HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the PK suffer with Orty gone?

Old
07-15-2007, 11:00 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Can't say that it will, we have two PKers in Gomez & drury.
Losing Orts will affect us in other ways.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 11:09 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Can't say that it will, we have two PKers in Gomez & drury.
Losing Orts will affect us in other ways.
Gomez is not a PK'er, no matter what you read on these boards. He is not.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 11:28 PM
DarthSather99

We have lots of guys who can play PK.....

I don't care what anyone here says, no one can replace Ortmeyer as a PK...he was supreme, blocking shots all over the place.....how can you people forget that.....he gave his heart and soul for this organization and was the very start of us using "real" Rangers...not the hired guns.

I really appreciated what he brought every night despite his offensive inadequacies

Will we get by without him? yes .....we will not be as good without him.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 11:58 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Orts was best on the pk. Even though the Rangers are geting better on the offensive side, they are falling on defensive forwards. our 4th line looks bad. (Hollweg, Betts, Orr ?)Killing will go mainly on Betts now. Shanny and Cullen will have more time on the pk maybe?

If Hollweg doesnt make the team or whatever- the last of the HMO line has finally died

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Ortmeyer was getting less PK time late in the season. he was 6th among Ranger forwards with 2:12 PK time/game in the playoffs, and the team killed 89%.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:39 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

IMO Drury easily replaces him. Plus he's pretty good on the faceoffs. Cullen, Avery, Drury, Betts. Not only do I think we're covered, but all four of those guys can take faceoffs.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:43 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
you obviously don't know what you are talking about. messier said that no body works harder and jd said he was a future captain. we started to turn around our season last year after he came back. i'm not saying the penalty kill will be terrible, but he was our best penalty killer, it won't be as good. not everybody has to score. especially this year.
Of course I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only been a Ranger fan for 20 years. I've seen hard working players come and go and we've done pretty well without them.

I'd bet almost anything that the PK will be better than last season or at worst comparable. Jed is NOT a player that makes or breaks a system. No knock on you, but Jed was not the reason this team made a second half surge.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:03 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I'm willing to bet it won't hurt the PK at all. Orts wasn't even as good at the PK this year in comparison to the year before, IMHO. He messed up quite a bit out there -- partly because of getting back into the flow, but it's not like he was the MAIN cog in the PK last year as far as I'm concerned.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
IMO Drury easily replaces him. Plus he's pretty good on the faceoffs. Cullen, Avery, Drury, Betts. Not only do I think we're covered, but all four of those guys can take faceoffs.
Change Avery to Gomez. Avery is much better off on the wing, and obviously Gomez is gonna play center. He is also good at faceoffs.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:12 AM
IanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Four players who can play the center position, plus we should have a bit more offensive potential with this group.

Avery will definitely kill penalties ahead of Gomez. He killed penalties with Betts last year, and did a fine job. Let Gomez worry about offense. With Drury already, dont want to risk putting too much of a workload on our two top centerman.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:31 AM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I have the fear that once again the NYR's are becoming too offensively minded. One of the best and most imporant parts of last season's success was the PK, and defense in general. It kind of has me worried, if Roszi gets hurt and Bett's goes down, we are in bad trouble.

Pretty much...

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:55 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Change Avery to Gomez. Avery is much better off on the wing, and obviously Gomez is gonna play center. He is also good at faceoffs.
Some posters would have me believe that Gomez is not a penalty killer. Not that he isn't capable. Plus, Avery did fine. Anyways, the POINT is that we have ample backup in Drury so that Ortmeyer's departure will not be missed. And if Rosie goes down? Call me a blind optimist but Marc Staal FTW!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 05:15 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Orts was best on the pk. Even though the Rangers are geting better on the offensive side, they are falling on defensive forwards. our 4th line looks bad. (Hollweg, Betts, Orr ?)Killing will go mainly on Betts now. Shanny and Cullen will have more time on the pk maybe?

If Hollweg doesnt make the team or whatever- the last of the HMO line has finally died
Orr definitely wont dress regulalry. I think they are leaving a rosdter spot open for the youth to compete for. If someone like Korpikoski makes the team then we have our ready made (and more talented) replacement for Orts.

We have plenty of options to fill the PK. I agree with another poster that Shanny shouldnt be over-used but btw Betts, Cullen, AVery, Drury and even at times Straka(?) we have plenty and im sure Shanny will take some if not alot of PK time... add to this my idea of a youngster like Korpedo getting a spot (+ PK time) and we'll be fine.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Kaktus*

Isn't Cullen about to get traded? So who is going to PK? Drury and Avery? Gomez did not PK much.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:31 AM
NYROrtsFan

Cullen isn't getting traded... There are other positions with more depth that would also clear more payroll if they were traded. Mara is the perfect guy to trade. He was pretty much on the third pairing last year and definitely wasn't as good as either of the top 2 pairings. Cullen makes half a mill less. Just not as much need to trade him.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:41 AM
NJRanger

jed's ability to block shots will be missed

NJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Cullen isn't getting traded... There are other positions with more depth that would also clear more payroll if they were traded. Mara is the perfect guy to trade. He was pretty much on the third pairing last year and definitely wasn't as good as either of the top 2 pairings. Cullen makes half a mill less. Just not as much need to trade him.
Post your link about Mara.. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car070712.html

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Bottom Line:

Our best PK'er is still here: Henrik Lundqvist.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Greg Moore = Ortmeyer's replacement.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:41 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Of course I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only been a Ranger fan for 20 years. I've seen hard working players come and go and we've done pretty well without them.

I'd bet almost anything that the PK will be better than last season or at worst comparable. Jed is NOT a player that makes or breaks a system. No knock on you, but Jed was not the reason this team made a second half surge.
you've been a ranger fan for 20 years congratulations. jed may not put points on the board but besides jagr and henrik the best part of the last two seasons was the penalty kill. ortmeyer always stood out. he provides energy, hits and the heart that the fans loved, except you i guess. we will not see shots blocked like that this year. and what was the reason that we made a second half surge. i will give it to you ortmeyer coming back and avery. whether you like it or not we let one of our best players go.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:02 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Bottom Line:

Our best PK'er is still here: Henrik Lundqvist.
Yeah but he cant do it all alone

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
you've been a ranger fan for 20 years congratulations. jed may not put points on the board but besides jagr and henrik the best part of the last two seasons was the penalty kill. ortmeyer always stood out. he provides energy, hits and the heart that the fans loved, except you i guess. we will not see shots blocked like that this year. and what was the reason that we made a second half surge. i will give it to you ortmeyer coming back and avery. whether you like it or not we let one of our best players go.
I'm not sure how you define best, but in my book a guy has to be one of the top 5 or certainly top 10 players on the team to be considered in that category. That said, despite Jed's great heart and effort he is not among that group.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 03:10 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm not sure how you define best, but in my book a guy has to be one of the top 5 or certainly top 10 players on the team to be considered in that category. That said, despite Jed's great heart and effort he is not among that group.
all i can say to that is you and everyone that is ok with letting ortmeyer go don't understand the importance of role players. i can understand your point that he might not be a top 5 player but without question he is in the top 10. and i'm talking 6 or 7. seventh in the league in blocked shots and sixth on the team with hits in only half of a season. he made everybody on that pk play better. betts goes down to block shots because he sees ortmeyer block a handful every shift. can you honestly say that you wanted jagr and nylander on the ice at the end of game five vs the sabres? i measure how great a player is not by how many points he has but by what he brings to the team. whether he is a goalie, goal scorer or a penalty killer.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 03:19 PM
IanB

Ortmeyer is a great role player, sure, but we have guys who can fill that same role if asked to, and bring a bit more to the table on top of it. No one is saying they want Nylander and Jagr to kill penalties. There is still an assistant coach whose primary job it is to manage special teams. The PK doesn't live or die based on Ortmeyer's example. The other players have brains too. Not that role players don't have value - they do - but, they are much easier to replace, or live without, than a goal scorer.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 04:00 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
all i can say to that is you and everyone that is ok with letting ortmeyer go don't understand the importance of role players. i can understand your point that he might not be a top 5 player but without question he is in the top 10. and i'm talking 6 or 7. seventh in the league in blocked shots and sixth on the team with hits in only half of a season. he made everybody on that pk play better. betts goes down to block shots because he sees ortmeyer block a handful every shift. can you honestly say that you wanted jagr and nylander on the ice at the end of game five vs the sabres? i measure how great a player is not by how many points he has but by what he brings to the team. whether he is a goalie, goal scorer or a penalty killer.
Role players can always be found in a solid system, which the Rangers have now. They let Ortmeyer go because he IS replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one of the Hartford boys out there this season gritting it out, blocking shots, and having a bit better touch around the net.....that's what makes a team solid...the ability to replace and upgrade some from within. I liked Jed as much as the next guy....but if this team is a serious contender, its exactly the type of player he is that is most vulnerable to being replaced from within the organization. I think Renney and Schoenfeld have a clue, and let Jed go for a reason without trying to keep him.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote