or at least, the info isn't public knowledge, not sure how it works exactly. in the Oilers e-mail announcing the trade they said the pick moving to NYR was a "previously acquired" second rounder, which would be a weird way of wording it if it's EDM's own pick. They don't have any other 2nd, though that is where the Leetch compensation pick is expected to go.

but I'm not sure you can trade that pick yet, but you must be able to if they did
Heh. Yeah, that IS strange. Either it would be "future considerations", or a "conditional draft pick", or else you'd think they'd have to trade *their own* (Oilers') 2nd-round pick... Unless someone's already confirmed that they'll get a 2nd-rounder for the Leetch deal. Hmmm....interesting!

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:56 AM
  #9
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,794
vCash: 500
i could very well be wrong on this point, but i thought that it *was* decided that the oilers got a 2nd rounder for the leech fiasco..... please correct me if im wrong, but this is what i thought

jadeddog is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 10:52 AM
  #10
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i could very well be wrong on this point, but i thought that it *was* decided that the oilers got a 2nd rounder for the leech fiasco..... please correct me if im wrong, but this is what i thought
For Brian Leetch? Nope, I don't believe so. That's just what speculation brought us on the boards. The NHL doesn't really release compensation awards at the time of those trades.

For a 6 million dollar contract, though. It can be surmised that the compensation pick will indeed be in the 2nd round.

momentai is offline  
Old
03-06-2004, 12:23 PM
  #11
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Lowe said that the pick in the trade "may" be the one for Leetch. I think it's conditional on whether that pick or the Oilers' second round pick is higher.

Allan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.