Notices

revisit the Riberio trade

Old
07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
MSL26
Future Hall-of-Famer

vCash: 500
revisit the Riberio trade

I was just looking at Mike Riberio's stats last season, I hadn't realized till then he led the Stars in scoring. Now I know the Stars were a low scoring team, but revisiting that trade with Montreal, where you guys rid yourselves of Niinimaa, plus got a 2008 pick in place of a 2007 pick...and picked up your leading scorer...I just think that trade is very overlooked around the league, people should be patting your GM on the back.

MSL26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Starsdude

The GM Doug Armstrong DA rarely gets props around here. He throws away #1 picks like my wife throws out diapers. His deadline deals have been disasters and drafting has been poor but yeah the ribs deal and the Hagman deal were wins anyway you cut it.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Dr GLU

He rarely gets props because the only people who talk are the ones who go out of their way to trash everything he does, including misquoting past trades.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Ribiero was a headache in Montreal.. but it was still a horrible trade for us. Niinimaa was the #6 to start the season, and was #7 before long as Mark Streit jumped in and played like a #4.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:39 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Remember when Armstrong tried to trade Brenden Morrow for those shiny beads? Good thing the league didn't let that one through.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Pillard32

Best trade Armstrong's ever made, hands down.

Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillard32
Best trade Armstrong's ever made, hands down
I disagree, that was Hagman for a 7th rounder, but there's no doubt the Ribeiro trade is one of his top three trades.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Pillard32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
I disagree, that was Hagman for a 7th rounder, but there's no doubt the Ribeiro trade is one of his top three trades.
Debatable.

Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
I like Hagman, but Ribs was a much better deal. basically DA took John Erskine, the waste of space he was, and turned him into Ribs. That is like turned dirt into gold. By far DA best deal, I would say that is one of the biggest steals in the league in the past 3 years.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:47 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
I like Hagman, but Ribs was a much better deal. basically DA took John Erskine, the waste of space he was, and turned him into Ribs. That is like turned dirt into gold. By far DA best deal, I would say that is one of the biggest steals in the league in the past 3 years.
What percentage of 7th round picks turn out to be as good as Erskine or Janni Niiminiinininininmama? (I hate his name!) I'd have to go with the Hagman deal, simply because a 7th round pick is an absolute throw away. The teams receiving Erskine & J.N. thought they were getting at least something coming their way.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:04 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
What percentage of 7th round picks turn out to be as good as Erskine or Janni Niiminiinininininmama? (I hate his name!) I'd have to go with the Hagman deal, simply because a 7th round pick is an absolute throw away. The teams receiving Erskine & J.N. thought they were getting at least something coming their way.
erskine didn't belong in this league. He was a fighter and that is it. He was a bad fighter at that. The reason I pick Ribs is because 7th rounder ( 0 value) for silver or Niiniima ( little value) for gold. I go with the latter. By the way ask MTL if Niiniimaa was something coming thier way

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
erskine didn't belong in this league. He was a fighter and that is it. He was a bad fighter at that. The reason I pick Ribs is because 7th rounder ( 0 value) for silver or Niiniima ( little value) for gold. I go with the latter. By the way ask MTL if Niiniimaa was something coming thier way
Apparently Erskine has turned into a fairly dependable blueliner on the Capitals.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 05:30 AM
None More Negative*

I didnt think Erskine was THAT bad..

None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Apparently Erskine has turned into a fairly dependable blueliner on the Capitals.
jep, but he wasn't close to the top6 in Dallas.
And as long as Washington had Muir and Heward it was clear (at least for me) he can find a spot there

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Dallasman

My BEST memory of Erskine was of a game in Edmonton here about 3 years ago. He fought Brad Winchester and the fans were going nuts when the fight started. Well, the fight progressed and the fans went from cheering to being absolutely quiet. Erskine kicked the crap out of Winchester and the fans were silent. I was the only one up and cheering Erskine on. He just laid into Brad that whole fight. Man, was I proud to be a Dallas fan after that fight. And, really, to every Oiler game I've been to when the Stars play since. Proud to wear the jersey and not afraid to hide it.

Erskine was nothing special but he really didn't hurt us much. Nothing to write home about on his defense though.

Anyways, the topic of this thread, the Riberio trade. Personally, I think DA did a great job getting a guy like that for Janne Niinimaa. His best trade to me in his tenure as GM for Dallas. The Hagman trade was a good one also. Nikky has done a lot for us and they were both solid trades in my mind.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
where you guys rid yourselves of Niinimaa

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Kavliary2000

Ribeiro got traded from Montreal because he made some very rude/indecent sexual proposals to Jean Beliveau's very attractive 20year old Grandaughter.....simple as that....it was a dump, not a hockey trade.

Kavliary2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

landing Ribs and having him be your leading scorer is not a great statement.

if poop traded for some vomit and the vomit lead the team in stink i wouldn't think of it as a great trade.

Ribs is an ok player, don't think he will ever be great, though players have bloomed later on before. he could still prove me wrong.

until i cheer this trade i want to see who the pick becomes and how they do in their career. if the pick ends up a bust or scrub player then i will be all aboard the praise train.

i am looking forward to how Ribs and the stars do this season. i will be glad that morrow will be back to full strength. best of luck to ribs and the star fans. but for me its too early to tell on this trade. looks great so far

Blue Dot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Who cares. We got rid of Janne. That's all that matters. *dances again*

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 03:27 PM
clavier71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavliary2000 View Post
Ribeiro got traded from Montreal because he made some very rude/indecent sexual proposals to Jean Beliveau's very attractive 20year old Grandaughter.....simple as that....it was a dump, not a hockey trade.
u ppl are sick

clavier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
jep, but he wasn't close to the top6 in Dallas.
And as long as Washington had Muir and Heward it was clear (at least for me) he can find a spot there
I was going to add that into my post but decided against it. From what I can tell Erskine is a lot like Rory Fitzpatrick. A good 7th defenceman who can play the roll as a 6th defenceman. On any good team he should be the 8th guy though.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 09:42 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
I was going to add that into my post but decided against it. From what I can tell Erskine is a lot like Rory Fitzpatrick. A good 7th defenceman who can play the roll as a 6th defenceman. On any good team he should be the 8th guy though.
to my original point... how many 7th round pick turn out to be a 6-8 d man in the NHL?

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
StarsRule

Kavliary2000 You are absolutely correct about Ribeiro and I, for one, will not pass judgement on him until we see how he does this year. There are A LOT of unflattering postings about him on the Internet and they don't all have to do with the sexual comment he made. I have an acquaintance in Montreal that told me Ribs was lazy, moody and could be a trouble-maker. So, until we see how this year works out I will reserve a conclusion on him. I am just glad he was only given a one year deal. Also, I don't think Army had anything to do with that trade. I think that Bob Gainey called up to see if we would take him off their hands. DA has made some REALLY BAD decisions and trades the last two or three years and I don't think this trade was his idea. I do hope he works out but there are a lot of uncertainties about him.

StarsRule is offline   Reply With Quote