HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Funny Nylander quote

Old
07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Funny Nylander quote

Quote:
HE SAID IT
"I will be his big brother, okay. But he will have to baby sit my [six] children so I can go to dinner with my wife. That sounds really good." -- Capitals' Michael Nylander on mentoring rookie Nicklas Backstrom.
From an article on Backstrom in today's Washington Post.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
Why is this funny?

jk

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Pogo

Cue the Nylander vs. the 7 million dollar men argument in 3...2...

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Other than the fact theyre both Sweds, I think Backstrom would rather learn Russian and be taught by Oveckin

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
shoothepuck

The guys not a Ranger anymore. Lets see how far his spin-spin moves will get him in Washington

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
dkich96

I'm happy for Nylander, and I think he will be missed by the Rangers. I think Nylander's name is synonymous with the Rangers success over the past two seasons. I don't know why but the new guys don't feel like Rangers to me, just like I've never liked Holik nor just started liking Jagr last season.... I guess time will tell if the new guys can win us over...

Once again I'm happy Nylander got what he wanted even though it's not with us.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I was just talking about him to someone in my office.

Theres things you love and things you hate about the guy.

There were moments when he and Jagrs line thoroughly DOMINATED the opposition which I will truly miss. But I wont be upset about it until I see a total lack of chemstry with this new team after 30 games.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
From an article on Backstrom in today's Washington Post.
Very cute. I think Washington is going to be a fun team to watch.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
The guys not a Ranger anymore. Lets see how far his spin-spin moves will get him in Washington
hahahaha...

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:39 PM
NYROrtsFan

I liked Nylander and will miss him... Truly wish him the best outside of when he plays the Rangers.

Lets be honest... He probably wanted to come back to the Rangers as a player, but spent an awful lot of time at home with 6 children.

When you sit there and look at 6 children, numbers begin to add up and all of a sudden, money can really matter. He then made the decision to go for as much money as he could. I can respect that.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

The thing i will miss about Nylander the most is seeing him take the puck in the shootout.

He is a one of a kind player. The one person that kind of reminds me of him is Forsberg. Not surprising they are both Swedes.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I liked Nylander and will miss him... Truly wish him the best outside of when he plays the Rangers.

Lets be honest... He probably wanted to come back to the Rangers as a player, but spent an awful lot of time at home with 6 children.

When you sit there and look at 6 children, numbers begin to add up and all of a sudden, money can really matter. He then made the decision to go for as much money as he could. I can respect that.
Yeh, I don't blame him. If he had 1 child or maybe even none like most hockey players then you can say he got a little greedy. I seriously can't imagine taking care of two kids, much less six. That's also why I think his dedication to the game might slip a little next year.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yeh, I don't blame him. If he had 1 child or maybe even none like most hockey players then you can say he got a little greedy. I seriously can't imagine taking care of two kids, much less six. That's also why I think his dedication to the game might slip a little next year.

Are you guys serious??? Yeah I guess that extra 1 million a year will prevent him from going bankrupt!!

In the real world people take care of 6 kids with real world salaries. That extra million a year he's getting is the difference between him owning a 20 ft. schooner and a 40 ft. yacht.

$1 million alone will probably put all of his kids through 4 years of college and then some.

He's a greedy ******* just like the rest of 'em. Yet I will still miss him dearly.

Old
07-12-2007, 11:44 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
We're talking millions here: money didn't matter because it was necessary to feed his family...

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
jc25

Don't think for a minute you or I wouldn't do the same thing if we were in his position.

Aside from water and air, money is the most important thing in the world. Although I don't agree with it, it most certainly is a valid ideal that many share and should be considered when dealing with superstars and exorbitant salaries.

Anyways, it's a pretty funny quote and I think he should do fine over there. Maybe if Semin gets time next to him he'll bump up in goals.

jc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 02:27 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
I'm totally imagining him doing a spin spin and as he's getting ready to make his move he realizes AO actually already skated the puck in past three players and scored an amazing goal so all he can do is sheepishly skate over and congratulate the kid.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 05:25 AM
mikesect424

and what if the right faceoff dot isn't as bright in Washington? how will he know where to stop?

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Consigliere

His interview with Pierre Maguire was hilarious.

Consigliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 05:39 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Very cute. I think Washington is going to be a fun team to watch.
Indeed. Ovechkin & Nylander, Semin & Bäckström. Two very interesting Russian/Swedish duos. In fact, Washington will be the team I will keep an eye on, apart from the Rangers of course.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:05 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean000 View Post
Don't think for a minute you or I wouldn't do the same thing if we were in his position.
Aside from water and air, money is the most important thing in the world. Although I don't agree with it, it most certainly is a valid ideal that many share and should be considered when dealing with superstars and exorbitant salaries.

I wouldn't, call me sentimental, but I believe sports are about something larger than yourself. I find players leaving good teams, for a little more money pretty pathetic. The cup is worth more than that, just ask any player who's won it. I ask, would you miss an opportunity to bring the top prize to NYC, for money you really don't need? Maybe I'm just not money motivated, I don't know. I don't see the point. You need a few more millions? Put your name on a frickin indoor grill when you retire. For now, have some respect for the fact that your in a position a million other guy's in leagues outside the NHL would kill for; for any salary. Not to mention some respect for the poor sap who just paid another 14% this year to go see you play. How could you pass up potential greatness for money? Achieve that, and you won't ever have to worry about money again. I just don't get it. You think Graves, thinks to himself, yeah I won the cup and made NY go insane in 94, but too bad I didn't get that extra mill. ...ehh it makes me sick. A jersey is not a ******* buisness suit.

aahhhh therepy session has ended, lol.

A bit OT, but the same goes for politics too.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMessier11 View Post
Are you guys serious??? Yeah I guess that extra 1 million a year will prevent him from going bankrupt!!

In the real world people take care of 6 kids with real world salaries. That extra million a year he's getting is the difference between him owning a 20 ft. schooner and a 40 ft. yacht.

$1 million alone will probably put all of his kids through 4 years of college and then some.

He's a greedy ******* just like the rest of 'em. Yet I will still miss him dearly.
Did you feel the same way about Messier?

Just wondering....

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Did you feel the same way about Messier?

Just wondering....

You can't compare Messier and Nylander. I'm sure you know as well as I do the level of impact Messier had on the team compared to Nylander. Nylander had a shot to stay with the team for a potential serious Stanley Cup run, but decided not to. Messier left a proven winner for a team that hadn't won a cup in 50 yrs., and the rest is history.

Old
07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMessier11 View Post
You can't compare Messier and Nylander. I'm sure you know as well as I do the level of impact Messier had on the team compared to Nylander. Nylander had a shot to stay with the team for a potential serious Stanley Cup run, but decided not to. Messier left a proven winner for a team that hadn't won a cup in 50 yrs., and the rest is history.
I'm talking about when Messier left the Rangers for Vanvouver for a few more dollars.

As for the impact, I'm not disputing it Messier Won a cup here, but still left for Vancouver over a few dollars.

that's the comparisson and a valid one.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

You're right, his case was similar to Nylander's. He was greedy also in a way of getting as much money as he could late in his career. On the other hand though, the Rangers were on the downswing AFTER winning the cup when he left, in Nylander's case the Rangers are on the upswing and getting closer to winning the cup when he jumped ship.

Messier wins.

Old
07-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

I have no idea why anyone has a problem with Nylander going for the best contract, he could get.

It's his right do to so and you can't begrudge him (or anyone else regardless of how many kids they have), of trying to secure himself and his family, for the future.

I have no problem with Nylander.

One thing I do want to see, though. Is when the Rangers play the Capitals and Nylander is doing his now famous neverending spins; for someone like Liffiton....or Avery....or Hollweg ....or Girardi to come up on him and hammer his ass across the rink, just as he goes into yet another circle spin. I want to see gloves flying off his hands.....his helmit-strap riding up his nose and his stick fly though the air. Now that will be entertaining!

He's a Capital, now. Hammer his ass!

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote