HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anybody use T-Blades? Opinions?

Old
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

vCash: 500
Anybody use T-Blades? Opinions?

Because of the lack of a decent skate sharpening shop in the area lately, I've been looking into getting the T-Blades for my skates. A guy I know likes them, but he's only used them. I'd like to know more opinions from people who use them and can compare them to conventional blades.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's the link. But I'd like to get the opinions of those who have actually used/use them.

Thanks.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:21 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3407
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=T-Blades

that might help u abit.

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
Because of the lack of a decent skate sharpening shop in the area lately, I've been looking into getting the T-Blades for my skates. A guy I know likes them, but he's only used them. I'd like to know more opinions from people who use them and can compare them to conventional blades.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's the link. But I'd like to get the opinions of those who have actually used/use them.

Thanks.
I'm a goalie so I dont use them, but I have friends who have used them. They say that it is nice and is not hard to replace the blades when they break. I've heard that it takes a lil bit of time to adjust to it. Also if you have played against anyone with t-blades you know that they are very loud.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Couple more:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=blade
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=blade

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

Thanks for the replies people! I'm still undecided. I could drive about 30 minutes for sharpening, but that gets annoying. The sound thing is kinda of weird though...

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 08:46 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
Thanks for the replies people! I'm still undecided. I could drive about 30 minutes for sharpening, but that gets annoying. The sound thing is kinda of weird though...
I know ppl who mail them out...and have to pairs of runners. They go thru No-Icing Sports: http://noicingsports.com/index.html

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Rotang

From what I've gathered T-blades may be going out of business in the near future.

recently bought a new pair of skates and was heavily considering to opt for t-blades. Every pro-shop that I went to warned against swithcing now because they probably wouldn't be available for much longer.

I've seen no other reports to confirm this, but it was enough to make me settle on the new tuuk lightspeeds.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Pioneer13

Fingernails on a chalkboard. They sound awful. That said, they take some time to get used to. I tried them for a week (maybe 4-5 hours on ice) and switched back to tuuks. To me they just didn't feel as solid as other bladeholders. I was afraid if I took a hard pass in the skates that they would break. Probably all in my head though.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Bladetek

I know plenty of youngsters who switched to the T-Blade, however none of them stayed with them more than a full season. They all went back to the traditional steel runners and holders. Most informed me of too many hassles or too much cost. One of the guys whos dad got the t-blades at a cut rate didn't last the season. ?
Who woulda thought! Thier advertising brags them up very high?

Bladetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Nbr-17

I switched at the beginning of the summer season and really like them so far. The noise either gets less & less as you skate on them, or I've gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore. I like how consistent my skates feel everytime I step on the ice. No more worries, if buddy screwed up my skates when he sharpened them. There is also a noticable weight difference. To extend the life of the runners you can switch them from left to right as usually the inside edge will be more worn then the outside. As far as cost is concerned, get your runners in bulk from an on-line supplier. You will not find a lot of pro-shops/LHS that will recommend t'blades, but keep in mind that they make 100% profit margin on sharpening whereas they would only make X% on t'blades. More often then not skate sharpening is a major source of income for them.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadiggitystank View Post
From what I've gathered T-blades may be going out of business in the near future.

recently bought a new pair of skates and was heavily considering to opt for t-blades. Every pro-shop that I went to warned against swithcing now because they probably wouldn't be available for much longer.

I've seen no other reports to confirm this, but it was enough to make me settle on the new tuuk lightspeeds.
No they are not going away. The Europe skates on T-blade. That's huge market.

With Tblades the shops loosing money they have invested previously in sharpening machines. The machine costs a few grands. It pays itself off in a few years only if people sharpen their skates. T-blade put the end to it.

I had CCM Vector 120zx. The T-blade system is awesome. You can consistently have the rocker and grove of your liking. Unfortunately Vector boot the skates came with had never agreed with my feet and I went back to Eastons. Easton does not offer T-blade and I didn't dare to swap the holder on $500 pair. The foot feels fine, but precision of T-blade is something that I miss. I used S-rocker and 13 mm grove (which is 5/8").

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Bladetek

Good Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
I switched at the beginning of the summer season and really like them so far. The noise either gets less & less as you skate on them, or I've gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore. I like how consistent my skates feel everytime I step on the ice. No more worries, if buddy screwed up my skates when he sharpened them. There is also a noticable weight difference. To extend the life of the runners you can switch them from left to right as usually the inside edge will be more worn then the outside. As far as cost is concerned, get your runners in bulk from an on-line supplier. You will not find a lot of pro-shops/LHS that will recommend t'blades, but keep in mind that they make 100% profit margin on sharpening whereas they would only make X% on t'blades. More often then not skate sharpening is a major source of income for them.
That is a very good tip about switching left and right runners to gain a refreshed inside edge. A practice that I suspect not many people are aware of. . .

It is too bad that competant sharpeners are hard to find in some regions. . . . Sharpening skates is not rocket science, its simple to provide accurate and flexible service at reasonable rates. (see my website)

Bladetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:37 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I love them since I like my blades to be sharpen to the max, had to go sharpen them after every game. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore. But they take a bit to get used to it. Everytime I start skatin when the new skating starts I think that i cant skate anymore lol.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:19 PM
TheUndertow40Six2

I find that it's a mixed bag with the TBlades. Half the people love them, and the other half want them taken off their skates immediately.

As far as your skates, Rapid... I'll cut 'em!

TheUndertow40Six2 is offline   Reply With Quote