HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we win with our top 6?

Old
07-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
This is hilarious. I'm reading through comments and people actually think Booth is a top 6 player "if healthy". He's not smart and has zero skill. He will never be a top 6 player. He had some success in Florida a long time ago when the league was much more high scoring. Lots has changed since then.

Kassian and Burrows are also question marks. Realistically I think we have 3 top 6 players, even then Kesler is not a playmaker at all. We have a massive deficit of skill on this team. People are in for a shock if they think we can win a playoff round, hell theres a good chance we won't make the playoffs with the new divisions.
Listen you may be right but I think Booth still has a chance and he is a power forward and that is good. He had a solid season in Florida yes. He comes to Vancouver and then he has a solid half season here I thought it was pretty good. This year he is injured almost the whole season and of course it is hard to play after coming from a injury which I don't think some people understand. 2014 season will reveal Booth if he can put up high statistics and the year after he should be proven. I don't think he has been given and chance and Higgins on a real contending team he is a bottom six player.

Also I think as soon as Horvat, Shinkaruk, Guance, Jensen etc. come in this team will have more success with the veteran support of the Sedin's and Kesler maybe even Burrows.

EDIT: I forgot one thing I think to complete our top 6 we would need a scorer which means knock out Kassian and throw in someone who is young and has 2nd line talent.

Our team in 2015

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Horvat/Guance-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson/Santorelli-Weise

I think Higgins and Shinkaruk will have to fight for that 3rd line wing and same with Richardson and Santorelli on the 4th center and Guance/Horvat. It will be hard to fit these guys we just need to let Higgins and some players contracts expire.

Last edited by Virtanen2Horvat: 07-15-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Virtanen2Horvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:25 AM
canuck4life16
NHL=HYDRA

vCash: 50
lot of time have questionable top 6 like the ducks.....

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:20 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
The Ducks top-6 was very good last year. Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Selanne, and a resurgent Koivu.

However with Ryan gone and Selanne probably gone as well, it's very likely they take a step back.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Nathan MacKinnon
Believe in BLUE

vCash: 500
Honestly I feel that we have a good enough top six to make us competitive in our division, but I don't think we will be winning or going far with it. We could use a good second line playmaker for Booth and Kesler. I think we are one top six forward away from being able to win with the team.

Nathan MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:33 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan MacKinnon View Post
Honestly I feel that we have a good enough top six to make us competitive in our division, but I don't think we will be winning or going far with it. We could use a good second line playmaker for Booth and Kesler. I think we are one top six forward away from being able to win with the team.
You do realize that "our division" is no longer the NW Division, right? We no longer have a guaranteed playoff spot thanks to playing in a weak division... This team is further away than just "one top six forward away". How many playoff whooping's do we need to take before you and the rest of the fans realize that 2011 was a magical, and probably flukey, run that will never happen with this group again. We need more than one top 6 forward. The question should be more around whether we can win with this bottom 6. I say no chance. Our 4th line is an AHL 3rd line and our 3rd line is questionable. After watching this team the past 2 and a half season plus playoff lessons I have no doubt that this team is further away then we all want to believe.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:36 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The Ducks top-6 was very good last year. Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Selanne, and a resurgent Koivu.

However with Ryan gone and Selanne probably gone as well, it's very likely they take a step back.
Their top six was pretty weak outside of the big line (Ryan/Getz/Perry).

Their 2nd line was one the weakest in the league (Beleskey-Bonino-Selanne). They alternated in Holland and Palmieri but it didn't really work.

Ducks fans were clamouring for a legit 2C - they acquired Matthew Lombardi. (lol)

The Ducks were carried by a very efficient shutdown 3rd line (Cogs-Koivu-Winnik). The hot start by the 3rd line vaulted them to a much higher seeding than they should've been at.

Last edited by kthsn: 07-15-2013 at 10:41 AM.
kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:28 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You do realize that "our division" is no longer the NW Division, right? We no longer have a guaranteed playoff spot thanks to playing in a weak division... This team is further away than just "one top six forward away". How many playoff whooping's do we need to take before you and the rest of the fans realize that 2011 was a magical, and probably flukey, run that will never happen with this group again. We need more than one top 6 forward. The question should be more around whether we can win with this bottom 6. I say no chance. Our 4th line is an AHL 3rd line and our 3rd line is questionable. After watching this team the past 2 and a half season plus playoff lessons I have no doubt that this team is further away then we all want to believe.
2011 was definitely NOT a flukey run. Say anything you want about how we got dominated by the Bruins or how we were first round exits in 2012 and 2013, but 2011 was not a flukey run. The Canucks were the best offensive team, had the best special teams, had a top two goaltending tandem, a top 5 top 4 defense, back-to-back Art Ross winners, the reigning MVP, and a Selke winning centre.

The Canucks dominated the Sharks. The Canucks would have swept the Predators if the bounces didn't keep going the Predators' way. The only trouble in the first three rounds they had was against Chicago, but even then they were up 3-0.

The 2011 run was a legitimate run. Unfortunately, management and the fans didn't realize how big of an impact losing Ehrhoff really was. In 2012, the team was much worse because they lost a 50 point defenseman and didn't consider the fact that asking the rest of the defensemen to step up in an offensive role would diminish their defensive play. They all chalked it up to injuries and "Cup hang over," which is lies.

Anyways, I agree that this group is not cut out to win the Cup. Gillis tied his own hands by giving away NTCs like candy. Can't move the Sedins, can't move Luongo, can't move Edler... too many problems with this roster to win a cup. Hopefully, by the time these contracts are up, Gillis will have learned from his mistakes, or we'll have a new GM all together.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Chubros

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, and Kesler are great.

The drop-off after that is precipitous, though. There are no other players on the roster that are even close to being legitimate top-6 guys.

That's a problem...

Besides not having the secondary scoring that an NHL team needs to be successful, it also makes it too easy for the opposition to key in on the top line. Plus, it has a detrimental knock on effect on the rest of the team's lines. Guys that should be on the third line end up on the second and so on.

But there's not much cap space so what can you do... Maybe they can get someone cheap on a one year deal or a vet on a creative bonused deal. More likely you just have to hope that one of the young guys steps up.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:05 AM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Yes are top 6 is good enough provided Daniel is 100%....Last year the gap between him and Henrik was very noticeable,and I feel like he even held Henrik back until Hank adapted....We can't afford a hobbled Daniel

OEL for Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:32 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

fwiw, as a hawks fan (so take it as you want) your top 6 isn't all that bad...you've got the sedins and kesler (if he's healthy)...that by itself isn't too bad...but, assuming luongo shows up (physically and play wise) i'd think you'd be fine. you're stuck in a pretty hard division - but fwiw the top 6 of the other teams isn't so much better than you that it will be a problem...sj, la, and the ducks all have holes in their top 6, too. calgary will be horrible - the oil will be pretty bad too (even if their fans don't get that).

imo, la is probably the deepest team in your division - but they're not great in the regular season. sj might be tougher. now that getzlaf & perry have gotten paid i have a feeling they'll both go back to sleep, so who knows re the ducks. despite their collection of #1s, the oil is still a pretty bad team; calgary, too.

i think either you or sj will win in your division. maybe la if they're not lazy during the reg season - but there's a good chance they will be

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote