HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pro Stock Sticks?

Old
07-23-2007, 11:10 AM
XweekendwarriorX

vCash: 500
Pro Stock Sticks?

Do these sticks break more than the normal sticks they sell? i just bought a XXX vapor lite and is the best stick i have used, but for xmas 2 years ago i got a XXX vapor and it broke 2 months after i got it. was just wondering if pro stocks have the same durability or not.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Pivot King

Pro stock sticks are made to be more durable than retail sticks. Obviously players in pro are on the ice every day and need a stick that will hold up to the beating. Plus, there is more on the line in games for pro players so they need to rely on their sticks more. If you think about it, the companies also want to have as many pro guys using their stuff as possible in order to drive up retail sales as well, so they need to make a durable product that pro players will favour. People can argue against this as we see pro guys breaking more of their sticks than in recreation leagues or minor hockey, but I would see this as a result of constant use and also physical power of the pro players compared to amateurs.

Pivot King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:47 AM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Actually they do, which is why you don't find them in your local pro shop. Sticks, pads, and even the skates are all reinforced and custom made at the player's request. If the player is a strong skater, power wise, then the skates will have double or triple stitching and more leather, etc. Same goes for padding. Sticks are different. The pro stock all have more pieces to them which makes them stronger inside, however, the flex and length all play a factor into how well the stick will hold up. For instance Bret Hull used a flex "67" because he liked more whip on his sticks while Chris Pronger, I believe, uses about a 120 flex which is like using a California RedWood tree. A 120 flex stick is not made for consumer use, only pro stock by the way. Nagy uses about an 80-85 flex but cuts it down to the middle of his chest. The shorter the stick the less chance it will break because the flex point has changed.

Just out of curiosity, which player's stick did you snag? If it was a bigger guy with a huge flex, the stick will last a very long time, depending on the condition and use. If it's a smaller guy with less flex, the stick will still last longer than your average consumer model.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 12:36 PM
XweekendwarriorX

ALEKSANDER SUGLOBOV only becuase he had the square toe with the toe curve and not the heel or mid curve. i love this stick and im glad i got it i had options between about 7-10 different player stick but i jus picked his based on curve and height of stick.

Old
07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
ALEKSANDER SUGLOBOV only becuase he had the square toe with the toe curve and not the heel or mid curve. i love this stick and im glad i got it i had options between about 7-10 different player stick but i jus picked his based on curve and height of stick.
Well you did perfect. Always pick a stick that's right for you, not based on the player. If you REALLY like his pattern, or curve, you could call up Bauer and ask them to custom make some for you. The reason I say this is because 90% of the time, the pattern doesn't match the player on consumer sticks. Joe Sakic for example has a VERY unique pattern and doesn't allow ANYONE, except for Foresburg I think, to copy or duplicate his pattern. This includes other teammates, players, etc. The consumer "Sakic" curve is so far off that it's not even funny. There are ways to get around that, but that neither here nor there

Anyway, excellent find and if you come across anymore pro stock sticks that are cheap and like their pattern, don't hesitate to buy them.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:35 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Yeah, nothing wrong with them at all. My most favorite stick(though it wound up breaking) was a Montreal pro stock. But after it broke, I looked inside and it seemed to have an extra layer of some material in it as compared to 'normal sticks 'so that might be something for added durability. Plus, pro stocks come cheaper and I hardly ever break sticks, so perfect deal if you can find something good.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 07:10 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck21 View Post
Well you did perfect. Always pick a stick that's right for you, not based on the player. If you REALLY like his pattern, or curve, you could call up Bauer and ask them to custom make some for you. The reason I say this is because 90% of the time, the pattern doesn't match the player on consumer sticks. Joe Sakic for example has a VERY unique pattern and doesn't allow ANYONE, except for Foresburg I think, to copy or duplicate his pattern. This includes other teammates, players, etc. The consumer "Sakic" curve is so far off that it's not even funny. There are ways to get around that, but that neither here nor there

Anyway, excellent find and if you come across anymore pro stock sticks that are cheap and like their pattern, don't hesitate to buy them.
So if i email or call bauer they would make me a custom made stick just for me? and if so will this cost extra?

Old
07-23-2007, 07:12 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i just got a pro stock XXX vapor Kobasew stick. i never hada pro stock before and i was a bit nervous about the durability but after reading this i feel better.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 07:14 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck21 View Post

how does this work?

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
XweekendwarriorX

I just went to the Nike/Bauer site and i created a stick and it gave me more than i expected. it gave me about 30 blades to pick from the XXX vapor o 90 stick and it gave a great description of each blade and what the player that has it uses it for. and the color scheme could of been better but overall it was sweet and im thinking about ordering me a custom one.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:43 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Pro Stock sticks aren't made to be more durable. Most are virtually the same that you can get at retail but without warranty. Some are repainted sticks(vectors painted like sickicks and the like), some have wood blades(OPSs), some have thinned out shafts and blades, some have added material to the shaft and blade. You really don't know what you're getting until you get it but do NOT expect a Pro Stock stick to last longer than it's retail version because it might or it might not.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 08:44 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

From what I have heard, pro stock sticks ARE NOT more durable. They are actually in most cases less durable. The reason for this is that most pros enjoy a stick with more whip/flex.
For example, I have heard that Jagr uses a stick with a JR flex. Hence when he powers through shots he gets great whip increasing shot power and quickness. However, more flex equals better chance of snapping the stick.
The pro stock sticks usually have no warranty because while the company will customize the stick for a player, they can not assure that a stick with a big flex will last.

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:12 PM
vincetheprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN View Post
From what I have heard, pro stock sticks ARE NOT more durable. They are actually in most cases less durable. The reason for this is that most pros enjoy a stick with more whip/flex.
For example, I have heard that Jagr uses a stick with a JR flex. Hence when he powers through shots he gets great whip increasing shot power and quickness. However, more flex equals better chance of snapping the stick.
The pro stock sticks usually have no warranty because while the company will customize the stick for a player, they can not assure that a stick with a big flex will last.
Not true. Take a noodle for example, is it easier to break it when it hasnt been cooked(stiff) or when its been cooked(flexible)?

vincetheprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincetheprince View Post
Not true. Take a noodle for example, is it easier to break it when it hasnt been cooked(stiff) or when its been cooked(flexible)?
Good point. Best not to order the Composite/Pasta Hybrids, but if you do, boil them before you use them.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:51 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN View Post
I'm not 100% sure about Jagr but I think he uses a stiff stick. Brett Hull used a 75 flex stick though.

But flex has nothing to do with durability, SOME pros like their sticks as lightweight as possible and will ask for some weight reduction... Less materials = worse durability.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:42 PM
ThatOneGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I'm not 100% sure about Jagr but I think he uses a stiff stick. Brett Hull used a 75 flex stick though.

But flex has nothing to do with durability, SOME pros like their sticks as lightweight as possible and will ask for some weight reduction... Less materials = worse durability.
Exactly, Brett Hull was a smaller guy. Jagr is just large, Ovechkin uses an 85 flex so I would assume that Jagr does to.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
TBLfan

Bret Hull was 5'11 205lbs. Not exactly small.

You can't guess a players flex based on size, there are plenty of smaller guys using stiff sticks.

Teemu Selanne is 6'0 204lbs and uses a 102 flex.

Old
08-10-2007, 11:16 PM
SSM12

I have an Alex Semin pro stock and im goign on a year with it

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote