HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen's Replacement

Old
07-18-2007, 08:12 AM
ogie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
anybody else feel that the fans are pushing for dubi whether he is ready or not?

i mean seriously, the kid is 20/21. whats with the impatience? or do people quickly forget the manny malhotras we have had because we have done just what the fans are asking for? another year in the ahl will do nothing but let him develop more.....just my 2 cents
no we havent forgotten the manny's nor have we forgotten the slue of high priced aged free agents the rangers signed in the past. I think the reason everyone is so high on the young guys is it is easier to swallow when you bring up a young guy and he is a bust compared to signing a big name and watching them die a slow death.

I personally would rather them give the job to a rookie then to go and sign another FA.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Fletch

nich...

I think many believe Dubinsky is currently ready, and thus they're not rushing him. Personally, for me, I think he needs to find a bit more consistency before he makes the jump, which does mean there's a good chance (I believe) he'll be ready to play this season in the NHL. There is a big difference between Dubi and Manny - Manny was 18 years old and very often sat on the bench in a struggle between Muckler and Smith.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:30 AM
mjdlight

Peca would be neither useful nor cheap, relative to his production. Dubinsky would probably be up here in December anyway, after the inevitable Peca injury.

(Yes, I am aware of the potentially humorous nature of the phrase "the inevitable Peca injury")

mjdlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:31 AM
CritZ

I would give a prospect spot and develop a strong line with Callahan.

CritZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:38 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CritZ View Post
I would give a prospect spot and develop a strong line with Callahan.
I would much prefer to give a prospect a chance, but really(?) is any of our prospect centers defintiely ready? not yet...just. i think Dubi could be a really, really good player - i like his blend of skills - but he'd be better served with atleast another 6 months in the minors and he's the closest prospect to beign ready.

If you look at the signings we've made, then Sather/Renney are thinking win now IMO... therefore i cant see them contradicting that with a prospect in a pretty important role... Checking lines have alot more importance than they used to... look at Pahlssons line in the finals against the Sens?

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:47 AM
mjdlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post

If you look at the signings we've made, then Sather/Renney are thinking win now IMO... therefore i cant see them contradicting that with a prospect in a pretty important role...
Thinking that win now means "Sign name brand players who are shells of their former selves" is what created the Rangers, 1998-2004.

You can integrate rookies into a lineup and win now.

mjdlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Matt Cullen's replacement (at least at the start of the season) is Sean Avery.

07-18-2007, 09:24 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Matt Cullen's replacement (at least at the start of the season) is Sean Avery.
No way; he is a good agitator and decent wing, but not a center I would like to go into season with. I think a promotion from within is instore for NYR. Otherwise it makes no sense to dump Cullen. We were not over cap, while we were close Slats could of fit Hossa and Avery in. Plus the walk away feature of arbitartion, should awards get out of hand, is always available. IMO opinion its either Dubi, Anisimov, and very unlikely Tom Pyatt. If it doesn't work, we have up to trade deadline to fix it, so there is no real compelling reason to bring in an expensive vet to start season.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Nich

honestly, i think dubi needs at least 1/2 a year in the ahl to become consistent.

really, who i think our 3rd line centers can be? Jarkko....i know i know renney hates him, but still.....or really, ani....he played versus men last year and picked it up in the playoffs.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 09:26 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdlight View Post
Thinking that win now means "Sign name brand players who are shells of their former selves" is what created the Rangers, 1998-2004.

You can integrate rookies into a lineup and win now.
Of course you can integrate rookies and win now... but those kind of rookies aren't that common... look at all the rookies/younger players the Pens had last year and got quickly dumped out of the playoffs by the Sens.

Staal, he has the talent level to be inserted and 'win now', but how many of those types of rookies have we got? i dont think Dubinsky can be considered an impact rookie. He's the type of player that needs some seasoning. even a real elite talent like Jason Spezza needed seasoning and Dubinsky isnt at Spezza's level.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:03 AM
NoCurse94

Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
all i want is for dubi to compete for the 3rd line center job in camp...let's see how he looks...jarko is a fine stopgap until the trade deadline when someone might become available...if all else fails avery can become the center, although thats something i would rather avoid.

i just dont want another veteran brought in and handed the job....

NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:08 AM
CritZ

I was thinking maybe, indeed, as some said, Immonen. I think he had a good development in Hartford and is ready to make the roster.

CritZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Rodents idea is Trevor Linden.

Intriguing. But hes old and on the decline as well.

He would be the only one on the team from the cup finals in 94 though. lol.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritZ View Post
I was thinking maybe, indeed, as some said, Immonen. I think he had a good development in Hartford and is ready to make the roster.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=396728

He'll probably head to Finland.

Old
07-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Stormer

I think it is fairly simple to say the 3rd line center is not with the Organiztion at this point but will be by camp. None of the kids are ready yet.....no consistency.

Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=396728

He'll probably head to Finland.
unless he gets a shot at the nhl...which this move creates.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:57 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i checked the NHLPA and both Josef Vasicek and Alyn McCauley are unsigned. McCauley was a Selke nominee the year before the lockout but he missed 72 games last season with knee injuries so they are probably better options (by far! just throwing the name out there). Vasicek is an intriguing pivot. He's more of a 3rd line center than a shut down center however, but we've got Drury for that I guess.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
unless he gets a shot at the nhl...which this move creates.....
Who knows, they might have Straka center Jagr, thus making Drury the thrid line center.

Who the hell knows. Having a 7 million dollar 3rd line center makes all the sense in the world doesnt it?

Old
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
While Mike Peca is the early leader in the rumor department, there are other available centers who could fill the Rangers 3rd line role, if Sather is interested in signing a veteran to a low $, 1 year contract. Any thoughts on Eric Lindros, Jason Allison, Josef Vasicek, Denis Arkhipov, Patrik Stefan, Arron Asham, Travis Green, Jan Bulis? Vasicek is an interesting possibility. He was a very good defensive center for the Canes before he ran into injury issues.

None of the above. Give Dubinsky a shot. Add someone else if our own talent fails.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Fletch

I'll be surprised...

if Drury isn't playing 18+ minutes per game - that's what he's been averaging for a few season, and typically you don't sign a guy to around $7MM per season and take away some of those minutes (which I think could happen if he's on a 'third' line).

We'll see in camp - I think Renney wasn't ecstatic about his Straka-at-center experiment and seemed a bit more content (although he didn't have options) with Avery at center. I do have a hard time thinking that Gomez or Drury doesn't center Jagr and Shanny (on separate lines).

Brooks brought up the point about Betts playing third line center - which I can see happening, but would mean either Hossa isn't signed, or one of he, Callahan or Prucha are on a fourth line, which is worse than Betts on a second line.

I assume we'll know more in 6-7 weeks, which of course coincides with the end of Summer.

Old
07-18-2007, 02:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
None of the above. Give Dubinsky a shot. Add someone else if our own talent fails.
Well i think with Peca if you CAN get him cheap (will be tough with Meehan being his agent)
he fills a hole as a Pker, faceoff man, defensive center who can go up against the Crosby's 8 times next year.

You kinda get best of the both worlds though. If Peca does well and stays healthy then youve made a great signing. If he gets injured and is in and out of the lineup like most people are afraid of, then you pop in Dubi or Anisimov. They'll probably get there time and be able to develop in the NHL anyway. If not you'll have them the following year because you would only sign Peca to a one year deal.

Seems like Peca's the right choice... If ANY in the market right now maybe with the exception of Linden - which is why the Rangers have been noted as "interested" in his services.

Old
07-18-2007, 02:31 PM
mucker*

Sather is a moron for his moves.
The team chemistry is all messed up just as it meshed with three new centers.
If he keeps Avery at center he has severly downgraded as he is a winger, and if there is an injury the Rangers have no depth to fill.

Peca is washed up and always injured, Lindros, are you NUTS?
Why did Sather have to create more of a headache, Cullen's deal was not cap unfriendly when it is going to keep rising, he was a PK killer, played point on the PP, won faceoffs, and had secondary scoring ability, plus chemistry and health, a fabulous third line center.

Nobody will replace him, Sather if he wanted to save cap room should have signed Nylander, this way the team kept chemistry, this guy never stops.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewinder View Post
Sather is a moron for his moves.
The team chemistry is all messed up just as it meshed with three new centers.
If he keeps Avery at center he has severly downgraded as he is a winger, and if there is an injury the Rangers have no depth to fill.

Peca is washed up and always injured, Lindros, are you NUTS?
Why did Sather have to create more of a headache, Cullen's deal was not cap unfriendly when it is going to keep rising, he was a PK killer, played point on the PP, won faceoffs, and had secondary scoring ability, plus chemistry and health, a fabulous third line center.

Nobody will replace him, Sather if he wanted to save cap room should have signed Nylander, this way the team kept chemistry, this guy never stops.

Why would he have signed Nylander up to his 40's for that kind of money? Is it assinine for you to rip Glen Sather while the roster is still being tinkered. You like to think you do, but you nor anyone of us have any idea what his plan is.

It might be a great idea to wait until the season starts to truly see what the roster is before you take the easy road and bash a GM that has rebuilt our entire farm system and given us a loaded NHL team in the process. All the while giving up barely any propects or picks for it.

So if you want to cry about upgrading a center position that we were very thin at and very OLD at then go to the Rodent's site and cry with him until the season starts. How do you know the team chemistry has been ruined? These guys haven't even eaten a meal together, forget playing hockey. The chemistry could be better than last year for all you know. Listening to Cullen's quotes, he didn't exactly love it here anyway.

You are ripping Sather over tading a 3rd line player, not the next mario Lemiuex. There's not a person on this board that wouldn't have traded Nylander and Cullen for Gomez and Drury straight up. Nylander leaving was nobody's fault but Nylanders.

People need to chill out and let the plan unfold.

Last edited by blue2noise: 07-18-2007 at 03:23 PM.
blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Fletch

double...

I think it's too early to say he's screwed up the chemistry. The team was 7 seconds away from beating Buffalo with Avery at the second line center position; I think that Gomez + Drury + Avery down the gut is better than Nylander + Avery + Cullen down the middle. So I don't think that Avery would be 'wasting', rather he would be an option if, say, Dubinsky is not ready.

Old
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Why would he have signed Nylander up to 40's for that kind of money? is it assinine for you to rip Glen Sather while the roster is still being tinkered. You like to think you do, but you nor anyone of us have any idea what his plan is.

It might be a great idea to wait until the season starts to truly see what the roster is before you take the easy road and bash a GM that has rebuilt our entire farm system and given us a loaded NHL team in the process. All the while giving up barely any propects or picks for it.

So if you want to cry about upgrading a center position that we were very thin at and very OLD at then go to the Rodent's site and cry with him until the season starts. How do you know the team chemistry has been ruined? These guys haven't even eaten a meal together, forget playing hockey. The chemistry could be better than last year for all you know. Listening to Cullen's quotes, he didn't exactly love it here anyway.

You are ripping Sather over tading a 3rd line player, not the next mario Lemiuex. There's not a person on this board that wouldn't have traded Nylander and Culler for Gomez and Drury straight up. Nylander leaving was obody's fault but Nylanders.

People need to chill out and let the plan unfold.
Yeah i was a little shaken about the loss of Cullen at first, and the potential washing away of "chemistry" but you hit on a lot of points.

And the big sticking point here is theyve only lost Nylander, Orts, Cullen, Rachunek and Weekes. and got Drury, Gomez and Hutchinson (who knows if he'll even play) in return. Thats not ruining chemistry. Thats upgrading a team. Orts Rachunek and Weekes didnt even play half the year.

You still have the other 20 or so guys back.