HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Josef Melichar

Old
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
BlueHavok

vCash: 500
Josef Melichar

Eklund's says we're interested in this guy---not starting an Eklunds a ****** thread, more like a, who is this guy, why has he flown under my radar and, should we want him thread. TSN has a halfway decent scouting report stating:

Assets lays a steady game behind the blueline and owns great size and mobility. Doesn't do anything flashy but is very reliable without the puck.

Flaws: Has very little offensive potential. Needs to better utilize his 6-2, 221-pound frame and prove his shoulder can hold up to the rigors of the NHL.

Career potential : Defensive defenseman.

And yes, i know we have to many D---just considering if any are moved.
( and hopefully NOT Mara, i think he'll make believers outta some fans when he starts conrtibuting offensively.)

BlueHavok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Eklund's says we're interested in this guy---not starting an Eklunds a ****** thread, more like a, who is this guy, why has he flown under my radar and, should we want him thread. TSN has a halfway decent scouting report stating:

Assets lays a steady game behind the blueline and owns great size and mobility. Doesn't do anything flashy but is very reliable without the puck.

Flaws: Has very little offensive potential. Needs to better utilize his 6-2, 221-pound frame and prove his shoulder can hold up to the rigors of the NHL.

Career potential : Defensive defenseman.

And yes, i know we have to many D---just considering if any are moved.
( and hopefully NOT Mara, i think he'll make believers outta some fans when he starts conrtibuting offensively.)
that alone is proof to this being bogus.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:26 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
that alone is proof to this being bogus.
Not to mention Melichar sucks

There is a reason every Pens fan wants him gone

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:49 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I would put him in the same boat as Rosival (when we first signed him). Not well known. He had played alright in Pittsburgh. The difference being Rosi having the higher offensive side, and Melichar more on the defensive side. That said while in the same boat they were NOT of the same calibre and obviously since coming to NY, Rosival has improved his game several fold so they are currently not on the same boat. I also don't think Melichar would achieve the same level of success as Rosival did. Furthermore, we have too many D already.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I would put him in the same boat as Rosival (when we first signed him). Not well known. He had played alright in Pittsburgh. The difference being Rosi having the higher offensive side, and Melichar more on the defensive side.
If that's a comparison between the two, it's a bit off.
Rozsival, in addition to being better offensively, is miles ahead of Melichar defensively.

He's a 3rd pairing guy. On an average D.
How many 3rd pairing guys do Rangers want?

Eklund's post on this makes no sense.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Bretzky*

No

Wrong

No

Never

No.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Why is it that Ranger fans have this urge to believe everything Eklund makes up and they also love to inquire and shop for other teams trash while forgetting and undervaluing their own young players. I swear, all this we should get Jovo, Melichar, Peca and that trash Roenick over letting Dubinsky, or Baranka, or Staal FINALLY make the team is really starting to get beyond annoying. There ought to be a law.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Pass. I know you didn't want to start it, but Eklund is a ****.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

His scouting report sounds alot like Michael Sauer.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Why is it that Ranger fans have this urge to believe everything Eklund makes up and they also love to inquire and shop for other teams trash while forgetting and undervaluing their own young players. I swear, all this we should get Jovo, Melichar, Peca and that trash Roenick over letting Dubinsky, or Baranka, or Staal FINALLY make the team is really starting to get beyond annoying. There ought to be a law.
It's not the belief, it's the boredom. It's the off-season and sometimes hockey fans are hard to come by....at least in my neck of the woods so for me, it's amusing to speculate. In this case, it's a player I was curious about because of him i know nothing about. And yes I agree that Ek's a bit of a ***** and anyone whose been a fan for over a season knows what to expect from him. I can't agree more about the Ranger-Kiddies cracking the line up, nothing would psych me up more than to see Dubi florish on 3rd line duty( maybe Immo) and the start of the Staal Supremecy.....
otherwise to quote S.N.L.----- SIMMA-DON-NOW !

BlueHavok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:23 PM
GLARES*

Quote:
He had played alright in Pittsburgh.
alright?

He was terrible!

GLARES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
99nogoal

one half of the terrible two-some

99nogoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:33 PM
GLARES*

He played terrible all season.

Do you even watch the Penguins?

Old
07-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
I would put him in the same boat as Rosival (when we first signed him). Not well known. He had played alright in Pittsburgh. The difference being Rosi having the higher offensive side, and Melichar more on the defensive side. That said while in the same boat they were NOT of the same calibre and obviously since coming to NY, Rosival has improved his game several fold so they are currently not on the same boat. I also don't think Melichar would achieve the same level of success as Rosival did. Furthermore, we have too many D already.
Roszival and Melichar were about equal in terms of effectiveness before Melichar got hurt. Roszival was always the more steady and defensively aware of the two but Melichar brought a bigger physical element. After Melichar's injury, the physical element disappeared completely (he seems like he's downright afraid to hit people now) and his questionable hockey sense became a crippling flaw. Roszival, meanwhile, had injury issues of his own but none that really took away from his game. So yeah, Roszival's a much better defenseman now but it wasn't necessarily always like that.

Aside from that, I don't care where Melichar goes, just get him the hell out of Pittsburgh.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.RUUTU37 View Post
He played terrible all season.

Do you even watch the Penguins?
Uh, it's pretty obvious the terrible twosome he referenced is Scuderi and Melichar. Please stop representing Pens fans poorly.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
GLARES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
Please stop representing Pens fans poorly.
How?

Every Pens fan agrees that Melichar is terrible.

Old
07-19-2007, 07:13 AM
NYR27

Why are people just aching to get rid of Mara here?

We got the guy at the end of a long season where everyone is breaking down which doesnt excuse, but might help explain some of the lazy PIM's (hand off the stick kinda things) but he still contributed nicely. As part of a 2nd or 3rd pairing I think he will be fine.

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:30 AM
wereback

Melichar is a Girardi clone...we already have a young def def with no offensive upside.

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR27 View Post
Why are people just aching to get rid of Mara here?

We got the guy at the end of a long season where everyone is breaking down which doesnt excuse, but might help explain some of the lazy PIM's (hand off the stick kinda things) but he still contributed nicely. As part of a 2nd or 3rd pairing I think he will be fine.
You're really the only one who mentioned getting rid of Mara. The OP said not to get rid of him.

Melichar sucks, though, and the Rangers have too many D as it is.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:15 AM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
Melichar is a Girardi clone...we already have a young def def with no offensive upside.
Thats an insult to Girardi

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
If Melicar is like Girardi than I want him in this organization.

I think you are giving Melicar too much credit and Girardi not enough.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:29 AM
The refs love me

Melichar isn't as bad as most Pens fans seem to think he is. He's a pretty steady defenseman and he really is fairly good in his own end. He is pretty much a 6-7 defenseman, and in Pittsburgh, he often needed to play higher than that due to injuries and our lack of defensemen over the last few years. Now that Shero has brought in some guys to fill those roles, the Pens no longer need Melichar and Scuderi and they chose to retain Scuderi.

Any team that picks him up will get a fairly reliable depth player, but nothing more than that.

The refs love me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:35 AM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
You're really the only one who mentioned getting rid of Mara. The OP said not to get rid of him.

Melichar sucks, though, and the Rangers have too many D as it is.
I didnt mean on this post, just I finally found someone who agrees with me that the guy is worth his keep. Just seems like a general consensus on here that people want either Malik (I could take him or leave him, but PT needs a drastic decrease if he stays) or Mara moved. I just don't see why these guys are automatically considered the odd men out. I would rather see Strud or this new kid moved before Mara all things being even.

My ideal pairs this season:

Rozy - Mara
Toots - Staal
Pock - Girardi

Malik

I know Staal is young, but it'd be nice to have him learn from Toots and that would make a SOLID 2nd Pair

Sanguinetti needs another year and then we can look at him baranka and Sauer to replace Mara and Malik. For a team with a supposedly weak-link D - we don't look too bad to me

Last edited by NYR27: 07-19-2007 at 08:43 AM.
NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Eklund needs to see the depth chart and the salary cap status of each team before he spouts off

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoobFan_12 View Post
Melichar isn't as bad as most Pens fans seem to think he is. He's a pretty steady defenseman and he really is fairly good in his own end. He is pretty much a 6-7 defenseman, and in Pittsburgh, he often needed to play higher than that due to injuries and our lack of defensemen over the last few years. Now that Shero has brought in some guys to fill those roles, the Pens no longer need Melichar and Scuderi and they chose to retain Scuderi.

Any team that picks him up will get a fairly reliable depth player, but nothing more than that.
he's a borderline #6 guy, but for any team with cup aspirations, he belongs nowhere near the top 7. i can't imagine a team ever winning a cup with melichar on their roster.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote