HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Vets

Old
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
AHL Vets

Since the Wolfpack lost players like Weller, Purinton and Lampman, The Wolfpack can use a AHL vet or 2. I doubt the Rangers are gonna have a full team of kids playing for the Wolfpack. I know its not a big deal but the Pack can use some leadership on the ice. Anyone have info if the Rangers are talking to any AHL vets hopefully between the ages of 24-27.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
danroy33

Interesting thoughts. Didn't realize Purinton's contract is up. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaspar spent the year down there given our salary cap issues. However, with the likes of Bourret, Dawes, and Greg Moore down there to lead the way, I wouldn't be too concerned about bringing in a leader. Let the young guns play and get some chemistry.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
ArtieAnisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by danroy33 View Post
Interesting thoughts. Didn't realize Purinton's contract is up. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaspar spent the year down there given our salary cap issues. However, with the likes of Bourret, Dawes, and Greg Moore down there to lead the way, I wouldn't be too concerned about bringing in a leader. Let the young guns play and get some chemistry.
Kaspar definitely will be sent down

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Here's another thought....losing Purinton improves the Pack!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Here's another thought....losing Purinton improves the Pack!
No it doesn't... Purinton was one of the better defensemen down the stretch on the Wolf Pack last year, as scary as that sounds. With Baranka injured and Girardi up with the Rangers, Purinton played a key role on the Pack. Case in point, the two games he didn't play in during the playoffs, Hartford lost.

Now as far as the AHL Vets go, Hartford has Francis Lessard under contract for next season. Though he might not rack up the points, he does stick up for his teammates. With Lessard (and hopefully NOT Fritz, because he can't even fight) back, the team could use a player like Alex Giroux or Martin Sonnenberg. Giroux I doubt will want to sign an AHL deal, and Sonnenberg I don't know his contract status, but they were both excellent in their time with the Pack in 05-06.

Dawes and Callahan won't be back, and Byers won't be as effective unless he has people to shoot the puck so he can bat in the rebounds. Bourret might make the Rangers out of camp even though he could probably use an extra season in the minors. A guy like Dwight Helminen, who went out and played his game every night, is another blow to a team that could have used his experience.

Mark Hartigan would be a good choice, but he'll probably wind up in the NHL somewhere.

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercup0 View Post
No it doesn't... Purinton was one of the better defensemen down the stretch on the Wolf Pack last year, as scary as that sounds. With Baranka injured and Girardi up with the Rangers, Purinton played a key role on the Pack. Case in point, the two games he didn't play in during the playoffs, Hartford lost.

Now as far as the AHL Vets go, Hartford has Francis Lessard under contract for next season. Though he might not rack up the points, he does stick up for his teammates. With Lessard (and hopefully NOT Fritz, because he can't even fight) back, the team could use a player like Alex Giroux or Martin Sonnenberg. Giroux I doubt will want to sign an AHL deal, and Sonnenberg I don't know his contract status, but they were both excellent in their time with the Pack in 05-06.

Dawes and Callahan won't be back, and Byers won't be as effective unless he has people to shoot the puck so he can bat in the rebounds. Bourret might make the Rangers out of camp even though he could probably use an extra season in the minors. A guy like Dwight Helminen, who went out and played his game every night, is another blow to a team that could have used his experience.

Mark Hartigan would be a good choice, but he'll probably wind up in the NHL somewhere.
Chalk that up to coincidence! Purinton is slow...and stupid with the puck, as well as a huge liability to take a stupid penalty. You can't turn crap into a steak....Schoenfeld has obviously gotten his attention...but he is in NO way...better than all those kids....none of em!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Chalk that up to coincidence! Purinton is slow...and stupid with the puck, as well as a huge liability to take a stupid penalty. You can't turn crap into a steak....Schoenfeld has obviously gotten his attention...but he is in NO way...better than all those kids....none of em!
I wouldn't get too giddy about losing Purinton just yet. According to several articles in the Hartford Courant, there's a very good chance Purinton will be back and named captain. There's more to playing in the AHL when you're a veteran player than what happens on the ice (although Purinton is also around to make sure a rookie prospect with skill is protected from some of the stupidity that takes place in the AHL).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Those players may lead on the ice, but the organization will still bring an older veteran--who's chances of making the NHL are rather small--to be teach the younger players how to handle the role of professional hockey player. Older veterans also provide continuity and probably younger prospects find it easier to talk about various issues to them, rather than someone who is only a year or two older and whom they are in direct competition with in the organization for their professional careers.

It's too early to figure out who will be brought in--the organization will wait and see who's available later in the summer.

Old
07-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercup0 View Post
No it doesn't... Purinton was one of the better defensemen down the stretch on the Wolf Pack last year
No.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:58 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Those players may lead on the ice, but the organization will still bring an older veteran--who's chances of making the NHL are rather small--to be teach the younger players how to handle the role of professional hockey player. Older veterans also provide continuity and probably younger prospects find it easier to talk about various issues to them, rather than someone who is only a year or two older and whom they are in direct competition with in the organization for their professional careers.

It's too early to figure out who will be brought in--the organization will wait and see who's available later in the summer.
AHL vets: Matt Murley, Greg Jacina only 25, Shay Stephenson only 23, good AHL guys to have for leadership. Not too old and been in the AHL for a bit. Come on Sather sign one of these guys to help our future.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
AHL vets: Matt Murley, Greg Jacina only 25, Shay Stephenson only 23, good AHL guys to have for leadership. Not too old and been in the AHL for a bit. Come on Sather sign one of these guys to help our future.
It's too early--better to wait and see what areas are weakest, rather than signing players indiscriminately.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 07-12-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old
07-12-2007, 01:22 AM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Bad memories with Matt Murley, he scored the overtime goal that knocked the Wolf Pack out of the 2004 playoffs when they were a goal away from the Calder Cup finals...

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:27 AM
HenrikO'doyle

I hope we dont lose Purinton. I know hes bad but with all the top prospects in Hartford we have I wouldnt mind him, Lessard and Fritz being around. Lessard and Fritz stick up for teammates, with Purinton around other teams know we have a nutjob on the team who is capable of doing anything, and that alone might quiet them.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote