HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade deadline poll: Star or Depth?

View Poll Results: Trade deadline poll: Quality or Quantity?
I'd like to aquire a Star player above a mere depth aquisition, knowing it would cost more. 10 55.56%
I'd like to aquire a Depth player above a Star aquisition, as it would cost less. 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Trade deadline poll: Star or Depth?

Approaching the trade deadline, what kind of aquisition would you prefer?

The depth guys like Hill, Bombardir or a Sanderson at best or the Satan's, Kovalev's, Leetch's and Witt's? Ofcourse will the former group be a lot cheaper to aquire than the latter so please take that strongly in consideration when voting and/or replying..

Personally, I think the Stars lack more scoring than they will admit (Hell, the Hawks or even the defensive minded Devils have more goals than us) but they will likely use the "what have you done for me lately" excuse, that has the Stars scoring goals at a 2.5/3 per game clip.. Untouching the MAG line, I think Modano or Turgeon could really use a top flight left winger or even a right winger considering Lehtinen can play left as well as right. Also, aquiring that top flight winger (or defenseman) would even be a better form of aquiring depth as it would bump a talented player a line or 2 lower. Ofcourse does this mean we have to give up some valueble pieces (high picks, prospects) but I think that the Stars have put together a very nice collection of prospects to make some expandable. Also, knowing that there might not even be a season next year, it would have the Stars as a quite old team that could very wel be without a Mike Modano by the time hockey resumes. I think the Stars should concentrate on this season a lot more than on the future, especially since we are in better prospect shape than other contenders and can afford to deal some..

Getting a Satan or a Kovalev would add a whole new line to the Stars. They would be able to roll 3 real good scoring lines and one sound checking unit with the likes of Kapanen, Barnes, DiMaio, Corson, Ott, Downey and such. That would resolve our forward depth as well..

So, I am for option 1.. How bout the rest of you guys?

Old
03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Starsdude

Depends on the deal but if Erskine Kapanen and a second can get you a younger star player (satan, O'Neill ) then I would do that deal

Old
03-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Dr GLU

The only players I'm remotely interested in seeing come to the Stars are Leetch and O'Neill (since the odds R. Smyth will be traded are slim), and I wouldn't pay too much to get either.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Dundalis

Why do people want old man Leetch over Gonchar? Gonchar can still be dominate for another half a decade or more, Leetch likely a season or two. I believe Gonchar has a cheaper contract too. As for forwards, O'Neill is easily the pick of the bunch imo. If I had to give up say Kaps and a first rounder for one of the defensemen, id pick Gonchar for the sole fact that he's younger. And i'm sorry if people would rather keep Kapanen, but remember he isn't all that young anymore, he's going on 26 this year and he's only four years younger than the All-Star Gonchar, best offensive D in the league. Kapanen will never be an All-Star. You trade prospects/unproven players or picks, for proven NHL stars any day of the week IMO, with the exception of a very high pick, or a potential superstar young talent. We may end up with a pretty late first rounder, the way we are playing, so i'm not too worried about that, as we have the Columbus and the Hatcher pick.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Dundalis

Oh and another thing, don't put Witts name in the star category, imo he sucks.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
Why do people want old man Leetch over Gonchar?
Some reasons I wanted Leetch over Gonchar were his familiarity with Zubov and his history of being a clutch performer. That and I thought his trade value would be a lot lower because of his age and contract.

As we see now, Gonchar would have cost Daley plus 1st and 2nd round picks from Dallas (about comparable with Morrisonn, 1st, 2nd).

If Leetch gets traded, we'll see if my theory is right.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
Some reasons I wanted Leetch over Gonchar were his familiarity with Zubov and his history of being a clutch performer. That and I thought his trade value would be a lot lower because of his age and contract.

As we see now, Gonchar would have cost Daley plus 1st and 2nd round picks from Dallas (about comparable with Morrisonn, 1st, 2nd).

If Leetch gets traded, we'll see if my theory is right.
Wasn't that much lower.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
Wasn't that much lower.
It was higher probably...maybe looking at Jokinen + Vagner + 1st + 2nd for Leetch...

Of course, I wonder how much of the high price was attributable to Toronto panicing after Gonchar went elsewhere, but that'd be all speculation.

Old
03-05-2004, 03:47 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
It was higher probably...maybe looking at Jokinen + Vagner + 1st + 2nd for Leetch...

Of course, I wonder how much of the high price was attributable to Toronto panicing after Gonchar went elsewhere, but that'd be all speculation.
I might almost do that trade if it were for Gonchar. Not a chance for Leetch though. Vagner likely won't be anything, and like I said before, I trade lower first/second round picks for proven superstars anyday. Jokinen I dont know. Some say he's a 30 goal scorer some say he won't make the transition... I think id still do it. It's all about being proven, and Gonchar can still dominate for a decade. Moot point of course.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:24 AM
lace-em'-up

now that leetch and everyone else that dallas was looking at, who would you want.

wingers:
sanderson
satan
o'neill
daze (if a winger worth a look, would come cheaper than others)
ruchinski

defense:
witt
de vrise
lachance
zhitnik
odaline

Old
03-06-2004, 04:19 AM
Dundalis

O'Neill, and Daze, first I heard about his availabilty, I wouldn't mind him either. None of the rest. I know some like Satan, but I would much rather they went hard at O'Neill if they are looking to be aggressive in trading for a scorer. He brings more to the table when you take scoring out of the equation.

Old
03-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Dr GLU

I wouldn't mind Zhitnik at the right price, actually.

It'd be like bringing in a player that's as similar to Sydor as you can get, IMO. Maybe Zhitnik is a little dirtier, but overall, they play pretty similar games.

Closed Thread