HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere Press Conference Thursday at 12pm

Old
07-13-2007, 11:16 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
he looks so much like a RW when he plays... their commitment to keep Potulny at center doesn't make much sense either.
Look at our center depth chart. Then it probably makes sense

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Look at our center depth chart. Then it probably makes sense
Briere - 8 years.
Carter - 8+ years.
Richards - 8+ years.
Umberger, apparently...

now, explain to me why you need Potulny playing center... unless you think he's a 4th liner (he's not).

we have two very young centers and a guy who just signed for 8 years. i don't care who is playing past that, that's the only depth chart i'm concerned with.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Briere - 8 years.
Carter - 8+ years.
Richards - 8+ years.
Umberger, apparently...

now, explain to me why you need Potulny playing center... unless you think he's a 4th liner (he's not).

we have two very young centers and a guy who just signed for 8 years. i don't care who is playing past that, that's the only depth chart i'm concerned with.
But beyond those 4 there is absolutely NOTHING in the system. It is NOT a given that Carter and Richards will be here for that long. The only given is Briere. You need to have depth, especially when the 4th guy you listed sucks at center, and i'd bet my bottom dollar that he won't make it through 2 more years here.

Potulny was drafted as a center, and we have WAY too many wings on the roster, and ready to make the roster soon, that it really doesn't make sense for us to put forth the effort to convert him to wing anyway. Especially when beyond the first 3 guys at center are: 1) a project in Matsumoto, 2) and a guy that needs seasoning in Cabana. There is too big of a gap there to justify moving Potulny to wing right now, especially when he won't even make the roster on the wing position.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
... Jeff Carter isn't a playmaker. he's a puck-hog. he gets the puck and goes... he gets the puck and shoots WIDE...
Fixed it....

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
he looks so much like a RW when he plays... their commitment to keep Potulny at center doesn't make much sense either.
Yeah...and now after today's scrimmage it appears as though they want to make JVR a centre. How the **** does that make any sense, especially combined with their desire to leave Potulny and Carter at centre?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Fixed it....
some people used to ***** the same way about Gagne... the problem is that Carter tries to be too fine with his hot. i have no problem with him taking it.

Old
07-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Yeah...and now after today's scrimmage it appears as though they want to make JVR a centre. How the **** does that make any sense, especially combined with their desire to leave Potulny and Carter at centre?
i don't think that's going to stick... he's going to play at least a year of wing in the NCAA... then they're going to turn him into a center in the AHL or NHL? the move from center to wing is doable... they're getting a bit ambitious trying to go the other way.

Old
07-14-2007, 03:51 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
i stopped paying attention right there... Jeff Carter isn't a playmaker. he's a puck-hog. he gets the puck and goes... he gets the puck and shoots... he doesn't get the puck and dish to teammates. putting Lupul on Carter's wing doesn't take advantage of Lupul's talents at all... it puts him on a line with a center who plays at 100 mph and doesn't play with his wings well. you also move Upshall, who had real chemistry with Carter... so i'm not sure what you're talking about with "keep Richards and Upshall together," as they weren't playing with each other much at all.

Lupul needs to be with a guy who is going to get him the puck to take his shot, and that's NOT Jeff Carter. Richards and Briere are your two options for that, but he doesn't work with Richards because Lupul isn't exactly defensively responsible. So that leaves you with him on Briere's wing... but that doesn't make anyone feel all that good.

This all returns back to the fact that Holmgren got the wrong 'main piece' back in the Pitkanen deal.

If there is any truth to these Frolov rumors that would be fantastic and make more sense because you could put him with Briere and Gagne and be comfortable.
Isnt Frolov a LW though? I dont think Gagne has ever played on the right side for more then a shift or so and I am looking forward to him being on the left with a right handed center. If Frolov can play RW, go for it.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Isnt Frolov a LW though? I dont think Gagne has ever played on the right side for more then a shift or so and I am looking forward to him being on the left with a right handed center. If Frolov can play RW, go for it.
i'm pretty sure you could make it work. i don't think that trade is happening in any event.

Old
07-15-2007, 10:29 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
It makes less then zero sense if that is possible. Briere is here for the rest of his life. Carter and Richards will most likely be here at least another 3-4 years, unless Carter just completely tanks. There is no room for a center on this roster other then the 4th line.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:30 PM
gallagt01

Enjoy Danny, guys.

Upsetting to know that he's gonna finish his career in Philly (for Sabres fans). I always expected him to do that with Buffalo. Gay management.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote