Forwards:
LC Shaun Bily 3rd 2014
LW Kyle Maksimovich 3rd 2014
LW Patrick Fellows 7th 2013
RW Joel Wigle
LC Connor McDavid
LW Grant Hebert '97 FA
RW Graham Brulotte '97 FA
LW Andre Burakovsky (likely just here for camp, 100% expect him to be in the AHL if not the NHL this season)
RC Alex Debrincat '97 FA
RW Taylor Raddysh 1st 2014
RW Nick Betz
RW Patrick Murphy

LC Trent Fox 5th 2013
LC Dylan Strome
LW Igor Vladykovsky 2nd CHL 2014
LW Mason Marchment '95 FA
LC Trayvon Henry 15th 2013
LW Quentin Maksimovich
LW Jake Evans

LW Riley MacRae 7th 2014
LC Frankie Pucci 12th 2013
RW Derek McPhail '96 FA
RW Jack Scanlan 13th 2013

Bolded=locks (in my opinion)

Surprisingly big roster remaining. Have to think there's a few more cuts coming before the first preseason game on Saturday.

Last edited by EON 93: 08-28-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old
08-29-2014, 12:43 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 400
Looks like my instincts about FA Mason Marchment were correct. He, along with 5th round pick LD Mitchell Byrne, and 6th round pick LD Taylor Egan have all signed with the club.

http://ottershockey.com/article/thre...commit-to-erie

I'm expecting Marchment to make the team at this point, since he's now a signed '95. Byrne has a pretty good chance to make the team, especially if they decide to go with 8 D. Egan I'd expect to play a year down.

Old
08-29-2014, 12:52 PM
KnightSpit

vCash: 500
Roster Update and other things Training Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieOttersNews View Post
Looks like my instincts about FA Mason Marchment were correct. He, along with 5th round pick LD Mitchell Byrne, and 6th round pick LD Taylor Egan have all signed with the club.

http://ottershockey.com/article/thre...commit-to-erie

I'm expecting Marchment to make the team at this point, since he's now a signed '95. Byrne has an outside chance to make the team, especially if they decide to go with 8 D. Egan I'd expect to play a year down.
Otternews always great to have someone there seeing and reporting what is going on. Andre is he making some of the D., look sick ? Heard he looks like he's ready to play with Ovie ? I think the most interesting area is the D, what happens if both Donnay and MacDermid get sent back ??

My other question is, out of last years Bottom Six Forwards, who has impressed you the most and how do they all look, cause somehow or another the coach is going to have them more involved, no way he's going to goo with the roster being comprised at forward 1 Third rookies, regardless of age. Thanks for you thoughts and please tell me the SCORE BOARD is up and running and have Beer Prices changed > Yeah I know the Bud Light question is an improvident one LOL !!! Also do you have any news on the asking price for the team $$$ News says Bassin has almost inked a deal to sell, for what like 7 Million ?

Old
08-29-2014, 12:59 PM
GetOutDaKitchin

Marchment will bring some much needed size and maturity to the bottom six. His numbers last year in Cobourg indicate he may be able to chip in offensively as well. Got to think Bass makes a move for an experienced (possibly OA) top six forward. I'm not convinced Wigle can put up the numbers. Bryan Moore in the Soo, Robert Polesello in Kingston, and Daniel Milne in Owen Sound all could make some sense.

Thanks Otters News for all the updates. Hope some of the boys are stepping up. How are Debrincat and Bily looking today?

Old
08-29-2014, 01:17 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Otternews always great to have someone there seeing and reporting what is going on. Andre is he making some of the D., look sick ? Heard he looks like he's ready to play with Ovie ? I think the most interesting area is the D, what happens if both Donnay and MacDermid get sent back ??

My other question is, out of last years Bottom Six Forwards, who has impressed you the most and how do they all look, cause somehow or another the coach is going to have them more involved, no way he's going to goo with the roster being comprised at forward 1 Third rookies, regardless of age. Thanks for you thoughts and please tell me the SCORE BOARD is up and running and have Beer Prices changed > Yeah I know the Bud Light question is an improvident one LOL !!! Also do you have any news on the asking price for the team $$$ News says Bassin has almost inked a deal to sell, for what like 7 Million ?
Andre looks great, I'm not convinced he's ready for the NHL, I don't think he is strong enough yet. But he should without a doubt be in the AHL this season.

If Donnay and MacDermid both get sent back, one of the OA dmen will be traded away. I think Wigle's spot is safe. He does look better so far and I think he'll be good enough for a second line role with Strome.

So far my favorite of the returning bottom six forwards has been Quentin Maksimovich, but I only attended one scrimmage thus far, the Red vs. Blue yesterday morning. It will be interesting to see if anyone of them can step up into a top 6 role (also important to note Pettit and Wood haven't skated yet, both dealing with injuries).

Yes the new scoreboard is up and running, it looks fantastic. There's also two new small scoreboards on the east and west ends, with the score, clock, and shot count. Pretty handy.

Hopefully the prices haven't changed, they were pretty expensive last season to begin with (though reasonable when compared to other teams in the league).

Bassin is close to selling the team, I'm not sure what the price is. There are two groups in play, one of them from Erie. He said the Erie group wants the team in Erie for sure. While the other group did not specifically say they want to move the team, I hope he sells to the Erie group just to be sure. When he sells, he'll stay on for a year or two to continue his role at GM until he retires and Dave Brown takes over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
Marchment will bring some much needed size and maturity to the bottom six. His numbers last year in Cobourg indicate he may be able to chip in offensively as well. Got to think Bass makes a move for an experienced (possibly OA) top six forward. I'm not convinced Wigle can put up the numbers. Bryan Moore in the Soo, Robert Polesello in Kingston, and Daniel Milne in Owen Sound all could make some sense.

Thanks Otters News for all the updates. Hope some of the boys are stepping up. How are Debrincat and Bily looking today?
Marchment has looked good, better than pretty much every other '95 forward on the roster. I think he can be a solid third liner, physical and possibly chip in 20-25 points.

I do think a trade is coming, both sending players out and bringing one in. I think some bottom six guys will be moved to make room for the new signings. I do think a trade for a veteran top six forward (and maybe dman) could come before the season. I really would have liked Cody Payne, Niagara got a pretty good price for him.

I haven't seen DeBrincat yet. Bily looked decent in the Red vs. Blue scrimmage yesterday, nice feed to Fellows (also has looked good) for a goal. He is small, not lightning quick like Maksimovich, but very shifty and crafty with the puck.

I am going to the Gold vs. Blue scrimmage at four, I'll report back later on with some thoughts.

Old
08-29-2014, 08:14 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

11 cuts from yesterday:

LW Christian Girhiny 11th 2014
LD Bailey Newton 13th 2014
RD Jordan Sambrook 10th 2014
LW Holdyn Lansink 12th 2014
LD Cole Evans 9th 2014
RD Zach Hoffman 7th 2014
RW Jack Gill 8th 2014
LD Noah Tooke 15th 2014
RW Ryan Gruszka '96 FA
LW Chris Karabassis '97 FA
RW Matthew Galli '97 FA

10 more cuts today:

G Cosimo Lazzarino 9th 2013
G Colton Point 14th 2014
LD Ryan Wheeler '97 FA
RD Donato Cipriano '96 FA
LD Cameron White '97 FA
LW Grant Hebert '97 FA
RW Derek McPhail '96 FA
LW Igor Vladykovsky CHL 2nd 2014

Remaining Roster:

Goalies:
Devin Williams 5th 2011
Daniel Dekoning 8th 2012
Jake Lawr 2nd 2014

Defenseman:
LD TJ Fergus 8th 2013
RD Darren Raddysh 5th 2012
RD Cole Mayo 3rd 2013
LD Travis Dermott 9th 2012
LD Corey Genovese via trade
LD Jesse Saban 2nd 2013
LD Mitchell Byrne 5th 2014
LD Taylor Egan 6th 2014
RD Michael Joyaux '97 FA

Forwards:
LC Shaun Bily 3rd 2014
RW Joel Wigle via trade
LC Connor McDavid 1st 2012
LW Andre Burakovsky CHL 1st 2013 (likely just here for camp, 100% expect him to be in the AHL if not the NHL this season)
RC Alex Debrincat '97 FA
RW Nick Betz 6th 2011
RW Patrick Murphy 5th 2011
LC Trent Fox 5th 2013
LC Dylan Strome 1st 2013
LW Quentin Maksimovich 12th 2012
LW Jake Evans 2nd 2011
LW Riley MacRae 7th 2014
LC Frankie Pucci 11th 2013

Last edited by EON 93: 08-29-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old
08-30-2014, 09:05 AM
KnightSpit

FORWARDS Left and who will remain ?

Quote:
11 cuts from yesterday:

LW Christian Girhiny 11th 2014
LD Bailey Newton 13th 2014
RD Jordan Sambrook 10th 2014
LW Holdyn Lansink 12th 2014
LD Cole Evans 9th 2014
RD Zach Hoffman 7th 2014
RW Jack Gill 8th 2014
LD Noah Tooke 15th 2014
RW Ryan Gruszka '96 FA
LW Chris Karabassis '97 FA
RW Matthew Galli '97 FA

10 more cuts today:

G Cosimo Lazzarino 9th 2013
G Colton Point 14th 2014
LD Ryan Wheeler '97 FA
RD Donato Cipriano '96 FA
LD Cameron White '97 FA
LW Grant Hebert '97 FA
RW Derek McPhail '96 FA
LW Igor Vladykovsky CHL 2nd 2014

Remaining Roster:

Goalies:
Devin Williams 5th 2011
Daniel Dekoning 8th 2012
Jake Lawr 2nd 2014

Defenseman:
LD TJ Fergus 8th 2013
RD Darren Raddysh 5th 2012
RD Cole Mayo 3rd 2013
LD Travis Dermott 9th 2012
LD Corey Genovese via trade
LD Jesse Saban 2nd 2013
LD Mitchell Byrne 5th 2014
LD Taylor Egan 6th 2014
RD Michael Joyaux '97 FA

Forwards:
LC Shaun Bily 3rd 2014
RW Joel Wigle via trade
LC Connor McDavid 1st 2012
LW Andre Burakovsky CHL 1st 2013 (likely just here for camp, 100% expect him to be in the AHL if not the NHL this season)
RC Alex Debrincat '97 FA
RW Nick Betz 6th 2011
RW Patrick Murphy 5th 2011
LC Trent Fox 5th 2013
LC Dylan Strome 1st 2013
LW Quentin Maksimovich 12th 2012
LW Jake Evans 2nd 2011
LW Riley MacRae 7th 2014
LC Frankie Pucci 11th 2013
Otternews, thanks again for stellar reporting. Regarding the remaining Forwards, correct me if I am wrong, but out of the 18 Forwards left, 9 of them are Rookies, regardless of age, or how they got to camp, so that means 50% of the Forward roster has not played a single game in the OHL. So having said that, who out of the "Rookies" do you think will stick and also Wood and Petit have to be added to the mix as well, right because they are shoe in for sure. Also regarding the rookies, how is the size component, as in toughness and how big some of them are, that is a factor as well, in addition to talent and skill, as the regular season a long grind for all players, especially rookies.

Old
08-30-2014, 09:19 AM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Otternews, thanks again for stellar reporting. Regarding the remaining Forwards, correct me if I am wrong, but out of the 18 Forwards left, 9 of them are Rookies, regardless of age, or how they got to camp, so that means 50% of the Forward roster has not played a single game in the OHL. So having said that, who out of the "Rookies" do you think will stick and also Wood and Petit have to be added to the mix as well, right because they are shoe in for sure. Also regarding the rookies, how is the size component, as in toughness and how big some of them are, that is a factor as well, in addition to talent and skill, as the regular season a long grind for all players, especially rookies.
you are correct. obviously you cannot expect to have that many rookies on the team (though to be fair about Mason Marchment, he is a '95 and a very big kid so he's not your typical rookie). And yes they have 30 guys on the roster right now, 32 if you count Pettit and Wood, who should both be on the team. Pettit should be back by the start of the season (recovering from offseason surgery) while Wood I'm not so sure. Vic said he's about for at least 4 weeks with a knee injury. I've never been a fan of Wood so I wouldn't mind if they let him go.

The rookie forwards I think will stick for sure are:
RW Taylor Raddysh
LC Shaun Bily
RC Alex DeBrincat
LW Mason Marchment

So the forward roster would be something like:

LC Shaun Bily
RW Joel Wigle
LC Connor McDavid
RC Alex DeBrincat
RW Taylor Raddysh
RW Nick Betz
RW Patrick Murphy
LC Dylan Strome
LW Mason Marchment
LW Quentin Maksimovich
LW Jake Evans
LC Kyle Pettit

letting Travis Wood go. This leaves probably two spots for "bubble guys" (I expect Scanlan and MacRae to be let go)

LW Kyle Maksimovich
LW Patrick Fellows
LC Trent Fox
LC Frank Pucci

the two who don't make the cut will likely be assigned to lower levels. I think Fellows and Fox probably have the inside track here, Maksimovich probably going to the OJHL for a year.

What would the lines look like in this scenario? Who plays with McDavid?

Marchment-McDavid-DeBrincat
Raddysh-Strome-Wigle
Maksimovich-Pettit-Betz
Evans-Bily-Murphy
Fellows/Fox/Pucci/Maksimovich

I honestly have no idea, I just threw these combinations out there.

Not a very promising top six. Desperately need to sign Karlsson, perhaps trade for an import winger (Goldobin?) or an OA winger.

Old
08-30-2014, 04:43 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Lines for today's preseason game against Mississauga:

Evans-Strome-DeBrincat
Q. Maksimovich-Fox-Betz
Marchment-Bily-T. Raddysh
Fellows-Pucci-Murphy

Fergus-Mayo
Byrne-D. Raddysh
Saban-Egan

Lawr
Dekoning

Scratches: McDavid (healthy),K. Maksimovich (healthy, cut?), Scanlan (healthy, cut?), MacRae (healthy, cut?), Joyaux (healthy, cut?), Dermott (hand), Pettit (recovering from offseason surgery), Wood (knee), Genovese (healthy) Burakovsky (healthy), Wigle (healthy), Williams (healthy)

Old
08-30-2014, 08:12 PM
ottergolfer

betz with a strong game highlighted by a nice steal and goal

Stromer with a trick one of them an E N

DeBrincat had a good game lots of hustle and a few good hits took a couple as well

Cole mayo was steady and did not back down in a scuffle at the end of the game

Egan a couple great plays and a couple mis cues but i really like his huste (keep an eye on him)

Saban not very impressive

Pucci hustle hustle hustle might be another to watch

Lawar a few lucky post saves a few fat rebounds good positional play might need another year or so to break in but will be a good one .

Old
08-30-2014, 09:09 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
betz with a strong game highlighted by a nice steal and goal

Stromer with a trick one of them an E N

DeBrincat had a good game lots of hustle and a few good hits took a couple as well

Cole mayo was steady and did not back down in a scuffle at the end of the game

Egan a couple great plays and a couple mis cues but i really like his huste (keep an eye on him)

Saban not very impressive

Pucci hustle hustle hustle might be another to watch

Lawar a few lucky post saves a few fat rebounds good positional play might need another year or so to break in but will be a good one .
Add some thoughts to this.

I really like the way Betz has played so far. His hands have improved. Still not great but better. Skating still isn't great. But he has played very hard and showed a lot of hustle. Evans has been better too. And I'm loving the Marchment pickup. A nice get for a FA. Definitely think he's on the roster.

Strome had a very good game. He looks much better this season, well he looks like how he did at the end of last season. His offensive game is really picking up. If they can find a way to get quality wingers around him 70+ points is definitely within reach.

I wasn't hugely impressed with DeBrincat in the final scrimmage yesterday but he looked good today. He's quick and he plays hard.

Cole Mayo has been terrific, TJ Fergus as well. Assuming Donnay gets sent back (Dermott-Donnay, Genovese-Raddysh top 4) I'm pretty sure we'll see Fergus-Mayo as the third pairing. Both have been very poised. I like Fergus on the powerplay.

Egan has shown some flashes but he definitely needs a year down. Hopefully in the OJHL, that has worked out well for Dermott and Fergus.

Saban has been very underwhelming. I'm really starting to doubt this pick. Fergus and Mayo are both better than him right now. Could have had Graham Knott there.

Pucci is small, but he plays hard. Similar to Maksimovich. I think both may be on the outside looking in though.

Lawr was very shaky at first but settled down. His positioning is generally good but the rebound control was not at all. I still think Dekoning takes the backup job and Lawr spends a year down.

I don't know how full of a lineup this was for Mississauga but I liked the way this team played without it's biggest impact player on offense (McDavid) and defense (Dermott). Disorganized but that's to be expected in the first preseason game.

Old
09-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Duke Guy

Any update about the Otters 2 import picks this year?

Old
09-01-2014, 05:37 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Guy View Post
Any update about the Otters 2 import picks this year?
1st round pick Anton Karlsson has signed on with a team in Sweden and it's unlikely he comes over. Bassin is going to go see him when he goes to Arizona for training camp and take one last shot at him. Hopefully he can change his mind but I wouldn't get hopes up.

2nd round pick Igor Vladykovsky got cut friday night in the second round of cuts.

Old
09-01-2014, 06:54 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
1st round pick Anton Karlsson has signed on with a team in Sweden and it's unlikely he comes over. Bassin is going to go see him when he goes to Arizona for training camp and take one last shot at him. Hopefully he can change his mind but I wouldn't get hopes up.

2nd round pick Igor Vladykovsky got cut friday night in the second round of cuts.
If Az signs the Kid look for him to be in Erie this season.... from a good source

also don't be surprised if a big name player from last year finds himself playing here again .

Old
09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
If Az signs the Kid look for him to be in Erie this season.... from a good source

also don't be surprised if a big name player from last year finds himself playing here again .
If Arizona signs him yes I'd absolutely expect him in Erie.

But I'd question why Arizona would sign a 3rd round pick so quickly unless he really shows something in camp that impresses them that much, or they want him in Erie that badly. But it's not like the SHL is chopped liver when it comes to developing players.

Old
09-01-2014, 08:33 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress*
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:

drop the name.. cmon

Old
09-01-2014, 08:36 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
drop the name.. cmon
only one i could see would be Burakovsky considering he participated in Otters training camp. And even that is a very, very small chance.

Old
09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
buzzworthy

Ottergolfer, how goes it? I agree with you. AB still makes poor decisions with the puck, gets knocked down easily, and loses the puck too often. One more year here would help him greatly. I think the AHL would eat him up. He needs more body mass and strength. CB is another possibility to return. He needs more body mass. The AHL has the likes of Mike Liambas and many others like him strength-wise. Can you imagine one of those two getting run over by him? On another note, how big was the crowd and how does the new scoreboard look?

Old
09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Local Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
drop the name.. cmon
Is it Felker? Heard he was going CIS-Brock, but he is not there and he was overheard saying Erie has his rights.

Old
09-02-2014, 03:05 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzworthy View Post
Ottergolfer, how goes it? I agree with you. AB still makes poor decisions with the puck, gets knocked down easily, and loses the puck too often. One more year here would help him greatly. I think the AHL would eat him up. He needs more body mass and strength. CB is another possibility to return. He needs more body mass. The AHL has the likes of Mike Liambas and many others like him strength-wise. Can you imagine one of those two getting run over by him? On another note, how big was the crowd and how does the new scoreboard look?
I agree with some of your knocks on AB but his skill is too much. He put 87 points in his first season last year. He'd easily break 100 back here again riding shotgun with McDavid or Strome all season. I mean maybe the Caps decide not to rush him and send him back but I really, really doubt it.

As for CB he is continuing to put on strength and I believe he's ready for the AHL. Even if he's not he should go to the ECHL, he needs a step up in competition. He put up 128 points last season, there is absolutely no reason to return him for an overage season.

The crowd was pretty small, like 1700 people. Not surprised, just a preseason game.

The scoreboard looks fantastic. The new scoreboards on the east and west end are very helpful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Fan View Post
Is it Felker? Heard he was going CIS-Brock, but he is not there and he was overheard saying Erie has his rights.
I wouldn't call Felker a "big name" player, and it's confirmed he's going to CIS-Brock.

Closed Thread