HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is home ice advantage really an advantage anymore?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2004, 08:09 PM
ehc73

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Is home ice advantage really an advantage anymore?

With the great battles going on for division leads and home ice advantage in the playoffs, it sorta made me wonder: is home ice advantage really an advantage anymore?
Here's a few reasons why it might not:
1) Community functions distract from focusing on hockey
2) Family distractions
3) Most new arenas are built basically the same and there aren't really any quirks specific to each building. Before, arenas had different sized ice surfaces(varied by a foot or two, not significant). They also had different boards so the pucks bounced differently off of them and slits in the boards cause the puck to bounce weirdly. New buildings have everything basically the same. The dressing rooms are the same, the ice surface size is the same, the boards are the same. Basically the only thing different is the ice, partly due to the environment(like the thin air of Colorado or the worse quality ice the further south you go due to the warm temperatures) and partly due to the knowledge of the ice makers. Teams don't really have to change their game to adapt to the arena anymore, just to the opponent on the ice.

As a result of all of this, a team can have a really good road record, and not having one means you might not be an elite team anymore. So is home ice advantage really an advantage anymore? If so, what really makes it home ice advantage now? The fans? If it's not an advantage, is the difference in getting home ice advantage really that big of a deal?

Old
03-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Aerolanche

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd rather play Game 7 in my own barn.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
See Devils home vs. away records in last years playoffs for answer. Or just the SCF.

Old
03-06-2004, 08:17 PM
electric

There's the line change rule...

Personally, though... if I was a player I'd play better on the road. It's just so much more exciting to sleep in the hotel with the boys and go out at night to find the best bars in a new city... at home, you've seen it all... same old arena... same old stuff...

Old
03-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Breck Av

I wish the mile high air actually made it tough for teams to play in Colorado. It obviously makes no difference, since the Avalanche haven't really been good at home since 2000-'01. Athletes today are in so much better shape than they were even 15 to 20 years ago. The altitude is nothing to these guys.

I'd love to see an NHL retro building movement like MLB baseball has gone through since Camden Yards was built. All these new arenas are basically the same, it's starting to resemble the 1970's when every baseball team seemed to play in a cookie cutter oval like Veterans Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, and Riverfront Park.

I miss watching games from the Aud, the Forum, Chicago Stadium, Boston Garden etc.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Ford Prefect

Of course there is an advantage. If you play 4 7-game series over the course of the playoffs, as the home team you get 4 extra games. That can lead to revenues of 10,000,000 that you wouldn't otherwise have. Which could translate to better free agent pick ups, etc.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Spooner

Send a message via AIM to Spooner
Pens 1-15-1-0 in last 17 games at home.

But then again, they are the Pens.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Takeo

No. I'd much rather try to split the opening of a series than have to take a 2-0 lead.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:19 PM
detredWINgs

As a wings fan. YES. we SUCK on the road and are just a game above .500, yet we have the best home record in the league and are 26-5-3-0 at home.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:23 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
No. I'd much rather try to split the opening of a series than have to take a 2-0 lead.
If you're worried about that, you're already a losing team. That means you can't handle pressure, must be an underdog so the pressure is always on the other team, you'll choke because you're tied 1-1 heading to the other teams rink, etc.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:52 PM
ColdSteelOnIce

I think Takeo21's post was meant to be sarcastic.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:53 PM
ColdSteelOnIce

Or at least I hope so, rather.

I think a lot of the home ice advantage comes from long homestands vs. long road trips. It's a lot easier to play the sixth consecutive game at home than a sixth consecutive game on the road.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:06 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Not exactly.

When Buffalo went to the ECF and SCF they didn't have home ice advantage.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:13 PM
morrow1005

Send a message via AIM to morrow1005 Send a message via Yahoo to morrow1005
If you ask the Dallas Stars they will tell you it is.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Not exactly.

When Buffalo went to the ECF and SCF they didn't have home ice advantage.
But the only team to win the Stanley Cup without home advantage in at least one round was NJ in 95' ...

Old
03-06-2004, 11:30 PM
HuskyDave

Someone mentioned it before, but I'll reiterate it. Home ice is extremely important because of the line change rule. That rule states that the home team gets the last line change before the puck drops. Thus, the home coach can be guaranteed he gets the matchups he wants when the puck is dropped.

Let's say the Wings are playing the Avs in Game 7 of the WCF and Colorado's goalie isn't so bummed about his infamous Statue of Liberty play that he actually shows up to stop the puck. It's 2-2 with 5 minutes left in the third. Granato sends out a line of Forsberg centering Hedjuk and Tanguay to take the faceoff in the Wings zone. Dave Lewis, seeing what Granato has sent out, now can adjust his lines to get him the best possible matchup. He may decide to send out Yzerman between Maltby and McCarty. Yzerman is one of the league's top face off men and Maltby is one of the few players in the league that can cover Forsberg one-on-one. This gives Detroit a slight but important edge in the game. Often during the playoffs you'll see the visiting team immediately change up the lines after the puck is dropped to minimize this advantage to the home team.

Now many of today's coaches do not know how to fully utilize this advantage. Scotty Bowman was a master of getting the best players on the ice for every matchup possible. Lemaire is also great at it. Granato and Crawford are maybe among the worst in the league and lose the home ice advantage for their teams.

Old
03-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Two cliches that are very valid:

- Home ice in a seven game series only matters come Game #7.

- Home ice is not an advantage until one team wins one on the road.

Personally, see modest advantage in home ice, based on watching a million playoff series over the years. Steal one on the road to start a series and you can be off and running.

Its kind of bizarre to think that Philly, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Ottawa and Boston are going to bloody themselves trying to capture the first seed in the Conference, only to potentially lose the home ice advantage in a matter of the first 60 minutes of the playoffs to a team with approx. 20 less points overall over the season.

Might be fairer (and it might create even more competition) to award the top two teams pointwise a five games to two advantage in the first round.

That is:

1st seed v. 8th seed: 5 home games v. 2
2nd v. 7th: 5 v. 2
3rd v. 6th: 4 v. 3
4th v. 5th: 4 v. 3.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-07-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old
03-07-2004, 01:43 AM
MoS*

yes it matters imo.

younger players imo are more affected and can be easily swayed. a good play and cheers will fuel them to drive at winning harder while some boos might be able to throw them off their game. imo that is why veteran leadership and experience matters so much. a team like detroit, no matter how much the canucks fans booed at chelios and yzerman, they still managed to play undisturbed and were very consistent throughout the series.

Old
03-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Lyons71

Home ice is VERY important. Look at the Ducks. They would be in the playoffs if they could win more than ten games on the road.

Old
03-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Vanya

In any sport, I think the home ice/field/court advantage comes down to one thing: The right to host a Game 7.

And in hockey, as mentioned above, the line change rule is vital, especially to a team like the Devils.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose
Look at the beginning of the Flyers eason. If your in the Philly area, there were these commercials with Ken Hitchcock talking about Home Ice Advantage. It was this big ad campaign and everyone thought it weas really stupid. Then the flyers went on to win their first 15 home games (i think it was 15).

Closed Thread