HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How do Rangers fans feel?

Old
07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Alison

vCash: 500
How do Rangers fans feel?

I have never started a new thread on this board but here goes. I read this article
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....50/1106/SPORTS and it had me thinking. The Rangers are an original six they are as history rich in hockey as any other team. DO you feel that Canadians are hockey snobs? Or do you feel the same way we do in many aspects? Teams should be placed in markets where they know the team should be supported or should they be placed in non-traditional markets such as Nashville? Do you fans of an original six support the idea of more teams in Canada? Do you think Balsille is being screwed over to keep a team from moving North of the border?
Anyways I asked on this board because I feel that Rangers fans are very knowledgable and they are as big of hockey fans as any Canadians.
Discuss.

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Fletch

Would love to see...

a hockey franchise in Winnipeg, or Quebec, or wherever. Would be very sad if any of the Canadian cities currently hosting NHL teams would lose a team to any place. Am not a fan of hockey being in areas where it would not be supported if teams aren't doing very well. Canadians are not hockey snobs - they just love the sport as much as people in this forum - like Americans love football - nothing wrong with that.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Mrpuck

I can only speak for myself and my experiences with other Ranger fans that I know. But of thew people I know most of us feel NHL teams in Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. are just wrong and wouldn't be opposed to seeing these teams moved to more traditional markets.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:06 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I love and respect the Canadian heritage of our game. In the playoffs, I always root for the Canadian teams. I detest the fact that there are hockey teams in places like Carolina, Florida, Texas, etc... Hockey ought to have franchises in the north, and only the north. If that makes me a hockey snob, then so be it.

I'd also support the relocation of those craptastic franchises to Canadian cities, so long as it was shown to be economically viable.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:09 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
I have never started a new thread on this board but here goes. I read this article
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....50/1106/SPORTS and it had me thinking. The Rangers are an original six they are as history rich in hockey as any other team. DO you feel that Canadians are hockey snobs? Or do you feel the same way we do in many aspects? Teams should be placed in markets where they know the team should be supported or should they be placed in non-traditional markets such as Nashville? Do you fans of an original six support the idea of more teams in Canada? Do you think Balsille is being screwed over to keep a team from moving North of the border?
Anyways I asked on this board because I feel that Rangers fans are very knowledgable and they are as big of hockey fans as any Canadians.
Discuss.

I personally feel that Canada derseves more teams and more respect. It's gotten to the point where it is a shame that when Ottawa was in the finals it was actually big news that a Canadian team was in the finals.

I've got to think most hockey fans in the US look up to Canada because you guys know what a great sport it is and it is your "football' so to speak. I only wish Americans took to it like Candians do.

It will always be a niche sport here, which saddens me when someone like bettman tries to cram a team in every American market, not only diluting the talent pool but bykeeping Canadian cities out of the loop because of the stupid exchange rate.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:12 AM
WheresBarnaby

Hockey and pro sports in general, have become an amalgam of people from different places. Expanding teams to Florida, Carolina ect, is no different than bringing Russian, or Sweedish players to the NHL. You want tradition? Then you also have to go back to players being from the cities they play for, with no trading. It certainly would make the rivalries better.

So back to the topic, I say respect where the game's come from, but move foward. The idea that some people should get to enjoy something, and others shouldn't, sounds like much of the kind of thinking from that came from the last century. Personally I like the idea that some kid in Tennessee, want's to grow up and play for the Preds, and I hope his parents are from Ecuador, and Zimbabwe.

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 07-13-2007 at 10:20 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I personally feel that Canada derseves more teams and more respect. It's gotten to the point where it is a shame that when Ottawa was in the finals it was actually big news that a Canadian team was in the finals.

I've got to think most hockey fans in the US look up to Canada because you guys know what a great sport it is and it is your "football' so to speak. I only wish Americans took to it like Candians do.

It will always be a niche sport here, which saddens me when someone like bettman tries to cram a team in every American market, not only diluting the talent pool but bykeeping Canadian cities out of the loop because of the stupid exchange rate.
True about Americans looking up to Canadians, in terms of hockey appreciation at least. Most hockey fans I know are truly die hard fans; I don't really know any casual fans of the game. We all recognize how fantastic the game is and it kind of burns us that hockey is so under appreciated in the States, so in that respect I definitely admire the Canadians.

Who am I kidding? I'm a bleeding heart liberal, I love everything about the country. I'll be up there in two weeks for an ATU mediation hearing, and I can't wait- I love my brothers to the north .

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Tikkanese

I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters here. I always find myself rooting for the Canadian teams when they are playing US teams from crappy cities (yes, that's you Anaheim, Carolina and Tampa).

My buddy, with whom I split a full season of Rangers tickets, and I spend a lot of time talking about this, and have generally focused on the need to get rid of: Carolina, Florida, TB, Atlanta, Nashville and Phoenix. Move the Coyotes back to Winnipeg, Carolina back to Hartford (sorry Wolfpack), two of the others to become second teams in Toronto and Montreal, and contract the rest. If we can support 2.5 teams in New York (I give NYI and NJD 3/4 credit as teams), I'm sure the two largest cities in Canada can support 2 a piece. Heck, Los Angeles effectively has two teams right now.

Tikkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i like the way Canadians show their support for hockey- its unfortunate that there arent at least 2 more Canadian teams- i could only see 2 more teams in Canada without crowding the areas. I felt great when i went to Canada and was able to throw my hockey knowledge at a group of guys and they were very impressed- Canadians are the basis for hockey in general with American fans anchoring it here in the USA. i want more canadian teams cuz i want to see the old Battle of Quebec rivalry with the Nordiques and Canadiens- there are a couple of US cities that could use some teams too- but a town like PHX deserves a team because hockey has always been there in a minor league way and the people there are passionate about the team- the bunch that do support it. Some places need a chance to develop and catch on- but places that have been around and that just havent caught on at all which leads to whether these places are viable hockey markets. But yes- Canadian fans are gret people- there are snob fans in Canada but for the most part i have only met great fans who respect American fans as fans of the game and not just American fans- we are all hockey fans right?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
BwayBshirt

ppl who want the lightning out of tampa don't know *** they are talking about.

the fans have given nothing but great support to the team in its entire existence. why the hell would you want to move them?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:29 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post

the fans have given nothing but great support to the team in its entire existence. why the hell would you want to move them?
Carolina too

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post

I'm with you. The only problem I see with hockey in non-traditional markets is when the fan support just isn't there. Whats the problem with a team in Florida, California, or Texas if the fans support is there?

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
blue425

My first post in months and SPG beats me by a minute.

What he said^^^

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Top_Shelf_Shooter

If a team were to be moved I would like to see it go back to Canada, specifically one of the cities that lost their franchise like Winnipeg. I remember watching their last game ever in Canada & thought that the fan support was incredible.

I don't think that Canadians are hockey snobs, hell the sport is like 30% of their GNP so I can see how important it is to them not to have the franchises run out of Canada..... it's a matter of national pride as well.

One thing that I think is a bit snobbish are some of the Canadiens fans, but I guess if you are the most successful franchise in the history of the sport you have a right to be that way..... sorta like Yankees fans. I just think that some of them need to realise that they haven't won jack since St. Patrick was in net for them..... oh & that the French-Canadian talent isn't what it used to be anymore.

Top_Shelf_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
zacn

My personal feeling about what needs to happen in hockey is simple. The NHL needs to fold two teams in the smaller hockey’s markets. One team is enough in Florida and Columbus never should have had a team in the first place. If you want hockey in Ohio, they should have made it Cleveland. Nevertheless, saturate other teams' talent pools by taking away these teams and move at least one of the other non-traditional markets to a Canadian city.

This has less to do with tradition, even though I am proud of the Rangers being an original six team, and more to do with building hockey as a business. Forget the south. They like NASCAR and Football, two very different sports to hockey and frankly there aren't enough places to play ice hockey down there. People like sports that they can also play. Hockey is a tough enough sport to afford even where ponds do freeze over.

Build teams in markets where you know people already play. I saw a game in Nashville and was embarrassed as a hockey fan by the silly gimmicks they thought they had to use to get people into the building (the fans hold up "fang fingers" and at every penalty the announcer says "your Nashville predators are..." and the fans chime in "...ON THE POWERPLAY!" Move Nashville to Quebec and bring Phoenix back to Winnipeg. If they can't compete financially, fold them as well. Don't move them to a place where people care little for winter sports in general and just dilute the player talent pool on other teams.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:26 AM
RegalRangers

As much as I know that a new team in Canada would be greatly appreciated by whatever city it moves to, I don't think that's the right approach. Hockey will always be in the spotlight in Canada. The only way to grow the sport significantly is to grow it in America. And while Columbus is a weird choice for a hockey team, I have to believe that the blue jackets get a lot of attention being the only pro team in the city. If you put a hockey team in houston, are rockets fans going to pay attention as much as people in Austin if you put the team in Austin? If I have a new nhl team in my city and an established nba team in my city and ESPN only covers the nba team, am I going to pay much attention to the hockey team? No. I'm going to assume that there are hockey fans in my city somewhere and that this team is for them and not me. Put a team in a city like San Jose and I get the attention of everyone in that city. And San Jose has a loyal and loud fanbase now. The nhl needs to put a tremendous amount more effort into promoting the nhl at an individual franchise level. If the team isn't in a big city or Canada, they need to be more active in promoting that franchise to the city and inviting people into the sport of hockey. Sponsoring youth hockey leagues for kids and really emphasizing that anyone can get into hockey and making it as easy as possible for them to do so.

Football is an expensive sport to play too and a much more complicated one to learn. Look at how successful the NFL is. It's not the sport of hockey that's holding hockey back, it's the league and their awful public relations coupled with the fact that hockey is not on ESPN.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
ThisYearsModel

Every major city in Canada should have a team. Winnipeg, Regina or Saskatoon, Kitchener/Waterloo, Halifax, Hamilton, and so on. It is a joke that the home of hockey has only 6 clubs. I like the Canadian heritage.......I was captivated by Park, Tkaczuk, Ratelle, Gilbert.......all of these Canadians that were terrific on and off the ice. I would rather see teams in Canada than in Florida, Tennessee or Arizona.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

NHL Hockey has already failed in Winnipeg and Quebec.

Has anything up there changed?

Why would it work now?

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Levitate

I don't look up to Canadians because of hockey. I don't admire them because the game is popular in Canada.

I love hockey, not Canada and Canadians.

I think teams should go where they can be supported. If a city can support a team economically and make that franchise profitable, have it (except Vegas, I just hate Vegas).

I'm all for more Canadian teams, as long as they can support them.

Sure, having teams in cold climates seems the most reasonable, but Dallas seems to be doing just fine and they're in one of the more not hockey-like areas in the league.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:52 AM
The_Great_1

I don't think of Canadians as Hockey Snobs. I do however think that the analysts on TSN and CBC think they are elite because they are broadcasting for those networks in Canada. I also feel that they are severely biased in favor of the canadian teams. I think there are certain markets that should not have teams but they are select not all non traditional ones like Cali and Fla. I think Phoenix for one is a joke! they lose money but have a really nice arena but no fan support at all. It's all about the Suns out there. Nashville and Columbus were the other areas that I don't think should have the teams. I wouldn't mind seeing another team in Canada but what I would like more is to see the NHL do better in the states as a whole.

The_Great_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:02 PM
WanderingRanger

As a British NHL fan i too also feel it is a shame that there aren't more Canadian teams within the league. 6 teams out of 30 just does not quite seem representative enough, especially considering the history of Canadian hockey. I dont know too much about the population distribution in Canada but the fact that in the whole of two of the central/western provinces: Saskatchewan (*spelling?) and Manitoba the fact that neither has an NHL team seems unfair to me.

However, concerning the re-location of a number of teams back into more Canadian cities, i think it is unfair now to take teams from well supported US cities and move them to Canada just because of tradition, but if a few US teams were in need of a move i would always hope it would be to a Canadian market. Winnipeg and Quebec will probably be the two that most come to mind.

Basically, although one of the reasons i have followed the Rangers since i was 9 yrs old was because i found out what an Original Six team meant, and i was attracted by that history, support and tradition. But If teams from Carolina, Tampa etc have great support too i would be upset to see them move just because they are not traditional markets.

the concept of Franchise's in North American sports is also something i have had to learn to understand in comparison to british sports, where things do not operate in quite the same way.

Something that i have always admired about the NHL is its history, and traditions. I have even purchased a couple of books in order to better understand that side of the sport in the same way that i understand the history of British football (soccer), which is the only sport that i love more than hockey. (and i have played both).

WanderingRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
TomLaidlaw

I think we can all agree that there is no need to expand and add new teams to this league. The league is already too big which thins out the talent. There are guys playing now who wouldn't have played 15 years ago because of the volume of teams. Reminds me of the pitchign in MLB, too many teams, guys who shouldn't be pitching in the majors are.

So that leaves us with relocation. I never saw the need for the NHL to ram hockey down the throats of the people in the south. With that said, we can't go back and undo the past, what is done is done. I hate the idea of any fan losing their team. Ask Brooklyn Dodger fans what that feels like. The problem is that for every passionate fan here on HFboards who support one of the teams in the non traditional market, there are 999 people who don't care about Hockey at all in that market.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a room full of chimps in suits running this league because they make the most illogical decisions when it comes to relocation. How do you take a team out of Minnesota??? The Northeast and Minnesota are the hockey hotbeds in this country, always have been. Look how long it took them to bring a team back to Minnesota.

In summary, if a team doesn't come out and support their team, then give the team to a city that will. It is really that simple. Location doesn't really matter to me, if there are 19,000 passionate Columbus blue jacket fans who fill the building every night then leave them there. If not then move them to a city that will. This doesn't just go for the non traditonal markets. I think NJ should be relocated as well, preferably into oncoming traffic.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
TrueBlue9

The problem with Canadians teams wasn't fan base it was economics. I don't know that it would still be a problem today, but I too would like to see some teams move back to Canada. I am currently rooting for Nashville to pack up, but at the same time you have to ask yourself if all these teams leaving will further hurt the NHL. People in Canada are going to be fans no matter what. Without teams in the lower half of the US, hockey will only take a further backseat to the other major sports.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Must disagree about folding Columbus. They have a solid, proud group of fans. It's not their fault their team has been consistently terrible.

If anyone is giving Canadian hockey fans a bad name, it is the boys aged 10-18 who go on sites like this one and TSN to spout their jingoistic, chest-bumping garbage about how the US and everything/everyone in it are terrible and don't deserve hockey. I'd like to see opposition to that coming from Canada.

Proud Canadian here by birth and education, btw... just don't like what I'm seeing from some of my fellow fans.

Old
07-13-2007, 12:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Baiselle probably deserves a hockey team. He's like a hockey's Mark Cuban but i think he was way out of line with the Nashville situation. He hadn't even purchased the team and he was striking up arena and season-ticket pre-order deals. that's like auctioning off someone's estate before they've died, let alone, been buried. I must say, for how good Nashville's team was last season, the support they've gotten has been quite pitiful. That said, I think (especially in with new NHL economics) teams in Winnepeg and even Hamilton could be better supported.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote