HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen's Replacement

Old
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Cullen's Replacement

While Mike Peca is the early leader in the rumor department, there are other available centers who could fill the Rangers 3rd line role, if Sather is interested in signing a veteran to a low $, 1 year contract. Any thoughts on Eric Lindros, Jason Allison, Josef Vasicek, Denis Arkhipov, Patrik Stefan, Arron Asham, Travis Green, Jan Bulis? Vasicek is an interesting possibility. He was a very good defensive center for the Canes before he ran into injury issues.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

wouldn't mind a Lindros sign or a Allison sign either. Peca, so-so. Not many rangers fans are interested in what Peca brings to the table.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
mschmidt64

Does anyone have a list of (remaining) free agents?

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:29 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
While Mike Peca is the early leader in the rumor department, there are other available centers who could fill the Rangers 3rd line role, if Sather is interested in signing a veteran to a low $, 1 year contract. Any thoughts on Eric Lindros, Jason Allison, Josef Vasicek, Denis Arkhipov, Patrik Stefan, Arron Asham, Travis Green, Jan Bulis? Vasicek is an interesting possibility. He was a very good defensive center for the Canes before he ran into injury issues.

id love a Asham Avery Callahan line

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
ive thought about some replacements ..

out of all those stefan might be best , plus hes young and was #1 overall ..
our setting might be best for him.. a czech team with jagr leading the way .. hes czech .. prob wouldnt cost more than 1 mill . i doubt the big names on that list would wanna be #3 centers .. slats made this trade also cause theres enough #3+ centers available . heck even some big names would sign for the contract cullen had if they would agree to be #3 and p.p shoeins most of the time lol

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
NYR1724

The Rangers with the moves of Drury, Gomez, and the tendency of the scouting staff to draft players who play the gritty north/south game would pass on somebody like Stefan.

Out of names mentioned, I like Vasicek the most, but I would rather see them give Dubinsky a chance.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Jagr68Lundqvist30

Stefan/Bulis, sign me up

Jagr68Lundqvist30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabevh3 View Post
out of all those stefan might be best , plus hes young and was #1 overall ..
our setting might be best for him.. a czech team with jagr leading the way .. hes czech .. prob wouldnt cost more than 1 mill . i doubt the big names on that list would wanna be #3 centers .. slats made this trade also cause theres enough #3+ centers available . heck even some big names would sign for the contract cullen had if they would agree to be #3 and p.p shoeins most of the time lol
If he signs a two-way contract, I'll take a look in camp, especially since he's still young and a Czech. But ONLY as a look-see. If he screws the pooch in camp, we dump him for no loss.

Honestly, I'd prefer to see Dubinsky or Anisimov (or Pyatt or Dupont) step up and take that spot.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
gabevh3

lindros

what did he say about being here ? didnt he say something about the hockey not being right or something? then again theres a new culture here now

Old
07-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Ill take Peca.
Absolutely no Stefan.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:15 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
what did he say about being here ? didnt he say something about the hockey not being right or something? then again theres a new culture here now
I dont remember him saying anything, his dad though had a few choice words.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:17 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

At this point, if Peca is not an option (i.e he wants more than we are willing to pay) then I'd approach Lindros and explain to him what his role is going to be.

No PP time, probably no PK time and for him to focus more of his game around a defensive mindset, while maintaining some offensive abilities.

35-45+ points would be nice, but I'd want to make sure that he knew that he was being brought in solely as a 3rd liner and nothing more.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM
NoCurse94

Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
i would like dubinsky to get every opportunity to win that job

NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:25 PM
NYR469

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:29 PM
gabevh3

interesting about friesen..

Assets : Is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, which continues to make him a threat on the ice. Usually raises his level of play come playoff time.
can he play center ?
vasicek is only 26 ? y hasnt he been snatched up ?

Old
07-17-2007, 10:32 PM
NoCurse94

Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
avery dubinsky callahan

DO IT

NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:07 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Assets : Is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, which continues to make him a threat on the ice. Usually raises his level of play come playoff time.
can he play center ?
vasicek is only 26 ? y hasnt he been snatched up ?
i think carolina traded back for him.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:35 AM
eco's bones

Of that list Asham is a winger--one I've always liked but I don't think we have a spot for him. Vasicek has size, strength, some skill and is his mid twenties. He would be okay to me if he came cheap enough.

Beyond that are the rumblings about Peca. That wouldn't surprise me now. I do wonder however what it will cost and how much Peca has left in the tank.

And then there is filling from within. I liked what I saw of Dubinsky last year. Anisimov also did pretty well in the Russian Super league and impressed at the development camp maybe enough where the Rangers think that he can challenge for a spot. That's speculation somewhat.

One thing for sure keep Betts away from the third line. He's fine on the fourth. But if we want any offense out of the third--and we should--we need to have someone with a bit more creativity.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:39 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Asham isnt needed here. We tried to fill center spots last year with wingers with varying success. Avery did ok, but was better as a winger etc...

Either bring a vet like Peca in for a year to bridge the gap when Dubi is TRUELY ready or give Dubi, Anisimov and maybe Pyatt(?) a chance to compete for the job... i do think the job is atleast a year too early for any of these though - especially if we're taking a run at the cup...

I agree with eco, Betts has to stay on the 4th- he is too good at what he does and why mess with a successful recipe? (4th line and PK) plus he is very very limited offensively.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

one reason I believe the third line spot will either belong to Betts or a somewhat veteran player we bring in is that in all likelihood the wingers for the third line would be callahan and prucha (maybe Avery or Hossa too) but i just could not see a line of say, callahan, prucha, dubinsky/anisimov its just too inexperienced defensively while it may beexciting to watch, if i were renney, its not a combo I'd throw out there for a third line

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:29 AM
NYRJurgen88

Sandstrom - Its a valid reason, and i always think Renney will take the cautious approach (not too much youth) in anything he does (not always a bad thing) but i really cant see betts being moved.

I'd see a more likely scenario being Prucha on a higher line and Avery on the 3rd line for more grit, experience and simply the fact he's better suited there.

i'd likea line of Avery - Peca/Dubi - Callahan.

Peca would be a nice, short term, fit but i hope Dubi would be ready, though another year inthe A is exactly what he needs...

Old
07-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Nich

anybody else feel that the fans are pushing for dubi whether he is ready or not?

i mean seriously, the kid is 20/21. whats with the impatience? or do people quickly forget the manny malhotras we have had because we have done just what the fans are asking for? another year in the ahl will do nothing but let him develop more.....just my 2 cents

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:04 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
anybody else feel that the fans are pushing for dubi whether he is ready or not?

i mean seriously, the kid is 20/21. whats with the impatience? or do people quickly forget the manny malhotras we have had because we have done just what the fans are asking for? another year in the ahl will do nothing but let him develop more.....just my 2 cents
I agree with you here, if Dubi earns the spot out of camp, great. Let him dictate wether he can play the 3rd line center spot in terms of earning it out of camp.

If not, then another year in Hartford wouldn't hurt his developement.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
mjdlight

Signing Peca would be a classic Rangers move circa 1998-2004: getting a name brand player who is brittle and a shell of his former self. Ditto on Lindros.

mjdlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:12 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post

I have mentioned in my previous post, and in numerous threads on Dubi/centers/rookies etc etc... that i dont think he is ready. 43 points in your rookie year in the A doesnt qualify you as ready for full time NHL minutes IMO. If he puts up 60-65 points this year in the A and more importantly plays hard consistently then he will be due for promotion.

Its his lack of readiness why i have agreed with bringing in a useful, cheap vet like Peca(?) to bridge the gap for a year until a player like Dubi or maybe even Anisimov are ready.

Not everyone here is impatient!!!