HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Cole

Old
07-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Cardiac_Canes

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
The heart of our team? That's a bit much...

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 03:52 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I love Erik Cole and think Rutherford is an idiot for dangling him out there as trade bait every summer, but I wouldn't be mad if he traded him for Ohlund. Not a drop. I would be sad to see him go but I wouldn't be mad at dumm....I mean JR.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
i would say he is our catalyst--our best games are when he is flying

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
caniac247

Quote:
maybe not the heart of the team, but he sure can change the momentum in the Canes favor in a heartbeat.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
And I'm not disagreeing with that. Just saying I don't consider him the heart of our team.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Canes4me

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
I love Erik Cole and think Rutherford is an idiot for dangling him out there as trade bait every summer, but I wouldn't be mad if he traded him for Ohlund. Not a drop. I would be sad to see him go but I wouldn't be mad at dumm....I mean JR.
I understand the arguments about EC not staying after his contract, us not being able to afford him, being at his greatest trade potential now, etc., but what no-one has been able to explain to me is who will take his place on Stall line with the same effectiveness???

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Rod Brind'Amour is the heart of this team and has been since after the lockout. Erik Cole certainly holds a special place in all our hearts, and he may be the most explosive player on the entire roster, but to say he's the heart is selling Brind'Amour a little short. Wesley also represents Hurricanes hockey as much or better than any other player on the roster if for sheer longevity and consistant play over the decade we've been here.

With that said, If Erik Cole sticks around and eventually becomes a letter he'll take the role and run with it. I would love to see #26 start and end his career here. I was in the crowd for his first career shift and first career point and have been a huge fan of his ever since. I'm pretty sure it was his first shift he scored on by a goal from ....Sandis Ozolinsh. I think Darren Langdon scored minutes later. Talk about the stars lining up.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
IF I was Nonis, I'd take Cole for Ohlund pretty quickly, if I were JR, I'd have to think about it.
If I was Nonis, I wouldn't. A #1 d-man making $3.5M is worth more than a 30 goal scorer making $4M.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I can't say whether the trade is fair, but Cole is capable of more than 30 goals. He had 30/30 in 05-06 and was on pace for 40/40 before the injury.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

I would love to have Cole on the Canucks, he would help solve the Canucks scoring troubles for sure ...

But ofcourse this trade is never going to happen

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:49 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
I can't say whether the trade is fair, but Cole is capable of more than 30 goals. He had 30/30 in 05-06 and was on pace for 40/40 before the injury.
He had 30 goals and 29 assists in 60 games before his injury sidelined him. It was a VERY real possibility that he could've been a 40 goal scorer that year. Stupid Orpik...

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Canes Fan

Quote:
And I'm not disagreeing with that. Just saying I don't consider him the heart of our team.
Did you see the movie the Replacements? Well what I mean by heart is the way he plays. He may not be the most talented but he seems to play with heart. The few times that I have talked with him he is upbeat and appreciative. The year that we won the cup, I was amazed that he came back early and played in the finals. You may disagree but I would hate to lose him.

Canes Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Canes Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Rod Brind'Amour is the heart of this team and has been since after the lockout. Erik Cole certainly holds a special place in all our hearts, and he may be the most explosive player on the entire roster, but to say he's the heart is selling Brind'Amour a little short. Wesley also represents Hurricanes hockey as much or better than any other player on the roster if for sheer longevity and consistant play over the decade we've been here.

With that said, If Erik Cole sticks around and eventually becomes a letter he'll take the role and run with it. I would love to see #26 start and end his career here. I was in the crowd for his first career shift and first career point and have been a huge fan of his ever since. I'm pretty sure it was his first shift he scored on by a goal from ....Sandis Ozolinsh. I think Darren Langdon scored minutes later. Talk about the stars lining up.
Okay I agree Brind'Amour and Wesley are pretty much the same type of players and you could consider either one of them the heart of the team. My problem is I am a huge fan and hate to see any of my favorites leave.

Canes Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Strombone1

As much as I like Erik Cole and would love to see him in a Canucks uniform, I think that Dave Nonis is really trying to keep the defense together. The Canucks basically have six top four defensemen and Ohlund logs the most minutes. The Canucks would have to give up way too much to acquire Cole without giving the Canes one of our top four defensemen. (Salo, Mitchell and Ohlund have no trade clauses and Bieksa is a young talent that Dave Nonis probably recognizes as untouchable)

I believe that Nonis is going to wait until after the salary arbitration hearings to make a move unless he can pick up a young scorer that was let loose by his team after salary arbitration.

Unless the Canes are interested in Morrison, Cooke or maybe Lukas Krajickek, a deal for Erik Cole is probably out of the question for the Canucks.

Strombone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Eklund seems to not know when to give up on the Cole trade rumours.

Quote:
There are rumours swirling regarding Erik Cole again and this time they are linked to Vancouver...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8844

I guess there is one positive from this piece of writing when you think about it. Alteast he finally learned how Erik spells his first name.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 01:56 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

"This time" they are linked to Vancouver? Didn't he pick up Cole for Ohlund like a few weeks after it was talked about on here?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 02:04 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Since it seems like the most valuable commodity we would want from Vancouver, Mattias Ohlund, wouldn't waive his no-trade-clause to come here. What else does Vancouver have that we could be interested in?

Any other possible move wouldn't really do much to improve this team.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 02:08 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Perhaps you clear a little salary and trade him for either Matt Cooke or Taylor Pyatt and a draft pick or prospect, move Scott Walker up to the first-line with Cory Stillman and Eric Staal, and pair either Cooke or Pyatt with Andrew Ladd and Matt Cullen on the third-line.

Old
08-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Outside of Ohlund, they have nothing of equal value on their roster that they would be willing give up to acquire Cole. And who says they would even be willing to shed Ohlund, that is just speculation. None of their forwards they would be willing to move would fill the void of Cole leaving this team, let alone IMO I don't think there is one forward on that Nucks' team that can come here and fill the void Cole would leave. I know Nucks' fans won't be happy to hear that, so be it. They don't have one player on their roster that can change the momentum of a game the way Cole can. But hey, thats my opinion.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-04-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 02:22 PM
fogducker

I agree that Vancouver doesn't have any forwards that would replace Cole, that's why we want him from you guys! the only chips that we have is Ohlund/Bieska or any one of our prospects (Bourdon Edler Schiender)

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 02:25 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Exactly. Outside of Ohlund, they have nothing on their roster that they would be willing give up to acquire Cole. And who says they would even be willing to shed Ohlund, that is just speculation. None of their forwards they would be willing to move would fill the void of Cole leaving this team, let alone IMO I don't think there is one forward on that Nucks' team that can come here and fill the void Cole would leave. I know Nucks' fans won't be happy to hear that, so be it. They don't have one player on their roster that can change the momentum of a game the way Cole can. But hey, thats my opinion.
I would agree with that. If this move were to take place, it would purely be a financial move on our part. We need a little salary cap relief and to move Erik Cole would give us that needed room. We'll likely hear alot of rumors of a potential trade this offseason and even more next offseason. Cole won't be back here after his contract expires, I think Rutherford realizes this and wants to attempt to get some type of return for him.

From a value standpoint, it is Mattias Ohlund or bust. From a financial standpoint, Vancouver could potentially put together a package of a roster player and either picks or prospects to make the deal work. There is alot of fluidity between our top nine forwards, so we could potentially shift around our lines to limit the impact of the loss of a player like Cole. While I would hate to lose Cole, I feel a line of Andrew Ladd / Eric Staal / Scott Walker could do alot to fill that void.

Old
08-04-2007, 02:57 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
I would agree with that. If this move were to take place, it would purely be a financial move on our part. We need a little salary cap relief and to move Erik Cole would give us that needed room. We'll likely hear alot of rumors of a potential trade this offseason and even more next offseason. Cole won't be back here after his contract expires, I think Rutherford realizes this and wants to attempt to get some type of return for him.

From a value standpoint, it is Mattias Ohlund or bust. From a financial standpoint, Vancouver could potentially put together a package of a roster player and either picks or prospects to make the deal work. There is alot of fluidy between our top nine forwards, so we could potentially shift around our lines to limit the impact of the loss of a player like Cole. While I would hate to lose Cole, I feel a line of Andrew Ladd / Eric Staal / Scott Walker could do alot to fill that void.
So Erik Cole told you himself that he won't be back after his contract is up?

No one knows if Cole will re-sign or not. When you talk to him he says he wants to stay here. Not to mention he and Emily are building a brand new house in Raleigh. But then his negotiations always seem to be a pain in the butt.

I'm sure Vancouver has called JR about Cole and i'm sure JR has listened to their offer, but he's probably saying 'sorry i'm not prepared to move Cole now'. Ohlund would be the only guy we would really be interested, but even JR himself has said that with signing Hamilton and re-acquiring Cullen, his need for a puck moving defenseman is no longer a must have. We do have enough forwards, but none of them can replace Cole at this time. Maybe Ladd in 2-3 years, but not now and I wouldn't want to force Ladd into Cole's spot now as it could effect his development.

Like I said I'm sure teams have called JR about Cole and i'm sure JR is listening, but unless the offer is BIG, JR will decline.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 03:06 PM
cyrisweb

While the Canucks would love to have Cole. I don't think he is the right direction for the Canucks to take. Costs to much to aquire.

The Canucks will be looking for a less proven forward.
Their bait is one of Bourdon/Edler, Schneider, Grabner and a 1st.

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 03:10 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesyfan View Post
So Erik Cole told you himself that he won't be back after his contract is up?

No one knows if Cole will re-sign or not. When you talk to him he says he wants to stay here. Not to mention he and Emily are building a brand new house in Raleigh. But then his negotiations always seem to be a pain in the butt.

I'm sure Vancouver has called JR about Cole and i'm sure JR has listened to their offer, but he's probably saying 'sorry i'm not prepared to move Cole now'. Ohlund would be the only guy we would really be interested, but even JR himself has said that with signing Hamilton and re-acquiring Cullen, his need for a puck moving defenseman is no longer a must have. We do have enough forwards, but none of them can replace Cole at this time. Maybe Ladd in 2-3 years, but not now and I wouldn't want to force Ladd into Cole's spot now as it could effect his development.

Like I said I'm sure teams have called JR about Cole and i'm sure JR is listening, but unless the offer is BIG, JR will decline.
Who do you think we pay the money to, Eric Staal or Erik Cole? If you say Cole, then you clearly are a major "colesyfan". Even Cole wanted a one-year deal this past offseason so he could test the free agency waters this offseason. He and his wife may like it in North Carolina, but that doesn't mean he has to play in North Carolina. Just look at Aaron Ward, Bates Battaglia, Ron Francis, and Sean Hill. All guys that kept a home here while they played elsewhere. For the money he could make elsewhere, Cole would be foolish to stick around here at a greatly discounted price.

Old
08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb View Post
While the Canucks would love to have Cole. I don't think he is the right direction for the Canucks to take. Costs to much to aquire.

The Canucks will be looking for a less proven forward.
Their bait is one of Bourdon/Edler, Schneider, Grabner and a 1st.
Vancouver would need to throw in a NHL forward for any deal to be worthwhile for the Hurricanes.