HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two Ideas that could work

Old
07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Two Ideas that could work

I don't know how many people have been reading about the situation with Nashville, but they are below the league minimum as a team with their salaries. The league minimum is $34.3 million. GM Dave Polie is going to be and has been looking for a trade to just get them above that league minimum, they are at $31.254 million. Polie will have to take on some salary even if it is not a star player just to get over that amount. Here is our chance to dump Malik or Mara and their salaries. If this happens the Rangers would have around $5 million to spend from both the Cullen trade and what would be this trade. This leads to my second idea.

Some may like this idea, some may not. But their is a 2-way forward still out there who is much better than Peca. He may come for a good price considering his health. On top of this it would only be a one year deal. Adding $3 million to the $5 million we have to spend by demoting Kaspar leaves us with $8 million. I say look hard into Petr Forsberg and see if you can sign him to a one year deal at around $4 million. He's still a great player and plays the game the exact way you'd want Prucha and Callahan to develop into. He'd be a great mentor for those two. He has great passing ability and he'd get Prucha's game back on track.

Now if you can sign Forsberg, re-sign avery for near $2.5 million, hopefully its less which I think it might be a little less. Then sign Hossa for under $1 million. Anything more just let him walk. You have around $1 million left to spend, you can save it or you can somehow try and sign Danil Markov with it. If you cant we have a surplus of defensemen, and Hutchinson or Pock can just become the 6th defenseman which wouldnt be too terrible.

Also even if you cant get Forsberg, still try and cut the deal with Nashville to free up cap space. You could still get an even cheaper Peca for around $2 million and then you'd have the necessary space to sign Markov.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I had flashes of thinking Forsberg on the thrid line. But don't know how he would feel about taking that role. Hes not the best defensive guy but he sure could do the job and if he gets hurt (as with Peca) it gives room for the youngens to come up and get some time.

If Forsberg does play hes gonna cost, and i dont know if dumping Malik or Mara is gonna help things too much. Dont know if the return is going to be efficient enough unless you get Forsberg or Peca cheap and on a one-year trip.

But hypothetically Gomez-Drury-Forsberg-Betts would be a sick middle.

Not sure how you would handle the lines considering Forsbergs a true 1-line center. Yeah its great you would have him in case Gomez or Drury got injured but do you really want a 7million dollar 3rd line center if Renney mixes things up?

Dont think Forsberg is realistic unless he really wants a 3rd line job and willing to take a huge cut.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-19-2007 at 10:36 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Wishful thinking!

I like the idea, but don't see how it could become reality. Where would they get the extra $4million?

The powerplay would be insane...hell I think it will already be insane, but he would definately add to it.

If he was to come here though, it would IMO leave the Rangers with too many chiefs, not enough indians!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
trench23

I would be afraid that Renney would overuse fors on the first line, pk and pp just like he did with Shanny- at that age, and tendancy to get hurt, i would just stay away..

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Choice

I would love it but there just isnt enough playing time for Forsberg, Gomez and Drury. One of them would have to play wing.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:40 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
the injury factor is big with Forsberg and idk if i would want that- hes a great player but his foot problems make me hesitant to take him and at 4million???? thats alot of money

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:44 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

don't touch him....some things need to be left alone.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
ogie

i dunno forsberg health is a huge issue, plus there is this

"The Denver Post, quoting a Swedish paper, suggests Forsberg's troublesome ankle is feeling better after surgery, although he hasn't skated and may not for a few weeks."

So it looks like he won't be ready to play until december. So you pay him 4mil to miss three months then he will have to get use to the system for another month or so. 4 million is alot for half a season.

Sorry i think i'll pass on forsberg

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:59 AM
alkurtz

I can't believe that we are back to talking about another older, injury prone player. Can't we just forget all these guys who are guaranteed to miss significant time, who you are always holding your breathe about each time they get checked into the boards or take a spill, who are always causing the coaching staff to scramble to cover, etc, etc, etc. and just realize that loosing Cullen (a move that still rankles and upsets me) at the least opens up the opportunity for some of your younger players. Dubinsky will likely do a really nice job on the 3rd line where his energy and intensity and involved style of play will serve the team well.
JUST SAY NO TO FORSBERG (AND PECA AND ANY OTHER OLD CENTER). ITS EASY....JUST SAY NO!!!!

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
don't touch him....some things need to be left alone.

Why would anyone want to sign Peter Forsberg to play on our 3rd line? Some of you actually believe it's a "good idea" signing a 34 year old who has spent half his career on the IR to play on a line where he's expected to have a somewhat physical presence?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i am not sure where you peeps came up w/ 4 million, but let me put an idea out there...

forsberg has said he would only play for one of the three teams he already played for. but, he also wants to compete for a cup.

colorado should be a playoff team again, but i don't think they will threaten for a cup. and with the development of stastny they may want to pass on foppa and not try to relive the past.

nashville is a mess

philly is cap mess like the rangers. plus they will be putting together the pieces this year, while PHI will be much beter this year, they will not be a serious cup threat.

IF foppa was to come back to the NHL next year, say its around december, then i bet he would join a team geared for a cup run. he also was deadly with drury in colorado and the deadmarsh-forsberg-drury line was awesome. so imagine avery-forsberg-drury.... and if you think i am far fetched, i was the first on this ranger board to list the drury-shanny and avery line as possible when everyone was saying drury was a lock to go west.

back to the 4 million thing...forsberg does not need the money, and if the situation was right, and he liked the team and the management he would come in for a cheap one year deal.

i don't think forsberg to NY will happen, but i also think its possible because drury is here. and i don't think foppa would be looking for a payday.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
eco's bones

First off why would Poile do us a favor by trading us assets for Malik and/or Mara when he can just go out and sign Markov or Forsberg or any number of players and get up to the minimum anyway. Secondly I would have been receptive to getting Forsberg two years ago--and we did try to get him then--but with all that happened to him in the meantime I'm glad we didn't. He's too injury prone and he'll be too expensive. I'll say also I don't have a big problem going into training camp with the Ranger team we currently have signed + Avery and maybe Hossa. I don't have a problem with there being an opening for third line center that maybe a young player might be ready to fill. It's an important position but it's not absolutely critical that we have a 'known' player to fill it at this point in time. I know there are two potential salary dumps Malik and Mara and one in particular (Malik) is loathed by many people here but I don't really think our defense has to be tweaked at this point in time. Come February-March I don't expect the lineup we see in October will be completely the same. It never is. There will be deals, injuries, callups etc. Come next June some lucky team will win the cup--hopefully us. It's not going to be won on paper in the off season.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers don't need to trade malik or mara....they should keep them and see what happens in a rangers uniform...

no way should the rangers sign forsberg...didn't we learn from our past mistakes?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:53 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Yes he's injury proned and yes he's 34 years old. I think my starting price of $4million was definitely way too high and Forsberg will probably get lower than that which it makes it extremely reasonable to look into him.

Some of you are shooting it down completely which I dont like. Forsberg has a foot injury, I dont think that will take away from his physical game. Now even if he does get hurt, it might be halfway into the season, by then Dubinsky or Anisimov would have had half a season to develop even more in Hartford and could be ready to be called up to replace him. There are a lot of benefits to signing Forsberg. He still has great offensive skill, he does have a nasty side to him with his physical game, he would fill the 3rd line center hole, and he'd be a great mentor for Callahan and Prucha, and it would only be a one year deal--after this season he leaves and Dubinsky/Anisimov replace him.

Now in Forsberg's eyes:
(1)The rangers are looking like a serious cup contender
(2)He knows he has injury problems and taking a lesser role would make sense for his health because he'd have less ice time to put stress on that ankle.
(3)Adding him to the 3rd line with the likes of Prucha and Callahan would make that line look more like a 2nd line for a lot of teams in the NHL.
(4)Like someone said before Drury is here and they were former linemates I'm sure he wouldnt mind re-joining him for one more cup run
(5)Again he probably has just one more year left in him and the Rangers are looking like the team that is going to make he huge run this year.

I just dont think this out of the question to think Forsberg could be a possible replacement. You can say all you want about his health but thats a risk your willing to take IF he does take the paycut because you have younger players to replace him if something happens. Why risk it with Peca when you can with Forsberg?

As for Dave Polie, GM of Nashville, how does he know he can sign Markov or Forsberg? Why would those players want to sign with that franchise that right now is a big fat question mark, especially Forsberg who has one year left in his body. Markov has waited around this long not because no one wants him, because he is a good defenseman who punishes forward, but because he wants to sign with the right team and I just cant see Nashville being that team. So with Polie needing to fill cap space to get to the league minimum the best way to do it is via trade and the Rangers have guys to move.

Old
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The Rangers don't need to trade malik or mara....they should keep them and see what happens in a rangers uniform...

no way should the rangers sign forsberg...didn't we learn from our past mistakes?
Those past mistakes were signing old veteran players past their prime who couldnt play the game anymore, and were nothing more than prima-donnas. On top of this they were high risk signings with no farm system to back them up and no structure with the organization itself from the NHL club to the affiliates.

This situation would be the total oppostie.

IMO this is a low risk situation because I dont think it will cost much and you have a great farm system to back up any injury that may occur. Forsberg wouldnt be signed to be the number one center and if he got hurt we wouldnt be losing someone from a huge role on the team (AKA Lindros era). He may be past his prime but he can still play the game at a high level and he plays it hard. I just dont see this as a reflection of the rangers past mistakes

Old
07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i dunno forsberg health is a huge issue, plus there is this

"The Denver Post, quoting a Swedish paper, suggests Forsberg's troublesome ankle is feeling better after surgery, although he hasn't skated and may not for a few weeks."

So it looks like he won't be ready to play until december. So you pay him 4mil to miss three months then he will have to get use to the system for another month or so. 4 million is alot for half a season.

Sorry i think i'll pass on forsberg
Since I've actually read the original article
(it's here btw)
I've gotta say that NA reporting on him has been a bit odd, and off the mark.

He had some laparoscopic (or pinhole) surgery some weeks ago, most likely to remove some artifacts from the big rebuild last summer. He was back at the hospital some days ago and they confirmed that his rehab and healing back to full recovery was on schedule.

According to himself his foot feels fine walking, running, (golfing) and general practice but he hasn't been able to test it on ice since it's still swollen from the surgery.

On the other hand, most other players hasn't had their skates on yet either since leaving the ice after season/playoffs.

It'll be a couple of weeks before he can hit the ice and test his foot at full power, and he has stated that he will not announce any decision, or even really ponder any options, until he knows how his foot is.

Being able to play in september is still possible, so is december, or january, or not at all.

What he has said, and I believe him because it makes sense, is that he will not under any circumstances repeat last year's experience.

He will give his foot, and eventual other parts of his body, what ever time it needs to heal. He will not rush it, he will not sign any contract until he knows that his body is up for it.

Which may be this august, september, december, january, next summer or never at all.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Those past mistakes were signing old veteran players past their prime who couldnt play the game anymore, and were nothing more than prima-donnas. On top of this they were high risk signings with no farm system to back them up and no structure with the organization itself from the NHL club to the affiliates.

IMO this is a low risk situation because I dont think it will cost much and you have a great farm system to back up any injury that may occur. Forsberg wouldnt be signed to be the number one center and if he got hurt we wouldnt be losing someone from a huge role on the team (AKA Lindros era). He may be past his prime but he can still play the game at a high level and he plays it hard. I just dont see this as a reflection of the rangers past mistakes
It's a square peg in a round hole....Its another chief added instead of another soldier...i can go cliche after cliche as to why this wouldn't work now...

It's not something that is going to or should happen...The Rangers don't NEED Forsberg and signing a guy based on having the farm system to back up the signing doesn't make it right either...

frankly, it's a silly idea that is never going to happen...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Ok fair enough what you feel is fine and reasonable SOS. I still think the idea was reasonable too.

Either way it was just an idea thrown out there, not something I will fight for all day. Just wanted to see what other people thought.

I still think the Nashville idea was a good one.

Old
07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post

totally disagree. it would be a huge mistake to get forsberg. it is exactly like the "lindros era" he is past his prime like most of the guys you said we signed in the lindros era. he will want a lot of money because at a point he was the best player in the league. he is going to want top dollar. he is coming of ankle surgery. halfway through november he will be hurt, no matter what team he plays for. if he is on the third line and goes down your saying not a big deal. isn't that flushing $4 million dollars down the drain? just look at what he did with the flyers. it won't work at all. this would cancel the idea that we are bringing up kids in our system to play, because we went out and got another high priced free agent.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
It's a square peg in a round hole....Its another chief added instead of another soldier...i can go cliche after cliche as to why this wouldn't work now...

It's not something that is going to or should happen...The Rangers don't NEED Forsberg and signing a guy based on having the farm system to back up the signing doesn't make it right either...

frankly, it's a silly idea that is never going to happen...
It's just an attempt to rationalize seeing yet another star in a Rangers sweater. Nothing more. No thought, whatsoever, was put into the role he would actually play. As per the norm here on HF, as long as he fits under the cap...no need to worry about anything else. But, Forsberg is exactly the type of move the Rangers would have made in the past. He is an aging veteran, past his prime, who WOULD go down due to injury, which would mean there'd be about 30 games where the Rangers would have to plug a hole. He is not needed.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i was a big proponent of bringing in forsberg, but NOT in the 3rd line center spot. that needs to be a defensively responsible guy. forsberg wont give that to you.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i'm gonna be the wet blanket and say this really belongs in the "Matt Cullen's replacement" thread.

edit: although the nashville part is interesting while not offering any personal perspective. could you elaborate? are we sending them Mara or Malik for free?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:38 PM
eco's bones

Well I'll go back to Poile and whether or not anyone would want to sign with his Predators. Beggars can't be choosers. If Markov has it in his head he wants to be a Ranger is one thing but I'm sure his agent is well aware that the Rangers don't have the cap space to accomodate him at this time and so if you're Markov or his agent and the Predators offer you a 3 year deal for 2.5 or 3 million dollars a year do you tell them no?--I'm going to wait and see if the Rangers are going to have any cap space in the next couple months. Peca might be waiting on us but I'm pretty sure that most of the other UFA's left out there are going to take what they can get and when they can get it.

The Forsberg foot injury they screwed around with for almost a year. It doesn't seem to be a normal injury--it seems to be a debilitating kind. I'd steer clear of him with a 1000 ft pole--at least until I had some kind of assurance that he could really come back and play on it. By that time he might really be too old. I like SOS's comment about signing a guy and planning to back him up then with the farm system. Very apt.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
It's just an attempt to rationalize seeing yet another star in a Rangers sweater. Nothing more. No thought, whatsoever, was put into the role he would actually play. As per the norm here on HF, as long as he fits under the cap...no need to worry about anything else. But, Forsberg is exactly the type of move the Rangers would have made in the past. He is an aging veteran, past his prime, who WOULD go down due to injury, which would mean there'd be about 30 games where the Rangers would have to plug a hole. He is not needed.
Yes, when people were complaining about the Gomez and Drury signings being something the "Old Rangers" would do, I said: "No, the Old Rangers would have signed Forsberg." I still feel that way.

Maybe I'm worng, though. Hey, maybe we could trade Mara, Malik, AND Roszival, and sign Forsberg to center the third line and Lindros to center the fourth. Can you imagine THAT? A fourth line with Lindros? My NHL 2K8 team would rock!

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
theduke35

why dont we do a deal like this to the predators, we send them Mara, Malik, and hossa. thats about $6.5 million off the books going to nashville, who gets 2 solid defensemen and a contributer in hossa. while nashville sends us Dan Hamhuis im not sure what he makes but he is a good defensive dman that takes the body and plays solid positional hockey who is i think only 27. that leaves us with prob $3-4million left under the salary cap and we can also sign markov to a $2million dollar offer and still be under the cap with wiggle room.

Rosie Markov
Girardi Tyutin
Staal hamhuis

whattaya think?

theduke35 is offline   Reply With Quote