HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Rangers Retire #68 If...

Old
07-15-2007, 01:08 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
#2 this year, legend

#9 next year, I can't understand how anyone who was old enough to watch and appreciate him does not think his # should go up!

#68 down the road IF he captains them to the cup.

Stanley Cups are the reason you retire #'s.
Unless your a legend with a franchise ala Gilbert/Bourque.

IF a hall of fame player plays for a team for a # of years at a hall of fame level and captains a team to a cup, how do you not raise the # to the rafters!

Last edited by N9Y4R: 07-15-2007 at 01:14 PM.
N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 01:17 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrempcoctail View Post
I'm not sure his career has ever needed a revival really. His time in Washington was short and below his standard, but he's always been a top player in the game.
Well I don't mean that his numbers regressed to the point where he was putting up 20 goals, 30 assists, but I don't think he was considered one of the top five players in the game during his tenure in Washington, not the way he was when he was in Pittsburgh. With the Hart nomination and Pearson win in 2006 he reached the heights he had back in his Pittsburgh days. He wasn't doing that in Washington.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 03:35 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal0708 View Post
they win the cup while he is still playing. He was partially responsible for the revival, holds several team records, and would have brought the cup back to NY as the captain.

Thoughts?

Talk to Frank Boucher, Bill Cook, Bun Cook, and Harry Howell first. Throw in Andy Bathgate as well.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 08:29 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Retire Jagr's # in NYC? NO.

One reason: He scored the overtime goal in Gretzky's last game, ruining what could have been one of the greatest hockey moments of all time.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think he'll be retired here... but what about in Pitt? They guy gets booed every time he touches the puck in Mellon Arena... I can't imagine they would even retire his number considering the terms he left on.

Thoughts?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:02 AM
blue425

No.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post

One reason: He scored the overtime goal in Gretzky's last game, ruining what could have been one of the greatest hockey moments of all time.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think he'll be retired here... but what about in Pitt? They guy gets booed every time he touches the puck in Mellon Arena... I can't imagine they would even retire his number considering the terms he left on.

Thoughts?
Nope, spot on.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty's Better View Post
There's reason you guys only have 4 (soon to be 5) retired numbers in your 80+ year history. Retired numbers are a big deal.

Greater "Rangers" who don't (and probably shouldn't) have their # retired:

Graves
JD
Ratelle
Espo

I still identify Jagr with the Pens more than anything.

other long time Rangers / Captains not for consideration

Gresh
Tkachuck
Bathgate
Park
Patrick

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
hockeygirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post

Thoughts?
Pens fan here...yeah Jagr will be retired here. We boo him, because of his attitude problem (which I am not sure that you have all seen)...still we love him just the same. He was freaking incredible back in the day!

hockeygirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Frankie41987

I dont think they should retire his number, I dont think "ranger" when i think of jagr, retiring a number is defiantly more than just numbers. Leetch is a name you guys should retire, graves also... but what do i know, im an islander fan

Frankie41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Fletch

Frankie...

that's because we were so used to seeing Jagr play against the Rangers for so long (and Jagr's command of the English language isn't such that he's comfortable speaking). I do feel that way often too. Of the current players, you look at a guy like Lundqvist and think 'Ranger.' But, Mess came here when he was 30 (Jagr was 31) and became a 'Ranger', so perhaps Jagr too can become a 'Ranger'.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that's because we were so used to seeing Jagr play against the Rangers for so long (and Jagr's command of the English language isn't such that he's comfortable speaking). I do feel that way often too. Of the current players, you look at a guy like Lundqvist and think 'Ranger.' But, Mess came here when he was 30 (Jagr was 31) and became a 'Ranger', so perhaps Jagr too can become a 'Ranger'.
I don't think Jagr will hang around for long enough. He said that if he is not on top of
his game he will retire. couple more years maybe...is that long enough to make a contender out our lot.....not when I see the Ducks beefing up like they did.

Old
07-20-2007, 04:43 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
my take is it all depends on how long he plays here. with the scoring record and if he can move up on the all time rangers scoring list then yes. even if the rangers won the cup this year and jagr retired i dont care if he broke wayne gretzkys single season point streak id say no.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 05:45 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Going a bit off topic here. Can someone explain to me why Andy Bathgate didnt have his number retired? He was great in rangers and he spent majority of his career there.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
skymachine

I would have his number retired. Only one other captain in Rangers history has lead a Rangers team to a cup in the last 67 years. If the Rangers were to bring the cup home and Jagr had a big impact during the playoffs, then there is no doubt in my mind his number would be raised. Plus, he hold the single season goals and points record...that would just be the cherry on top.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 05:41 PM
tjs252

I definitely think it'll make for an interesting debate if we win the cup with him as captain.

I don't think there's enough time for him left for him to get it simply on "Ranger merit" as there are more productive players than him still waiting for the retirement.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krndevil View Post
Going a bit off topic here. Can someone explain to me why Andy Bathgate didnt have his number retired? He was great in rangers and he spent majority of his career there.
beats me....I would like to know what's behind the thinking.....

Old
07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
There's reason you guys only have 4 (soon to be 5) retired numbers in your 80+ year history. Retired numbers are a big deal.

Graves
JD
Ratelle
Espo

I couldn't agree more!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 01:35 PM
TomLaidlaw

I didn't read through this thread but my feelings on this are very simple. There is NO way Jagr should have his # retired with the NY Rangers. I don't care if he wins two cups the next two years.
I like that the Rangers have been very picky about which numbers they retired. It makes it mean something. One criteria for retiring a number should be that the guy actually played the majority of his career with the NY Rangers. Jagr is a Penguin.
That's why I stand by my feelings of Messier getting his number retired. I hate when two teams retire someones number NY/EDM. Messiers # should have only been retired by the Oilers. Before people turn up their idiot meter and flame me for saying that, I love Messier and will always love him for bringing us the cup. However, I view him as an Oiler. He won more cups there, he played more seasons there. I think when someone has their jersey retired in seperate places it loses its meaning. In my mind once we put Leetch up there it should have been #1, #2, #7, #35 up there and no one else for quite some time.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
TomLaidlaw

I just read this thread. I can't believe some of the stuff i read.

How could this organization ever look Adam Graves in the face if they retired Jagrs number and not his.

"hey Adam, we know you were the heart and soul of this team for a decade, scored 50 goals in a season for us, were a main piece of us winning the Stanley Cup, always stuck up for your teammates, sacrificed your back by standing in front of the net and taking a beating every night, and did more for the NY community than any two rangers combined" but we are gonna retire this other guys number who played 3 seasons with us and won the cup. Even though he played the majority of his career in Pittsburgh and won cups there. You understand right Adam?"

As a fanbase we tend to have very short term memory and this thread is a key example of that. We sometimes over value the present at the expense of the past.

Lets take it a step further. What if Michael Roszival wins the Conn Smythe for us and we win the Stanley Cup. Then he leaves and plays the next 10 years in NJ. Do we retire his # too? If we went by the logic in this thread we would. Because he played 3 seasons (like Jagr) and won a cup with us in which he was the playoff MVP. Who cares if he plays the next 10 years with a different team and is never identified as a Ranger, he won 1 cup with us so he should get his jersey retired. The more I think about this the more ridiculous this notion becomes.

Rant Over

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:00 PM
chosen

Quote:

Graves
JD
Ratelle
Espo

You left out one guy who is better than all the ones you mentioned:

Brad Park

P.S. How on Earth, did JD make that list?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I think John Davidson should have his number retired for 2 reasons

1- he wore 00- no one else is gonna wear that

2- he was one of the best Ranger goalies and was a huge part of this organization for so very long- the fans love him, players love him- y shouldnt he?
How about because he wasn't that good a goalie?

Old
07-23-2007, 02:06 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Jagr is a more skilled hockey player and that is the ONLY thing he has on Graves

Graves:
* was a better leader
* was a harder worker on the ice
* was more of a fan favorite
* was a better off-ice guy (not saying Jagr is a bad guy, but Grave's work with charity and the fans is unparalleled)
* was a more complete hockey player (hitting, fighting, defending teammates, offense, defense)
* has a Stanley Cup

No, in my opinion, better numbers does not displace ALL of that. Thats why a guy like Ken Daneyko has his number retired. Because stats will get you into the hall of fame. But you have to have more than that to have the ultimate honor of a retired number.
I liked Graves a lot but retiring his number would be a joke.

Old
07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
I'm not one to throw around retired numbers (I disagree with the Islanders retiring Bobby Nystrom's #, the other 5 are deserved though) - and I think if the Rangers win the Cup over the next 2 years, Jagr's number should get retired.
If he wins the cup, yeah I think so.. no way if he doesnt. I would probably look at this a bit differently had he spent more of his career in NY. Out of 17 NHL seasons, he's played 2.5 in NY. Thats not alot of time to justify much of anything without a cup or cup final.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote