vCash: 500
Er, for Portland?

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Hard to say. He's certainly had enough NHL experience to make the club out of camp, but obviously he's a spare part that will see fourth line duty, not unlike Mr. Parros.... just with a great deal more time in the show.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
davemess

He had a few years with my Pens and i always liked watching him compete.

A proper 4th line guy, works hard in the corners, hits and is a decent middle-weight fighter.

davemess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
kenabnrmal

Sounds like Thornton.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

LaCouture when he was on the Bruins was an extremly hard worker and a good team guy. Willing to stand up for his teammates is a decent fighter I remember he beat up Tie Domi pretty good. He can also help out on the PK if needed.

But still he is a borderline NHL player very good AHL player.

13Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Pepper

"You can never have too many fighters" (tm) Pepper

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
"You can never have too many fighters" (tm) Pepper
Teams might stop showing up to games against us.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Good signing. Hard working player.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

So Burke is still going full-speed ahead with his plan to acquire the most hated players in the league. I'm shocked he didn't sign Niemenen before he went to Europe and hasn't tried to coax Claude Lemieux out of retirement.

I know some of you already know this, but Danny has a little bit of a checkered legal past which has led to him being despised by most fans around the league. I suggest looking into it as well as the rumors of him being a cancer in the Pittsburgh locker room. Let's just say that teams might have to worry about more than just their lunch money now.

He's not Shawn Thornton as Shawn is a much better fighter but Dan is probably considered a better player. As a fan of fighters and fighting, I'm glad the Ducks picked him up because he provides more entertainment value as well as filling the terrible fighter void that has been left in SoCal by Tommy Kantthrowafist.

I never thought he'd see the NHL again and he still might not as he should be in Portland, but it's always nice to see a guy who fights get signed as I whole-heartedly agree with Pepper's trademarked "You can never have too many fighters" stance.

Before anyone gets upset that I brought up his past, you're looking at a guy that cheered on Joe Corvo so I'm all about second chances since, being a Kings fan, I'm obviously all about fortieth chances. I just find it amusing that this team now has Pronger,Bertuzzi and now LaCouture. It's fun being the bad guy and you've all been eating it up;this season should be even more fun as it looks like there will be even more opportunities to have 10 page threads on the main board about how the Ducks are the scourge of the league.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Tfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
So Burke is still going full-speed ahead with his plan to acquire the most hated players in the league. I'm shocked he didn't sign Niemenen before he went to Europe and hasn't tried to coax Claude Lemieux out of retirement.

I know some of you already know this, but Danny has a little bit of a checkered legal past which has led to him being despised by most fans around the league. I suggest looking into it as well as the rumors of him being a cancer in the Pittsburgh locker room. Let's just say that teams might have to worry about more than just their lunch money now.

He's not Shawn Thornton as Shawn is a much better fighter but Dan is probably considered a better player. As a fan of fighters and fighting, I'm glad the Ducks picked him up because he provides more entertainment value as well as filling the terrible fighter void that has been left in SoCal by Tommy Kantthrowafist.

I never thought he'd see the NHL again and he still might not as he should be in Portland, but it's always nice to see a guy who fights get signed as I whole-heartedly agree with Pepper's trademarked "You can never have too many fighters" stance.

Before anyone gets upset that I brought up his past, you're looking at a guy that cheered on Joe Corvo so I'm all about second chances since, being a Kings fan, I'm obviously all about fortieth chances. I just find it amusing that this team now has Pronger,Bertuzzi and now LaCouture. It's fun being the bad guy and you've all been eating it up;this season should be even more fun as it looks like there will be even more opportunities to have 10 page threads on the main board about how the Ducks are the scourge of the league.
I have little or no info on Dan's "checkered past" or being a "cancer" on the Penguins Any info would be appreciated.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:12 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusRobo View Post
I have little or no info on Dan's "checkered past" or being a "cancer" on the Penguins Any info would be appreciated.
Seconded, I'm all about second chances and I'm sure I'll be cheering when Bertuzzi scores for us but what exactly has he done or allegedly done?

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 09:37 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoSturm16 View Post
LaCouture when he was on the Bruins was an extremly hard worker and a good team guy. Willing to stand up for his teammates is a decent fighter I remember he beat up Tie Domi pretty good. He can also help out on the PK if needed.

But still he is a borderline NHL player very good AHL player.
yea as a Rangers fan, he was solid on the PK, works hard and sticks up for teammates, too bad he dont have enough skill but his effort, grit and since he uses his size, it makes up for it.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Sandmachine

Quote:

You might be right about Lacouture having been in trouble, but I don't remember. Could you be confusing him with Billy Tibbetts?

Sandmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Akingnomore07*

I like it. A good goon for the pirates

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

It's better to be feared than loved my friend

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Old Time Hockey

Quote:

Wow. If you're going to slander someone's name like that you should really get your facts right first. I've known LaCouture and his family for over a decade, since before he played college hockey at BU. He has never been in any legal trouble or had any off-ice issues of any kind. He's also never had any problems with teammates. Just the opposite, he's always been among the most popular players on every team he's played for, which isn't unusual for a guy who plays the role he has sticking up for teammates even though he isn't a particularly experienced or skilled fighter.

I'm not trying to attack you for what hopefully was an honest mistake, but you (and everyone) should really be careful when tossing around those kind of accusations. I think the poster that mentioned you confusing him with Tibbetts could be correct. Tibbetts fits the description of the kind of guy you protrayed, but LaCouture definitely does not.

He may not make the club in Anaheim, but it won't be any off-ice issues or legal problems holding him back. And if he does make the Ducks, you might be surprised. He's a very good skater for a guy that's been cast in the tough guy role and has proven an effective penalty killer in past NHL stints. Plus, you know he'll always be willing to stand up for a teammate (not that Anaheim has any shortage of that).

Old Time Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Vector

Considering that LaCouture played for the Bruins last year and BigKing was surprised that he would ever see the NHL again I'm going to assume that BigKing ment Tibbets. Tibbets won a chance to try out for an NHL team in some competition and his team was the Bruins. He went through training camp and did alright but was quickly shuffled out the door as soon as possible. Hence the confusion.

Edit: Sorry, LaCouture played with the Devils last year (for 6 games) and played with the Bruins in 2005-2006 for 55 games after signing midway through the season.

Last edited by Vector: 07-19-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:36 AM
droopytals

I've known Danny for years and he absolutely does not have any kind of checkered past and has always been a good lockeroom guy. He played in Pittsburgh with Tibbetts and was friendly with him as they grew up in the same area, but he has definately not had any of the legal or personal issues that Tibbetts has. Pittsburgh was actually reluctant to include him in the trade to the Rangers with Kovalev, so he definately wasn't a lockeroom cancer there.
Dannny has the potential to help an NHL team as he is an above average skater that can hit and fight (not heavyweights) but he hasn't made a real impact in the NHL to this point. He wasn't given much a chance last year in NJ so hopefully he can get it together and make something happen this year as his time is running out.

droopytals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Merlin401

He's a perfect Ducks type player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing 50 games with Anaheim this year. If the Ducks had gotten to him 5 or 6 years ago, maybe he'd have turned into Travis Moen. Burke is good at finding people that will be designated a 4th line/pressbox fighter on another team and turning them into a real hockey player.

As it is, Dans a good PKer, a hard-worker, a really fun player to watch. On the Rangers he would always start **** at the end of a blowout loss it was hilarious. I think he started 4 brawls in 03-04 alone.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
rjman48

I wonder what the reasons were for Burke not re-signing S. Thornton? Maybe Sal Cap-LaC is cheaper? Do many really believe LaCouture is a better 4th liner than Thornton? Saying he's a better fighter is a stretch. Dan was a Red Wing for a brief time with his 3 pre-season fights with Sugden, Erskine, and Hinote-the REVENGE for injuring Kronwall bout! He kind of reminds me of Brad Norton. Better fighter, very similiar potential with stats, and in and out of the AHL. LaC only had 3 AHL fights with Lowell-maybe a sign he's trying to work on his game. I hope he cracks the lineup.

rjman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:24 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmachine View Post
You might be right about Lacouture having been in trouble, but I don't remember. Could you be confusing him with Billy Tibbetts?
This is a prime example of why I shouldn't try to post while I'm at work, constantly maximizing/minimizing the screen so I don't get caught.

Yes, for some reason I confused him with Billy Tibbetts. Scratch the checkered past and legal trouble but keep the rest of the post.

Old Time Hockey: While I was pretty positive that I was right about LaCouture, I still withheld actually naming the charges that I thought were his but actually belonged to Tibbetts in case I was wrong. For all we know, Dan could have a checkered legal past in the form of parking/speeding tickets and, even if he doesn't have a "checkered legal past", I never slandered him since the comment was written so it would be libelous if anything but, having a journalism degree, I think I know when I've committed libel.

I lean very much to the Left, but I didn't know that this forum had so many members from the ACLU. I'm so tired of everyone throwing around the terms "slander" and "libel". It's nice to see that the Grammar Police have, for the most part, stopped their crusade to make 15 year-old hockey fans feel bad; I just don't know if this influx of slander and libel accusations is any better.

Going back to LaCouture...I hope he plays up on the big team this year and I think he just might after the inevitable Brad May injury. This would be great as Dan fights more than May at this point in their respective careers.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
http://www.milforddailynews.com/sports/x53163280
Quote:
Ironically, LaCouture had a chance to sign with Anaheim last year, as the Ducks pursued him early in the free agency period. Instead, with his wife about to give birth to the couple's first child, LaCouture decided to stay closer to home, narrowing his choices to Boston and New Jersey before eventually signing with the Devils.

"Anaheim was the first team that called me last year," said LaCouture. "They called me right on July 1 and wanted me then. If I had taken that (offer) then maybe I'd have a ring right now."
Interesting article. Good read!

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Selanne8

mabye like a parros player a fan fav for a heathy scartch but good sign for us

Selanne8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:56 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
yea as a Rangers fan, he was solid on the PK, works hard and sticks up for teammates, too bad he dont have enough skill but his effort, grit and since he uses his size, it makes up for it.
I agree with all that, he was a good 4th liner on the Rangers!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote