HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Canes at home in Triangle

Old
07-17-2007, 08:06 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Former Canes at home in Triangle

N&O article

Nice article about former players who have remained here.

Quote:
It's a curious twist, given that when the Hurricanes moved to North Carolina in 1997, one of the knocks against the franchise around the league was that free agents would not want to live in the area.

"Once you get here and play for a year or two and start getting the feel of the city and the people and the town and the organization, there's nowhere better," Brind'Amour said. "The grass isn't greener somewhere else. I think that's what you're starting to see now. Guys want to stay here."

07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
wisssh

Send a message via Yahoo to wisssh
Our adult team needs some ringers

wisssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I haven't seen Halkos name in a long time.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see Aaron Ward sign a deal with Carolina when his current contract runs up. He sounds like he really wants to be here. Granted, he'd probably have to do it for around $2 million but he wouldn't be a bad replacement should Wesley decide to hang them up after this season.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I wouldn't mind Ward coming back, but I am still a little pissed at what he did last season. Was it Adams or Cole?

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
It was Kevyn Adams i'm pretty sure. He probably deserved it. Our Top Pairing from the Cup winning team either beat him up or cheapshotted him.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
I am all for having Ward come back to this team next offseason. Personally, I think he'd take a big pay cut to do so. I'd say he would come here for around 1.5 Million per season, easy, but potentially 2 Million as CF said, but no higher. Just my opinion however. He will be 35 heading into the season, and turning 36 in January (Next season). He would be a perfect guy to come in and replace a guy like Wesley. As of right now, our defence corps going into next offseason is as follows: (Providing we re-sign Commodore, which I see no problem doing)

Commodore
Kaberle
Gleason
Wallin

We could potentially be looking half decent next offseason if Commodore registers close to 30 points again, Kaberle returns to a 40-45 point season, and Gleason finds some offense in his game, he could be a solid 25 point defenceman for us this year IMO. Same statistics as A. Ward posted in the 05-06 Season. IMO we don't have the guys that are going to leave you wondering, "how did they do that" but what we do have is a defence core who can potentially have solid numbers from the backend which is good enough to compliment our A+ forward group and potentially top notch goaltending.

Though it would be nice to add 2 guys with an offensive touch, I will still take Ward back and then potentially bring in an offensive defenceman, such as Brad Stuart, for example. However, he pretty well signed a 1 year deal to prove himself, so he will be looking for the good ol' pay day I am sure.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Les Ouragans

Good article. This just reinforces an opinion I've had for a long time - if you're a young single NHL player, this area isn't that happening of a spot (though it has gotten a lot better). But its no New York or LA in terms of nightlife and lifestyle.

But if you're a married player and/or have kids, its a great place to be.

Les Ouragans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ouragans View Post
Good article. This just reinforces an opinion I've had for a long time - if you're a young single NHL player, this area isn't that happening of a spot (though it has gotten a lot better). But its no New York or LA in terms of nightlife and lifestyle.

But if you're a married player and/or have kids, its a great place to be.
Bit off topic but I'm a Leafs Fan and I was wonder how much it would take to get F.Kaberle from you guys? Which person/persons on our team or picks? And how much is his salary now?

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Wow, Robert Kron is still here? That's a name I haven't seen in a long while! Surprised to see Shane Willis still living in Garner. Glen Wesley a big church guy? He just earned some points in my book

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote