HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Paul Kariya - now a St.Louis Blue

Old
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
dont worry, Im sure Ortmeyer will pick up Kariya's slack.
I'm sure Radulov won't pick up any slack either :p

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:58 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
I can't wait to see Shea put Kariya on the shelf for the season after the first Blues game ... Kariya cuts to the center with the puck ... *BOOM* ... what a bone crunching hit by Weber ... and now I see why the Ducks fans hate his guys
That is so rude! All joking aside, you are hoping that Paul Kariya suffers a season-ending injury!

You may wanna increase your therapy treatments.

Oh! And, by the way, I wish nothing but success for Nashville and the Predators.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Paincakes

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:37 PM
PredDave

Mark my words, Kariya will suffer through groin injuries and concussions all season!

<< as I take the Voodoo doll out of my closet >>

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:14 PM
ChicagoBlues

You're silly.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 07-03-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old
07-02-2007, 10:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
This loss was frustrating to me for one reason and one reason only. It shows the current impotence of the organization that we could not sign someone we coveted.

That being said, on the ice, this is hardly a big a deal as some are making. In the most important 40-game stretch in Predator history (the last 35 games of last season), Kariya played some of the least inspired hockey of his career. He just didn't merit the contract that was given.

In his last 35 games (from Feb on), he scored 7 goals, had only 21 points, and was a -13. He was held scoreless in 16 of the 35 games! During that stretch, we went from 3 points up on Detroit to 3 points down. How do you justify giving a substantial payraise to your 'face of the franchise' when he plays like that?

You hate losing the guy who gave you legitimacy in the eyes of many. But I can't see how anyone could rationalize keeping him at that price tag with his play.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:19 AM
RollingPredFan

Agreed Smokey, I really think St Louis will regret paying so much for him. But he'll win them some games in the shootout for sure he was automatic in those.

By the way he said alot of good things about Nashville in this article before everyone crucifies him LOL

Kariya says uncertainty forced move

Nice quote here:

Quote:
Kariya said he loved everything about playing in Nashville from the people he met to the management and coaches he played under. He said he'll always recall scoring a goal in his first game here and beating one of his former teams, the Anaheim Ducks, with a shootout goal in his second game here.

"It's a really tough situation for the team there,'' Kariya said. "Hopefully the local ownership will come up and keep the team there because it is a great city.

"Just speaking for a guy that's played there, it would be a sad loss for the league not to have a team there.''

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:29 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Agreed Smokey, I really think St Louis will regret paying so much for him....
As a Blues fan, I disagree. In the post-lockout era players' salaries are a direct function of game attendance. The Blues are desperate to sell more tickets in order to have more money to sign better players. Solution: Kariya.

The Blues will probably wind up about 6M short of the cap. And over the next two seasons we will lose several veterans with relatively high salaries and they'll be replaced by entry-level contracted rookies and new boots. We will have so much cap room and flexibility in the next few seasons because of the Kariya signing.

Many Blues fans and other hockey fans are all up in arms about Kariya's salary, but I guarantee you the Blues organization will not regret this at all.

Old
07-03-2007, 08:59 AM
braindead

I think that is correct regarding the Blues.

As an aside, what kind of logic has Kariya move to a new team/ new city because of the uncertainty of having to move to a new city with the same old team? You still have to pack up all your **** in the offseason and unload it somewhere.

I kinda get it because you don't get to pick the new city but at the same time there is a better than even chance that you never move at all. I think the whole uncertainty thing is overplayed (or at least overthought).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:04 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
As a Blues fan, I disagree. In the post-lockout era players' salaries are a direct function of game attendance. The Blues are desperate to sell more tickets in order to have more money to sign better players. Solution: Kariya.

true. true.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
PredDave

Quote:
Your silly.
My silly what?

GRAMMAR 101: It should be "You're silly"

Anyhow, I wish Paul all the best as a person, but as a Blue I hope we shut him down 8 times per year...

Old
07-03-2007, 01:19 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
My silly what?

GRAMMAR 101: It should be "You're silly"

Anyhow, I wish Paul all the best as a person, but as a Blue I hope we shut him down 8 times per year...
DOH! Thank you for correcting my grammer(sic).

See ya'll next season, hopefully.

Old
07-03-2007, 01:30 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I would say that hopefully Mason knows Paul's tricks if it ever comes time for the shoot out, but that didnt necessarily help the likes of Jiggy.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
zOMG

Quote:
You may wanna increase your therapy treatments.
LOL

zOMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:07 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

As good a professional as PK is, he is not worth $6 M per season of cap space here. And I agree with Smokey's comments on PK last season when we needed him most. Poile had to let him walk if that is what he wanted.

On the other hand, WHY did we sign Nichol AND give him a raise??? What a bone-headed move for a guy whose antics may have cost us a playoff game? That one I don't get.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:58 PM
timmay143

Hmm...It kind of bothers me that people are hating PK as soon as he leaves the team to join another. I thought Paul has helped the Predators franchise tremedously. He brought a star face to an somewhat unknown team. I have been a fan of his for awhile since the Anaheim days. His qaulity of play definitely helped us win games at times. Yes, you can argue he didn't show up for the playoffs, the big game, etc. However, I feel you can't blame just one guy. I will remember his great shootout skills and hope they don't come back around and bite us in behind. It sucks he went to a division rival, but I feel playing better teams will make the Predators better. People have said that our division was/is weak which is why the Predators have done so well. I can't really hate the guy. I respect his game no matter what team for which he plays. I may curse him under my breath if he jukes us but in the long run will always like him. I'll miss you Paul. Good luck, except when you play us .

timmay143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay143 View Post
Hmm...It kind of bothers me that people are hating PK as soon as he leaves the team to join another. I thought Paul has helped the Predators franchise tremedously. He brought a star face to an somewhat unknown team. I have been a fan of his for awhile since the Anaheim days. His qaulity of play definitely helped us win games at times. Yes, you can argue he didn't show up for the playoffs, the big game, etc. However, I feel you can't blame just one guy. I will remember his great shootout skills and hope they don't come back around and bite us in behind. It sucks he went to a division rival, but I feel playing better teams will make the Predators better. People have said that our division was/is weak which is why the Predators have done so well. I can't really hate the guy. I respect his game no matter what team for which he plays. I may curse him under my breath if he jukes us but in the long run will always like him. I'll miss you Paul. Good luck, except when you play us .
I won't question PK's skill or what he sometimes brought to the table.

That said, I consider his time here, on the whole, somewhat disappointing, and as a player, I was simply never a fan. This has nothing to do with him leaving.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 09:46 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

That said, I consider his time here, on the whole, somewhat disappointing, and as a player, I was simply never a fan. This has nothing to do with him leaving.
On top of that, it's not as if he left for a few million a year. The guy left for $6 million a year! There aren't too many Predators who will ever be worth that, and the '05-'07 Paul Kariya absolutely wasn't from a Predators standpoint.

You hate to lose a player as talented as a Paul Kariya. But at $6 mil a year, you'd hate even more the thought of keeping him.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:38 PM
ekl2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay143 View Post
I fully agree with you. While he may or may not be worth 6 million dollars he is going to earn, he did a good job over the last two years for the paycheck he was receiving. Now that Radu is developing I don't think it was a bad decision for the management to let him walk, but I don't see why some people try to belittle his past contribution to the team (at least he played in all games, who else managed to do that ?).

ekl2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekl2006 View Post
I fully agree with you. While he may or may not be worth 6 million dollars he is going to earn, he did a good job over the last two years for the paycheck he was receiving. Now that Radu is developing I don't think it was a bad decision for the management to let him walk, but I don't see why some people try to belittle his past contribution to the team (at least he played in all games, who else managed to do that ?).
I could have sworn he sat out the Sharks series, this year..

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
PredDave

If Paul continues to play at the same level with St.Louis, they are paying him 2x more than he is worth. He should not earn more than $3 million per year for his efforts....

I really believe Paul is robbing the Blues at gunpoint!

Old
07-22-2007, 02:26 PM
timmay143

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

I can see your point and agree he was disappointing at times. If you were never a fan, I can see your nonchalant-ness towards him. I wasn't try to call you out! I just thought some were dogging on him a little too much to be a fan of his a few weeks\months ago. It's cool though, no beef, not trying to stir up the pot. I understand people's frustrations w/ him. I believe he was overpaid as well. It was just nice to have a "NHL face" on the team. Hope 21 can stay.

timmay143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 08:12 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
If Paul continues to play at the same level with St.Louis, they are paying him 2x more than he is worth. He should not earn more than $3 million per year for his efforts....

I really believe Paul is robbing the Blues at gunpoint!
PK wasn't the only player to be handed a contract that was over-market value; if Scott Hartnell can earn a contract for over 4.2 million, surely PK can get at least that. It seems as if the fans are being a bit harsh on PK. He did have a very glaring no-show during the playoffs and coming down the stretch run; however, PK was arguably the best player on a pretty darn good team the last couple of years. That's probably how the Blues see it. He was the only one to show up for the playoff series last season, hasn't missed a game in 2 years, played with the likes of Fiddler and Smithson without publicly compaining. He was, according to reports, one of the reasons Forsberg came to Nashville. PK was also the first NHL star to choose to come to Nashville as a free agent. I will always respect him for that. I will not wish ill will or injury to the guy. At least he signed with the Blues and not the Wings. Thanks Paul for 2 really exciting seasons here in Nashville.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote