HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heart and Sould Guys/Agitators

Old
07-19-2007, 06:16 AM
NYR27

vCash: 500
Heart and Sould Guys/Agitators

Over my years as a Ranger fan we have had quite a few good guys that might not score all that often, but become fan favorites solely on their ability to annoy everyone or take one for the team.

Domi - the first fighter I watched that i remember as a hockey fan
Kocur/Kypreos - Big parts of our run (Kipper filling in in Game 7)
Todd Harvey - I LOVED that guy when he was here, fun to watch
Barnaby - the inspiration for this thread with his retirement
Darius - wish it worked out a bit longer
Orts - wish you well
Avery - quickly a fan favorite

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:26 AM
TheRedressor

I can't believe you forgot to add Sandy "The Sandman" McCarthy.

That beard alone was intimidating.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:35 AM
NYR27

thats why I put it out there?

Who else?

Old
07-19-2007, 06:47 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
I can't believe you forgot to add Sandy "The Sandman" McCarthy.

That beard alone was intimidating.
OMG!!!! i loved him! he was my favorite for as long as i can remember, then one day he was off the rangers, and i didnt know or anything until the season started by the way, this was like when i was 10.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:49 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

does callahan and prucha apply? There both tiny guys, but they could win a fight if they wanted
ohh! and shanny! he said he tried to pick a few fights last season, but they didnt work!

Old
07-19-2007, 06:57 AM
NYR27

everyone applies. Even if they can score ala Prucha/Shanny and even Cally to some extent, if you like them for the intangible, name away

Old
07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR27 View Post
everyone applies. Even if they can score ala Prucha/Shanny and even Cally to some extent, if you like them for the intangible, name away
yay! i know this is a stupid question, but what is intangable? doesn't that mean they cant be replaced?

Old
07-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
What about Ulfie and Esa Tikkannen! Those guys could get under anyone's skin.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:07 AM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
yay! i know this is a stupid question, but what is intangable? doesn't that mean they cant be replaced?
Literally intangible is somewhat of a hard to define term. The way I meant it though, was that little extra hustle, extra forecheck extra hit extra effort kinda thing

As for Uflie and Teeks - I am liking where this thread is going, bringing back the fun memories I hoped it would like Esa blowing the kiss to Keith Jones. To this day when I see Jones as an anchor, thats all I think of

Old
07-19-2007, 07:35 AM
MadHookUp

Love this thread, because these players are usally my favorite players! My two favorite "Non Rangers" for the longest time was Kasparitis and Barnaby. And when the Rangers got both, I was giddy as a school girl. Then my favorite "Non Ranger" was Avery when I heard the comment he made about French Canadians. Shortly after, the Rangers got him. But I credit Tikkanen for making me such a huge fan of agitators when he made kissy face against some capitals player in the 94 playoffs.

I believe I have 14 hockey jersey's, and 4 of them belong to my all time favorite agitators...

Avery
Tikkanen
Barnaby
Kasparitis

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:39 AM
drewcon40

I loved Kris King . When Chris Nilan was here, he was fun to watch. if you can get your hands on some of the videos that were released on the late 80s eatly 90s Rangers, "Knuckles" Nilan was a character.

One guy who used to make me laugh on the ice was Paul Broten. I forget who it was on the Islanders but he laid a check into somebody and just dumped him over the boards. Also, I have a tape of where he is awarded a penalty shot and the players were hysterical on the bench. The smile on Roger Nielson's face was priceless.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:40 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Love this thread, because these players are usally my favorite players! My two favorite "Non Rangers" for the longest time was Kasparitis and Barnaby. And when the Rangers got both, I was giddy as a school girl. Then my favorite "Non Ranger" was Avery when I heard the comment he made about French Canadians. Shortly after, the Rangers got him. But I credit Tikkanen for making me such a huge fan of agitators when he made kissy face against some capitals player in the 94 playoffs.

I believe I have 14 hockey jersey's, and 4 of them belong to my all time favorite agitators...

Avery
Tikkanen
Barnaby
Kasparitis
ohh! i herd that one! I agree with avery! (dupris for example)

Old
07-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Ranger1135

Nick Fotiu from Staten Island, NY would absolutely fall into this category.
Not sure how many of you remember him but he was the only true tough guy we had in an era that was known for it's brutality. Players by the names Howatt, Nystrom, Tiger Williams, Paul Holmgren, Behn Wilson, Willie Plett, Al Secord, Dave Semenko, the list goes on, and each team had them. Nicky always stepped and defended his teammates.
But one thing that really endeared him to the NYR faithful was after pre-game warmups at The Garden he would throw pucks into the crowd. I am not talking 1 or two, he would throw several, and he would always, always make sure that at least one would reach the old "Blue Seats" in the upper deck.

Ranger1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:07 AM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1135 View Post
Not sure how many of you remember him but he was the only true tough guy we had in an era that was known for it's brutality. Players by the names Howatt, Nystrom, Tiger Williams, Paul Holmgren, Behn Wilson, Willie Plett, Al Secord, Dave Semenko, the list goes on, and each team had them. Nicky always stepped and defended his teammates.
But one thing that really endeared him to the NYR faithful was after pre-game warmups at The Garden he would throw pucks into the crowd. I am not talking 1 or two, he would throw several, and he would always, always make sure that at least one would reach the old "Blue Seats" in the upper deck.
My Garndfather tells me about those days a lot. Stories of him, Espo, Eddie and Gresch

Old
07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
I loved Kris King . When Chris Nilan was here, he was fun to watch. if you can get your hands on some of the videos that were released on the late 80s eatly 90s Rangers, "Knuckles" Nilan was a character.
I have "poised for glory" from 89 and theres a scene in it with Nilan cracking jokes while they are stretching in the locker room and its pretty funny.

You could tell the guy was a riot. Kinda reminded me of Bruce Willis a little.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
What about Ulfie and Esa Tikkannen! Those guys could get under anyone's skin.
I was about to say how can anyone forget Teek. The guy was the best agitator of all.

The best was when he tried to kiss Keith Jones. Everytime i see him doing a game on Versus or anywhere else i think of that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Over my years as a Ranger fan we have had quite a few good guys that might not score all that often, but become fan favorites solely on their ability to annoy everyone or take one for the team.

Domi - the first fighter I watched that i remember as a hockey fan
Kocur/Kypreos - Big parts of our run (Kipper filling in in Game 7)
Todd Harvey - I LOVED that guy when he was here, fun to watch
Barnaby - the inspiration for this thread with his retirement
Darius - wish it worked out a bit longer
Orts - wish you well
Avery - quickly a fan favorite
Seems like you are mixing up agitators and enforcers.

Domi had both going for him, but Kocur was strictly an enforcer, and arguably the best enforcer the team ever employed. He never ducked anyone, and fought the best of the best while he was here...and did it with a great win ratio also. Baumgartner, Grimson 2x, Probert, Berube, Miller...he pretty much took on every guy of the time, and he fared well most of the time.

Harvey, Barnaby, Kaspar, Samuelsson, and Tikk were all great examples of heart and soul/agitators. Especially Tikk, and Barnaby. Most agitators though, drive people crazy enough to draw a penalty and they skate away. Sometimes using the fake glove drop etc. Barney and Harvey were the exceptions there. They were always up for a good tussle.

For Sandy Mac...that guy was a murderer!...but that was before he came to broadway. He was a shell of himself while here. In the early 90's, McCarthy was arguably the best in the game, but probably not even a top ten heavyweight while with the Rangers. He also did his job on his own terms...something that you didn't see happen with guys like Kocur, or even with Colton Orr now. Overall though he was probably a better player than Kocur and Orr was...well at least better than Orr anyway.

Kurt Giles was another great agitator/heart and soul guy. That guy used to throw some huge checks!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1135 View Post
Absolutely remember Nick Fotiu! A player not unlike Orts who did everything with 100% effort and wore his heart on his sleeve for the Rangers...he was a terrific enforcer as well. I hated the way he was sent off...but thats life. You probably remember that fireplug Eddie Johnstone as well.....an undersized guy who took no crap and would go at it with anyone regardless of the size difference.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Jeff Beukeboom?

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Ranger1135

Quote:
My Garndfather tells me about those days a lot. Stories of him, Espo, Eddie and Gresch
Your Granfather is a wise man to remind you of this teams past

Old
07-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Ranger1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Absolutely remember Nick Fotiu! A player not unlike Orts who did everything with 100% effort and wore his heart on his sleeve for the Rangers...he was a terrific enforcer as well. I hated the way he was sent off...but thats life. You probably remember that fireplug Eddie Johnstone as well.....an undersized guy who took no crap and would go at it with anyone regardless of the size difference.
Eddie Johnstone, the toothless wonder, lol. Loved him too, another real heart & soul player. Broke my heart when they traded him to Detroit with Eddie Mio & Duguay for Blaisedell, Osbourne, and Huber.

Old
07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
I loved Kris King . When Chris Nilan was here, he was fun to watch.
Yeah, Knuckles was a character with his comments about Carol Alt when she went with Yashin. But we've forgotten Beaker (Verbeek=) and Fleo, I mean Theo.

Damn, grandfathers talking about teams I remember watching. I feel old.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:26 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Literally intangible is somewhat of a hard to define term. The way I meant it though, was that little extra hustle, extra forecheck extra hit extra effort kinda thing

As for Uflie and Teeks - I am liking where this thread is going, bringing back the fun memories I hoped it would like Esa blowing the kiss to Keith Jones. To this day when I see Jones as an anchor, thats all I think of
now i dont want to step on anybody's toes here, but ive found the best way to define "intangibles"---that something you just cant put a finger on. you cant see it but you know there is something.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Badko

Don't believe he's been mentioned yet but George McPhee was always one of my favorites...huge heart and he could hold his own.

Love this walk down memory lane...the first Ranger enforcer I remember was Reggie Fleming (and yes, I am a grandfather). And the best enforcer during that era was John Ferguson (Montreal Canadiens), who recently passed away, rest his soul.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
PJ Stock best open fighter in the NHL would throw with anyone
Churla More ballz then brains but he gave it all
Carins he was dropped a lot as a Ranger but never backed down
George the Animal Mcphee see PJ stock
God I loved 80-90's hockey

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote