HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr sounding like a Captain

Old
07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
CallMeJerry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
gomez hasn't proved he can play in a different system. and there is no empahsis of defense on jagrs line. when was the last time anyone back checked? or anyone on jagrs line hustled back to the defensive zone? its different.
Old stereotype about Jagr. The last quarter of the season, the Rangers focussed on defence and Jagr was playing in his own zone like a man possessed.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:33 AM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
hockeybased- +1
Can someone tell me what the +1's are all about?

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
Can someone tell me what the +1's are all about?

They had some "elimination games" awhile ago, you put a +1 on the guy you liked a and a -1 on the one you didn't like.

I am not 100% sure, but I think +1 kind of means like "I agree".

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 05:16 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
your right about straka. good point he does get back but playing defense has no part in that jagr line. i'm not saying they should just worry about scoring, i'm saying its just not there.
You obviously didn't watch the team the from Feb on.

In fact without a backchecking job against St. Louis by Jagr in overtime where he prevented the blues from scoring on a 2 on 1, Jagr himself would not have been able to keep the Shootout alive. He had been on the ice for 2+ minutes and used all his energy to get back and prevent the goal. That game was the turning point of the season.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
After the mass exile you had to deal with, I can understand your bitterness.
Bitter? I'm not bitter at all. My comment was meant to be "tongue in cheek"; hence, the sign.

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
gomez hasn't proved he can play in a different system. and there is no empahsis of defense on jagrs line. when was the last time anyone back checked? or anyone on jagrs line hustled back to the defensive zone? its different.
#1 - When has Gomez ever had a CHANCE to prove himself in another "system"?

Uh, Straka hustles has ass off everywhere as people have noted and even Jagr and Nylander got into when hey were playing well.

But thats not the point im making. Please read it carefully this time. So i dont have to type out another essay again

You said Gomez has to learn another system and you compared him to Holik like they were the same player coming from the same system. Thats what im disputing.

Like i said if you wanna discuss how he will gel with Jagrs line thats one thing. But its not that much of a different system all together. The gap between the two teams styles has closed greatly since Holik came over. And Holik is a pigeon hole player. Hes a total shutdown guy. Gomez is anything but a shutdown guy. He can play well defensively but he is a different player all together. His major assets are speed, vision and passing.

The last time i checked Holik had none of those things and proved it while he was here. His major assets are grabbing players, being a nuisance to goalies and defenders, getting in the way, and occasionally getting a hard shot off. All of which havent been as great as since he was with the Devils.

Gomez is a player who can adapt and the Rangers have moved to a successful style of defensive to offensive style and if they decide to continue what theyve been on track with for the past season and a half, it should stay the same and develop further. Gomez should fit in perfectly if not enhance that style even more.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-19-2007 at 08:40 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:08 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatch038 View Post
Bitter? I'm not bitter at all. My comment was meant to be "tongue in cheek"; hence, the sign.
P.S. On a side note, and I know you guys don't care because this is your board, as an Isles fan...I could care less about "mass exodus". Snowang has the opportunity to finally build the team the "correct" way...through the draft. And with Tavares lingering in 2 yrs. maybe and I stress maybe the "Hockey gods" will smile upon us. However, as I stated before, this is the Ranger board so I'll discontinue "Islander talk".

Old
07-19-2007, 10:01 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatch038 View Post
P.S. On a side note, and I know you guys don't care because this is your board, as an Isles fan...I could care less about "mass exodus". Snowang has the opportunity to finally build the team the "correct" way...through the draft. And with Tavares lingering in 2 yrs. maybe and I stress maybe the "Hockey gods" will smile upon us. However, as I stated before, this is the Ranger board so I'll discontinue "Islander talk".
doubtful, if the hockey gods had any brains at all they would keep Tavares or any other decent player off the Island. Luckily, this year, it does seem there are plenty of hockey gods, and they have fulfilled this accomplishment

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:03 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
doubtful, if the hockey gods had any brains at all they would keep Tavares or any other decent player off the Island. Luckily, this year, it does seem there are plenty of hockey gods, and they have fulfilled this accomplishment
Go easy, fella. They've been through enough.

Old
07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Highly doubt it. Good ALWAYS triumphs over evil!!!

Old
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
#1 - When has Gomez ever had a CHANCE to prove himself in another "system"?

Uh, Straka hustles has ass off everywhere as people have noted and even Jagr and Nylander got into when hey were playing well.

But thats not the point im making. Please read it carefully this time. So i dont have to type out another essay again

You said Gomez has to learn another system and you compared him to Holik like they were the same player coming from the same system. Thats what im disputing.

Like i said if you wanna discuss how he will gel with Jagrs line thats one thing. But its not that much of a different system all together. The gap between the two teams styles has closed greatly since Holik came over. And Holik is a pigeon hole player. Hes a total shutdown guy. Gomez is anything but a shutdown guy. He can play well defensively but he is a different player all together. His major assets are speed, vision and passing.

The last time i checked Holik had none of those things and proved it while he was here. His major assets are grabbing players, being a nuisance to goalies and defenders, getting in the way, and occasionally getting a hard shot off. All of which havent been as great as since he was with the Devils.

Gomez is a player who can adapt and the Rangers have moved to a successful style of defensive to offensive style and if they decide to continue what theyve been on track with for the past season and a half, it should stay the same and develop further. Gomez should fit in perfectly if not enhance that style even more.
my point was that people are saying gomez can adapt to our style however different you say it is. how do we know that is my point. hes played in the same system, he hasn't adapted to anything. its like when people say he will be a good penalty killer. he never has been and he shouldn't be. and i agree with you straka does hustle his ass off, if you PAID ATTENTION TO MY REPLIES you wouldn't have to tell me and write another essay. however different holik and gomez style of play is, you can't ignor the fact that a great devil came to the rangers and sucked. he played real hard but still sucked. lets not get ahead of ourselves with gomez at this point. lets see what he can do before we say he can adapt to anything.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I love Jagr, and he always makes me laugh!

Can't wait until the season starts!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:11 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
You obviously didn't watch the team the from Feb on.

In fact without a backchecking job against St. Louis by Jagr in overtime where he prevented the blues from scoring on a 2 on 1, Jagr himself would not have been able to keep the Shootout alive. He had been on the ice for 2+ minutes and used all his energy to get back and prevent the goal. That game was the turning point of the season.
your right i didn't watch from feb on in fact i didn't watch a game at all last year. i couldn't the only games i got to see was divisional games i got some one to record. ok good play by jagr i will give him credit. doesn't mean though that he did it every game last year. i disagree with that game being the turning point of the season. we won 3 in our next six games after that. it didn't start anything huge. i think turning points could have been the home and home sweep of the isles, we gained four points on them in the standings, and jagrs shootout goal vs the hurricanes. another team that we were chasing at the time.

Old
07-19-2007, 12:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
however different holik and gomez style of play is, you can't ignor the fact that a great devil came to the rangers and sucked. he played real hard but still sucked. lets not get ahead of ourselves with gomez at this point. lets see what he can do before we say he can adapt to anything.
I have a hard time seeing Holik as a great Devil but i still think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Holik is such a different player than Gomez.

I agree with you when you say lets not get ahead of ourselves lets see what he can do. But the guy has never had a Chance to play for a different team before. Thats just as important as saying hes gonna fail because another high profile Devil has. Thats the easy way out IMO

You are just following the Holik adage and it isn't a real sound argument.

You would have a better argument if you compared the pressures of the size and length of the contracts and playing in New York City for both players.

Im gonna end it here. After all this is a Jagr thread. Have a good day Devito.

Old
07-19-2007, 01:15 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I have a hard time seeing Holik as a great Devil but i still think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Holik is such a different player than Gomez.

I agree with you when you say lets not get ahead of ourselves lets see what he can do. But the guy has never had a Chance to play for a different team before. Thats just as important as saying hes gonna fail because another high profile Devil has. Thats the easy way out IMO

You are just following the Holik adage and it isn't a real sound argument.

You would have a better argument if you compared the pressures of the size and length of the contracts and playing in New York City for both players.

Im gonna end it here. After all this is a Jagr thread. Have a good day Devito.
the fact that he has never played for another team is exactly my point. he didn't go to the devils from another team and adapt to anything. we don't know yet that he can play with jagr. good point about the contracts and the different expectations for holik and gomez. but with this huge contract and the expectations from gomez the pressure could be too much. i think we shouldn't say that he will play great with jagr yet. he hasn't played a game. lets wait and see. you have a good day too.

Old
07-19-2007, 06:51 PM
shoothepuck

Jagr needs to do all his interview overseas..

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT510 View Post
Jagr = first european captain to win the stanley cup.
That would be only fair...don't you think!

Holik is mega opinianated..Don't know much about Gomez. Seems like a likeable kid

As to Jagr's Center: Why are we so sure Gomez will be the guy? Why not Drury...or maybe even..........Straka?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote