HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Jewelry while you play?

Old
07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
lotus

vCash: 500
Jewelry while you play?

I thought this might be an interesting topic, especially for however many female players we have on this board.

I was wondering how many of you wear a chain, bracelet, earrings or whatever while you play. Most leagues will strongly recommend if not demand you take any and all jewelry off. I normally wear a thin gold chain at all times, and for about 4 years of wearing it while i play hockey I never had a problem. A few games ago i collided with someone, and about 30 seconds later realized the chain snapped and fell to the ground.

What's everyones opinion on this and do you do anything to protect your jewelry while you play if you keep it on? Or do you just take it off? I just got my chain fixed and sure as hell don't want to have to pay for it again, but I am still deciding whether or not I will continue to wear it during games.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I wear a watch and a wedding ring on a day to day basis but I have to take them off when I play....I just can't play with stuff like that on.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:50 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I wear a wedding ring most of the time. I'm not married, I just like to flash it to random women that make small talk with me. *shrug*, I do some goofy **** to amuse myself.

Uhm, that doesn't answer your question. I couldn't play with more than a ring on, anything else would just feel weird.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
octopi

I always played with glasses on, altho they didn't count as jewelry.

I used to have 6 or 7 ear piercings with tiny stud or tiny(think fingernail sized) hoop earrings, but they occasionally snagged on the ear loops of the helmet

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
I dont wear much jewelry so it's not a problem. I've seen teammates forget to take their watches off and proceed to go out there and play, no problem. But I've also heard ppl getting their ring smash while it's on their finger too....so not a good thing.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Tyisa

I wear a string necklace and have recently started wearing a chain and pendant when I play...and haven't had a problem so far...The (ball hockey) league I usually play in didn't have a problem with the string necklace (although you really couldn't see it underneath that enormous jersey I got stuck with). In ice, the neck guard probably helps to hold the necklace down pretty well I think.

Tyisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Happy Pony

Price albert

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
I wear a gold necklace when i play, it doesn't get in my way at all, i say keep wearing it.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I wear a gold necklace when i play, it doesn't get in my way at all, i say keep wearing it.
I'm thinking it must have been already snagged on my jersey to snap on a collision, I would remember if his head hit near my collarbone haha. So I guess it may have been badluck. Though it was pretty high speed, I was really dazed and upon thinking about it, I definitely heard it hit the ground. It just didn't register until i finished my shift and got on the bench. Would be weird if that happened in the NHL =P

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
hockeystud938

i wear a hemp necklace and a piece of a hockey lace tied around my wrist as a bracelet hahaha idk why... but yea i don't even notice either of them i have no problem playing with them on

hockeystud938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:27 AM
frito

I wear my wedding band and a chain with a cross. Never had an issue.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
deadinmi

Send a message via AIM to deadinmi
I wear a cloth bracelet and a little chain with a pendant... I used to wear a ring, butit started to get flat on the bottom, I assume from everyday use combined with holding my stick, so I don't wear it anymore. I played roller in college and had 2 small hoops on each ear with no problems.

deadinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I wear a watch and a wedding ring on a day to day basis but I have to take them off when I play....I just can't play with stuff like that on.
Same here, I take it off when I get dressed.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:44 PM
vexXed

Just a gold chain with a chinese coin shaped charm, never had any probs as my under armour keeps it down all the time. There was my mate back in Scotland who played goalie - wore earrings, bars and a bottom lip spike during games but he actually didn't have any probs either. Only prob one time was that he nearly ripped the top half of his ear off while playing football and the bar got caught in the net

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Wear my gold chain with cross and my watch and never have a problem. I feel weird if I dont' wear em. Watch is protected by my glove and my chain is under a jersey, a shirt, and shoulder pads, so it's fine IMO.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I'm thinking it must have been already snagged on my jersey to snap on a collision, I would remember if his head hit near my collarbone haha. So I guess it may have been badluck. Though it was pretty high speed, I was really dazed and upon thinking about it, I definitely heard it hit the ground. It just didn't register until i finished my shift and got on the bench. Would be weird if that happened in the NHL =P

It would be wierd, i know Ovechkin wears a necklace when he plays, it would be wierd if it fell off in and NHL game.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
It would be wierd, i know Ovechkin wears a necklace when he plays, it would be wierd if it fell off in and NHL game.
Look closely, most guys are wearing some sort of necklace. The one Travis Green wears is pretty kick ***. I remember seeing a ref stake over to the bench and hand the trainer something that looked like a necklace.

Anyway, I always wore a beaded necklace I bought on my honeymoon, but always took my wedding ring off....don't want it ripping the palms of my gloves. The necklace was never a problem.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

I never think it is a good idea to wear jewelry it either gets wrecked or you get hurt. I always take me watch and ring off before I do any physical activity

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 06:59 PM
MikeD

I wear a rope gold chain thats pretty havy and a small dime sized gold "Jason" goalie mask. My avatar is a pic of the goalie mask "charm". Sometimes I also add another charm thats one of those huge head huge eyed aliens. Being a goalie its pretty buried in the gear. The travel Youth leagues here require any jewelry to be inside the jersey. Might be a USA hockey thing? not sure....

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Look closely, most guys are wearing some sort of necklace. The one Travis Green wears is pretty kick ***. I remember seeing a ref stake over to the bench and hand the trainer something that looked like a necklace.

Anyway, I always wore a beaded necklace I bought on my honeymoon, but always took my wedding ring off....don't want it ripping the palms of my gloves. The necklace was never a problem.
Heard lotta players wear these..so is his kinda like this?: http://www.eigusa.com/picture/phneckb.jpg

Phiten titanium necklace...idk what they do or if they work. Guess it was sorta like them magnetic bracelets.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 08:06 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Heard lotta players wear these..so is his kinda like this?: http://www.eigusa.com/picture/phneckb.jpg

Phiten titanium necklace...idk what they do or if they work. Guess it was sorta like them magnetic bracelets.
It was similar to this.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 09:27 AM
It Kills Me

Aki Berg does.

I used to a chain all the time except for showers, then it got robbed.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 04:17 PM
puck_08

The league I used to play in wouldn't allow any jewlery (if they knew about it/could see it). I have heard stories before about people getting injuries from wearing earrings (i.e. they get stuck in the jersey and ripped out).
However I personally have no problem wearing jewlery playing, and if it is covered by equipment I just leave it on, or in other leagues I don't bother to take it off. I noticed in Women's hockey at the National level, most players are wearing jewlery.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
technophile

Send a message via MSN to technophile
Outside of hockey I wear an engagement ring, a wedding band, a watch, and eyeglasses.

I take all of them off to play hockey (the glasses are pretty much for close-up/detail work, I'm farsighted but nowhere near badly enough that I need glasses for hockey). The watch was a wedding present from my wife and I don't want it broken; the rings I don't want banged up or crushed or anything.

technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Titan124

A little fun fact (if you can call it that): I'm pretty sure Jason Blake always has a gold string type thing when he plays. When they do the close up replays you can see it fairly easily.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote