HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcel Hossa - Criticized by CJ

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Gainey RULZ

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
Marcel Hossa - Criticized by CJ

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...3,438819.shtml

also on http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/...N3F70B8B8.html

(in french)

*If somebody wants to translate this article for those who don't understand french.... it will be appreciated

Old
09-23-2003, 02:35 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Good for CJ. At least he is going to stand up and challenge the players when he doesn't think they are playing to their potential. He mentioned early on that he believes in accountability, so now he delivering on that promise to push the players for more. I am sure this is music to Saint Bo's ears, as it sounds like something Bob would do in his place.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Rahan

It says Julien is not satisfied with Hossa's efforts in-game and would like to see him put more inteisity. Julien said Hossa didn't answer his "call" (I mean, he still didn't give the effort) in the second preseason game and that he's a upset about it.

Hossa says he understands what Julien means and that he must take it step by step to produce more in the NHL and that he also tries to, slowly, improve on his intensity and consistency.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Lil Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
It says Julien is not satisfied with Hossa's efforts in-game and would like to see him put more inteisity. Julien said Hossa didn't answer his "call" (I mean, he still didn't give the effort) in the second preseason game and that he's a upset about it.

Hossa says he understands what Julien means and that he must take it step by step to produce more in the NHL and that he also tries to, slowly, improve on his intensity and consistency.
Thanks for the translation!!

Old
09-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

MOVE HIM BACK TO CENTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I guess I had a bad day.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:29 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
MOVE HIM BACK TO CENTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I guess I had a bad day.
I guess I had a bad day too, because I agree. Move the kid to center and see what he can do. By moving Hossa to center, you also ensure that you give the Kid a chance to excel where he's most comfortable. If he can't cut it at Center or wing, he goes back to the minors for more seasoning.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:35 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
At least Jullien is sending a message to Hossa, which will probably motivate him. Good for Hossa in the long run

Old
09-23-2003, 07:30 PM
NYR1084

Send a message via AIM to NYR1084
Hey guys,

Theres a website, cant remember the name at the moment, but you cut the part that is in the different lanuage, and paste it in the box on the webpage, and click on what lanuage you want the website to translate the pasted lanuage into. For example, click from French into English and it will translate the french into the english for you, for free. I think its called freetranslation.com but not 100% sure.

Take it easy

Kev

Old
09-23-2003, 07:37 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFan1084
Hey guys,

Theres a website, cant remember the name at the moment, but you cut the part that is in the different lanuage, and paste it in the box on the webpage, and click on what lanuage you want the website to translate the pasted lanuage into. For example, click from French into English and it will translate the french into the english for you, for free. I think its called freetranslation.com but not 100% sure.

Take it easy

Kev
Sites like that are never 100% accurate. All we need is some good francophone to translate it for us who don't speak French.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual
Sites like that are never 100% accurate. All we need is some good francophone to translate it for us who don't speak French.
Here. Now I did my good action of the year so don't ask me anything else.

BTW This was translated using Google translator and changing a couple of words that although could make for a very good laugh, makes it pretty hard to understand. It's not perfect but it's clear enough.

----------------------------
Tuesday September 23rd, 2003 - MONTREAL (PC) -

Coach Claude Julien declared Monday that he would like to see the talented Marcel Hossa playing with more intensity. Tuesday, the attacker answered the light reproach... rather softly. Question of temperament perhaps. Undoubtedly the barrier of languages and culture difference also, the Slovak still not seeming very at ease in English and with interviews.

Julien declared, Monday, that Hossa's skills, his shot, his skating, his size, "irritate" Habs management. In the sense that he has all the talents, that it causes admiration, that it excites, that it lets hope for large things, but without delivering the goods.

Hossa agrees, but with reserves. "last season, I played only one mid-season and I hope for myself to produce more", says the 6'2" and 215 pounds player, who'll turn only 22yo in October. "I must concentrate on small things, be patient, proceed step by step."

When it is mentioned to him that the coach wishes to see it playing with more intensity, more aggressiveness, he says he understands then adds that he must use his size more and be more constant. "I'm working on it", he enssures.

The lack of constancy is a reproach often heard when speaking about Hossa, who started on fire scoring 5 goals in his first 4 games following its recall last January, but then only one during the 30 following. In total, he compiled a record of 6-7-13, and 19-13-32 in 37 games in Hamilton in the American League.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:17 AM
tinyzombies

Hossa does make a good point that he has lost a lot of development time. But that is not a point I want to hear him make. Sounds like he's talking to too many people and believing them.

What is missing is attitude. CJ is right. But maybe he is still hurt, or is not in sufficient shape? Or maybe he doesn't have confidence?

Isn't CJ supposed to talk with him first before going to the press?

Old
09-24-2003, 02:58 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual
I work for the Translation Bureau in the government although i`m not a translatorl Just for your information, english people translate from french to english and the french people translate from english to french. So what you actually need is a english bilingual person to translate to french.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:10 AM
SwedenRulez

vCash:
How can Claude Julien imagine moving Sundstrom or Ward to center (because Koivu, Kilger and Gratton are injured, so there is only 5 "centers" left) and not Hossa?!

I can't believe that he doesn't realized that Hossa is a NATURAL CENTER!!!

Old
09-24-2003, 04:19 AM
merlin

As we are all saying, he is a natural center. He's big and quick...Funny that the Canadians don't have any big centers on their line-up and are looking to get bigger there. All they have to do is to in their own backyard.

Wasn't Marcel Hossa quoted at saying that the habs we badly misusing his brother?

Old
09-24-2003, 04:50 AM
Nyclaus

Nothing but good posts here!!! Refreshing......!

Ask yourselves this question:

Can you honestly say that Hossa is ready to take on some of the best centers in the league and hold his own given his present state of mind?

Personally I don't think so. I still would be opened to the idea of giving him a chance to prove himself as a center given the circumstances but which line will you play him in? 1st? Simply not ready. 2nd? Well, Ribiero is way ahead of him there (for now of course). 3rd? 4th? I don't see Hossa as that good of a defensive player or, 8/10 minutes a game is not enough to build the confidence he needs to shine.

I think the kid's problem is that he's overthinking his game waaayyy too much....he should stick to simple things plus his defensive game, then feel his way...BUT give it all out every game, every shift!

IMvery, veryHO, that's how he's gonna succeed!

Old
09-24-2003, 05:05 AM
Habber

I'm not too worried about Hossa, I still think he's going to turn in to a good player for us. Lots of guys have this problem when they come into the league but turn out to be good players. I remember everyone saying that Joe Thornton was going to be a bust cause he had no intensity or desire in his first couple of seasons.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Darz

Pretty typical stuff. CJ wants to light a fire under Hossa's butt and probablely wants to see how he handles the criticism. If Hossa doesn't respond to CJ's satisfaction, I have a feeling he might be in for a big surprise at the end of training camp.
Isn't this exactly what happen to Hossa in training camp last year????

Old
09-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Highlander

I think the comments may have worked. TSN's story on the game last night mentioned that Hossa played a physical game and challenged people in the corners (although comments on another thread seem to differ). If we can instill some passion in this player I think he can become a strong member of the team. Not at the same level as his brother, but he can certainly rack up some points.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:17 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I'm not too worried about Hossa, I still think he's going to turn in to a good player for us. Lots of guys have this problem when they come into the league but turn out to be good players. I remember everyone saying that Joe Thornton was going to be a bust cause he had no intensity or desire in his first couple of seasons.
Yep. Most every youngster goes through the same deal, especially the bigger ones with the long, wide skating style that makes it seem like they're floating out there. The larger youngsters also have to get adjusted to their size, fill out their frame, etc.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:25 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedenRulez
How can Claude Julien imagine moving Sundstrom or Ward to center (because Koivu, Kilger and Gratton are injured, so there is only 5 "centers" left) and not Hossa?!

I can't believe that he doesn't realized that Hossa is a NATURAL CENTER!!!
Geez...that's bad news indeed! I don't know how or when
but someone in the Habs organization has labelled Hossa a
winger. That someone may or may not still be with the Habs,
and it looks like CJ is simply following someone elses
advice, without thinking for himself. That's not a good
sign. Some of the better NHL coaches have moved players out
of their "regular" positions to see how they'll react. Some
improve, some do not, but to not even try such a move when
injuries are depleting the centre's position, is a shame.
Let's hope that it doesn't take 3 more centres to get injured
before CJ thinks of moving Hossa back to centre.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:42 AM
Nyclaus

From what I read from todays paper, Hossa showed spunk while Higgs and Perez seem to dim little by little (to be expected)......maybe the kid got the message right after all!

Old
09-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Capitano

From what I've read in my travels, and as most of you stated above, Hossa is a natural center. He admits he's a better playmaker than a goalscorer. He should be playing center, no doubt about it. We always seem to try to change a player's style, it happened when we wanted LeClair to become a centerman and when we traded him he moved back to his comfortable wing and of course we've all felt the wrath for years. I would put Hossa at center but right now there is a lot of "depth" at center with Ribeiro, Perreault, Juneau, and Koivu when he's back. Personally I would trade either Perreault or Juneau to make room at center for Marcel. Like we all know, he has the tools.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
tinyzombies

Hossa is definitely a center, but the Habs need goals... badly. They're trying to see if he has any sniper in him first. I have a feeling that if he doesn't start popping goals, he will be moved back to center.

The Habs have the "luxury" of not doing it right away because they still have Perreault and Ribeiro to center the top two lines.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:32 AM
mcphee

Doesn't it piss you off that the Habs have the advantage of our advice and refuse to benefit from it. On a serious note, I'd like to understand the thought process that goes into decisions like Hossa on the wing, and Higgins for that matter. I prefer Kilger on the wing because playing center forces him to handle the puck more which is his weak point. You can improve team defense without improving your actual D men by adapting to a system that suits your abilities or lack of same.You can't compensate for a center that gets dominated most games though. Do they not, as most of us do, consider centre their most glaring weakness ? maybe they feel that giving a rookie the overall responsibility of the centre position is too much. Any ideas as to why ?

Old
09-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Doesn't it piss you off that the Habs have the advantage of our advice and refuse to benefit from it.
YES!!! They should realize that with hindsight on our side, we are NEVER wrong!!!!!

Closed Thread