HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The 5 biggest video game disappointments in 2013....so far.

Old
08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
SWTOR was a disappointment, but I wouldn't say it was THAT big of one.
It was a MAJOR disappointment. BioWare up until then was one of the giants in the gaming industry that could do no wrong. Star Wars was suppose to dethrone and usher in a whole new MMO generation. It failed to do that. After all this build up, it was utterly terrible and had to move to a free to play with pay benefits to stop from being a sink hole.

Quote:
The game has vastly improved and still has one of the best foundations out of any MMO out there, being entirely voice acted, great looking, and smooth gameplay.
Almost a year after it was released and it's a shell of what it was suppose to be.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Why wouldn't they just develop patches to fix the game, or was it THAT bad ?
Because Blizzard. This isn't the Blizzard of yore; today's Blizzard has Alzheimer's and self-destructive tendencies. Just ask a Starcraft 2 player their opinion on what Blizzard's been doing lately.

The real answer is that Diablo 3's flaws are so inherent to the game and so crippling that it really isn't something that can be fixed through patching. The entire itemization system needs to be totally scrapped and redone from scratch. That means changing the manner in which they do stats, what the stats do, item properties, drop rate, etc. Part of this means you also have to scrap the whole Auction House aspect of the game, which is the root of all evil. The existence of the Auction House meant that they had to drastically scale back the quantity of quality loot you found. It's not rare at all to go 100 hours without finding a single item upgrade for your character. Instead you'll find 99% crap, and 1% stuff that can be sold for some money on the Auction House. Getting new gear meant accumulating enough gold through playing the Auction House to buy new gear.

Blizzard can't totally rework the itemization without pissing off virtually everyone. And some of those people you are pissing off spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in the real money Auction House. What they've been doing for the past 17 months is essentially buying time with small patches and updates until enough time has passed that they can sell the real fixes as an expansion and charge you $40 for it.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
Because Blizzard. This isn't the Blizzard of yore; today's Blizzard has Alzheimer's and self-destructive tendencies. Just ask a Starcraft 2 player their opinion on what Blizzard's been doing lately.

The real answer is that Diablo 3's flaws are so inherent to the game and so crippling that it really isn't something that can be fixed through patching. The entire itemization system needs to be totally scrapped and redone from scratch. That means changing the manner in which they do stats, what the stats do, item properties, drop rate, etc. Part of this means you also have to scrap the whole Auction House aspect of the game, which is the root of all evil. The existence of the Auction House meant that they had to drastically scale back the quantity of quality loot you found. It's not rare at all to go 100 hours without finding a single item upgrade for your character. Instead you'll find 99% crap, and 1% stuff that can be sold for some money on the Auction House. Getting new gear meant accumulating enough gold through playing the Auction House to buy new gear.

Blizzard can't totally rework the itemization without pissing off virtually everyone. And some of those people you are pissing off spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in the real money Auction House. What they've been doing for the past 17 months is essentially buying time with small patches and updates until enough time has passed that they can sell the real fixes as an expansion and charge you $40 for it.
I really don't understand a lot of this. Why would patching drop rates, increasing availability of high end gear, and decreasing reliance on the RMAH require a wholesale overhaul of fundamental statistics and affixes? I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that.

The Hellfire Ring quests and increasing the value of crafting items are both positive steps forward. I've heard rumors of potentially adding some kind of "socket" quest that upon completion would account bind an item of choice and socket it. All kinds of possibilities open up after that, with potential quest lines that drastically improve or add affixes on previously worthless items. By account binding anything tinkered with, you're eliminating any RMAH profiteering off said quests.

It's incredibly hard to get right but we're headed in that direction. I'll be the first to admit the itemization system was total garbage off the bat and still is to a large extent. But to claim fixing said system would require an entire deconstruction of how you spec your characters is a little over the top.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
It was a MAJOR disappointment. BioWare up until then was one of the giants in the gaming industry that could do no wrong. Star Wars was suppose to dethrone and usher in a whole new MMO generation. It failed to do that. After all this build up, it was utterly terrible and had to move to a free to play with pay benefits to stop from being a sink hole.

Almost a year after it was released and it's a shell of what it was suppose to be.
Eh, I think you're exaggerating every sentence. BioWare is still a giant, SWTOR didn't crush them or anything, and it isn't some unseemly black stain on their record. It is a very profitable game despite its current monetization methods. BioWare did their part quite well actually. The storylines and voice acting is elite in every sense. I'll admit that they aren't all equivalent and some story arcs seem lacking, but they brought in all the major writers and actors in gaming and it shows.

"Star Wars was suppose to dethrone and usher in a whole new MMO generation." I don't think that was ever the case at all. SWTOR was supposed to challenge WoW, and it absolutely has. WoW's subscribers are down under 8 million and SWTOR's is closing in on 5 million since the surge after going F2P. You say F2P as if it is the mark of failure, but it actually could be the thing that pushes SWTOR over WoW in the next couple of years and it is why Blizzard is now hinting at going to F2P in the near future itself... Subscription games are dwindling and F2P is starting to take over the market as the dominant monetization strategy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...ng-the-future/

A year after it was released, this game is much better than it was, and is pretty much on par for what it is supposed to be. The end game is lacking considerably when compared to WoW, but Blizzard has had nearly a decade to work on theirs... SWTOR is following the natural progression that MMO's take, only they are using a superior platform and engine, and they have awesome storyline and voice acting support.

There's actually quite a bit to do now in the game, I recommend creating a character and playing through one of the storylines and seeing for yourself. It's free afterall...

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Was AC3 in 2013? God what a terrible letdown that game was. Every year after AC1 seemed to get worse.

edit: except AC2, that game was magnificent.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

The only reason SWTOR could be seen as a disappointment is finacially. It was poorly budgeted because of how poorly structure Bioware Austin was.

But right now its a F2P RPG with tons of content. You could pay what you regularly pay for a new video game and get more than 100 hours easily out of SWTOR.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:33 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
BioWare is still a giant
Except it got a bunch of their executives fired.

Quote:
SWTOR didn't crush them or anything, and it isn't some unseemly black stain on their record.
Yes it is. It's a huge black stain on their record.

Quote:
It is a very profitable game despite its current monetization methods.
I want to see that. The last I heard, they were still trying to recover.

Quote:
BioWare did their part quite well actually. The storylines and voice acting is elite in every sense. I'll admit that they aren't all equivalent and some story arcs seem lacking, but they brought in all the major writers and actors in gaming and it shows.
Great. It still was a huge bomb for at least a year.

Quote:
"Star Wars was suppose to dethrone and usher in a whole new MMO generation." I don't think that was ever the case at all.
********. Read the threads here. Read the threads and the articles before it was released. The Old Republic was suppose to be the next great MMO. They targeted WoW.

Quote:
WoW's subscribers are down under 8 million and SWTOR's is closing in on 5 million since the surge after going F2P.
8 million after almost 10 years? That's pretty damn good and I would have hoped WoW lost a bunch of players. As well, 8 million subscribers vs less than half a million subscribers to SWTOR.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/7/4309...d-free-to-play

Quote:
You say F2P as if it is the mark of failure, but it actually could be the thing that pushes SWTOR over WoW in the next couple of years and it is why Blizzard is now hinting at going to F2P in the near future itself... Subscription games are dwindling and F2P is starting to take over the market as the dominant monetization strategy
It's a dangerous precedent to set. Depends on the F2P but if you have to buy to win, it's terrible.

Quote:
A year after it was released, this game is much better than it was, and is pretty much on par for what it is supposed to be. The end game is lacking considerably when compared to WoW, but Blizzard has had nearly a decade to work on theirs... SWTOR is following the natural progression that MMO's take, only they are using a superior platform and engine, and they have awesome storyline and voice acting support.
A year. And people are claiming Diablo 3 is a failure just after a year? Yeah. That makes sense. I played SWTOR for a while. It's still pretty bad and takes forever to do anything.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

The Doctors left Bioware because there contract was up, they were being helpful staying on for SWTOR.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:

Didn't everybody rip them for their latest games? I've heard no good about Dragon Age II and so much trash about Mass Effect 3's ending.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 12:20 PM
The Head Crusher

Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Was AC3 in 2013? God what a terrible letdown that game was. Every year after AC1 seemed to get worse.

edit: except AC2, that game was magnificent.
Assassins Creed 3 was in 2012

08-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Didn't everybody rip them for their latest games? I've heard no good about Dragon Age II and so much trash about Mass Effect 3's ending.
Most of the vitriol seems to be at EA for their failure though. Just rushed EA policies that destroyed franchises, the story ending pissed people off but I can't imagine a way that Mass Effect could end with people being happy their character is done.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Except it got a bunch of their executives fired.
...Their contracts ran out. That's like saying "EA lost their executives, they are garbage now." Still a pretty big deal, even when a couple people naturally cycle out. They don't suddenly lose their status because someone else is running the office, especially when people didn't like the direction those people were going in the first place...

Quote:
Yes it is. It's a huge black stain on their record.
It really isn't. You're basing your opinion on a couple of articles and looking at the game for a little bit, or from some form of forum bias. The community in the game is pretty vast, the servers are very active, and the gameplay has been drastically improved since launch. That's the beauty of MMO games. They change and adapt.

Quote:
I want to see that. The last I heard, they were still trying to recover.
They were never losing money, when the subscriptions were starting to fall to the point where they might start losing money, they switched to F2P and doubled their revenue and the game has flourished since. They are making a lot of their money now through the cartel market, which is why F2P is so desirable to the MMO market, they don't have to rely on the sale of subscriptions.

Quote:
Great. It still was a huge bomb for at least a year.
That's just being a MMO. They don't sprout overnight. WoW wasn't that great when it first came out when compared to MMO's today. No pvp, no end game, no nothing. It's impossible to come up with that much content at launch. As time progresses, they all slowly catch up.

Quote:
********. Read the threads here. Read the threads and the articles before it was released. The Old Republic was suppose to be the next great MMO. They targeted WoW.
Yeah, they all said that it was going to challenge WoW. Which is what I said. But you're like 'it was going to change gaming forever and destroy all who oppose!!1!1!1' That's just sensationalist. It has been progressing normally and building content.

Quote:
8 million after almost 10 years? That's pretty damn good and I would have hoped WoW lost a bunch of players. As well, 8 million subscribers vs less than half a million subscribers to SWTOR.
Wow was over 12 million just before SWTOR was released. All I was saying is that they are being challenged now, just like everyone expected. Also, those numbers were before their latest expansion, and they've had to modify and add servers considerably due to the surge. The actual players in the game are in the 4 million range, and they are making quite a bit off of the cartel market. Do their revenues come close to Blizzard's at the moment? Probably not, but these aren't instantaneous successes despite whatever sensationalist article you read at launch. The growth has been quite substantial and will continue to be.

Quote:
It's a dangerous precedent to set. Depends on the F2P but if you have to buy to win, it's terrible.
Well, uh, yeah. That's bad. Luckily you don't have to in SWTOR, and therefore it is good.... It's also not a dangerous precedent, it's just the dominating strategy that evolved from the marketplace.

Quote:
A year. And people are claiming Diablo 3 is a failure just after a year? Yeah. That makes sense. I played SWTOR for a while. It's still pretty bad and takes forever to do anything.
MMO's are different, as they take time and operate on evolving and applying new content. Diablo 3 was fundamentally flawed as the game was designed around the notion of pay to win. To get the best gear, you have to spend more time playing the auction house than the actual game itself. A MMO can change completely and do a 180 within a year, a standalone game can't.

I don't think you've played in the last 8 months, it sounds like you played at launch and perhaps it wasn't your style. If you've never liked Mass Effect or WoW, then you won't like SWTOR, but there really has been a massive amount of content added since they went F2P. I don't know why it takes forever for you to do stuff in the game, it is pretty instantaneous and seemless now, and frankly it has been since it went F2P a year ago.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
I'm no expert but Starcraft 2 is awesome

It's balanced and the maps are great

I'm far from good at it but it's one of the few (maybe the only one) that care about for multiplayer play

People complain all the time about everything, I don't put much stock in the fact that there is, what is likely to be, a vocal minority crying about what are likely minor issues

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I'm no expert but Starcraft 2 is awesome

It's balanced and the maps are great

I'm far from good at it but it's one of the few (maybe the only one) that care about for multiplayer play

People complain all the time about everything, I don't put much stock in the fact that there is, what is likely to be, a vocal minority crying about what are likely minor issues
I was referring more to the competitive scene. Most recently their decision to have the 3 regional finals of their main tournament on at the same time as The International 3, which is likely the largest esports event ever. Not only are they oversaturating their own game on one weekend, they're making the suicidal decision to force a fight they can't possibly win. It's a decision that has been panned by basically every major figure in the SC2 scene, and Blizzard has essentially blown off this criticism. The hockey equivalent would be scheduling 3 Stanley Cup Finals games back-to-back-to-back on the same date as the Super Bowl (if it were hypothetically possible).

Starcraft 2 is bleeding exposure and money in the competitive scene to League of Legends and Dota 2 and has been for some time. Massive blunders like this don't inspire confidence that Blizzard will turn it around anytime soon. If anything, this blunder only makes things worse by showing sponsors exactly how bad SC2 viewership is compared to LoL or Dota 2.

Old
08-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
I really don't understand a lot of this. Why would patching drop rates, increasing availability of high end gear, and decreasing reliance on the RMAH require a wholesale overhaul of fundamental statistics and affixes? I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that.
The fundamental problem is that every single character in the game is looking for the same stats: main stat, vitality, all resists, crit chance, and crit damage. All of those are incredibly boring stats that are nothing more than a number. The number of affixes it takes to achieve all 5 means there's virtually no room for other, potentially more interesting affixes. It means there's virtually no variety in item choice. In a game based mostly on loot, the loot system is underwhelming at best. Hellfire and the new crafting items are bandaids at best.

Compare it to Diablo 2, that had a wide variety of useful properties that offered genuinely interesting options. The lack of an Auction House in D2 meant that drop rates for good (but not great) items were high enough that you had good access to them, either through farming runs or trades. With some classes/builds not as item dependent as others, even a fresh account could easily work themselves up to a good level of wealth in not too long, because classes like Sorceresses could pretty easily attain the equipment necessary to do farming runs for better stuff. Even the simple fact that in D2, most of the items you used you found yourself (or bartered to get) felt more rewarding than simply buying everything you need off the Auction House.

Now, Diablo 3 isn't a bad game per-say. Some people still play it and have fun, and more power to them. But it's a worse game than Diablo 2 was and is. It has nowhere near the popularity that D2 had in it's prime. Now, supposedly they will be doing an itemization update some time in, probably, 2014. But keep in mind they've already had one fairly major itemization update (legendaries), and two separate game systems added in (Hellfire, new crafting mats/recipes) and itemization is still the dominant problem with the game.

Old
08-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

A few more
Fuse
Simcity
Remember Me
Anything for the Wii U (not Pikmin 3 or MH3U)

Darnell Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
I was referring more to the competitive scene. Most recently their decision to have the 3 regional finals of their main tournament on at the same time as The International 3, which is likely the largest esports event ever. Not only are they oversaturating their own game on one weekend, they're making the suicidal decision to force a fight they can't possibly win. It's a decision that has been panned by basically every major figure in the SC2 scene, and Blizzard has essentially blown off this criticism. The hockey equivalent would be scheduling 3 Stanley Cup Finals games back-to-back-to-back on the same date as the Super Bowl (if it were hypothetically possible).

Starcraft 2 is bleeding exposure and money in the competitive scene to League of Legends and Dota 2 and has been for some time. Massive blunders like this don't inspire confidence that Blizzard will turn it around anytime soon. If anything, this blunder only makes things worse by showing sponsors exactly how bad SC2 viewership is compared to LoL or Dota 2.
I am not at all in the competitive scene

Do you think it's a really big deal?

Obviously those who are invested in the scene won't be happy but how much money does Blizzard make from it? It can't be that much can it?

Needless to say the changes don't sound all that great and if Blizzard is laughing off criticism it's never a good sign...

Still Blizzard remains one of my top developpers (I never got into "click until you break your mous" er..... I mean Diablo)

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 09:44 PM
blue425

That Streets of Rage Remake still hasn't seen an official release. What the **** Sega?

As far as what came out? Aliens for certain.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
The fundamental problem is that every single character in the game is looking for the same stats: main stat, vitality, all resists, crit chance, and crit damage. All of those are incredibly boring stats that are nothing more than a number. The number of affixes it takes to achieve all 5 means there's virtually no room for other, potentially more interesting affixes. It means there's virtually no variety in item choice. In a game based mostly on loot, the loot system is underwhelming at best. Hellfire and the new crafting items are bandaids at best.

Compare it to Diablo 2, that had a wide variety of useful properties that offered genuinely interesting options. The lack of an Auction House in D2 meant that drop rates for good (but not great) items were high enough that you had good access to them, either through farming runs or trades. With some classes/builds not as item dependent as others, even a fresh account could easily work themselves up to a good level of wealth in not too long, because classes like Sorceresses could pretty easily attain the equipment necessary to do farming runs for better stuff. Even the simple fact that in D2, most of the items you used you found yourself (or bartered to get) felt more rewarding than simply buying everything you need off the Auction House.

Now, Diablo 3 isn't a bad game per-say. Some people still play it and have fun, and more power to them. But it's a worse game than Diablo 2 was and is. It has nowhere near the popularity that D2 had in it's prime. Now, supposedly they will be doing an itemization update some time in, probably, 2014. But keep in mind they've already had one fairly major itemization update (legendaries), and two separate game systems added in (Hellfire, new crafting mats/recipes) and itemization is still the dominant problem with the game.
I like the idea of the auction house, in essence at least. D2 is probably the game I've played the most in my life, and for anyone that logged massive hours in it and were somewhat into PvP, you didn't get your good items from farming (as if there were anybody actually "farming" and not having bots do the job for them) or trading in game. Most people were on JSP and traded with JSP money, money that could be bought with real life money... Which isn't far from what the developers tried to do with the auction house. My guess is that they saw that their trading system was broken in D2 and didn't fit the players' needs and when they saw the tremendous success JSP had, they tried to implement the idea within D3.

I've played through D3 once, but I didn't get into it at all. I'm just puzzled by the fact they drifted away from the skill trees/runewords/drop rates/stats/classes that made D2 the success it was. They tried to fix something that wasn't broken, and it just doesn't have the same appeal D2 had.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Captain Awesome

That list is utter crap, it's either written by someone who never plays games or just plays whatever's on the surface and popular. And mostly, it's wrong. Any idiot knows games based off of movies are always bad, for a start.

As for Bioware, I haven't really been a fan since their expansion work in NWN, maybe Jade Empire. If you look at their track record over the last couple of years you have SWTOR which was a financial failure for them, ME3 which seemed to piss a lot of people off to the point where they had to offer a free ending, and then there was Dragon Age 2 that pissed everyone off and completely changed the gameplay of the first. You can see the influence of EA creeping in, and that the two co-founding CEOs of this company since its inception left the company speaks volumes. At this rate, Bioware is a name that isn't going to matter in 5 or 10 years. It'll be another huge studio that EA ruined.

I think D3 is a huge disappointment, it's bad enough that they have all those awful methods of DRM and the RMAH, it just isn't anywhere nearly as good as Diablo II. Those are some big shoes to fill, but I think it's more about the warped view they made this game with. This game is clearly based around how much money they could make with it after release, and also assumes that the customer is an enemy that is there to steal your game and screw you out of money. It's just an incredibly cynically designed game. It might as well come with a note saying, "Hey, this is a note from Blizzard, **** you for buying our game legally, have fun with the DRM, *******."

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Bioware was still putting out good games until the past few years.

DA:O came out in 2009. Huge hit. Many people think of this game as one of the top RPGs ever.

Mass Effect 2 came out in 2010. This one is mixed, many people like it more than 1, many people thought didn't like it as much. However, it's nowhere near being a hated game.

It was in 2011 where DA2, SWTOR, followed by ME3 (which was actually a good game until they destroyed the ending) in 2012 really bit Bioware in the ass.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Why wouldn't they just develop patches to fix the game, or was it THAT bad ?
Yes, it's that bad.

Other than the gameplay, everything is a disappointement. Starting with the lore. Killing Deckard Cain isn't a bad choice on its own, but the way they killed him is really, for a lack of better words, stupid. Cain has survived Tristram. Twice. He got captured and survived even the most hostiles lands... Yet he dies to a butterfly and 5 of her guards ? No sense. I also feel like the bosses are way too WoWish. What on Earth is a Rakanoth ? They lack the grim identity we've previously seen with D1 and D2. It's like Blizzard wanted to target the largest audience possible. I mean, you cannot be possibly serious when someone can kill you with his farts. Well Ghom can.

We're in 2013, also. Open worlds are now the norm, not the exception. Sanctuary has been mapped since 2000, we know what it looks like. It looks awesome, I wanna visit all of its places. So why am I still limited to 4 acts that look almost exactly like what I've already been through in D2 ?

The economy/itemization/customization ? let's not even talk about that. Horse has been beaten to death already.

Thing is, we don't even know where Blizzard is going. They've been dead silent and pretty much ignored the community as a whole. But we do know we won't see new content until late november/december. I'm still keeping in touch with the game because nostalgia is a damn thing, but Diablo 3 is really not the game I expected. I miss Blizzard North.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Bioware was still putting out good games until the past few years.

DA:O came out in 2009. Huge hit. Many people think of this game as one of the top RPGs ever.

Mass Effect 2 came out in 2010. This one is mixed, many people like it more than 1, many people thought didn't like it as much. However, it's nowhere near being a hated game.

It was in 2011 where DA2, SWTOR, followed by ME3 (which was actually a good game until they destroyed the ending) in 2012 really bit Bioware in the ass.
That DA:O is considered one of the top RPGs ever shows how short a memory or how young the audience judging it is. I'm only 24, but I've played enough RPG's to know that DA:O is pretty average. Bioware's RPGs are just incredibly formulaic. I'm not saying Bioware has made bad games since Jade Empire, it's my opinion that Bioware is nothing special.

I'm not really sure why you feel the need to defend them, unless you work for them. In the inudstry games that have become "huge hits" in the last gen have mostly been unimaginative, incredibly polished, homogeneous junk. Being popular doesn't mean it's good, it just means that it appeals to the lowest common denominator of the gaming pool.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote