Old
07-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Howard35

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
A few questions about some Stars

I got a few questions for you guys.

1. Where do you see Lundqvist playing this year

2. Can Pushkarev make it out of camp, i mean is there a spot?

3. What kind of a year do you see Eriksson having?

4. what are the odds of Niskanen also making it out of camp?

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 12:50 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
He makes the team this season. Bottom 6 winger ... I think he has 2nd center potential, but not yet.
Quote:
Sadly, no. There are too many contracts on the team right now. Modano, Morrow, Lehtinen, Ribeiro, Halpern, Barnes, Fedoruk, Lundqvist, Hagman is 9 ... Eriksson, Winchester, Barch and Ott are 13, but I think Eriksson and Winchester are two-way contracts ... Miettinen and Jokinen are still unsigned for 15 ...
Quote:
Ask 10 people, get 10 answers. I think he skates on the 2nd line and has a breakout 25-goal campaign. Not everyone is so optimistic.
Quote:
Grossman is 1st on the rookie defender list, and with Zubov, Boucher, Robidas, Norstrom, Daley and Baumgartner under contract, I can't imagine both Grossman and Niskanen making it.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 01:05 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:

1. 3rd/4th line
2. not in dallas
3. 15 goal, 40 point season hopefully
4. also very slim

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 01:10 AM
________

vCash: 181
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Checking line with Halpern and Barnes.

Quote:
Doubt it, unless he's one of the six best forwards. Then it's even iffy, since he's on a two way contract, where the only other forward on the roster that's on a two way contract is Eriksson.

Quote:
Depends on if he gets top six forward minutes if he does Eriksson will put up 20 goals.

Quote:
15%. Grossman would have to play poor or another defenseman would have to get injured and Niskanen would have to play great in training camp.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 04:30 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
^ They've pretty much summed it up.

The Pushkarev and Niskanen questions are hard to give an accurate predictor since a trade is currently looming and we're not sure how many spots (if any) will be open. Either way, the chances are slim.

Eriksson is a tough call. I don't think a 20 goal season is out of the realm of possibility, but I'm also not sure he's going to make quite that jump. If he can pick and choose his end to end rushes a bit better and have a plan for when he gets to where he's going, then yeah, a breakout year is in order. Scoring at the NHL level is a lot about learning what areas of the ice to go to at a given time. Loui also didn't seem to get the same amount of golden opportunities that say, Jokinen, got his rookie season.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 09:56 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
^ They've pretty much summed it up.

The Pushkarev and Niskanen questions are hard to give an accurate predictor since a trade is currently looming and we're not sure how many spots (if any) will be open. Either way, the chances are slim.

Eriksson is a tough call. I don't think a 20 goal season is out of the realm of possibility, but I'm also not sure he's going to make quite that jump. If he can pick and choose his end to end rushes a bit better and have a plan for when he gets to where he's going, then yeah, a breakout year is in order. Scoring at the NHL level is a lot about learning what areas of the ice to go to at a given time. Loui also didn't seem to get the same amount of golden opportunities that say, Jokinen, got his rookie season.
Wasn't Eriksson skating with Modano and Lehtinen for a couple weeks? I know not everybody (Morrow) plays at their pace and really "works" with them, but it's not from a lack of opportunities. Give his contract status and given that Pushkarev and Neal are sitting around, if Eriksson doesn't put something together this year, he walks as an RFA next summer IMO.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Svensken

1. Same line doing a great job.
2. Probably not, but the dude is skilled.
3. Breakout year with more points.
4. No idea but I think atleast 2 yong D guys will get to play more.

Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Ripmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post

1. Same line doing a great job.
2. Probably not, but the dude is skilled.
3. Breakout year with more points.
4. No idea but I think atleast 2 yong D guys will get to play more.
Ditto.

Joel could really surprise this season.
Niskanen can play, but one more year here at Iowa and he will be ready.

Ripmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471

Starting on the third line with Halpern and Barnes. however, I don't think his leash is nearly as long as other people do, and I fear a sophomore slump from both him and Eriksson. He'll get the spot of out camp (assuming, of course, he comes in in shape - I have no reason to doubt he would) but may have to fight for it as the season wears on.

Not likely at all. As has been mentioned, the Stars have 12 forwards under one-way contracts with 2 more to be signed plus Eriksson. However, they have shown a willingness to change plans mid-camp before, so if he comes in and just shines, there's always a chance he could make it. If they think he's a top-two line winger who's ready, he'll get that shot. But again, the Stars have one too many forwards already, assuming the Finns re-sign.

I'm less optomisic than my compatriots here. I'd hope for a 15 goal, 50 point season. However, I'm guessing 5-10 goals and 30 points. Sophomores struggle in the NHL on a fairly consistent basis and his game is such a skill-reliant one I fear that other teams may be ready for him.

Very low, less than 5 percent (IMO). The Stars have six defensemen on one-way contracts and Grossman has all but assured himself a spot for this year. Niskanen has very, very limited AHL experience and needs at least a year of seasoning, if not two, before making the jump.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 05:14 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post

Starting on the third line with Halpern and Barnes. however, I don't think his leash is nearly as long as other people do, and I fear a sophomore slump from both him and Eriksson. He'll get the spot of out camp (assuming, of course, he comes in in shape - I have no reason to doubt he would) but may have to fight for it as the season wears on.
Actually, out of sheer luck (or something), there's a good chance that he'll arrive to camp more pumped than ever.

The Lundqvist twins, together with several other Gbg-based NHL:ers do their summer workout and practice with Frölunda.

And last season was a complete disaster, we missed the playoffs!

So it's been very clear, this summer will be used to make sure that next season will be something very different.
There'll be more and earlier of everthing, and I think that it'll will be quite a lot gung-ho spilling over to the dudes that leaves to go back to NA.

The only risk I see is that he's too hot when he comes over, and tries too hard.

But he has promised that he's not going to flatten Halpern in their first practice this year

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Ripmeister

I only had the pleasure of seeing Joel play in person for 40 regular season games and 9 playoff games, but that was enough time to tell these old hockey eyes that the boy can really play. He just gets better and better. He is a great faceoff man, he knows how and where to move without the puck, he is smooth-as-silk with the puck and hard to separate from same. He is already known for his hitting ability on the backcheck, and he has the speed and ice vision that make him good on the forecheck. Add his nose for the net and NHL caliber shot, and Viola! a future top 6 forward, no doubt in my mind. He will be making far more money soon.

Ripmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:50 AM
john skull

lunqvist I think will have a similar season to last except he won't be as worn down in late march. I think he'll be more consistent, get more minutes and be all around just a slightly better player. Mostly I think he'll come in strong and in better shape to handle an nhl season.

pushkarev could make it out of camp. we don't really have alot going on on the right wing. Like some one mentioned before though a trade is coming. He could be part of it. But if miettinen is shipped out and the trade isn't for a right winger he might have a spot to lose if he doesn't have a good camp.

Erikson could do any number of things I think it depends on how much he works on his shot in the off season, and how much bulk he puts on. If he is able to come be physicall and pick his spot at all he could have 60 points. But he could very well end up with 10g-15a.

our d is pretty solid. which is good. A guy like niskanen I want them to be able to take their time with.

john skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 05:50 PM
EatSleepJeep

My thoughts on Eriksson:
He has NHL hands atop AHL legs. If he has hit the gym this off-season and worked on his skating, he could have a breakout year. If you could put Conner's legs on this guy he'd be unstoppable, in my opinion. But if he comes out in last year's form, he'll be handled easily by NHL defenses and likely be shut down.

He had a lot of good scoring chances last year that he did not capitalize on because his positioning was slightly off. Had he been a stronger skater he could have put himself where he needed to be to get the goals. He has good vision and is creative with the puck, but if he can't find open ice, he's no good to the NHL.

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepJeep View Post
My thoughts on Eriksson:
He has NHL hands atop AHL legs. If he has hit the gym this off-season and worked on his skating, he could have a breakout year. If you could put Conner's legs on this guy he'd be unstoppable, in my opinion. But if he comes out in last year's form, he'll be handled easily by NHL defenses and likely be shut down.

He had a lot of good scoring chances last year that he did not capitalize on because his positioning was slightly off. Had he been a stronger skater he could have put himself where he needed to be to get the goals. He has good vision and is creative with the puck, but if he can't find open ice, he's no good to the NHL.
I have to admit that I don't like Loui.

I know that he's a proper homeboy and I'm supposed to like him but I think that he's a frikken pansy.

Leave him on the ice with Joel and poor Loui will lose the puck and become a wet spot on the boards, unless he ran away before that.

He does have a very good vision, and very good wheels, but he needs, or rathers depends, on someone that will give him space.

In many way I think that he's the anti-joel.

Loui is a top SEL forward, because he'll get the space, he'll time to work his magic.

Joel isn't a top SEL forward, because he's a minor beast and he'll spend way to much time in the sin bin.

In SEL terms Loui is a wizard, Joel is a brute.
In NHL terms Loui is a pansy, Joel is gritty.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:13 AM
LordHelmet

Agreed on Eriksson. If he worked hard at a good strength program this summer, he should have a better year - maybe 15/20/35.

His hands, wheels, poise, and sense were all great. He's got a good frame, but he was definitely at a disadvantage in strength.

He's still 21 though. More strength and experience will help bring him along nicely. I think his breakout year will be 08-09.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Stars-Preds

Quote:

1) I think Lundqvist starts on the checking line with Halpern/Barnes, but I could see him ending up in the top-6.

2) I don't think there's enough room for Pushkarev, but if he performs better than others vying for a roster spot (like Miettinen, Ott, Lessard, etc.) then he deserves a chance. He'll likely start in Iowa though.

3) I think Eriksson will play in the top-6 all season and finish with around 40-45 points (20 goals, 20 assists, something like that). If he gets top-6 minutes and plays with guys like Modano or Morrow all season I see no reason why he won't perform.

4) Niskanen's odds for making the team are slim to none (barring injury). I think he and Fistric are the eight and ninth defenseman, but they both need one more season at the AHL level to continue their development.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote