HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved and the future?

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 08:20 PM
radiohouse

vCash: 500
Nedved and the future?

I'm sure this has already been talked about in great detail, so forgive the newbie for firing this post up, but...

Whats the deal with everyone in the media saying that Nedved is a sure-fire rental? Granted I thought this too when the deal went down, but why couldn't be an Oiler next year? I think everyone knows that Salo and Oates are good bets not to be Oilers next year and thats $5 million in salary right there. If any more deals go down at the deadline, there could be more money saved for him as well. Laraque makes close to $2 million, Isbister is in the same boat and I personally think we could do with out one or the other.

Two possible stumbling blocks I suppose could be: 1) Nedved doesn't wanna sign here. 2)Gator is UFA and due to make more money than Staios.

I think the Oil should definetly try and keep Nedved around for at least a year if they can. Sure it's $5 million in one guy, but he's one guy who's a 6'3 200lbs productive center that they so sorely lack.

Hell Calgary has $7 million tied up in Iggy and $5 million in Turek per season and they have a smaller season ticket base than us.

Am I crazy to think that the Oil should and can possibly keep him?

Old
03-05-2004, 09:24 PM
momentai

The Oilers cannot afford to give Nedved 5 million in terms of exercising his option. He hasn't been worth it this year and he likely won't be worth it next year. Even with the savings acquried from Salo and Oates (and possibly Smith as well) that doesn't mean that the Oilers can still spend frivolously.

So that means the option does not get exercised and Nedved remains a free agent. I think when you look at the number of times a player left as an UFA from the Oil and the amount of times he came back at a reduced price... you're looking at massively small number.

That means Nedved goes into the open market. Now while the Oilers do have a chance at signing him, we will basically have to outbid another team in the process - something that hasn't happened in a while. Besides, I don't think the Oil can conceivably offer more than 3 million dollar to Nedved during UFA. IE/ No one gets paid more than Ryan Smyth.

Don't worry about the "newbie" stuff. Everyone was there at some point. Welcome aboard.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:26 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohouse
I'm sure this has already been talked about in great detail, so forgive the newbie for firing this post up, but...

Whats the deal with everyone in the media saying that Nedved is a sure-fire rental? Granted I thought this too when the deal went down, but why couldn't be an Oiler next year? I think everyone knows that Salo and Oates are good bets not to be Oilers next year and thats $5 million in salary right there. If any more deals go down at the deadline, there could be more money saved for him as well. Laraque makes close to $2 million, Isbister is in the same boat and I personally think we could do with out one or the other.

Two possible stumbling blocks I suppose could be: 1) Nedved doesn't wanna sign here. 2)Gator is UFA and due to make more money than Staios.

I think the Oil should definetly try and keep Nedved around for at least a year if they can. Sure it's $5 million in one guy, but he's one guy who's a 6'3 200lbs productive center that they so sorely lack.

Hell Calgary has $7 million tied up in Iggy and $5 million in Turek per season and they have a smaller season ticket base than us.

Am I crazy to think that the Oil should and can possibly keep him?

Welcome to the board! I don't think it is crazy at all. I think that anybody who thinks they know what will happen next year is crazy. It's all uncharted territory. And as boring as currency exchange rates may be next to hockey strategy they are the biggest reason Canadian teams have been in trouble and the biggest positive in the fortune of teams this year on this side of the border. Who knows what an 80 cent dollar might bring.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:27 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohouse
haha, as an Oiler fan you're going to have learn this real quick around here. Gator is restricted at the end of the season. You have no idea how many times that mistake has been made on these boards by other posters trying to devalue him. :p

Old
03-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Lowetide

Welcome radiohouse. Not much to add, except that a bunch of us are hoping that the Oilers can sign a solid ufa for 3 million or so in the post CBA world.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Rooks Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
haha, as an Oiler fan you're going to have learn this real quick around here. Gator is restricted at the end of the season. You have no idea how many times that mistake has been made on these boards by other posters trying to devalue him. :p
And they still make this mistake in the MEDIA as well!

Old
03-06-2004, 05:04 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
well i think that the biggest influencing factors for Petr Nedved to resign are that if he enjoys the style edmonton play, enjoys the other team members, enjoys the city and enjoys being relined with Dvorak ( see where I'm going with this? E-Towners you need to throw on a party to keep this guy )

in any case who knows if Nedved and Lowe come to a deal where we have to pay Nedved $5m for next year but then the 2/3 years after that it would be $3m or even $2.5m per year?

I mean I'm prettys sure that Kevin Lowe dealt him in with the intention of getting him resigned, lets just hope his agent is not Rich Winter

Old
03-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
I mean I'm prettys sure that Kevin Lowe dealt him in with the intention of getting him resigned, lets just hope his agent is not Rich Winter
Well, I think if Winter is Nedved's agent, he would have already told him about communist Edmonton, so I don't think he'd want to stay here too long.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:54 AM
Seachd

Does anyone know if the Oilers would get compensation for Nedved if they lose him to free agency after not picking up his option? I thought I heard somewhere that they can't.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Does anyone know if the Oilers would get compensation for Nedved if they lose him to free agency after not picking up his option? I thought I heard somewhere that they can't.
They would bet nothing if they don't offer him the option. One thing to consider...istead of paying Nedved 5 Mill which he isn't worth, start looking at all the UFA's that will be available under a new system. Also, Smith will be as good as a UFA because I'm positive that a new agreement will lower the UFA age to at least 29. More players avaialble on the market is actually better for the GM's...this would be a wise move to make it 28 like it used to be.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Well, I think if Winter is Nedved's agent, he would have already told him about communist Edmonton, so I don't think he'd want to stay here too long.
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't Rich Winter live in Edmonton?

Old
03-06-2004, 10:26 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Yes he does.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Oi'll say!

I don't know if it's just because of one stupid blocked shot, but I'm warming up to the idea of him staying past this season, and thinking that Nedved might want to spend another season here as well. The main things in our favour from Petr's pov are:

1) The head coach here just LOVES the guy, we all know Petr's had his share of coaches who were less enamoured with him
2) The Oil have boatloads of skilled wingers and are wafer thin at center so there's no chance of him being bumped down in the rotation here, and even if he was he'd still be working with good offensive players
3) His buddy Dvo is here
4) This is the province where he originally defected from Czechoslovakia and he's a Canadian, he still wears #93 which is the year he became a citizen here, was it not?
5) If he ever wants to play at the Olympics again he has a better chance of making the team if he's playing in a Canadian city. We all know that shouldn't necessarily be the case, but it sure seems that way

Why the Oil want to keep him, and why they stand a chance:

1) We have noone else who's even remotely close to being a bonafide #1 center next season
2) When you look at the list of teams who would usually buy a #1 center type they already have one or two except maybe Van, and they're already paying lots of money for Bert, Ohlund, Nazzy, and Jovo. They probably can't outbid us on this one.

Would the Oil pay $5M for him? Will he take a small paycut? I think something can be worked out, there are a lot of reasons why this is a good fit for both parties. If one of the big market teams suddenly comes up short at center though it's $5M or bye-bye. We definitely have a chance, but if next season is a lockout we are probably not going to need him quite so badly for 2005/'06 (Pouliot, Niinimaki, or KBro may be ready, or maybe we'll have Ovechkin ), he'll be a ufa, and some teams like Col and Dal may be looking by then.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Loweball

I think there are better players for $5 million out there, and a lot younger. Dougie would come back for that kind of money I bet after his disappointing time im St. Louis. If Nedved signed for half that I would consider it. That said, it could be a great place for Nedved to play and rejuvinate his career. The poster here listed many quality reasons for him to resign here.

Old
03-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
It was Comrie who made that comment, not Winter. Winter tried to backtrack and cover that one as best he could after Comrie said it, trying to make it sound reasonable.

Closed Thread