HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Parachute question

Old
07-10-2007, 05:03 AM
koh19

vCash: 500
Parachute question

I just ordered a special parachute that you can tie to your waist and run with it. Can anybody give me some advice on how I can train with this thing. I know it's to improve speed and all that but do I have to sprint 30m or 100m or what.
thanks for your help

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Cujo31

My son was at a Canlan camp last week that used parachutes-I saw first drills. Its basically resistance training, instructor explained chute is similar to skating against rubber bands but players stay more in proper technique (skating posture) so more beneficial.

They had kids skating laps with chutes-most struggled to keep the chute airborn The 2-3 more advanced/faster skaters said it created a drag, they did 2 laps then dropped chutes and did 2 laps without-my son said he felt 'real fast' without the chute.

Even kids who couldn't keep chute in air got a workout trying to so its great for a hockey camp-these chutes were not very big, 3-4'.

Where can you use it privately-would draw a crowd at stick & puck.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:46 AM
koh19

thanks for the tips. Should I really do long but only a few sprints and then run without it or should I do several short burst for explosiveness.

Old
07-11-2007, 06:18 PM
MikeD

Its a short sprint tool first and foremost. Obviously, the faster you explode off a start, the more resistance you will experience. Ideal for indoor facilities but out of doors you have to contend with wind conditions. Honestly, the tool is of marginal benefit for hockey, IMHO. There are much more simplistic methods to make gains in speed and explosiveness that will provide larger "bang" for the time and money you invest. However, if your already engaged in "soccer" style sprint and running work outs it will provide that little step up.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
hockeystud938

are you using them on ice or on land

hockeystud938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:50 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Return the parachute and have a sled for sled dragging made. More consistent, and provides more resistance than a parachute. It can even provide less resistance if you want it too.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
koh19

It's on land. I looked all over for a compagny or website that ships to switzerland but I haven't found a single one. That's why I got a parachute...

Old
07-12-2007, 07:18 PM
MikeD

I am sure you have a childs plastic snow sled handy? I hear it snows quite a bit there in your neck of the woods. on grass they make a very good pulling sled that you can load with rock or plate weights.

The chute isnt worthless but it can add that slight increase to your dryland where you can fit it in. Should you be able to add aquatic work, you will really get a HUGE bang from the increased drag.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Wooty

The great Herschel Walker used to train dragging tires behind him. (this is running obvioiusly)

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
vincetheprince

Theres a Nike commercial in Canada where hockey players use the parachute while running. They run a soccer field length back and forth so thats what you should do as for length of exercise(I imagine they must do it like 20 times).

vincetheprince is offline   Reply With Quote