HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there room for Staal?

Old
07-19-2007, 07:39 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
why would the Rangers send hutchinson or pock packing when strudwick would CLEARLY clear waivers?

as for Staal...I EXPECT him to have a good camp and make the team..There is room for him too...it's up to him to do it...

Why? For more cap relief. Ok, so they send Strudwick down. That's 8 defensemen left. Still 1 too many. Maybe someone gets dealt, but if I'm concerned about the cap I'll trim the fat if I have to with waivers. Maybe Sather isn't concerned anymore but that's what I would do if there was concern. The thing about Strudwick and Pock is that Renney knows he can throw them out as a forward if he has to.

I know most of this is somewhat far-fetched but I'm just trying to be creative.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Levitate

Well, I can guarantee if he spends time in Hartford, he'll be ripped to shreds by the fans down there if he doesn't immediately step in as the best defenseman in the AHL.

Bunch of loonies up there. Loonies that hate high Rangers draft picks.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:59 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
what happens if it dosnt work if we put him in there right away? What if the pressure gets to him, and he turns out like blackburn? he needs to spend at least a couple of weeks in hartford.
Blackburn was a goalie that hurt his shoulder in a weight training accident. Played 18games in a row after Richter was hurt and before we acquired "Dude"Dunham in goal. Was suceptible to high shots, but overall played well in his short stint w/NYR. So how do you compare him w/Marc Staal. Are you afraid Marc will have a weight training accident also? Staal will be fine, he seem to thrive on pressure during run at Memorial Cup. I look to him to be part of top 6, and move up as his year progresses to top 4.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:49 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

55 days till camp opens.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
hooter1194

I went and watched him in sudbury last year and to me he should of been in Hartford last year. Totally dominated there last really not much of a learning experience I want this kid here 6th or 7th dman and learn nhl life. He seems to suck up knowledge like a vacum. Let him learn here. IMO

hooter1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Fletch

nrf..

I think he is scared the guy hurts his shoulder because he's trying to get somewhere too fast. Personally, I don't agree with that. Any kid who's going to be an NHLer will try very hard, whether in the NHL or trying to get there, so I don't think there's much validity to the thought. The Rangers will not rush this kid. He looked poised to be an NHLer two seasons ago and he was sent down. He looked less-poised last season, but also looked as though it was worth giving him a short look to see if he settles in, but he was sent down. They signed Strudwick to fill that sixth slot if necessary. They have Pock to fill the sixth slot of necessary. They now have Hutchinson to fill that sixth slot if necessary. There is Baranka, and maybe even Sauer too who can push for a slot. In summary, there is a slot, but they're not going to rush someone who is not ready; I see them doing the opposite and sending a kid who is ready to Hartford for more seasoning as most would agree that's not going to hurt anybody.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Why can't this team ever be ok with letting kids make a mistake on the ice? If he's going to screw up I'd like it to be early in the season. I mean if this kid is as good as he's supposed to be (from the recent reports) how much worse could he be than Jason Strudwick?
You don't invest all you can into the rest of the team to have it be dependant on a learning curve. Im just as big a fan of Staal's as the next guy, but the "why cant this team let the kids play" is problematic after the offseason signings. Yes the D is the weakest link, and if Marc is ready to contribute, more power to him, but it shouldn't be a given that he makes the team because he's a young up and coming player. If he shows he's ready at camp, Let's Rock, if not, we can wait.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Fletch

Pogo...

nobody wants it to be a given, but there are many ways to properly bring along a kid. Perhaps Staal is ready for the NHL, but will not be better than Pock for the first couple months, but then will catch-on because he played in the NHL, learned a lot and is better for it. The mentality, very often, of the Rangers is to let Pock play and we'll see Marc next season. There's not a lot wrong with that but some other coaches/teams are more tolerant of young players' mistakes than others. It's a comfort factor with each team and takes into consideration where they are in development, chances for the playoffs/Cup, as well as the risk profile of the coach/GM, who have to balance winning today with winning tomorrow.

Personally, I don't mind a kid taking lumps at the NHL level so long as he just doesn't look completely out of place. Being lost is one thing - making stupid decisions a few times and learning from them is another.

Old
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
bleedrngrblue

Its a real simple decision process. If he plays well, they will keep him up at someone elses expense...if he doesn't, he will be in Hartford. I think the real competition will be Hutch vs Pock in camp. Whoever provides the better point option is going to be part of the 3rd pairing... I see it shaking out something like this

Guaranteed spots:
Roszival
Malik
Tyutin
Mara
the rest is up to the players...with Girardi having a clear edge...but don't kid yourself, if he comes to camp and isn't prepared in any way, he'll be scratrching and clawing to get a roster spot too so there are two spots in the lineup for Pock,Girardi,Hutch,Staal, Liffiton,....and that doesn't take into account Kasper if he is really back to his old self. There may well be some movement of assets in the short term with the extra personnel....but that isn't a BAD thing at all. Also...don't count Liffiton out, he may well surprise in camp...and he is probably the toughest of the young defensemen as far as physicality is concerned, but he is on the slow side.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
nobody wants it to be a given, but there are many ways to properly bring along a kid. Perhaps Staal is ready for the NHL, but will not be better than Pock for the first couple months, but then will catch-on because he played in the NHL, learned a lot and is better for it. The mentality, very often, of the Rangers is to let Pock play and we'll see Marc next season. There's not a lot wrong with that but some other coaches/teams are more tolerant of young players' mistakes than others. It's a comfort factor with each team and takes into consideration where they are in development, chances for the playoffs/Cup, as well as the risk profile of the coach/GM, who have to balance winning today with winning tomorrow.

Personally, I don't mind a kid taking lumps at the NHL level so long as he just doesn't look completely out of place. Being lost is one thing - making stupid decisions a few times and learning from them is another.
I get you Fletch, and I don't disagree. I am just wary of being blind in a pursuit to let the kids play. He could be worse than, and then get better than Pock at one point in the season, or he might not. I'm not against it, I just want the team to ice the best possible team night in and night out.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:44 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
there are no guarantees that staal is making this team.

i for one think he can, and will, but its no guarantee, and starting the year off in hartford wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for this kid.
Agreed, if he earns a spot I imagine Renny will make a spot for him. If not he can re-earn a spot from good play in Hartford.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Mason530

Wasn't he already penciled in on the starting line up????

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:12 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason530 View Post
Wasn't he already penciled in on the starting line up????
Well, he has to earn it. At this point I expect him to do it.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Why? For more cap relief. Ok, so they send Strudwick down. That's 8 defensemen left. Still 1 too many. Maybe someone gets dealt, but if I'm concerned about the cap I'll trim the fat if I have to with waivers. Maybe Sather isn't concerned anymore but that's what I would do if there was concern. The thing about Strudwick and Pock is that Renney knows he can throw them out as a forward if he has to.

I know most of this is somewhat far-fetched but I'm just trying to be creative.
I could end up being wrong on this but I don't see why the Rangers would lose Pock or Hutchinson for nothing on waivers when they can move strudwick..

Strudwick makes about $200k less then Pock and $100k less then Hutchinson...If the Rangers need $200k in cap relief at the begining of the season then something is terribly wrong...seriously....

The Rangers carried 8 defensemen for most of last season...They can have Pock and Hutchinson as healthy scratches on most nights...

Marc Staals progression will dictate all of this...which i guess is the point of the thread...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Pizza

There is room for anyone that is ready IMHO.

If Staal is ready he stays, if not a little time in Hartford is far from the worst thing in the world.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

People here tend to underrate Staal

The scouting guy Mark Seidel who writes for the various scouting publications was on Leafs Lunch last week and he picked Staal to win the Calder this season.Of course,Seidel is a little biased when it comes to Staal.He thinks Staal is a better player than both Johnson boys

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Fletch

I don't think anybody's underrating Staal...

I think many believe that the Rangers coaching staff may think that starting the season in Hartford would be best to get some seasoning, and he may pop-up sometime in the Winter after an injury or if he plays himself out of Hartford.

Old
07-20-2007, 07:50 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Blackburn was a goalie that hurt his shoulder in a weight training accident. Played 18games in a row after Richter was hurt and before we acquired "Dude"Dunham in goal. Was suceptible to high shots, but overall played well in his short stint w/NYR. So how do you compare him w/Marc Staal. Are you afraid Marc will have a weight training accident also? Staal will be fine, he seem to thrive on pressure during run at Memorial Cup. I look to him to be part of top 6, and move up as his year progresses to top 4.
you can never be too sure , but how weird would that be? if he makes it through training camp, he's alright with me, but i still think tey should send him down to hartford. not for long, just to get the feel of their style of play.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
People here tend to underrate Staal

The scouting guy Mark Seidel who writes for the various scouting publications was on Leafs Lunch last week and he picked Staal to win the Calder this season.Of course,Seidel is a little biased when it comes to Staal.He thinks Staal is a better player than both Johnson boys
He is though So if the Johnsons can be NHL ready this year than Marc is 10x more ready

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I think he'll start the season in Hartford simply because he can and none of the others can be optioned there without clearing waivers. It gives the rangers the easiest way to hold onto the most players.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some camp time deals thought. Much like the Garth Murray/Marcel Hossa deal.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote