HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official: Lundqvist agrees to 1 year deal-$4.25 million

Old
07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
TexMurphy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever View Post
2,5-3 million would have been a good deal, considering what the likes of Ryan Miller makes.

4-4,5 is not a good deal and Lundqvist does not deserve that much yet.

If he gets 4,5 then he is getting paid twice as much as Miller and he is NOT twice as good.
Since when do sports salaryes acutally measure how good you are as a player??

Salary == Value to the employing organization.

Tex

TexMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Balej20*

He's making more than he should for a one year deal BUT we shouldn't look at this as a one year deal. We should look at it as the first year of a long term deal, in which case, he probably came at a bargain price. If he would have gotten a long term deal he probably would be making around 5-5.5 mill a year.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:15 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

awesome news....now its avery time

welcome back king

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:15 PM
TexMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
He's making more than he should for a one year deal BUT we shouldn't look at this as a one year deal. We should look at it as the first year of a long term deal, in which case, he probably came at a bargain price. If he would have gotten a long term deal he probably would be making around 5-5.5 mill a year.
Makes me wonder... can a contract be written like this "You get 1 year 4 mil and if you dont get a long term contract after that then you get 10 mil"....

That would be a loop hole way of signing a 10 mil multi year contract.

Tex

TexMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I don't like that this is only one year. For over 4 mill it would have been nice to at least get two years.
But, as has been stated several times and from several sources, this contract is intented as a breather. They're already set to announce an extension in January.

It's even possible that the extension is already done and negotiated, it's just that it can't be signed until next year.

Given that the short contract was a good deal higher than expected one could guess that the long one won't be that much higher. Just a bit higher and longer.

I'd guess that Sather said something like "sign a lowball contract now and I'll promise you a long contract with the sun and the moon in salary come january". And Lundqvist/Meehan responded "show us a better deal up front and we'll agree to a decent deal come january".

So I predict a 5.5-6.5 ish, 3-4 year deal in january.

Lundqvist/Meehan traded a bit of long term promise of heaven for some solid cash and a medium term promise of heaven on earth, most likely located at Manhattan.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy View Post
Makes me wonder... can a contract be written like this "You get 1 year 4 mil and if you dont get a long term contract after that then you get 10 mil"....

That would be a loop hole way of signing a 10 mil multi year contract.

Tex
Well yes and no.

Yes, such a contract can be written.
But no, such a contract would be rejected by NHL and NHLPA.

They can of course sign such a contract right now, but they can't send it in for review until January the year that the current contract expires.
And either part could rip that contract before it's sent in.

And the CBA is very clear, no contract is valid until the gnomes have read it, filed it and stamped their approval.

So any such contract would have to be some form of "gentlemens agreement", which of course could be torn up be a myriad of things before January.

Old
07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Tumsh

Yeah, sounds like this is sort of the "first year" of a backloaded contract, except the cap his doesn't get averaged out this year...

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
Yeah, sounds like this is sort of the "first year" of a backloaded contract, except the cap his doesn't get averaged out this year...
And it's based on promises, from both sides.

Old
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

One step closer to the goblet of stanley my friends.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
gaglinefan

Signing Henke

Great news, he is a Championship caliber goaltender. Did anyone see the exhibition games vs the Bruins he started in 05? It was clear from day one this guy loved NY, loved the situation and gained confidence by his stellar play. Thanks God we have him.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 06:36 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

horay! The Kings back!

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:21 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I like the move just because we avoid the arbitration hearing. Lets get him re-upped during the season, but things are falling into place.

Avery next.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:51 PM
philbo

Great news, great work by Glen and staff these past few weeks. I can't remember a time when I could feel so genuinely optimistic about the orginization both current and it's future. It wasn't too long ago when alot of people were screaming the sky is falling cause donnie went west. i wonder if donnie was still here would all of these changes happened.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 08:28 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
"I got my eyes on you!!"
JESUS CHRIST JESUS CHRIST JESUS CHRIST!!!

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Hey LeftCoast,

That's awesome to have a Ranger Fan in OZ. I've been there, wonderful country. Just wondering how you started following hockey? Also do you get to watch any games?

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Peter The Great

Good signing. Something around $2 million would almost have been disrespectful.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 04:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"It feels great," Lundqvist - who made $817,000 last season - said from Sweden yesterday afternoon, fresh off the ice but raring to get back on. "Usually, at this time of year, you just want to relax and enjoy the summer. But definitely, with the signings we've had, I can't wait to get back to New York and get going again."
Quote:
"They were honest with me," Lundqvist said. "If we were going to be able to sign the players we wanted to be a great team, the one-year deal for me is the best solution now. So I didn't have to think about it that long.

"And we also talked about negotiating a long-term deal in January."

After Jan. 1, any contract extension won't affect this year's payroll. So expect an announcement on a whopping contract for Lundqvist some time during the Rangers' trip though Western Canada Jan. 2-5
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...hort_term.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 04:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"Why was the figure so high? "Good lawyer," Meehan said, with a laugh. He did add, "He is a very substantial part of the team".
Quote:
"He's very pleased to be in New York," Meehan said.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Old
07-12-2007, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The GM may have been willing to go well beyond the likely arbitration award of $2.3-$2.7 million as part of an unspoken agreement with Lundqvist on a future long-term contract to be negotiated in January that would go into effect in 2008-09. But the Rangers' 2007-08 cap situation would have been far better served by the franchise goaltender taking less this year and more the following five seasons
Quote:
The Blueshirts have just enough under their season allowance to accommodate the signings of Sean Avery and Marcel Hossa, whose arbitration hearings are scheduled for July 30 and Aug. 2, respectively. They have an additional buffer zone through the expanded summer cap-but it's not much of one.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122007...rry_brooks.htm

Old
07-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Chimp

Sports is alot about psychology. When you hear so many players on this team say "I can't wait until we start the new season!" and "can't the vacation be over soon?", you know you have something good going. This can go very far.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 07:11 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Huh? Marty had a career high in wins with 48 and his best save percentage (.922) in 10 years.

Quote from you:

So Luongo and his 5 career playoff wins deserved the Vezina, but Henrik shouldn't be considered one of the top goalies because he's only won 7 playoff games?
Common, dont throw that save percentage stuff out. I have seen many Devils games , I have friend that are big Devils fans (maybe I should get some new friends) that have said Marty had a bad year, giving up bad goals much more this past year then prior years. Just because the Devils now give up 30 shots (not high quality) instead of 20 shots a game in the new NHL, his save % is going to go up. and besides Luongo and Marty both played 4-5 years in the non cap nhl BEFORE THEY MADE THIS MUCH MONEY. I know Henke needs the cash for all the women that hang around him all the time, but give us 3 good seasons before we give you the really big payday.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Why the hate from Brooks? I read him because ge's often the only guy writing about pucks, but it's articles like these that make me shake my head. Uncle Larry needs to lay off the hootch until after his articles go to print.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 07:25 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Why the hate from Brooks? I read him because ge's often the only guy writing about pucks, but it's articles like these that make me shake my head. Uncle Larry needs to lay off the hootch until after his articles go to print.
I wouldn't call it hate, more 'disgruntled'.

And to be fair, the 'short' contract was a good bit higher than expected, even for a one-eyed henke fanboy like me.

Is he worth it? Sure he is.
Will he get more before the end of the season? Sure he will.
Could he have taken less now to further help the team? Sure he could.

But I wouldn't call worried disgruntled noises from people with one eye on the cap and the other on the market for 'hate'.

Let's hope that Sather knows what he's doing and that his plan is still intact.

Old
07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Uncle Larry is right here.$4.25 million is an overpayment.Since it's not a long term deal,then it's too much for a 1 year contract.It's a down payment for the next contract in 5-6 months

Old
07-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Tumsh

It is a slight overpayment, yes. The thing is, it's less than you would pay him in a long term deal. Henke did show goodwill by agreeing to a one term deal for less money than he would have gotten had he signed a long term deal. Now the Rangers show some goodwill back by paying him a bit more than he might be worth for a 1 year deal.
The result?
Henke feels confident that the team trusts him and wants him. That will allow him to focus on hockey and it may well make him better than he would be had he signed a 2.5 mil deal. Now he feels like he will have to live up to his contract, and I think he will.

He was quoted earlier saying something like: "Sure, I would love a long term deal so that I know that the club has trust in me.".
Well, a long term deal couldn't happen, but the club still managed to show trust... kudos to Sather!

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote