HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colborne to CGY for cond. 4th round pick

Old
03-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Colborne's points per 60 is even worse than McLaren's was last season. Not only is Colborne not productive... he is simply an awful player. AND he brings nothing other than scoring to the table.
From what I understand, he has been converted to a winger just before the olympic break since which he has been very productive.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
From what I understand, he has been converted to a winger just before the olympic break since which he has been very productive.
Big fan of both leafs and flames and I can back this up that since the olympic break colborne has been put on the RW and has looked great actually, it looks like he is trying hard to impress Burke and he is finally starting to use his size to his advantage also he is amazing in the shootouts so that's a small boost.

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Big fan of both leafs and flames and I can back this up that since the olympic break colborne has been put on the RW and has looked great actually, it looks like he is trying hard to impress Burke and he is finally starting to use his size to his advantage also he is amazing in the shootouts so that's a small boost.
Yea he just never used his size when he played center. When you put him on the wing and he's against the boards, he kind of has no choice but to use his size. It's the only way he'll be effective in the NHL.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:07 PM
thewave

Quote:
Yea he just never used his size when he played center. When you put him on the wing and he's against the boards, he kind of has no choice but to use his size. It's the only way he'll be effective in the NHL.
Good point

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Albeit we paid different prices to get them, I'm much happier with his replacment; Peter Holland. I just never thought Colborne really showed anything. Looked behind the play a lot.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:34 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Albeit we paid different prices to get them, I'm much happier with his replacment; Peter Holland. I just never thought Colborne really showed anything. Looked behind the play a lot.
I caught him a few times with the Marlies. He was awesome.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:35 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Honestly if Burke thinks Bobby Ryan is soft then watching Big Joe must make him cringe

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 01:39 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I caught him a few times with the Marlies. He was awesome.
Holland or Colborne?

If Colborne, I've seen him a couple times down there too where he looked great. My assessment was based on his NHL play though.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Fogelhund

Colborne was tried on the wing here too. The guy has some ability, no question about that, it always appeared as though there wasn't enough drive. Perhaps being bounced around to another team might light a fire under him. Good Luck in Calgary, but one two goal game hardly makes the future any brighter.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Colborne was tried on the wing here too. The guy has some ability, no question about that, it always appeared as though there wasn't enough drive. Perhaps being bounced around to another team might light a fire under him. Good Luck in Calgary, but one two goal game hardly makes the future any brighter.
When? To my recollection he was not. During the preseason, Carlyle said he might try Colborne on the wing but never ended up doing so.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
When? To my recollection he was not. During the preseason, Carlyle said he might try Colborne on the wing but never ended up doing so.
He played wing in the playoffs last season, and played pretty well IIRC.

Small sample size though.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:38 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
He played wing in the playoffs last season, and played pretty well IIRC.

Small sample size though.
He played C last playoff during the Bozak injury. He may have had a shift or two on wing, but wasn't regularly used as a winger last playoffs.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Fogelhund

I think Boston played him on the wing at times too, as well as in the AHL.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:37 PM
EazyB97

He never played for the Bruins, so it must have been with Providence if he played any wing in their system.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 12:53 AM
The_Chosen_One

I still see potential in Colborne. Much like most large forwards, it does take time for them to develop. Calgary in a rebuild will probably give Colborne ample playing time.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:31 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
I still see potential in Colborne. Much like most large forwards, it does take time for them to develop. Calgary in a rebuild will probably give Colborne ample playing time.
well sometimes adversity makes u play better ....colborne is on a lousy team ..lets face it .he is really no better than holland or bodie actually ,kinda makes u realize after the top 10 picks every year the next 100 could be interchangable ,good scouting can keep a good team competitive for years ,this hockey news crap obviously doesnt watch the marlies ,the more u look at prospects ,the more u realize the bottom two lines can win u champioships
colborne will be in tough to be a bottom 2 line guy on any team .right now calgary has no pressure .but once blowhard gives his testosterone.truculance speel hes AHL BOUND

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 10:57 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Can anyone confirm the conditions on the pick ?

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Fogelhund

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=543739

A natural center who played primarily on the wing last season at Denver, Colborne is back in the middle to start his pro career.

------------------------

Old
03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Happier with Holland.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Colborne is a pretty awful hockey player, and he has literally zero intensity. Holland is better in every aspect of the game.

I hope he gets the 10 goals though lol

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Can anyone confirm the conditions on the pick ?
I believe it was 25 NHL games played, which he's already met. So we gave up a 2nd, 7th and Blacker for Holland.

At the start of the year, we had to keep Colborne on the team if we wanted to hang on to him, as he would have been claimed if sent down on waivers. He simply wasn't good enough to make the team, so the trade was the right move. He's getting playing time on a bad Calgary team, but wouldn't be earning time on the Leafs, he simply does not bring enough to the table.

Agreed with the general consensus that we've essentially replaced Colborne with Holland. Yes, Holland was more expensive, but he's also a big upgrade. I'd rather have Holland and a 4th than Colborne, Blacker, a 2nd and a 7th.

Colborne has great size and good hands, but IMO he just can't keep up with the play. Defensively, he's always just applying token pressure on the puck, never really going for it. I don't know if it's his footspeed, him being soft/lazy, or some combination of the two, but whenever he's out there the opposing team has a semi-PP, as Colborne is just not a defender you need to worry about. The following clip is an extreme example, but he has toned-down versions of this issue on pretty much every shift:

Needless to say, I'm much happier with Holland.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Quares27

Quote:
So he can't even play his natural position well? that's pretty bad. I highly doubt he's good on the wing either... maybe good relative to how bad he was at center. At 24 Colborne is a below average 4th liner. Smith, Holland, Bodie and D'Amigo have all been better when called up from the Marlies. Why would anyone want Colborne on our NHL team?

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Colborne to be next Gretzky.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote