HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is there room for Staal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
  #1
Sticky*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Is there room for Staal?

It doesnt look like they is much room for him on the big team. I think he should be there though. Thoughts?

Sticky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:35 PM
  #2
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
It doesnt look like they is much room for him on the big team. I think he should be there though. Thoughts?
The top 5 is Roszy, Malik, Tyutin, Girardi and Mara..The 6th spot is wide open for Staal as he competes against Hutchinson, Pock and Strudwick...If he's as good as they say he is, he should have no problem winningthat spot....But, if he has a bad camp, he'll probably start with major minutes in Hartfort..Basically, it's all up to Staal IMO..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:36 PM
  #3
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
It doesnt look like they is much room for him on the big team. I think he should be there though. Thoughts?
if staal makes this team, then its a guarantee that strudwick and hutchinson dont.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
  #4
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
if he makes the team, i guess. then we have to make room for him he's supose to be really, really good. If he's even 1/4 of how good leetch was i'll take him

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
  #5
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
When Staal makes this team,its a guarantee that strudwick and hutchinson dont.

Fixed ....

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:41 PM
  #6
cmdevisser
Registered User
 
cmdevisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Fixed ....
Renny and Slather....we get good young players to keep them away from everyone else.

Why play rookies when you can play under producing vets!

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
  #7
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
there are no guarantees that staal is making this team.

i for one think he can, and will, but its no guarantee, and starting the year off in hartford wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for this kid.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:50 PM
  #8
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
there are no guarantees that staal is making this team.

i for one think he can, and will, but its no guarantee, and starting the year off in hartford wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for this kid.
Some time Hartford will do him well.The pack & the Rangers play the same style so he can learn & be ready when the time is right.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:54 PM
  #9
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Some time Hartford will do him well.The pack & the Rangers play the same style so he can learn & be ready when the time is right.
i agree with that. OH YAH! he's 20 now, so he can play in hartford!

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:56 PM
  #10
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Pock and Strudwick...

were kept, I believe, for Staal to be able to compete. The fallback is a platoon of those to guys, or add Hutchinson in somehow. So it looks like there's room for Staal to compete; or Baranka, who may be a bit more advanced at this point. Personally, I'm anxious to see Corey Potter play. Thought he did real well in Hartford and stood out as a steady defenseman who can move the puck well and skate well. I think his frame is a bit slender, so that's something to look at also.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:01 PM
  #11
Bretzky*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
there are no guarantees that staal is making this team.

i for one think he can, and will, but its no guarantee, and starting the year off in hartford wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for this kid.
No, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it certainly wouldn't be the smartest move either.

Staal is ready for the NHL. Any adjustment period he might need should be given to him right now, rather than watching Pock, Hutchinson, or Strudwick do what we already know they can and can't do. It's not a case of "rushing" him anymore. He needs to get NHL experience sooner or later, and putting him in the AHL really is not going to help him take the next step. This isn't Jamie Lundmark or Manny Malhotra we're talking about. His younger brother already made the NHL full-time last season and set a record for SHG. These Staals are special. Yes, Marc is a defenseman and defense is more of a transition coming into the NHL from another non-pro league, but every account has said he's ready and I'm very confident that he'll prove he's ready in training camp and throughout the season. This is the kind of defenseman we've been waiting a long time for.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:07 PM
  #12
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
No, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it certainly wouldn't be the smartest move either.

Staal is ready for the NHL. Any adjustment period he might need should be given to him right now, rather than watching Pock, Hutchinson, or Strudwick do what we already know they can and can't do. It's not a case of "rushing" him anymore. He needs to get NHL experience sooner or later, and putting him in the AHL really is not going to help him take the next step. This isn't Jamie Lundmark or Manny Malhotra we're talking about. His younger brother already made the NHL full-time last season and set a record for SHG. These Staals are special. Yes, Marc is a defenseman and defense is more of a transition coming into the NHL from another non-pro league, but every account has said he's ready and I'm very confident that he'll prove he's ready in training camp and throughout the season. This is the kind of defenseman we've been waiting a long time for.
i totally disagree with this. did you see him in the preseason last year? where everybody and his grandmother said he was ready? he looked wholly out of place. easily the worst guy on the ice defensively. of course he was what...18..19 then? not totally surprising. also when he played with the pack, i read he was out of place there as well.

granted he played his tail off at the end of last season, but the jump from juniors to the NHL is a bit like going from flying a dinky Cessna to a 747-400

WHOLE new ballgame. i dont want to put pressure on him. in fact id say the smarter thing to do, regardless if he is ready or not, is to start him in the AHL. let him get used to the pace in hartford, let the big club sort out their issues, THEN bring him up in a slightly lower pressure atmosphere.

If staal screws up opening night against the panthers at home, you and i both know the MSG crowd is far from forgiving, ESPECIALLY when the guy is as huge as staal is.

the more i think about it, the more i want him starting in hfd for the first 5-10 games. though, that also means we have a coach willing to bring him up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:09 PM
  #13
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,439
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Just seeing names like Malik, Strudwick and Hutchinson on the roster kind of pisses me off.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:27 PM
  #14
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,669
vCash: 500
Awards:
We thought Staal was ready last year, and as Inferno mentioned, he was totally overmatched in preseason games. I think he's ready, but you never know. If it looks like he could use some seasoning in the AHL then that's what we ought to do. If he looks ready for the big club, let him be our sixth defenseman.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:34 PM
  #15
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 500
Why can't this team ever be ok with letting kids make a mistake on the ice? If he's going to screw up I'd like it to be early in the season. I mean if this kid is as good as he's supposed to be (from the recent reports) how much worse could he be than Jason Strudwick?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:36 PM
  #16
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,669
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Why can't this team ever be ok with letting kids make a mistake on the ice? If he's going to screw up I'd like it to be early in the season. I mean if this kid is as good as he's supposed to be (from the recent reports) how much worse could he be than Jason Strudwick?
I doubt he's worse than Struds, but Strudwick (hopefully) isn't starting for us. Put our best players out there- if Staal proves to be top six, then let him play and make mistakes. If he's making so many mistakes that someone below him on the chart would be a better option, then he ought to go to Hartford. We have a chance to be very good this year and hopefully Staal can be a part of it; but if the kid aint ready, he aint ready.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:39 PM
  #17
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
I think there's a spot for him if he earns it. Regardless, we have 1 or 2 too many defenseman. I have a feeling that Hutchinson is going to hit waivers in an attempt to get him into Hartford... even with the risk (or hope) of losing him. We don't know if he was put in the deal by us or Carolina, maybe they were dumping a roster guy as well? If we really, really wanted him, then you have to think that there are plans to rid the team of Pock or Strudwick. You can't have 3 #7 defensemen hanging around. Probably the most expensive of all 3 will get waived.

I still think the game plan is to go into camp and see who the best 7 guys are. There won't be a problem moving a guy like Malik or Mara after camp or when injuries start piling up for whoever. Maybe it's us.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:59 PM
  #18
Vodka Drunkenski
Registered User
 
Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
I can't wait for training camp!

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:06 PM
  #19
bleedrngrblue
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fayetteville,N.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I think there's a spot for him if he earns it. Regardless, we have 1 or 2 too many defenseman. I have a feeling that Hutchinson is going to hit waivers in an attempt to get him into Hartford... even with the risk (or hope) of losing him. We don't know if he was put in the deal by us or Carolina, maybe they were dumping a roster guy as well? If we really, really wanted him, then you have to think that there are plans to rid the team of Pock or Strudwick. You can't have 3 #7 defensemen hanging around. Probably the most expensive of all 3 will get waived.

I still think the game plan is to go into camp and see who the best 7 guys are. There won't be a problem moving a guy like Malik or Mara after camp or when injuries start piling up for whoever. Maybe it's us.
I believe the most expensive of the three is Pock....they aren't going to waive him.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:36 PM
  #20
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
why would the Rangers send hutchinson or pock packing when strudwick would CLEARLY clear waivers?

as for Staal...I EXPECT him to have a good camp and make the team..There is room for him too...it's up to him to do it...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
  #21
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,773
vCash: 500
Awards:
If Staal shows he can play at the NHL level in camp, you find/create a spot for him.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
  #22
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
I can't wait for training camp!
I second the motion!!!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:43 PM
  #23
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
The top 5 is Roszy, Malik, Tyutin, Girardi and Mara..The 6th spot is wide open for Staal as he competes against Hutchinson, Pock and Strudwick...If he's as good as they say he is, he should have no problem winningthat spot....But, if he has a bad camp, he'll probably start with major minutes in Hartfort..Basically, it's all up to Staal IMO..
Mara makes a lot of money for a 3rd pair dman. I wouldn't be surprised if he is moved or even sent to Hartford to clear cap space. It is Staal's job to lose right now. I may sound crazy, but I think by November he will be the team's best Dman. Obviously, I am a fan and it is ok to think that. Not OK for Renney and Sather.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:26 AM
  #24
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,472
vCash: 500
Why wouldn't there be room for Staal?

He wowed the Rangers brass at the prospect camp last month.Sather and Renney were there everyday.The Rangers lamented their decision to send him back to Sudbury last season without playing in that 10 game window before a season ticks off the entry level contract

Before Maloney left,he said Staal was ready to play in the NHL

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:51 AM
  #25
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
No, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it certainly wouldn't be the smartest move either.

Staal is ready for the NHL. Any adjustment period he might need should be given to him right now, rather than watching Pock, Hutchinson, or Strudwick do what we already know they can and can't do. It's not a case of "rushing" him anymore. He needs to get NHL experience sooner or later, and putting him in the AHL really is not going to help him take the next step. This isn't Jamie Lundmark or Manny Malhotra we're talking about. His younger brother already made the NHL full-time last season and set a record for SHG. These Staals are special. Yes, Marc is a defenseman and defense is more of a transition coming into the NHL from another non-pro league, but every account has said he's ready and I'm very confident that he'll prove he's ready in training camp and throughout the season. This is the kind of defenseman we've been waiting a long time for.
what happens if it dosnt work if we put him in there right away? What if the pressure gets to him, and he turns out like blackburn? he needs to spend at least a couple of weeks in hartford.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.