Now that I've finished designing my version of this years schedule, i've digested it and as usual -I found some noteworthy analysis:
Atlantic Division Games:
• 22 Division games in the months of November & March/April.
The other 4 months only 10 games versus the division foes.
• The Rangers play the Islanders 4 times in the first two months, but don't renew the rivalry again until March - 4 months later.
• The Rangers play the Devils at least once every month but January.
• They'll see Sidney Crosby 3 times in a span of less than 2 weeks (March).
• The Rangers play the Flyers 6 times in the second half of the season.
Out of Division Games:
• Like the Sabres last season, Ottawa and Toronto play the Rangers 4 times in the first half and thats it for the rest of the year.
• Reversed from last season the Sabres play the Rangers 4 times in the second half instead of the first.
• They'll be way out west to face the Flames, Canucks and Oilers in a 3 game trip at the start of the new year - After that trip they play 7 out of 9 at MSG
• 17 games will be played after they have played the night before.
Luckily only 6 of them are against division teams.
7 of those back to backers are in the first half of the season and 10 are in the second half of the schedule.
• Not including the opener, the Rangers will play:
17 Games on 0 days rest
39 Games on 1 days rest
14 Games on 2 days rest
8 Games on 3 days rest
2 Games on 4 days rest (October 14-17 & January 25-28 - (All-Star break)
1 Game on 5 days rest - (February 11-15, 5 weekdays off)
• The Rangers longest homestand is 6 games - as usual early in the year, October 25th to November 5th
• The longest road trip is 4 games is in November, the 10-17th.
• After January 5th, the Rangers do not leave the eastern time zone the rest of the season.
• In January, they have 2 Back-to-Back Home games vs. the same team - the Thrashers, directly before the All-Star break being held in.... Atlanta!
• The Rangers play 30 Weekend games and 52 weekday games.
• February is an odd month.
7 out of the 12 games are on the weekend, with 3 weekends where the Rangers play back to back on both Saturday and Sunday
One 5-day rest period between the 11-15
MSG matinees - They play 4 straight games at 1pm in the month of February (9,10,16,17)
- If anyone wants to print one out for themselves, this version makes it easy for the people who like to keep running stats. - PM me if interested.
Keep in mind though, i'll have to update the TV listings when MSG/2/FSNY/NBC get their set schedules so it will not be available until then.