HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Bourret make the team this year?

Old
07-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Bretzky*

vCash: 500
Could Bourret make the team this year?

The scouting report on Bourret is that he's very physical and rarely has a shift in which he doesn't throw a big hit. Sounds like Hollweg right? Well guess what, Bourret can actually score.

From hockeysfuture.com: "Beyond his offensive ability, the most dominant aspect of Bourret’s game is his physical play. Rare is the shift that he does not throw a heavy body check. Built like a tank, Bourret hits to hurt – often – but he also does so cleanly. He is willing to get his nose dirty, and stick up for his teammates. He played regularly in all situations in juniors and proved to be a clutch scorer. Regardless of his short (if stocky) stature, Bourret’s lead-by-example style, his grit and natrual talent make him a high-potential prospect."

Prucha Gomez Jagr
Straka Drury Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Callahan
Hossa Betts Bourret

With the departure of Cullen, Dubinsky may be the easiest (and cheapest) solution for the 3rd line center. I'd actually prefer Avery on the 2nd line with Drury and Shanahan, but Straka probably won't be relegated to the 3rd line (if he's even taken off the Jagr line to give Prucha a shot in the first place).

If Bourret's ready to make the jump to the NHL, he makes Hollweg completely useless to this team, and a 4th line of Hossa Betts Bourret is a huge improvement offensively over last year's fourth line of Hollweg Betts and Orr / Ortmeyer. I don't know much about Bourret's defensive zone play. There would surely be a number of teams interested in Hollweg's energetic play. We could probably deal him for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

This is all just food for thought. I'm hoping to not get flamed, just looking for input from anyone who's seen Bourret play, and any feedback regarding our lineup options.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
It's possible, but I doubt it. He needs more time in the AHL, he had an up-and-down season. Unless he blows us all away, a spot on the Pack's top line seems likely.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:30 PM
broadwayblue

Bourret is still young and did start to turn it on a bit at the end of last season. I guess it's possible if he turns heads at camp. Then there's the age old argument about putting young players on the 4th line where they'll get limited ice time.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Nich

he does not come up to play on the 4th line as a 21 yearold....nothing stunts development like 5 minutes a night.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

There will be two forward spots opening up next season on the top 3 lines... With Straka & Shanny retiring....

He'll get his best shot next season... Leave him in the AHL for now to refine his game...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:45 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

No, he still needs to develop but he's looking good so far.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 07-18-2007 at 08:09 PM.
FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
There will be two forward spots opening up next season on the top 3 lines... With Straka & Shanny retiring....

He'll get his best shot next season... Leave him in the AHL for now to refine his game...
bingo.....and look for cherry or korpedo to grab the other one

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:17 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
If Bourret's ready to make the jump to the NHL, he makes Hollweg completely useless to this team, and a 4th line of Hossa Betts Bourret is a huge improvement offensively over last year's fourth line of Hollweg Betts and Orr / Ortmeyer. I don't know much about Bourret's defensive zone play.
the thing is that we need a 4th defensive line, and we don't need offense from the 4th line.. no reason to stunt his growth at a young age. we need him to be a top-6 scorer, and he'll get time in Hartford.. perfect place for him..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Last edited by FLYLine24: 07-18-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:33 PM
lundy

Zero chance he makes the team this year. He had a subpar year in the ahl before he came to Hartford. Plus I've heard a lot of questioning about his heart and drive. Let's see what he does in a full year in the ahl before we bring him up, most likely to play on the 4th line. Give him a year in the ahl, if he's great, he'll play on the second line in two years.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:37 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I still can't believe that we stole this kid from those morons who run Atlanta.

Wow.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Bourret could play a 4th line role, but as others have said, he has the potential to be a scorer. Playing 4th line minutes is a bad option for a young player that could be playing in all situations at a lower level.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Agreed...no need to rush him...and he needs alot of ice time to develop his game properly, he won't get that at the Garden...its best he play in Hartford for now.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 07-18-2007 at 08:10 PM.
bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:13 PM
casualobserver

Hi Lundy,Please no I heard,that is Hearsay.Does not stand up in court.Unless you
have seen him play every game in Hartford and can therefore produce your own
opinion,no other peoples opinion.The only opinion that counts is Shoenfelds.

casualobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
Hi Lundy,Please no I heard,that is Hearsay.Does not stand up in court.Unless you
have seen him play every game in Hartford and can therefore produce your own
opinion,no other peoples opinion.The only opinion that counts is Shoenfelds.
It's been a pretty general knock on him for a few years from now. Go ahead and give Schoenfeld a call if ya'd like. I lost his number. But then again, if what I said is hearsay, so is most everything else on this board chief. Apologies.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Slick Rick 61

let him play the year in Hartford where he will actually play. Playing young players with high offensive upside in a reduced role makes no sense. Let him play in the AHL in the role he should be, he'll gain the confidence

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:19 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
What about Byers over Hollweg.

Byers Betts Hossa or Moore would not be a bad 4th line.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:29 AM
eco's bones

I could see Bourret getting a call up or two for injuries etc. but I really think he'll spend the bulk of the year in Hartford.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:29 AM
TheRedressor

Top line in Hartford this year

Dawes-Dubinsky-Bourret

If by some miracle Dawes makes the team

Korpi-Dubinsky-Bourret

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:55 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
The scouting report on Bourret is that he's very physical and rarely has a shift in which he doesn't throw a big hit. Sounds like Hollweg right? Well guess what, Bourret can actually score.

From hockeysfuture.com: "Beyond his offensive ability, the most dominant aspect of Bourret’s game is his physical play. Rare is the shift that he does not throw a heavy body check. Built like a tank, Bourret hits to hurt – often – but he also does so cleanly. He is willing to get his nose dirty, and stick up for his teammates. He played regularly in all situations in juniors and proved to be a clutch scorer. Regardless of his short (if stocky) stature, Bourret’s lead-by-example style, his grit and natrual talent make him a high-potential prospect."

Prucha Gomez Jagr
Straka Drury Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Callahan
Hossa Betts Bourret

With the departure of Cullen, Dubinsky may be the easiest (and cheapest) solution for the 3rd line center. I'd actually prefer Avery on the 2nd line with Drury and Shanahan, but Straka probably won't be relegated to the 3rd line (if he's even taken off the Jagr line to give Prucha a shot in the first place).

If Bourret's ready to make the jump to the NHL, he makes Hollweg completely useless to this team, and a 4th line of Hossa Betts Bourret is a huge improvement offensively over last year's fourth line of Hollweg Betts and Orr / Ortmeyer. I don't know much about Bourret's defensive zone play. There would surely be a number of teams interested in Hollweg's energetic play. We could probably deal him for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

This is all just food for thought. I'm hoping to not get flamed, just looking for input from anyone who's seen Bourret play, and any feedback regarding our lineup options.
no no no. thats not going to work. Dont you remember the problems he had in LA? he needs to play with a vet. like shanny to keep him out of trouble. we dont want him killing anybody, or getting suspended, do we? we need him to win the cup and the only way that can happen is if he works with shanny. Why do you think they put them on the same line ALL SEASON?

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Blueblood 2

Actually I think he is the perfect youngster for fourth line duty and would easily replace Hollweg. Hanging with the real pros and learning the work ethic might be more important to his development than lots of minutes in Hartford. No pressure to score, just play the pro game and he will add scoring punch to the fourth line anyway. Big upgrade over Hollweg.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Wow.
Yeah. Not saying it will, but it has the potential to go down as one of the best trades the Rangers ever made.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:09 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Wow.
Wow is right. I can't believe the positives this kid is getting on this thread after another disappointing prospect camp.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Nice Thread

To be honest with you Bretzky-Stall i think your dead on here.

If he does indeed throw the body around, and he IS a very good skater - why not try him there instead of Hollweg?? Especially if Orr is in to do the fighting? He will be protected and might even put a few in the net. I think if ANY prospect is built for the 4th line (hits) and can put the puck in the net they should be put in for Hollweg. He doesnt offer that great intangible of a threat on the 4th line. I like this idea.

If i read BB's camp report and Bourrett is impressive at camp for even one day I am going to jump on this wagon and make hotdogs in the back for everyone. Who likes onions?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-19-2007 at 11:06 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
To be honest with you RangerBoy i think your dead on here.

If he does indeed throw the body around, and he IS a very good skater - why not try him there instead of Hollweg?? Especially if Orr is in to do the fighting? He will be protected and might even put a few in the net. I think if ANY prospect is built for the 4th line (hits) and can put the puck in the net they should be put in for Hollweg. He doesnt offer that great intangible of a threat on the 4th line. I like this idea.

If i read BB's camp report and Bourrett is impressive at camp for even one day I am going to jump on this wagon and make hotdogs in the back for everyone. Who likes onions?
I like the why not replace hiom with Hollweg ides, but there is one problem with it. Depending on how lines shake out, we are probably going to rotate Hollweg and Orr right now about 60/40 in Hollwegs favor since we need a good fighter to protect our newfound investments. If we put Bourrett in Hollwegs spot and get rid of Holloweg (which I don't really want to do, good personality guy) then Bourrett is only gonna play a little more than half the games anyway. I think we let him play as much as he can to hone his game and then bring him up when we have at least a 3rd line spot for him

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote