HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery

Old
07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
charliemurphy

vCash: 500
Sean Avery

Been a while since my last post.
Just wanted to get some input on any news about signing Avery for the upcoming season and/or long term.
I'm pretty excited about the signings/resignings and any potential trades (perhaps either Mailk or Mara) in the near future.
I don't think there is any doubt in any NHL fans eyes that the Rangers are going for a serious run at the Cup this season. Having said that, I don't think it's unfair to say that Avery was big part of the second half turnaround when he was brought onboard. Granted Avery didn't seem to show as much against Buffalo as he did with the rest of the teams we faced but I don't think there is a doubt that Avery brings a shot in the arm to the team game in and game out. Not to mention his style of play is liked by guys like Jagr and Shanahan.
With Cullen being dealt would it be fair to say that the Rangers intend to sign Avery and have him center the 3rd line with Prucha and Callahan on the wings? I ask because when Avery was first brought on board I specifically remember him centering the 2nd line at times and doing a good job at winning face-offs, going to the net creating plays, annoying goalies, etc.
If he does get resigned (I don't see why not with Cullen now off the books) does anyone think Prucha may get bumped up with Shanahan and Drury and perhaps someone like Dawes comes out of camp and plays alongside w/Avery and Callahan? I mention Dawes because he should get a long look in camp and definetely benefits from playing with guys that have speed and can make plays. I thought he had great chemistry with Bourret towards the end of the season and immediately thought of Callahan and the possible chemistry together. Besides, I think it's about time to see what Dawes can really do in the NHL. Does anyone seriously think he needs another season in the AHL?
I apologize for the long ass post. I don't post very often. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard any news on us resigning Avery.

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy View Post
Been a while since my last post.
Just wanted to get some input on any news about signing Avery for the upcoming season and/or long term.
I'm pretty excited about the signings/resignings and any potential trades (perhaps either Mailk or Mara) in the near future.
I don't think there is any doubt in any NHL fans eyes that the Rangers are going for a serious run at the Cup this season. Having said that, I don't think it's unfair to say that Avery was big part of the second half turnaround when he was brought onboard. Granted Avery didn't seem to show as much against Buffalo as he did with the rest of the teams we faced but I don't think there is a doubt that Avery brings a shot in the arm to the team game in and game out. Not to mention his style of play is liked by guys like Jagr and Shanahan.
With Cullen being dealt would it be fair to say that the Rangers intend to sign Avery and have him center the 3rd line with Prucha and Callahan on the wings? I ask because when Avery was first brought on board I specifically remember him centering the 2nd line at times and doing a good job at winning face-offs, going to the net creating plays, annoying goalies, etc.
If he does get resigned (I don't see why not with Cullen now off the books) does anyone think Prucha may get bumped up with Shanahan and Drury and perhaps someone like Dawes comes out of camp and plays alongside w/Avery and Callahan? I mention Dawes because he should get a long look in camp and definetely benefits from playing with guys that have speed and can make plays. I thought he had great chemistry with Bourret towards the end of the season and immediately thought of Callahan and the possible chemistry together. Besides, I think it's about time to see what Dawes can really do in the NHL. Does anyone seriously think he needs another season in the AHL?
I apologize for the long ass post. I don't post very often. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard any news on us resigning Avery.
i agree, id love to see one of Dawes, Korpikoski, Bourret or Byers make the team. Im hoping for Byers to replace Hollweg this year and Dawes, Korpikoski or Bourret to replace Hossa. Byers would add more offense and is alot bigger and physical as well over 200 pim. Hollweg is a good hitter but that is all, he dont have much offensive skill.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:09 AM
blue2noise

No and I'm getting nervous about it. We cannot let him get to arbitration and become a UFA after this season.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:13 AM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i agree, id love to see one of Dawes, Korpikoski, Bourret or Byers make the team. Im hoping for Byers to replace Hollweg this year and Dawes, Korpikoski or Bourret to replace Hossa. Byers would add more offense and is alot bigger and physical as well over 200 pim. Hollweg is a good hitter but that is all, he dont have much offensive skill.
Well, I never mentioned Korpikoski, Bourret or Byers. Perhaps Byers may get a look if someone on the 4th line goes down but I don't think he's quite ready yet. I seriously doubt either Korpikoski or Bourret make the team. They both need at least another season in the AHL. Korpikoski probably needs another two seasons.
Is Hossa even resigned yet?
My points on the post was finding out info on whether or not Avery has been or will be resigned. And if so and because of the Cullen trade it definitely frees up a vacancy for someone like Dawes to make a serious impression to earn a spot. I might be in the minority here but I don't think Avery should be on the first 2 lines. IMO...Avery is ideal as a 3rd line center/wing. Being that he has had success centering in the past I think the circumstances would be worked out so that a possible line of Dawes-Avery-Callahan is something that may actually happen out camp. Unless that idea is really far fetched. If it is, be gentle kiddies.
BTW, do you really think Callahan will be the future C of the Rangers? Say it isn't so Jorts.

Old
07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
No and I'm getting nervous about it. We cannot let him get to arbitration and become a UFA after this season.
I dont think Sather is dumb to let him become an UFA. Id sign him 4 year deal at most 2.0 per year with bonus incentives.

Old
07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Love the avatar...do you hear the sustain?
I would think that because of the recent trade of Cullen that it would free up more cap space for us to sign Avery.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but if he goes to arbitration the Rangers can match the price and work out a longer term deal in the season. Not unlike the recent resigning of Lundqvist.
Agreed. Not nervous but I'm a bit anxious to see us lock Avery up. At least for next season. I thought he fit in seamlessly and provided a lot on as well as off the ice.

Old
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
If he goes to arbitration, the Rangers can accept what he is awarded or walk away from it, making him UFA.

I don't think he'll be the third line center, he's better as a wing and we have some in-house options (Dubinsky, hopefully Anisimov soon) that seem capable of filling that spot. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I'd be surprised if he ended up at center.

I wouldn't mind taking his arbitration award and letting him play the season on it. I want to make sure he's actually turned the corner from reckless goon to super-pest with decent offense before I sign him long term. I understand that by the same token if he performs well he'll want a fat deal, but it's a risk I'd consider taking. Either way I look forward to having him with us this season.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:08 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whats up charlie? long time.

Avery wil lget signed. I just hope its doen smoothly because we wouldnt want an upset Avery here making things more complicated in the locker room. This team has enough problems in the pocketbook.

Make it happen. But like it said i would only give him a two year deal - something about Avery is mysterious. He could flip his lid anytime and locking him into a long term deal wouldnt be a smart business decision imo.

I dont care if hes UFA. If he wants to leave the Rangers than thats one guy you dont want here when hes unhappy about something. If he still loves it here in two years everythings gone right and hell stay if he really does want to stay. Hes not gonna score 40 goals and become another 6 million dollar guy anyway.

P.S. i still cant stand Gomez's face. Its gonna take me a few months to get used to this.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If he goes to arbitration, the Rangers can accept what he is awarded or walk away from it, making him UFA.

I don't think he'll be the third line center, he's better as a wing and we have some in-house options (Dubinsky, hopefully Anisimov soon) that seem capable of filling that spot. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I'd be surprised if he ended up at center.

I wouldn't mind taking his arbitration award and letting him play the season on it. I want to make sure he's actually turned the corner from reckless goon to super-pest with decent offense before I sign him long term. I understand that by the same token if he performs well he'll want a fat deal, but it's a risk I'd consider taking. Either way I look forward to having him with us this season.
In terms arbitration numbers...how much do you think the max for Avery would be? $2m?
The reason why I brought up centering the 3rd line is because of his recent experience centering when was brought on board. And IMO...Avery isn't a top 2 line winger. Ideally, Avery could have a much better impact centering a line with Callahan on one side and either Prucha (or if Prucha gets bumped up--I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a line of Prucha-Gomez-Jagr for a few games to see what happens) or the possibility of a winger like Dawes who can put the puck in the net while complimenting both Callahan and Avery. Dawes-Avery-Callahan...definitely a line that can be a handful. Fast and physical with the capability of putting up points.
The in-house options...IMO...Dubinsky wouldn't be hurt developmentally if he spent another season at Hartford. Anisimov. I have to think he'll need one season at Hartford. I definitely look forward to both Anisimov and Cherapanov playing at MSG in the near future. 2009? Anyway, being that Rangers are really going for it this season, I can't see them giving the 3rd line center job to Dubinsky. Out of camp, that is. Injuries aside, I think the one new face Ranger fans will see out of camp will be Marc Staal.
Would you be surprised if Avery was the 3rd line Center?

Old
07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Who knows, Straka may end up as #3 center.

Hossa - Gomez - Jagr
Avery - Drury - Shanny
Prucha - Straka - Callahan
etc.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
broadwayblue

Neither Avery nor Straka should center the 3rd line. Avery is best suited to wing, so he can maximize his play as a nuisance to opponents. While Straka could be effective as the 3rd line center, it's probably not the best place for him either.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
charliemurphy

Well, I guess this thread was fun while it lasted.
I take it there is no word on Avery being signed yet.

Old
07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Who knows, Straka may end up as #3 center.

Hossa - Gomez - Jagr
Avery - Drury - Shanny
Prucha - Straka - Callahan
etc.
straka is not a 3rd line center. he belongs with jagr. he knows how to get jagr the puck, i know hossa played well with jagr last year but there is no way straka goes down to the 3rd line.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I dont think Sather is dumb to let him become an UFA. Id sign him 4 year deal at most 2.0 per year with bonus incentives.
Its not really in Averys best interest to sign a 4 year deal right now(unless he's over paid). To be fair he has improved every year and there is reason to believe that may continue.

2 year deal would be nice.

From a fans perspective Sean Avery is home. Its as if he should have always been a Ranger, although he obviously had some stuff to work through before arriving here. Amazing effect he had on the team and the fans. Pretty inspiring.

NY loves this guy and for good reason.

Wasnt drafted....no problem Ill just work harder

He hustles, he's fast and he speaks his mind. NY'rs appreciate those qualities

Off the ice he is a great interview and his girlfriend is smokin'. He adds a lot of personality to the team, and whatever his many critics have to say he has only been a positive force since joining the Rangers.

He deserves a raise and a secure place on this team as they prepare for the battle

07-18-2007, 11:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Neither Avery nor Straka should center the 3rd line. Avery is best suited to wing, so he can maximize his play as a nuisance to opponents. While Straka could be effective as the 3rd line center, it's probably not the best place for him either.
I agree with you man...

but I could see Renny putting

Callahan---Avery---Prucha

Thats a fiesty line.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:49 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

My personal hope is that he gets a 15 million/5 year deal. Although the 2 mill figure has been thrown around here, it's my opinion that 3/year would be the max fair compensation for Avery. More then that I'd hope to walk away.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
My personal hope is that he gets a 15 million/5 year deal. Although the 2 mill figure has been thrown around here, it's my opinion that 3/year would be the max fair compensation for Avery. More then that I'd hope to walk away.
yea i agree he is only 27 so by the time the contract ends he will be 32. I hope we sign him long term.

Old
07-19-2007, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Chris Clark at 3 years/$7.9 million

Look at his numbers and Avery's

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:08 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chris Clark at 3 years/$7.9 million

Look at his numbers and Avery's
Why the face? That's great news for us. Clark is a 20 & 30 goal scorer and he's not a RFA. That means Avery should get a lot less (say 3 year/6M). So much for someone saying he should get 3M a year.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Why the face? That's great news for us. Clark is a 20 & 30 goal scorer and he's not a RFA. That means Avery should get a lot less (say 3 year/6M). So much for someone saying he should get 3M a year.
Why the face?

39 points and 48 points the last two seasons for Avery.39 points and 54 points the last two seasons for Clark who would have been a group III next summer.Clark signed an extension which kicks in for 2008-09.If Avery signs a 1 year deal to avoid arbitration or receives the 1 year arb award,Avery will be a group III next summer

Clark's totals the last two seasons are inflated after playing on a line with Ovechkin.Avery hasn't played with Ovechkin the last couple of seasons

Avery is a better player than Clark who has inflated scoring totals due to Ovechkin

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why the face?

39 points and 48 points the last two seasons for Avery.39 points and 54 points the last two seasons for Clark who would have been a group III next summer.Clark signed an extension which kicks in for 2008-09.If Avery signs a 1 year deal to avoid arbitration or receives the 1 year arb award,Avery will be a group III next summer

Clark's totals the last two seasons are inflated after playing on a line with Ovechkin.Avery hasn't played with Ovechkin the last couple of seasons

Avery is a better player than Clark who has inflated scoring totals due to Ovechkin
Could that possibly be taken into consideration when Avery goes to arbitration Not saying it will be but wishful thinking

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:33 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

I'd like to hear others opinion on Avery's worth. Given that he's 27 and how salaries are rising a great deal I feel that 2.5/year is very reasonable over a period of 5 years or so.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote