HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official: Cullen to Carolina for D Andrew Hutchinson, F Joe Barnes, 08 3rd

Old
07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
The way everyone's talking here, it looks like we just traded Staal... I guess we weren't all watching the same Cullen last year...
Hell, most people hated Cullen last year for most of the season. Yes, moving him to the third line helped a lot, but it was mainly because then people didn't have the scoring expectations for him. It's not like he played that much better all of a sudden when he became the 3rd line center.

In an ideal world, it would have been nice to keep him. In the real world, sometimes you have to make some moves.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't remember Avery being bad at center. In fact, I remember him being pretty good for at least a little bit.

At any rate, I think some people need to calm down.
Bingo. I agree. I also think that Avery is a 3rd liner with occasional usage on speciality teams and upper lines (if needed)...If we resign Hossa and Avery (I think we will), I have no problem with Avery as ther 3rd C..(or even Straka for that matter) ..Things will get sorted out in camp.

And I still think a forward and a D-man will probably go in another trade fro a D upgrade...But, we'll see..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
+1

The way everyone's talking here, it looks like we just traded Staal... I guess we weren't all watching the same Cullen last year...
I thought that Avery was out of place as the second line center. I could live with him as the 3rd line center if I had to.

07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
bobomironov

Quote:
What, did you expect them to give up Andrew Ladd? A first rounder? It's a pretty decent return for a 3rd liner making too much money and the Rangers being in a position where other teams knew they wanted to move him
but why make the move in the first place? we are getting 75 cents on the dollar. all this does is free up cap space at the expense of a part of last year's successful team.

matt cullen was matt cullen last year. he put up decent if not overwhelming numbers. why get rid of him, even if he is overpaid? somebody explain to me how we are better off now?

bobomironov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Bingo. I agree. I also think that Avery is a 3rd liner with occasional usage on speciality teams and upper lines (if needed)...If we resign Hossa and Avery (I think we will), I have no problem with Avery as ther 3rd C..(or even Straka for that matter) ..Things will get sorted out in camp.

And I still think a forward and a D-man will probably go in another trade fro a D upgrade...But, we'll see..
So what happens if Drury or Gomez gets hurt?

Avery or Straka centers the 2nd line? I dont like it. That was the problem last year. I think Peca is coming.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Fireonk

Imagine if we put out a line of Avery/Peca/Hollweg if teams were being physical with us. That would have to be the most hated line in the league.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Bretzky*

ehh.... not thrilled.... not jumping off the boat just yet though.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Renney=Savior*

Quote:
+1

Couldn't have said it better. Cullen showed flashes of being the guy we thought we were getting. But at the end of the day he was to inconsistant and is worth next years cap relief losing him wise.

Renney=Savior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

So whos next? Mara with his 3 million dollar contract?

Hutchinson can step in and probably provide the same job in the back end of the D pairs for MUCH MUCH less.

I feel like turning off my computer and just waiting until september.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

The return is fine....

The same people that say we have too many defensemen were saying the same thing last year...Anybody else remember how Martin Ricter "had to be signed to make the team?"

It's the same thing with strudwick...Strudwick was signed as insurance...HE CAN BE WAIVED after camp now that we have more depth...

If this move was the pre-cursor to Peca i'll be pissed...but as far as the trade goes this is more then fair value....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Onion Boy

I don't think many people care about losing Cullen. What we are worried about it how Slats is gonna fill the hole he just created.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
What, did you expect them to give up Andrew Ladd? A first rounder? It's a pretty decent return for a 3rd liner making too much money and the Rangers being in a position where other teams knew they wanted to move him
Keep Hutch, I'll take Barnes and make the 3rd a 2nd rounder.

I personally would have preferred to have kept Cullen because while he's not the ideal shut down type center, in this more free-flowing style of NHL, having a 3rd line center like Cullen is better than having cap flexibility at his expense.

Now, we lost pretty much our 2 best PK'ers in Cully and Orts, also I believe that Cullen was also our best face-off center as well?

Not really happy, think we could have done better by keeping him and dealing him later.

I'll be even less happy if this was done in part to make room for a useless Hossa.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:27 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I like hollweg but i hope he gets dealt, and id rather sign asham. Asham would add more offense and do just as much fighting and not take boarding majors.

Straka Gomez Jagr
Prucha Drury Shanny
Avery Peca Callahan
Asham Betts Moore/Korpikoski/Orr/Bourret
I agree on Asham. You could also get tid of Orr

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renney=Savior View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Cullen showed flashes of being the guy we thought we were getting. But at the end of the day he was to inconsistant and is worth next years cap relief losing him wise.
Let's not overlook the fact that the Rangers were initially using him as a 2nd line center which is something he isn't.

Once he was put back into his role of bing the 3rd line player that caught the Rangers eye in the first place, he played very well.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
So what happens if Drury or Gomez gets hurt?

Avery or Straka centers the 2nd line? I dont like it. That was the problem last year. I think Peca is coming.

As opposed to Cullen or Peca centering the second line?

Any way you look at it, the options suck if one of the top 2 centers go down.

That's the way it is for most teams in the NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Let's not overlook the fact that the Rangers were initially using him as a 2nd line center which is something he isn't.

Once he was put back into his role of bing the 3rd line player that caught the Rangers eye in the first place, he played very well.
I don't think he played all that much better, he just wasn't expected to score as much, so it seemed like he was playing better.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
eco's bones

My take is Cullen didn't work out to expectations (2nd line C) and his salary being what it is and for another three years the Rangers decided to move him--it's not just flexibility this year but the next two as well. Hutchison hopefully is better than what I've been hearing. Barnes and the 3rd I'm fine with. If the Rangers make a move for Peca they'll need to keep his salary down in the 1.5 mil range.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
JayMan82

Another reason I like this trade... This also promotes a possibility of seeing a prospect move up quicker (since Cullen had 3 years left on his contract)... Gives someone an opportunity to win a spot @ training camp...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
IMO he is not defensive enough to be the best 3rd line center in the game. Your checking line should be your shut down line.

And even if he is, isn't it better to finally have a true #1 center in Gomez and the best 2nd line center in the game in Drury??

I honestly am thinking, don't sign anyone else for the third line center spot, let Dubinsky take his shot, we have other guys who can fill in that role if necessary (Avery).
2nd best 2nd line centre Marleau is better.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
bagh

vCash: 562
Quote:

I personally would have preferred to have kept Cullen because while he's not the ideal shut down type center, in this more free-flowing style of NHL, having a 3rd line center like Cullen is better than having cap flexibility at his expense.

Now, we lost pretty much our 2 best PK'ers in Cully and Orts, also I believe that Cullen was also our best face-off center as well?

Not really happy, think we could have done better by keeping him and dealing him later.
The faceoffs shouldn't be a problem. If we really need to win one, Drury semed more than capable when he played against us in the playoffs. I really don't know how Gomez is on the faceoffs though.

I'm more worried about what this move is a precursor for.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:

I'll be even less happy if this was done in part to make room for a useless Hossa.
im still hoping useless hossa gets dealt down the line with boarding hollweg. I still hope we sign Asham. Him and Avery on a line with be awesome. Asham killed penalties on the Islanders and on the Habs I believe. Hed be cheaper than most of the UFA out there now.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
JayMan82

Quote:

I gotta disagree with you there... BETTS was our best penalty killing forward... BTW, Hossa is as defensively responsible as anyone on our team. At WORST he has a 4th line spot locked up...

Old
07-17-2007, 11:32 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobomironov View Post
why make this trade? i don't like it at all. i think cap maneuverability is not worth all this turnover and losing Cullen.

The turnover happened already before the Cullen move. I still say we are 2-3 years away from a serious run at the cup. Hopefully someone from within gets a chance at the #3 center spot.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Black Tank

I'm very happy with the move. Cullen underperformed the entire year and didn't show anything that would warrant treating him as a crucial part of a Cup team. If we don't give players like Dubinsky a chance to line up against the Crosbys, etc, how will you ever know if they're ready ???

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ap215

Sorry to see Cullen go i wish him well in carolina i hope Hutchinson and Barnes do well here it's possible they did this for cap flexibility to either re-sign Avery or trading Mara or Malik or bringing in another FA perhaps.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
2nd best 2nd line centre Marleau is better.
In a Stanley Cup Finals game, i'll take Drury...