HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Selling the Sabres is a BIG Mistake.

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
Selling the Sabres is a BIG Mistake.

Why in the heck should we be sellers???

We are almost a legitement playoff team IMO. We a one of the deepest groups of forwards in the NHL, and we have a solid #1 pairing in Zhitnik and Kalinin.

Martin Biron's record is 19-13-4. He has been winning games, that's all that matters. A big mistake that we made was name Miller the #1 to start the year. Biron's confidence got shot.

All we need is a couple solid, reliable defensemen who can play some quality minutes and clear the crease. Biron needs to step up a bit, but really there is not much tinkering needed. We can afford to move any of Brown, Afino, Kotalik, Noronen, Campbell, even Pyatt. I think that's enough assets to acquire 2-3 quality D-men.

Say we dangle Brown, Kotalik, Noronen, Campbell and a 2nd/3rd/4th rnd pick(s):

Satan-Drury-Afinogenov
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Bartovic-Roy-Pyatt

Fill the 4th line with any of: Boulton, Peters, Mair, Botterill, Gaustad (Connolly when healthy)

That forward group is still very good without Brown and Kotalik. I think we could land Saprykin from Calgary if need be.

Say we acquire 2 D-men, Hill and Salei.

Zhitnik-Kalinin
Mckee-Salei
Hill-Tallinder

Extras: Fitzpatrick, Patrick, Delmore (all three of these guys should be extras, and that's our biggest problem right now)

The D is now officially SOLID.

Noronen gets moved so goalies now are:

Biron
Miller
I'm sure Miller can match Noronen's job as a backup.

In half an hour we're playing the Blues, and the word is that if we lose we will become sellers, as a Sabres fan that means goodbye to Miro Satan, Zhitnik and whoever else. Why would we put ourselves right back to *square 1* when we are so close?

I like this team and I hope that management doesn't panic and fold to the pressure of the media who for some reason feel that this team needs to rebuild. Keep the guys together...if we don't make it in this year...awwh well we're still improving year to year...next year we should be even better.

What do you folks think the Sabres should do??

Old
03-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Takeo

Golisano saved our tails, you don't have to worry. :p

Old
03-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Impossibles

The way I look at it is the Sabres MIGHT have a shot at making the playoffs, but there is no way they can compete with the top 3-4 teams in a 7 game series.

But if you make a couple deals that will make you better next year, you can make a serious playoff run with a better team.

Old
03-07-2004, 05:12 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I think everyone agrees that the Isles are on shaky ground, but there is nothing about Buffalo that impresses me too much.

IMO the two most dangerous teams still in the EC playoff hunt are Florida(Luongo) and Atlanta(Ilya and Dany).

Old
03-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Looger

Fan-of-#9,

i'd think the huge victories over toronto and ottawa have convinced sabre fans that playoffs are in sight, but maybe management has different ideas...

i agree that saprykin might be attainable ( i follow calgary very closely ) but the price may be high, like saprykin + commodore/wallin/montador for afeniganov. the flames won't be shipping out any skill while they struggle to score 200 goals this season - sunday's avalanche coach-firing breakdown notwithstanding.

that trade that sent rhett warrener out of buffalo i knew would be trouble. drury may be worth it but it still leaves the sabres without that 3-4 dependable net-clearing presence. though i should add that the few sabre games i've seen this season jay mckee has been pretty decent.

Old
03-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
I totally agree...there are still about 15 games left. Anything can happen. Buffalo is hot and the Isles aren't as hot, IMO Buffalo has a better team then the ISles. Why trade Satan now..especially to NYI (rumor goin on)

Old
03-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Looger

man if the sabres trade satan to the isles they are writing off this season, personally. i can think of no quicker way to alienate loyal fans.

Old
03-07-2004, 07:06 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
I think everyone agrees that the Isles are on shaky ground, but there is nothing about Buffalo that impresses me too much.

IMO the two most dangerous teams still in the EC playoff hunt are Florida(Luongo) and Atlanta(Ilya and Dany).
How do you see Atlanta and Florida in the race and not Buffalo?Both have played 2 more games then us and we are still leading in points.Florida has let in a grand total of 5 more goals then us this year.They have no offense.Atlanta has a good offense but bad goaltending.

I think in terms of

Offense
1.Atlanta
2.Buffalo
3.Florida

Defense
1.Florida
2.Buffalo
3.Atlanta

Old
03-07-2004, 07:31 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
How do you see Atlanta and Florida in the race and not Buffalo?Both have played 2 more games then us and we are still leading in points.Florida has let in a grand total of 5 more goals then us this year.They have no offense.Atlanta has a good offense but bad goaltending.

I think in terms of

Offense
1.Atlanta
2.Buffalo
3.Florida

Defense
1.Florida
2.Buffalo
3.Atlanta
Florida has goaltending though that is why imo they are more of a threat then us to the Isle's. If you talk offense thogh we are much better than the Isle's.

Closed Thread