HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Scott Niedermayer Possible Retirement (Rumor)

Old
07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post
I pretty much agree with your line combinations, but why move Bryzgalov to free up capspace when Hiller makes twice as much? Hiller's caphit is $3.200 with the big club, so he's pretty much stuck in Portland if Giguere doesn't get injured.

If Scotty and Teemu returns, Marchant and Bryzgalov would be dealt IMO. Selanne would have to take a paycut to keep Penner on the team, if we don't trade O'Donnell.
We would be looking for a cheap backup like Burke or Aubin and a cheap defensive center that can replace Marchant in PK. Bring Mikael Holmqvist back maybe? A solid skater, and forechecker and has good hands. Can also throw his gloves if neccesary...
I didn't crunch the numbers regarding Hiller, so thats my mistake. Insert a cheap backup there.

I don't see Holmqvist coming back.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Isles72

sign Yashin , maybe Scott will want to win a cup for him too

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
PhillyPhantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Kings fan's opinions are fine as long as they provide actual content. Or if they aren't just plain dumb.
I always wondered why there seems to be legions of Kings fans so interested about the Ducks... I guess Stanley Cup and going deep in to the playoffs certainly helped. But I mean, we (Flyers fans) pretty much ignored the Devils when they won.

Anyways, I always admired Scot. He had a great career. I've always liked him even when he played for stinkin Jersey. I hope he comes back, since I've adopted the Ducks since like '98.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Kings fan's opinions are fine as long as they provide actual content. Or if they aren't just plain dumb.

Normally trading a newly signed player would be bad for future FA prospects, but I don't think our doing it would affect us as much. Players and agents (now called plagents) will take the circumstances into account. Schneider and Bertuzzi were signed as replacements for Selanne and Niedermayer. Plagents will see that salary had to be moved to fit these two franchise players. And it's also good for the player too because they'd certainly out on a first line spot to Selanne and Nieds. It's not like we signed a player just to trade him for assets. And the contracts were only 2 years, it's not as bad as trading someone we'd committed to for the long term. And I'm sure it would only happen as a last resort, if we couldn't move other people. It's certainly way better than waiving a vet and placing him in the minors.

Anyways I seriously doubt that both Selanne and Niedermayer come back, so this is probably pointless speculation.
I just don't know whether or not it would work that way. Eventually we'll find out when some team out there does it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:20 PM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
so far with scotty we have some 2.6M left in cap room
if both will stay we have to clear some money in bryzgalov and marchant I think
I have different numbers from Wildcat:
"UPDATE:

New cap numbers have arrived.

This upper number is looking at the team using players who have one-way deals and or played for the Ducks in the previous season using the number of games they played that season. (Salary Cap is calculated on a daily basis.)

Allowed Salary - 55,330,000 (Inculdes 10% overage for summer)
Salary Contracts - 48,821,181
Estimated Bounes '07-08 - 0
Remaining Cap Space- 6,508,819

This number is what the Ducks roster should look like on opening night.

Est of Salary Cap Limit - 48,718,580
Est Bonuses for '07-08 - 0
Est Cap Space - 1,581,420"

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
He really likes dicking around eh?
It tells me he is atleast considering returning which is alot of progress forward from about 3 weeks ago IMO.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Toro

i guess you guys will be sweating all summer. One thing is for sure, Burke doesn't duck around. He is ready for anything. He has guys ready for any situation. NO matter who retires or not, i think he has the options to fit it together.

Bryzgalov
Marchant
Kunitz
O'donnell etc.

there are guys to move if neccessary. Im glad you guys are in the west.

Good luck

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Kick Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
Burke is a smart business man. He most certainly knows that Scooty is going to retire. He is not one to put himself in an extremely vulnerable position of being over the cap. I can't imagine that he would have placed himself in a position of being way way over the cap and leaving himself no options short of gutting the team. He knows Scotty is going to retire and possibly Teemu also. So IMHO opinion, not to worry.
Bravo, DF: you nailed it! The likelihood of Scott Niedermayer opting not to retire now is infinitesimal. Is there a chance that he won't? Sure. But there's also a chance that the Kansas City Royals play the Pirates in the 2008 World Series. All right: maybe Scottie not retiring this year is more likely than the Royals-Pirates next year, but, in all likelihood, not only will the Royals and Pirates remain in the doldrums next year, but also, Scottie will not be playing NHL hockey this season.

Teemu could go either way. But irrespective of whether they both play, one of them decides to play or they both retire, Burke has plans "B", "C" and "D" well thought out.

This constant hand-wringing about salary cap problems that are very unlikely to materialize is wearing thin.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
i guess you guys will be sweating all summer. One thing is for sure, Burke doesn't duck around. He is ready for anything. He has guys ready for any situation. NO matter who retires or not, i think he has the options to fit it together.

Bryzgalov
Marchant
Kunitz
O'donnell etc.

Good luck
Great post. Well spoken and thanks for the positivity.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
ktulu98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post

Bryzgalov
Marchant
Kunitz
O'donnell etc.

Good luck
kunitz? NO
o'donnell? NO
bryz? YES
Marchant YES

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote