HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Who's got a basement hockey set up?

Old
07-17-2007, 03:33 PM
AZCOYOT

vCash: 500
Who's got a basement hockey set up?

I do, it's great. Regulation sized net. I use it just to work on my shot release and some one-timer timing. I've got one of those balls that are the weight of a puck and work on stick handling, I've got foam targets as well for some accuracy. I want to get one of those goalie tarps eventually.

I'll try to post a pic later on. It's good to have if you want to blast some music, work up a little bit of a sweat and fire off a few (In my case, tennis balls)

AZCOYOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

That's great. I wish I had the room. I just fire Ice pucls off of ply-wood at an old car tarp on the side of my house.

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:17 PM
ShowmeHawks

I don't have a set up in my basement, but I did prematurely end the life of the wooden garage door of my mother's house.

My cousins have a much better set up, with a regulation size net w/a shooter tooter, and about 100 z-balls. I spend hours downstairs whey they have family parties at their house.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

My home in Colorado we had a deep basement and it was HUGE.. we had a 7 room home so imagine how big the base was. We had a net and a place where I could skate (roller blades)... very fun

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:21 PM
rodmunch

Man I wish I had a room like that...

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Nah, if I wanted to practice off the ice, I had to go to a basketball court with my roller blades and play there, which was ghetto as hell.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:53 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

wish i had the room

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
wish i had the room
When I was 14-16 I used to live in a place that had the room down there. just completely undeveloped and smooth painted contrete floors. We had aluminum nets and used to play down there for hours. We usually played the 100 shots game where one guy would put on goalie equipment and try to save as many of the 100 shots we threw at him.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

I have a regulation sized net in my basement. I also practice my stickhandling on one of the support beams (silly, yes)

I also have a sheet of Sport Court that I use for practicing point shots. I used to be able to do without the court, but that was before we installed a rug.

Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:19 PM
go_leafs_go02

i used to have one in my basement. sure the rink was small..it was in the laundry room on tiles. rink size, oh about 20 feet wide by 50 feet, with some odd crannies such as the washer and furance in some spots. But hey. I was 13. Used to have 6-8 kids packed in there playing hockey. Also used to just skate around in circles on rollerblades and fire tennis balls at my road hockey net. (had an outline of a net taped on the other side)

Rigged it up to a sound system to crank the tunes. Had one of them scoreboard lights rigged up at centre ice just for the heck of it. Lines and all that were done in painters tape..so really I had only blue and green, but whatever. Did advertisements in block letters using the same tape.

Also had banners denoting random moments in that room, and also hanging from the rafters along one end, a 35-40 feet length sign of every NHL team in alphebetical order.

It's still there, sorta...well the lines, banners (some are left hanging..it was made out of printer paper and connected to the roof with scotch tape), and the team logos are there.

Wish I had gotten a picture of it when it was in prime shape. Good memories for sure in there.

Had a name for it too. KHRC (My last name (the K) Hockey Recreational Centre) haha..hey i was 13-14. Was a hit with my friends.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
AZCOYOT

Some pics and a vid of my skillz. lol

Only had two balls.. Lost the others in the insulation somewhere, so I put up that sheet.

2 For 2!

AZCOYOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:25 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
I have table hockey. Does that count? :X

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:26 PM
The Kingslayer

One of the reasons my parents bought this house was because the basement was undone. Moving me far away from my friends and hockey they wanted to make me happy....and it worked. Been practicing just about everything down there since I was 14. If your gonna practice stickhandling it is best to use a tennis ball. I got 2 nets and plenty of room to have 3 on 3 play.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:11 PM
MDugas82

Basement Shooting Practice!

Let me know what you think. My Wife's Xmas gift to me! She came shopping at Home Depot and I got to build it! I know the boards are a little high, but for taking a corner of an unfinished basement and turning it into this for under 500 bucks not bad! (Go Pens) (put my old hockey jersey's up around the top, still have to pick up my Badger Bob "It's a great day for Hockey" Vinyl. But that is it!

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basement hockey.jpg‎ (503.6 KB, 153 views)

MDugas82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
ponder

My dream basement would have a room like this one:

I assume the floor is that fake ice stuff, not great for skating on but plenty good enough for lacing up the skates to really simulate an on ice situation for shooting practice. I'd also want a small workout room. One day, when I'm finally out of grad school and hopefully making some decent money

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
stierzy16

My own Hockey Heaven

I've been working on this for a few weeks after school, I'm almost finished just need to put up a little more paint and new netting but then I think i finished hockey heaven! haha i'll post up another video when I get it done, but as it is its pretty siiick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInjeQIrlwU

stierzy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:45 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stierzy16 View Post
I've been working on this for a few weeks after school, I'm almost finished just need to put up a little more paint and new netting but then I think i finished hockey heaven! haha i'll post up another video when I get it done, but as it is its pretty siiick!

That is too fun!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
We don't have a net but we shoot into an old bookshelf.

We put a mattress up in order to catch the rebounds, since the other side has a flat screen tv

Me and my brother literally spend hours down there, and I can say that it has actually helped us both get better.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:18 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by stierzy16 View Post

Very nice job

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:03 AM
pelts35.com

Most likely next fall I am going to put synthetic ice in my basement. To be honest I'd rather spend the money on that instead of making "fake" boards and painting the floor.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
AIREAYE

I used to, the basement was furnished and I made a shooting pad out of wood. Problem was that even with a layer of cardboard and mattress lining covering the wall, there still was multiple huge holes in the drywall...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:31 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have a regulation net with one of those goalie tarps on it. My basement is finished but not to my liking so my set up will stay in place until I redo the basement. I have destroyed the drywall behind the net b/c I am going to replace it.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I did during a younger point of life.

Shot a puck through the coal stove's door window. Dad was not happy and I didn't see allowance for over a month.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:50 PM
jwitz04

my setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basement hockey.jpg‎ (146.5 KB, 86 views)

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Tikkanen10fan

Used to have a set up in my parents basement..put tape on the carpet for the goal line and had either a 50 or 54" net ..wasn't knee hockey.the shooter ran around .first we used fisher price orange and yellow golf clubs and then got junior sticks cut a bit to prevent slashing the ceiling light bulb upon celebration set up "boards" around the openings in the room like folding tables and any other wood i could find...and kept stats. The one minute shot clock was the Perfection game. When the pieces flew up your time was up.

now i have my own basement..trying to figure out what size net
60x48 or 54x44...i guess if you play goalie mostly on your knees with shin guards and a baseball glove..48" is too high? I've been testing it..but I still don't know...I still have the same ball a 3 inch mcdonalds ball pit ball. The shooter could go top shelf alot if it's too big...

Tikkanen10fan is offline   Reply With Quote