HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr sounding like a Captain

Old
07-18-2007, 12:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Jagr sounding like a Captain

On the Cap:

Quote:
“We are a team and every part is important,”

On Nylander:

Quote:
“From the long run perspective, it was the right decision because the additions are six, seven years younger than Nylander,” Jagr said. “The future of the organization will be built around them. Sometimes, one has to deal with things quickly. No one is irreplaceable. I don’t have time to cry about not having my centerman and I would only hurt myself [by doing so].”
On the signings:

Quote:
“What I learned throughout my career is that names don’t win it,” he said. “The relationship [between players] is important to have good chemistry. If it’s bad, you can hardly get anywhere. When players sign such big contracts, there will be pressure. At the same time, they put pressure on themselves because they don’t want to be criticized in the papers that they don’t deserve the money. That was the problem with the Rangers six years ago -- a bunch of stars didn’t translate into points.”
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Read more there.

I must admit the past two seasons Jagr has impressed me with his mouth more than i thought he would. Maybe he articulates himself better in Chech. But either way he's been saying the right things and i think hes "got it' now.

I still don't like the way he reacts to big losses but he's been more of a captain in my eyes than I would have thought going back to when he was appointed.

And of course his wit always shows up - asked about Nylanders contract fallout with Edmonton:

Quote:
“He probably wanted to become the best paid player, so he signed two contracts. Maybe he wanted to win the scoring title [by playing for two teams at the same time]. It would be a hassle, though -- he wouldn’t see those kids of his much.”

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-18-2007 at 12:55 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
blue2noise

I like what he is saying. i don't think we will have that kind of problem with Drury and Gomez. Both are team first type of guys.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:42 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
he is definitely showing improvement- i think last year was a rough year for him cuz he was the Captain of the New York Rangers which are huge shoes to fill especially since Messier made it such an important aspect in NY- i think Jagr knows his role alot more and will be a better captain and will help make this team alot better during the year.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
As far as chemistry goes, I don't see their being major problems with Gomez and Drury. Both are proven team guys, winners, and top level talent. Somehow I think things will work out fine..

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
McDonagh27

I have never seen a top level athlete of Jagr's caliber ressurect his career as well as he has in NY.. He has shun almost EVERY knock on him (bad attitude, poor leader) in just a matter of years.. I will have to admit, I have never really respected Jagr the man.. Up until now that is.

LETS GO RANGERS

McDonagh27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Alain Racette

Go Jagr. From a cry-baby primadonna to a capable and well-versed leader. My respect for him has gone up leaps and bounds!

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Good for Jags. Handling things damn well, being a good leader. I'm proud of him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Ola

hockeybased- +1

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:31 PM
The Thomas J.*

who knows maybe those few Months being around Messier really paid off, Jagr has said & done all the right things, I can't imagine anyone else being our Captain right now.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRBlaznBure9 View Post
As far as chemistry goes, I don't see their being major problems with Gomez and Drury. Both are proven team guys, winners, and top level talent. Somehow I think things will work out fine..
there could be a problem with chemistry if gomez is his center. totally different system than what gomez is used to playing. look at bobby holik when he came over. we don't need that to happen to a guy we signed for 7 years.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I like what he is saying. i don't think we will have that kind of problem with Drury and Gomez. Both are team first type of guys.
If both Drury and Gomez are team first...then they would never have left the Sabres and Devils respectively.

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
PJT

Send a message via AIM to PJT
Jagr = first european captain to win the stanley cup.

PJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
there could be a problem with chemistry if gomez is his center. totally different system than what gomez is used to playing. look at bobby holik when he came over. we don't need that to happen to a guy we signed for 7 years.
False.

There were periods during the year when alot of fans were seeing some similarities between the two teams play.

The Rangers strangled the Sabres for half the series in a very defensive fashion.

And, when the Rangers where playing well the forwards come back and there is an emphasis on defense.

While on the surface its easy to jump the gun and think Gomez might have trouble assimilating to the Rangers "style" i think Gomez should be just fine. He is a player who can adapt. Hes smart and has great vision and playmaking ability and that will work well on any team.

Holik was a totally different player. He hasnt been superb since he left the Devils which by the way was a vastly different team then than last season.

Now if you tell me he might have trouble playing with JAGR, I can see that .. two separate styles of individual play. But as far as the system goes and comparing him to Holik - thats not true.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-18-2007 at 02:47 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:49 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatch038 View Post
If both Drury and Gomez are team first...then they would never have left the Sabres and Devils respectively.
You might have a point about Gomez but with Drury, unless the smiley denotes a joke, you are way off.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:53 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Now if you tell me he might have trouble playing with JAGR, I can see that .. two separate styles of individual play. But as far as the system goes and comparing him to Holik - thats not true.
Correct, but I think it needs to be said that the obvious first choice for first line center is Gomez, but if he does not gel, Renney will probably try Drury with Jags and god forbid that does not work out, I think he then gets Straka, which we know will work out, maybe not as good as Nylander did, but that is the risk you take here. Chemistry is always a concern, but if our back is to the wall and he does not gel with Gomez OR Drury, we know we can always put Straka back in that spot and that is comforting.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT510 View Post
No one would expect that one.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Speedtrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
I have never seen a top level athlete of Jagr's caliber ressurect his career as well as he has in NY.. He has shun almost EVERY knock on him (bad attitude, poor leader) in just a matter of years.. I will have to admit, I have never really respected Jagr the man.. Up until now that is.

LETS GO RANGERS
I just had to say that is a really great point. It is almost hard to remember Jags had such a bad reputation before coming here, considering his success as a Ranger. I still wonder how things would have gone for him and the orginization, if we would have landed him, instead of Washington 5 or 6 years back?

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:15 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT510 View Post
there has never been a european capt to win? GO JAGS!

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

over the past two years i have seen a HUGE improvement in jags. I didnt see him play in pittsburgh at all but he has gained alot more of responsibility, expecially being the capt. of the world greatest team He went from pansy to perfect? that was so cheesy, but it is true. I think he learned alot from that game whern he didnt go in the shootout. I think he realized he has alot more responsibility as captain then he did in pattisburgh.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Jagr has sounded and acted like a captain even before he got the C...

If Jagr was from Western Canada and did and said exactly the same things in a Rangers uniform he would be respected a lot more...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatch038 View Post
After the mass exile you had to deal with, I can understand your bitterness.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
False.

There were periods during the year when alot of fans were seeing some similarities between the two teams play.

The Rangers strangled the Sabres for half the series in a very defensive fashion.

And, when the Rangers where playing well the forwards come back and there is an emphasis on defense.

While on the surface its easy to jump the gun and think Gomez might have trouble assimilating to the Rangers "style" i think Gomez should be just fine. He is a player who can adapt. Hes smart and has great vision and playmaking ability and that will work well on any team.

Holik was a totally different player. He hasnt been superb since he left the Devils
which by the way was a vastly different team then than last season.

now if you tell me he might have trouble playing with JAGR, I can see that .. two separate styles of individual play. But as far as the system goes and comparing him to Holik - thats not true.
gomez hasn't proved he can play in a different system. and there is no empahsis of defense on jagrs line. when was the last time anyone back checked? or anyone on jagrs line hustled back to the defensive zone? its different.

Old
07-18-2007, 09:07 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
gomez hasn't proved he can play in a different system. and there is no empahsis of defense on jagrs line. when was the last time anyone back checked? or anyone on jagrs line hustled back to the defensive zone? its different.
I hope everyone knows, not thinks that Marty Straka is a very good backchecker. For all the time he spends on Jagr's line, which comes with the stereotype that no one plays defense, he does a damn good job of at least being the 3rd man back in our end.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 09:16 PM
SPG

Wow, I'm impressed.

I expected to see some typical cliche quote when I saw the thread title and although there are hints of that, this is some standup stuff. Good to see.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 09:37 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
I hope everyone knows, not thinks that Marty Straka is a very good backchecker. For all the time he spends on Jagr's line, which comes with the stereotype that no one plays defense, he does a damn good job of at least being the 3rd man back in our end.
your right about straka. good point he does get back but playing defense has no part in that jagr line. i'm not saying they should just worry about scoring, i'm saying its just not there.