HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux Signs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2007, 09:56 PM
  #1
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Giroux Signs

I looked the board over for a good 10 minutes and did not find any posts on the Flyers signing Giroux, so if it has already been posted, my apologies.

http://www.lehockeyeur.com/nouvelles/2141

Article is in french.

Says Giroux signed a 3-year entry level deal worth the rookie max of 850,000 per year, the deal also included an $80,000 signing bonus.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 10:00 PM
  #2
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,730
vCash: 500
Hmph didn't see this one coming. Hes not AHL eligible. I expected Nodl to get a rookie deal cause apparently he was very impressive at camp this past week, Don Luce said he stood out among the forwards.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 10:02 PM
  #3
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Hmph didn't see this one coming. Hes not AHL eligible. I expected Nodl to get a rookie deal cause apparently he was very impressive at camp this past week, Don Luce said he stood out among the forwards.
Deal wont really kick in until he plays 10+ NHL games...so signing him early is nothing more than just getting it done.

Gatineau at 19 and then his 3-year deal will kick in.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 10:12 PM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,825
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Hmph didn't see this one coming. Hes not AHL eligible. I expected Nodl to get a rookie deal cause apparently he was very impressive at camp this past week, Don Luce said he stood out among the forwards.
Nodl wants to stay in school for at least next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Deal wont really kick in until he plays 10+ NHL games...so signing him early is nothing more than just getting it done.

Gatineau at 19 and then his 3-year deal will kick in.
Yeah, I'm not surprised at this. If he is good enough, I'd like to see that 9 game stint with the big team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 06:06 AM
  #5
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Deal wont really kick in until he plays 10+ NHL games...so signing him early is nothing more than just getting it done.

Gatineau at 19 and then his 3-year deal will kick in.
ah, NHL contracts are leage-year based... so that will use up a year of the contract in the meantime. i'm pretty sure this has proven to be true previously.

they did the same thing with Downie last year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 06:09 AM
  #6
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Yeah, I'm not surprised at this. If he is good enough, I'd like to see that 9 game stint with the big team.
Giroux won't be making this roster out of camp barring a miracle... there's nowhere to put him. Downie MIGHT be able to get onto this roster. however, with Gagne and Knuble, Hartnell and Upshall, Kapanen and Lupul, and Eager and maybe Downie... Giroux won't really have a spot to get on here unless he manages to knock off one of Knuble, Upshall, and Lupul.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 10:39 AM
  #7
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Giroux won't really have a spot to get on here unless he manages to knock off one of Knuble, Upshall, and Lupul.
Which is a possibility. I could see Giroux really deliver an outstanding performance. I was reading on Orange And Black dot net that Giroux came into camp at 190 pounds and was incredibly stronger than he was last year at this time. He really busted his backside this summer to get stronger and it was very noticeable.

However, I also read that while Don Luce was very impressed with Giroux (Luce said that Giroux and Nodl were probably the most skilled and best forwards at the rookie mini-camp), the last thing the Flyers are going to do is rush any of the kids into the lineup if they don't have to. I guess Giroux will be going back to junior.


Last edited by BobbyClarkeFan16: 07-15-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Ask Mikedifr, he knew the reason......lol
BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 11:25 AM
  #8
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Which is a possibility. I could see Giroux really deliver an outstanding performance. I was reading on Orange And Black dot net that Giroux came into camp at 190 pounds and was incredibly stronger than he was last year at this time. He really busted his backside this summer to get stronger and it was very noticeable.

However, I also read that while Don Luce was very impressed with Giroux (Luce said that Giroux and Vanek were probably the most skilled and best forwards at the rookie mini-camp), the last thing the Flyers are going to do is rush any of the kids into the lineup if they don't have to. I guess Giroux will be going back to junior.
I assume you mean Nodl???

At any rate, if Giroux plays that good and makes this team, just one more reason to move Lupul

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 12:24 PM
  #9
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I assume you mean Nodl???

At any rate, if Giroux plays that good and makes this team, just one more reason to move Lupul

Lol.....yeah, I meant Nodl. It's been a rough start to the day so far. I need to consume some barley-based beverages to get me back on track.....lol

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 12:56 PM
  #10
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
So when do we find out that they're moving Giroux to defense because it's nice to have versatile players?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 01:38 PM
  #11
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
ah, NHL contracts are leage-year based... so that will use up a year of the contract in the meantime. i'm pretty sure this has proven to be true previously.

they did the same thing with Downie last year.
Im fairly certain you are wrong about the "league-year based".

If he doesnt play 10+ games than his 1st year on the contract does not kick in. Therefore if he plays for Gatineau next season he wont lose a year.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
  #12
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
So when do we find out that they're moving Giroux to defense because it's nice to have versatile players?
And then they are going to try Parent in goal..

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 09:45 PM
  #13
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
And then they are going to try Parent in goal..
No no no, you have it all wrong. Briere is playing goal, Parent is playing first line centre.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:35 AM
  #14
SheroWorship
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
... At any rate, if Giroux plays that good and makes this team, just one more reason to move Lupul
Yeah. Maybe we can trade him for.... I don't know -






....Pitkanen

SheroWorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:43 PM
  #15
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Im fairly certain you are wrong about the "league-year based".

If he doesnt play 10+ games than his 1st year on the contract does not kick in. Therefore if he plays for Gatineau next season he wont lose a year.
i'm fairly certain i'm right about league-year... the 10 game thing is that he isn't allowed to go back after that point. 10 games is the demarkation point, if he plays past that he doesn't go back to his junior club.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:45 PM
  #16
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Which is a possibility. I could see Giroux really deliver an outstanding performance. I was reading on Orange And Black dot net that Giroux came into camp at 190 pounds and was incredibly stronger than he was last year at this time. He really busted his backside this summer to get stronger and it was very noticeable.

However, I also read that while Don Luce was very impressed with Giroux (Luce said that Giroux and Nodl were probably the most skilled and best forwards at the rookie mini-camp), the last thing the Flyers are going to do is rush any of the kids into the lineup if they don't have to. I guess Giroux will be going back to junior.
no offense, but this really stems from your eternal optimism with regard to prospects. while it would be fantastic if Giroux could make this club... we have too many young wingers to make it really feasible. there's too many guys that have a tough time fitting on this roster as of today, and that's without considering Giroux.

doesn't mean it CAN'T happen, just means it's exceedingly unlikely he pushes it this year. he's going to have his work cut out to make the club next year... Luce is also quoted as saying he thinks EVERYONE should play a year in the AHL.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
  #17
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i'm fairly certain i'm right about league-year... the 10 game thing is that he isn't allowed to go back after that point. 10 games is the demarkation point, if he plays past that he doesn't go back to his junior club.
From the CBA, section 9.1 (d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

Giroux doesn't turn 20 until next year, so he in fact doesn't accrue a league-year if he doesn't play in the requisite ten games this season. His birthday is January 12, so he's actually only 13 days outside of falling into that range, but we're still safe and can delay his first league-year if he doesn't play.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:54 PM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
From the CBA, section 9.1 (d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

Giroux doesn't turn 20 until next year, so he in fact doesn't accrue a league-year if he doesn't play in the requisite ten games this season. His birthday is January 12, so he's actually only 13 days outside of falling into that range, but we're still safe and can delay his first league-year if he doesn't play.
works for me... was always under the assumption they signed these guys early just to throw them a bone with getting to their next contract.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 05:30 PM
  #19
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i'm fairly certain i'm right about league-year... the 10 game thing is that he isn't allowed to go back after that point. 10 games is the demarkation point, if he plays past that he doesn't go back to his junior club.
Petr Vrana signed with New Jersey during his 18 year old season in Halifax...he is now 22 and finsihed his 2nd pro season...and he still has 1 more year on the Entry-Level deal.

I dont know if the new CBA changed this rule, but you dont get dinged a year on your deal unless you play 10+ NHL games.

Jonathan Bernier also has an NHL contract at age 18...why would NHL teams sign 18 year olds with no intention of playing them if they would lose 1-2 years on their cheapest contract?

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:35 PM
  #20
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheroWorship View Post
Yeah. Maybe we can trade him for.... I don't know -






....Pitkanen


Now THAT would be hilarious!!!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.