HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quietly injecting youth in camp?

Old
07-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Callahan...

there are two points to be made.

First, since Ryan played in less than 25 games last season, I believe that qualifies him as a rookie and thus eligible for a Calder Trophy (not suggesting he'd be in the running, just spelling out the definition of a rookie).

Second, he played well in his 14 games in the regular season, and played well in the series against Atlanta, and was OK against Buffalo. I'm excited about the kid and he played beyond preseason expectations, but I'm not prepared to say he played 'great' just yet.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Larry Melnyk

Personally, I think we definetely see two rooks make the team at the start of the season----Staal and Callahan (Probably).....and a 50-50 chance chance for a rookie wing to also make it...

I know he's only played Juniors, but Staal is probably already a better all around player then the other guys trying for the 6th spot--Pock, Hutch and Strudwick...

Right now, I would guess Cally has the lead for a 3rd line spot...But, reallyy, it's not like he did anytrhing other then hustle to cement that job and, depending on camp play, could be maybe be replaced by Dawes...

Then we have the 4th line.. Betts is a given at C...Right now we have Holly and Orr at wings but both can easily be sat..and thus leving a spot open for, in my opinion, Cally/Dawes, Byers or Bourett...One caveat is that I think the Rangers might pick up a vet forwards and all these kids will start in Hartford....

As for D, I don't think anybody other then Staal is likely..None of Baranka, Liffiton, Taylor or whoever have played good or consistent enough on the AHL to make them a choice for the NHL--yet.....

But, there are always injuries and, no matter what, camp should be exciting with ALOT, of kids ready or near ready, fighting for spots that might not be availble yet...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
DarthSather99

It still puzzles me that people think Dubinsky will have a roster spot. This kid is not ready, barring a MIRACULOUS camp.

It is in his best interest to develop in the AHL.

I say Greg Moore has a better shot. He's more NHL ready IMO. Dubinsky has much greater long range potential and should not be messed with by making him a "checking center".

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Levitate

I don't think there's anything wrong with starting Dubinsky out as a 3rd line center, if he earns the spot in camp. He'll still get icetime and be working with some linemates that can score a bit as well.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
bleedblue94

where is byers in the list?

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think Staal is a given too, unless he has a crappy camp like he did last season.
He should be but a crowded defense may send him to the minors. I think we'll probably have a revolving door to hartford this year as having a player on the big club for only a couple of games keeps them from impacting the cap.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
where is byers in the list?
I hope Byers can replace Hollweg. Byers adds size and more scoring and is just as physical, over 200 pim last year in Hartford.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Fletch

Darth...

I don't see why Dubinsky would be a 'checking' center if he was on a line with, say, Avery and Callahan, who are better linemates than with whom he'd play in HFD. If he's ready, there's no harm in letting him play at the next level. I do have skepticims as to his readiness, citing inconsistency problems he had in the AHL last season, even in the last month, but if he were ready, I see no issue with him playing on a third line.

As for Moore - who knows. Never was impressed with him. Perhaps it's because of expectations. Thought he'd put up some points in the AHL and he put up Hollweg-type numbers. He's not that physical either, so I'm not sure what he really brings other than a body to play the PK, which I'm sure Renney would guys like Shanny instead.

Old
07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Fletch

rcallahan...

Hollweg is more physical than Byers. Byers' frame is the same as Petr Nedved's. He's slender. He needs to add more bulk and start to play more physical, especially for a guy whose game is a physical game. As for his PIMs...not sure if that's what is needed - he's not going to be an NHL heavyweight by any stretch and had stints of undisciplined play (hence the PIMs). I'd be surprised if he isn't in HFD this season.

Old
07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Hollweg is more physical than Byers. Byers' frame is the same as Petr Nedved's. He's slender. He needs to add more bulk and start to play more physical, especially for a guy whose game is a physical game. As for his PIMs...not sure if that's what is needed - he's not going to be an NHL heavyweight by any stretch and had stints of undisciplined play (hence the PIMs). I'd be surprised if he isn't in HFD this season.

Only thing Hollweg does better than Byers is the big punishing body checks. So physical in that aspect yeah I would agree that Hollweg is slightly more physical. I think Byers in another year or so will surpass Hollweg in that aspect. Maybe he will never be the same type of hitter, but he will throw the body, but overall I think I would rather see Byers mucking it up down low on a checking line that Hollweg. He is a better fighter already than Hollweg IMO. Not sure if he has as good a chin though.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Fletch

The problem with Byers...

is that a guy like Hollweg can easily knock him off his skates. Byers uses his size to possess the puck in the cycle. He can get positioning with his size. The problem with his size is that he is 190 points (about 20 pounds less than Hollweg). In the NHL, a 6'3 190 pound grinder would have a tougher time than a 5'10 210 pound grinder. Byers' style would not be as effective in the NHL, until he fills out his frame, which is not a guarantee. Right now, that's my biggest issue with him. His numbers impressed me last season because this guy seems to improve numbers-wise each year. I was a bit disappointing watching him though because he wasn't nearly as physical as I thought he would be. We'll see in a year what he can be. For the fourth line 'grinding' position, I'm not sure the Rangers need to change a lot this season. The lack of scoring from the fourth line will be less noticeable as a result of less playing time afforded to that line, and the prospects for three stronger lines ahead of the fourth line (assuming everyone stays healthy).